Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

want a Hydra mutate spell

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I quite like the mutate spells! I have lined up the secondary schools of my wizards so that they will be able to use these fun alternate spells.

A while back a few people have pointed out that balance, which is supposed to encompass all schools, lacks any spell to deal spirit type damage. I suggested a mutate hydra spell. I just don't want the idea to die. I don't think that the mutate would be bad I know that the spell would not change schools, but with the mastery amulets floating around I don't think it matters much.
I do remember people wanting to add several effects to each attack of the spirit hydra. I myself would be happy with just the spirit school damage. I am pretty sure that the hydra mutate would require a level restriction higher than storm phoneix.
If you like the idea please leave a comment to show your support. If you feel that a hydra mutate card will break the game please tell us why.
ps: I thought about making the hydra mutate a myth school spell, since it does multiple attacks, but people are so worked up about earthquake and myth mastery amulets as it is...

Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
zebulous wrote:
I quite like the mutate spells! I have lined up the secondary schools of my wizards so that they will be able to use these fun alternate spells.

A while back a few people have pointed out that balance, which is supposed to encompass all schools, lacks any spell to deal spirit type damage. I suggested a mutate hydra spell. I just don't want the idea to die. I don't think that the mutate would be bad I know that the spell would not change schools, but with the mastery amulets floating around I don't think it matters much.
I do remember people wanting to add several effects to each attack of the spirit hydra. I myself would be happy with just the spirit school damage. I am pretty sure that the hydra mutate would require a level restriction higher than storm phoneix.
If you like the idea please leave a comment to show your support. If you feel that a hydra mutate card will break the game please tell us why.
ps: I thought about making the hydra mutate a myth school spell, since it does multiple attacks, but people are so worked up about earthquake and myth mastery amulets as it is...

I think its a fine idea. I would love if it was identical to hydra (though perhaps with a bit of a damage boost as if you had applied monstrous or some such which seems to be about right for mutates) costing the same number of pips and dealing spirit damage. I think that the balance to it should be that it is extremely difficult to get treasure card versions of it.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I would love a hydra that did spirit damage. I can't really see how it would 'break' the game to have such a spell.

Hannah Lifebringer level 60 Life

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
ejay25 wrote:
how many pips would it take

All mutate spells cost the same number of pips and have the same accuracy as the original spell. The difference is, the mutated spell is now a different school's spell, they deal damage of their new school. If you change a wyvern into a fire wyvern then ice wizards can't spend power pips to cast it, but fire wizards can. Mutate spells also can only be learned by high level wizards, so the mutated versions usually deal more damage or have an added effect; such as adding a trap after dealing damage. If they make a spirit mutate of hydra, and it stays a balance spell, that would depart from the current mutate setup.
I am not sure it matters if it changes schools though, we have mastery amulets and the point really is just to have it deal myth, life, and death damage. I kinda want to get awesome use out of spirit blade and spirit trap, like wizards currently get by using elemental blade and elemental trap.
Though it may be interesting to mutate it so that it deals moon, star, and sun damage... The moon damage from insane bolt is just so fun! there are no resistances to those damage types, but that makes it kinda hard to boost: as mutates are temporary treasure cards, we can't use sun spells to boost them, and only plain traps (curse/ hex) and balance blades would work...