Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The "useless" spells thread

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I think it might be time for KI to re-vamp some spells that we've been complaining about. These are spells that just don't see a lot of gametime because their effects are just not very useful. Posters, please feel free to suggest revisions to other spells as well. Let the ideas fly.

Power Play
Some revision ideas:
  • change effect to +25% damage or +25% damage (randomly chosen), or
  • change effect to -25% damage bubble

Dimension Shift
Revision ideas:
  • reduce pip cost to 3

Threat reduction spells (Calm, Pacify, etc.; Mega Calm, Mega Pacify, etc.)
Revision ideas:
  • change effect to -25% accuracy charm for all Human targets in Rank 2 version
  • change effect to -45% accuracy charm + -25% damage charm for all Human targets in Rank X version

Threat generation spells (Taunt, Mega Taunt)
Revision ideas:
  • change effect to 10% blade and 20% trap added to all Human targets for Rank 2 version
  • change effect to 25% blade and 35% trap added to all Human targets for Rank X version

Polymorphs
Revision ideas:

• give all Polymorphs the same base statistics as the player when player stats are better
  • give all Polymorphs access to the player's side deck

Second Spring
Revision ideas:
  • reduce energy cost to 25
  • change effect to freeze plants at any stage of growth (ie can make plant appear young, wilted, etc.)

Reveal Fish
Revision ideas:
  • reduce energy cost to 1

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The changes to taunt/pacify make the spells into PVP-only spells instead of PVE-only like they are now.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Lucas Rain on Mar 31, 2015 wrote:
I think it might be time for KI to re-vamp some spells that we've been complaining about. These are spells that just don't see a lot of gametime because their effects are just not very useful. Posters, please feel free to suggest revisions to other spells as well. Let the ideas fly.

Power Play
Some revision ideas:
  • change effect to +25% damage or +25% damage (randomly chosen), or
  • change effect to -25% damage bubble

Dimension Shift
Revision ideas:
  • reduce pip cost to 3

Threat reduction spells (Calm, Pacify, etc.; Mega Calm, Mega Pacify, etc.)
Revision ideas:
  • change effect to -25% accuracy charm for all Human targets in Rank 2 version
  • change effect to -45% accuracy charm + -25% damage charm for all Human targets in Rank X version

Threat generation spells (Taunt, Mega Taunt)
Revision ideas:
  • change effect to 10% blade and 20% trap added to all Human targets for Rank 2 version
  • change effect to 25% blade and 35% trap added to all Human targets for Rank X version

Polymorphs
Revision ideas:

• give all Polymorphs the same base statistics as the player when player stats are better
  • give all Polymorphs access to the player's side deck

Second Spring
Revision ideas:
  • reduce energy cost to 25
  • change effect to freeze plants at any stage of growth (ie can make plant appear young, wilted, etc.)

Reveal Fish
Revision ideas:
  • reduce energy cost to 1
I probably still wouldn't use most of those spells even with those changes, mostly because I've developed strategies without them. The gardening one I don't use neither.

But being active in fishing, I strongly agree with the change to energy cost of Reveal Fish. I would like to see other utility spells reduced as well so that I can do more fishing, but that's just the cheapskate in me.

I don't typically spend Crowns on refilling energy, but others do so I can see how keeping those energy costs high will generate more revenue. The upcoming Dragonspyre fishing update uses a lot of energy by way of utility spells, in addition to the higher cost of the Rank 3 lures. I've spent thousands of Crowns in the Test Realm trying to catch fish. Once it goes live, I guess it'll just take me longer waiting for globes to refill. In some ways I suppose there's nothing wrong with that.

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
the power play idea is good my balance doesn't use it cause it helps the bosses or minions pip chance too and I don't want that

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I like the fish and Second Spring ideas.

I strongly disagree with the change to the threat manipulation spells. You're turning them to something entirely different and much stronger, especially for PvP.

Players have been asking for a change to Power Play since it was introduced. Seems like we're stuck with it. I don't like random damage boost. It would still be useless for 4 pips. You'd be better off putting up the correct bubble.

The other spells aren't likely to be used much in either form.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2013
seethe42 on Apr 1, 2015 wrote:
The changes to taunt/pacify make the spells into PVP-only spells instead of PVE-only like they are now.
Don't taunt and pacify only work with PvE? I mean with PvP they don't really do anything, it might work if the player you're going up against thinks you're laughing at them when you use taunt so they might focus attacks on you like how it happens in PvE. But still, I don't think this would be a good idea to make it PvP only
I don't think it would have much effect

Scarlet IceSword
Scarlet spellcaster
Moira Drake
Paige stormcloud
Alura nightshade

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Myth school minions and all the spells that go with them.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
skysky1030 on Apr 4, 2015 wrote:
Don't taunt and pacify only work with PvE? I mean with PvP they don't really do anything, it might work if the player you're going up against thinks you're laughing at them when you use taunt so they might focus attacks on you like how it happens in PvE. But still, I don't think this would be a good idea to make it PvP only
I don't think it would have much effect

Scarlet IceSword
Scarlet spellcaster
Moira Drake
Paige stormcloud
Alura nightshade
That's my point. The OP's suggestion would make the spells useless in PvE and only have an effect for PvP. Right now the spells are useless in PvP but have uses in PvE.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
seethe42 on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:
That's my point. The OP's suggestion would make the spells useless in PvE and only have an effect for PvP. Right now the spells are useless in PvP but have uses in PvE.
That's incorrect though. If you look closely, you'll see I specified PvP effects for *human* targets. PvE effects for AI would remain intact.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Lucas Rain on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
That's incorrect though. If you look closely, you'll see I specified PvP effects for *human* targets. PvE effects for AI would remain intact.
You didn't specify, you said to change the effects, not add different effects for PvP.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
seethe42 on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
You didn't specify, you said to change the effects, not add different effects for PvP.
Well, since there are no human targets outside of PvP, no extra level of specification should be needed.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
Now i do like the polymorph idea revisions how ever still that means that you changed into a better version of yourself and that is not suppose to happen. because your changing into a diffrent creature however. i would like it if the health was increased some. and for the power play i would like the spell to have the buff but for your allies only that way you don't buff the enemies on the other ideas i thing the comments are vaild that the pacify and taunt should stay the same.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Unless your proposed changes to Power Play replace the pip chance boost then I have to disagree with any changes to the spell. All of the other bubble spells affect the player's team and the enemy team equally so I don't see where Power Play should be any different. I wouldn't complain if it happened though because in all of the time I've played my nearly maxed-out Balance wiz I can't remember EVER using this spell.
If the changes you propose are universal and the damage boosted was for the wrong range of schools (spirit or elemental) then the spell could be devastating to your own team. As far as a -25% to damage - again, if this is universal then it would be moot.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Lucas Rain on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
Well, since there are no human targets outside of PvP, no extra level of specification should be needed.
But changing the effects, would imply changing the spell itself from one that doesn't work in PvP to one that doesn't work in PvE. Making it have separate effects for PvP and PvE is different than just a straight changing from one effect to another.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
I like and appreciate your suggestions. Power Play, especially. Except, instead of what you suggested, why does it have to be a universal ring effect? Why can't it be for allies only? A half circle, perhaps? It's Balance after all, so the cards are off the table anyway insofar as it being consistent. And especially for later bosses, a Power Play that increased power pip chance for allies only would be useful for wizards who aren't as likely - or not as apt, depending on the situation - to equip gear with a power pip percentage increase.

I know it's Balance, and as such it should be focused on lending balance to one advantage or deficiency in others. And even though TucsonWizard makes some valid points, bosses who cast out of turn/have multiple hits per turn and 30,000 health do nothing if not bring imbalance to a match. Perhaps a universal increase of 10% in overall damage? Half universal? Heck, I dunno. But I'm with everyone else when they say that Power Play is pretty much a useless spell. But apparently KI doesn't think so since they're still putting it on high-level rare and ultra-rare gear from the hoard packs in the Crowns Shop as if it's something special