Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Very Upset Parent

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
26
Though I agree that most of the kids do go to far with the language on this game. It is more annoying than anything.

Some of the punishments you parents list ( and I am a parent too), imply that only young kids are doing what you say.

There are many teenagers, college kids, and adults on this game as well. They use what you call vulgar language because it is how they talk in every day life.

If your child is not old enough to deal with people's everyday language, then they should not be allowed to chat and see what is being said.

OR, as a parent, monitor what your child is doing if you think they are being adversly affected by what is going on around them.

I like to cuss at the monsters sometimes. Like I said, I am a parent as well. I dont want to have my account frozen because I say a bad word, and the parent of a 6 year old reports me.

Think of ALL of the people on the game, not just the young kids...and ALL of the consequences that would incur if your ideas were put into place.

Slow down! Back up! And parent your children. That is your job, not KI!

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
144
LariceCat wrote:
I agree, BUT i sort of dissagree. I am a kid, so that clears things up.
Only a couple of kids "curse" on W101, and those who do use subs for words. W101 would be a lot duller with words like bench, fun, sit, and witch removed. A person who used those words innapropriatly should be reported and converted to dull dull dull menu chat.
By the way, you can't report someone in a battle or pvp, and in a pvp match, you usually can't find a person afterwards, and pvps are where most cursing occurs.

Scarlet Ironflame, Death
Pet= Krok


Attempted Javascript Attack With COLOR



bravo for reporting others who use foul language and stating that you will continue to do so KI pay attention this message I quoted is from your target base and they don't like the foul launge.
personaly i think the "I need a girl/guy" should be on the forbiden list of words as well and that anyone flagged for this more than once should be permanant mute, the cursing and such that is

Survivor
Aug 22, 2008
23
A few days ago I had a situtation in PVP that just knocked me off my chair. Two people on the opposing team were using completely disgusting language. I also asked them to stop it. I also got the pipe down lady. Then more vulgar words thrown at me.

There was also a girl on my team who's charachter happened to be a darker color. I must commend her because through out the whole thing she never said a word. Well I'm pretty sure you can tell what they said to her.

I had to say something to them. What they were doing was completely inapproperate. Especially for a game that, in all inense purposes, is intended for kids.

Well i did report them after the fact. I was told by Mr Lincoln that they are working on a way to report other users while in battle. So hopefully something will be coming out soon.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2009
3
koolkid12 wrote:
Uhh, Kids cant help the fact they can't use Filthy Language, It's they're nature.

it is not kids nature to talk like that!! the attitude of the kid is usually picked up from there parents from when they were little. including the things they say.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2008
41
look, i had a situation in arena, right after my match, i saw 3 people swearing. one was COMPLETELY sure that black was better than white (not saying i am either) but he said HE was black and it was better. we got in a huge verbal fight because he wouldn't stop insulting me and he said something else (i will NOT REAPEAT) and it made me EXTREMELY mad, i reported his friend for swearing, then after i decided i would go almost insane with it, i reported him, then left to different realm, i am surprised i made it out of there without serious damage. (i'm still quite shaken about it) but it was completely horrible, both of the people i reported had the name blaze. oh, and the one i had the verbal fight with, he also said he was in a really bad group. (trying to censor words because this needs to be done) people dont realize the power words have. (a friend told me that when i told her about it) i hate it, and i never want to do that again. so people, dont swear, even if it is daily language, because people may report, i also warned them before reporting. it's not cool, and if you use it like this, you WILL be reported by someone. dont swear at all. and dont forget about the IGNORE button, i forgot to do that to both of them.
i am just a kid

Survivor
May 27, 2009
16
I'm am 21 going on 22 in August. I've been playing this game sence about march. Yes i do use bad words when I play this game. Its not right but I do. I mostly play in perfect area where there is very little amount of people. Parents should not be getting mad at the people who say it but should get mad at them self if there kid is can control what there kid says. Hello!!! Just tell them they can't play. Heck sell your computer if you have to. I don't swear in crowded areas and i do report people who do and spamers. If you don't like what is being said the just leave the game. Its really sad when parents just complain about everything. DO something about it insted of just sitting there like your kids and complaining about everything others do. Report them and like i said before if you don't like it well....just leave the game. Also i have a 6 year old about to be 7 also in august who knows what and where to say things. He reports more then I do. He acts more like an adult then most adults we know and on these message boards. Thats all i got to say.

Survivor
May 27, 2009
16
DearXBongo wrote:
koolkid12 wrote:
Uhh, Kids cant help the fact they can't use Filthy Language, It's they're nature.

it is not kids nature to talk like that!! the attitude of the kid is usually picked up from there parents from when they were little. including the things they say.


Parents listen. It is a kid nature now a days that will use Filthy words. Don't blame other parents cuz your to blame to. Plus, now a days most kids learn from the're friends and t.v. So don't sit there and say you have bad parents cuz they say bad things. I'm not trying to be mean but your are worse then the bad parents. Thats all.

Defender
Feb 24, 2009
144
I 'm a kid here and i'm tired of cursing too. i've only seen it once and i reported her and then she said she'd report me back but i pressed esc. and quit for an hour. Anyways, i also have a couple words to be cut off hello, cass.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
20
A Note to Parents and Childeren: From Koolkid12
Guys this "Child Thread" Is getting out of hand, Of course childeren curse and cuss and so on,Like you never Did. They can't help it! KingsIsle is not In any way shape or form responsible for any actions At home, It is your job, Now Look at your child, When ever you have time, And ask this question, "Is any one cussing or bothering you" If yes, Then Handle it at the moment! Dont sit around do something, Now if it is another case and he hears Bad Words at home, Then YOU are responsible, And you point the finger at yourself, It is YOUR FAULT, Not KingsIsle, Yours, Not his friend, Not your friend, Yours. I hope this makes an improvement to Parents and childeren out there! So think about it.
Regards now and always,
Koolkid12

Survivor
May 27, 2009
16
Thanks KoolKid for saying what i said in better writing. It is are fault if are kids pick up what we say. I'm not the best parent but I try the best I can. If I her my kid say bad words I tell him thats its ok as long as your with me. Not online, not with mom, your friends, or online. Thats the best I can do to help things. He knows now that he can't use bad words unless its with me and just me. Its not the best thing to do but it helps.

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
101
koolkid12 wrote:
A Note to Parents and Childeren: From Koolkid12
Guys this "Child Thread" Is getting out of hand, Of course childeren curse and cuss and so on,Like you never Did. They can't help it! KingsIsle is not In any way shape or form responsible for any actions At home, It is your job, Now Look at your child, When ever you have time, And ask this question, "Is any one cussing or bothering you" If yes, Then Handle it at the moment! Dont sit around do something, Now if it is another case and he hears Bad Words at home, Then YOU are responsible, And you point the finger at yourself, It is YOUR FAULT, Not KingsIsle, Yours, Not his friend, Not your friend, Yours. I hope this makes an improvement to Parents and childeren out there! So think about it.
Regards now and always,
Koolkid12


But the game world that KI has created IS their house. And if KI allows other gamers to be rude, insulting, make flaming/racist statements, troll or harass other users... then it is KI's fault. Wizards 101 is KI's house. It is their creation. It is their world. They are the only ones who can control what happens in that world. Should parents mind their children better? Yes. But I'm not convinced that all the negative behavior stems solely from kids on the board. There are just as many young adults and older adults capable of being jerks too. And it's KI's job to monitor that environment to keep all players (adults and children) mindful of the rules.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
38
jcsandals wrote:
darkwater, and creators,
Thank you for the clarification. I understand a little bit better. Now I am glad for this.
If it could be possible in the future to be able to limit the amont of numbers used would be better. numbers are specially good for the short time to comunicate with the other players in a battle. Possiblly limiting the numbers to be used just in battle, and be limit to the hundreths place. just something to think about.
Thanks again.
jcsandals


I really think that if it will prevent even one child from passing on an address or telephone number then I would rather that no changes be made. Leave the numbers out.

I am very frustrated by the dictionary but I can not even think of trading my convenience for some child's safety.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
38
It is weird but when I was growing up kids were not allowed to curse and grown ups were allowed to curse only on the volleyball court.

Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
51
what i think they should do if their cursing is to ban them from wizard101 for a certain time and log them back on with no crowns,gold,experince,and arena tickets.and they cant use text chat aswell.(good idea for the Wizard101 staff and possibly kingisle)
not only that a few months ago there were 2 boys and a girl yelling "WHO WANTS TO TAKE A SHOWER WITH ME??"these guys SHOULD have been banned.







Eric SpiritSheild level27 studnet of fire.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
10
Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
22
jcsandals wrote:
hey,
I agree with the parents on this page. I witness alot of vulgar words myself. So now I get on when the kids are at school.
I do believe that somethings shouldent be censored such as numbers. I dont understand the relevence of this. if someone asks how many frogs i have i have to say "for", or in a battle and ask how many myth traps are in hand. I do believe that the creaters are doing a great job with the filter program. I believe also there should be harsh punishments for it. Some words should be tagged if possible. Like "mother" . I have witnessed that several times. The texting for it shows "mother ... " It is good in all but i believe in this case anything after mother should tag mother.
Punishments could consist of week of frozen account, loss of wizards (not stuff) etc. I agree with kids will be kids, however in a family oriented game these should not be a issue.
Thank you for doing a great job on keeping this game fun and safe for all ages.
james wyrmcatcher


Actually, I understand why you can't use numbers. Kids can be fooled into giving ages, telephone numbers etc. by a predator. Sorry but although it is a nuisance sometimes not to be able to tell someone something from within the game that requires using a number it is a relief to know none of my kids or others can be unsuspectingly fooled into giving any real life information.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
29
Hey XD,

All of what you parents (and kids) say is true. Although I am just a kid, I made a guy character (heh) and just a week ago at level 14, this level 2 girl walks up to me and says, "HOT!" I'm very uncomfortable with it and when I say nothing to her she says, "HOTTER!" ??????? Anyways, here is another example: Just TWO weeks ago, two boys keep on screaming in the Shopping District, "CODES FOR CARDS! CODES FOR CARDS!" I just HATE it when people say that when KingsIsle said that no one can trade codes for cards. So I tell them to stop with a friend of mine and he insults me by saying my mom sux! Well, that REALLY hurt meh and my freind knew I was a girl (although he is a guy) so he tried reporting them but he couldn't! It wouldn't allow me OR him to report them but THEY could! After that, they ran away. PISH POSH! I WAS JUST SOOO ANGRY, NO ENRAGED!

But I wan't given any punishment after that. . The LAST thing I want to say is: Oh how I hate it when kids run around saying, "Who needs a girl? or "Who needs a guy?" I always keep my distance from them usually though XD Also, I was fighting this tough boss in Krokotopia and my health was like only 200 hp. It was a dungeon so I couldn't get out and it was my LAST quest. I was nearly defeating him when POOF! A level 2 wizard pops in (don't remember adding him but i add everyone :) ) and says, "Oops." Then he flees! He just added ANOTHER slave in my battle with 435 hp!
I DIED after that! I had to start ALL over... AGAIN! (another incident emergecy caused me to leave the first try of my dungeon)

KingsIsle, you have done a GREAT job at this nice game but PLEASE! Can you have like watching administartors at least to watch over the BAD kids? And make like a button for your friends that say teleport which tells to the OTHER friend that their friend is teleporting to you then you click ok to alow them to port to you! You can say no if you tell them not to port to you! I hope you can make GREAT changes plz? Thxs if your working on it!

Oh yeah, I'm Blaze DragonFlame level 28 Adept Pyromancer FYI

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
1
DearXBongo wrote:
koolkid12 wrote:
Uhh, Kids cant help the fact they can't use Filthy Language, It's they're nature.

it is not kids nature to talk like that!! the attitude of the kid is usually picked up from there parents from when they were little. including the things they say.

exactly! so don't blame the kids. parents should point the finger at themselves.

Defender
May 28, 2009
176
I have avoided this post for a while now because all I see in here is "KI should do something", or "Blame yourself", or "Don't blame the Kids blame the Parents". The real problem here is that most of the parents posting in this forum are involved, informed individuals that probably do parent well enough to have well behaved children (most of the time), and the children that I have seen post here generally seem to be responsible, mature kids (I'd like to commend you for that). So, we really are preaching to the quire here. Parents who don't care enough or parent enough are not going to be involved enough to be posting here in the first place. So, there are only two things we can do as consumers of this product: 1. We can go out there and change the parents of the "Problem" children (impossible!) or 2. We can ask KI to monitor, restrict, and protect everyone in the system to the best of their ability. I for one think that KI has done exactly that AND has done a FANTASTIC job of it. They have built an ingenious, innovative system that I feel great about allowing my children to play.
If you don't want your kids to see what others are typing then don't give them text chat. If you do give them text chat then have some appropriate discussions with them before hand. I believe that the reason KI put the text age at 13 (Yay! I can type a number in here!) is because a 13 year old should be able to cope with inappropriate speech. If you don't think that your 13 y/o is mature enough yet then strip their privilege until they are. And please, Please, PLEASE report bad language / behavior as soon as you identify it. KI can't do it alone. We have to make the commitment to be involved for our kids and for the sake of all the other kids in the Wizard101 system.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
1
there is a thing called filtered chat which allows text chat and prevention from seeing any non-suitable words.It will also stop your own child from typeing anything that is mispelled or innapropriate i have it and i can tell when some one is saying something innapropiate but it wont show the word. you can change it on the "my account page"

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
40
Zigmon wrote:
I have avoided this post for a while now because all I see in here is "KI should do something", or "Blame yourself", or "Don't blame the Kids blame the Parents". The real problem here is that most of the parents posting in this forum are involved, informed individuals that probably do parent well enough to have well behaved children (most of the time), and the children that I have seen post here generally seem to be responsible, mature kids (I'd like to commend you for that).


Thank you 8)

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
39
I understand your frustration and your not wanting to have to change the way your children play since they aren't the ones breaking the rules but honestly, I think this game is already extremely censored so I hope it doesn't go a whole lot further unless the word in question isn't totally necessary to begin with.

I've played all sorts of games and have had all sorts of problems, usually with dirty and dishonest players and a lack of moderation from the greedy company behind it so I know the flip side of things -- a totally chaotic environment. In fact, that's why I'm here. I got so fed up with being called filthy names and stalked and KSed and treated like dirt, even by higher levels and older players (as old as 31 believe it or not; not all adults are mature...), that I quit playing to find something else.

As much as I like the peace here (compared to there), it's extremely difficult to talk in-game sometimes. Earlier, a new player asked me how you get training points and I tried to explain to him that I think you get one every four levels (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new myself) but I couldn't say 4 or four and was at a loss for how to explain myself. I couldn't even make any of my usual in-game faces.

There will always be people who enjoy breaking the rules. At least KI seems to care which isn't always the case so it'd probably suffice just to keep reporting everyone you see behaving inappropriately.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
3
You know, I'm allowed to call myself mature now I think.
But here is my opinion.
In my 6 years of playing online MMORPG's, I was pleased to find a game as filtered as Wizard101.
Games as World of Warcraft have numerous of meeting points where people chat hardly filtered, foul language is a common thing, and you know, for myself personal I learned to ignore it. Same as you watching a clip on YouTube, you will learn to ignore the comments.

In here, I do understand you are affraid of your children if you have them.
As filtered as it can be, still they manage to use it.
Now here is my point, it IS filtered enough, when my kid hears "Pipe Down Lady" he cannot make anything of it, but what he sees, so he isn't affected.
SO it's all not that bad, somethings will slip through, but... hey, my child hardly spent any time in busy area's :)> membership subscription will drag you swiftly out of the free player world and into the civilized area's where it is quite hard to find 3 more players for a dungeon.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
5
Something I do that usually shuts everyone up is.....

I just ask them why they have to be such big babies about everything?

I say it in general chat, not pointing the finger at any one person. This way no one knows if you are talking about them, which makes it hard for any one to defend them selves. Because if they do, they are pretty much saying, hey, I'm the baby you are talking about.

All kids hate being seen as a baby and they know if they respond by saying I'm not a baby that they will look like a baby. Or if they cuss back at you, you can just go something like Waahhhh, boo hoo to you!!!

Don't let them get you upset and pull you into their world. Kids are masters at doing this to us older people.

So, usually it causes a long uncomfortable silence as no one wants to respond and wants to see if someone else does.

This interrupts their attention span, and their thoughts and conversation change to other less vulgar topics.

Everytime I have done this in a game that has a large community trade channel, they stop and talk about something else. At least while I'm still around.

It hasn't failed me yet.



Survivor
May 10, 2009
24
WillowDawn wrote:
I am just about fed up with the things some Kids are doing while online
in the Wizard City Commons or Ravenwood. My family is on a Text Chat, and so my Kids can see all being said. I don't feel I need to restrict them
because there are those that choose to violate the rules.

I don't appreciate the kids being online that do nothing but curse and use
filthy vulgar language! I witnessed several Kids, and I know they were kids, judging by the ridiculous fighting and things being said by them.

When I told them to Stop cursing and fighting, one replied and cursed at me, and I will not repeat what was said other then "PIPE DOWN LADY".
Something needs to be done with these kids, and Parents need to be notified that these Kids have been reported, because there are some of us Parents that don't want our kids around that type of filthy language!

I will report anyone I See cursing and fighting because it is getting really old to listen to.





Stop blaming the kids for using language. It happens in any and everygame where you can put your words into text.. People will always find a way around the filters.

The problem is you need to be a more proactive parent. Turn off text chat for your kid. Teach your kid these words are bad and unacceptable so they can report on their own. You are just doing a quick bandaid fix to a big injury. You need to stop being lazy and go to KI about this issue, you as a parent should school and teach your kid the diffrence between right and wrong and stop expecting KI to be the online baby-sitter/ parents for your kid.