Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Spell critique/improvement thread

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
After reading many threads where the main argument is "This school can hit like this so why can't I?" or "this school spell damage should be lowered because my school blah!" I started wondering about making a thread for useful spell critique that isn't based on arguments like the ones above. Why not discuss how we feel about our main schools only and talk about those particular spells and how they function in and of themselves and see if we can come up with reasonable and useful ways for them to be improved.

Or if you are satisfied with the spells design and see it as being perfect then make a case for why the spell as it is should be left alone.

I encourage you to:
Discuss a spell that you question the design of from your school.
Try to come up with a solution that is not meant to copy another school but only meant to work better for yours.

Try to not:
compare your spells function to the spell of another school, especially in terms of damage! It just makes your argument less valid and is easily readable as a complaint that falls along the line of, "its not fair because blah!"

Strength in numbers people!
If you agree or disagree with someone who is trying to represent your own main schools spell, then side up with or against them and explain why.

Try to only pick one spell, or if you truly must, no more than two spells. But please only discuss the spell you understand and don't discuss spells you do not understand. In other words, no posts like, "What does (spell name) do?"

Let's make something good of this.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, personally, I think Bezerk was the worst addition!

I mean 30% more outgoing damage if you are willing to take 40% more damage for 4 rounds? Not sure what KI was thinking on this one!

I know what Bezerk means and how it is used in other games, yes you take more damage, but you give a lot more damage than you receive!

So, if it was made like 50% out and 30-40% in, that would be acceptable, but as it stands, there are treasure cards that have 20% out and 0 in, which is way better than an extra 10% out for 40 in... This really sounds like a joke of a spell rather than a real spell.

Also was not too keen on the Mend spell. It says +20% to Heart, but it is only 20% to outgoing? If I cast Mend, I think I should also receive 20% to someone that heals me! Which would mean, 20% to incoming. Which means 20% to all healing or heart... Yes, that does actually mean, 40% in a way, because if you heal yourself, that is 20% out and 20% in, but for the level and for a training point, I don't think it is that bad of a deal, but that is not the way KI decided to make it...

So, if they are going to keep Mend the way it is, they should put, +20% outgoing heart on it.... Also, I think they should add another side effect, like +40 critical block or something to make it worth while.

Just my 2 cents!

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
I am a Myth wizard. And before I make my comment I want to say clearly that I adore being a myth wizard. I have tried almost every single class I can be, and I have not enjoyed a single one enough to make it past lvl 20. But, perhaps it is just my play style, but I do not enjoy the minion modifier spells.

I know you said only do one, but to me they are all the same class of spell and have the exact same uselessness. Shield Minion and Buff minion. To me the point of a minion is to have a secondary person attacking, making up for my personal lack of damage at times. But mostly I use them as a threat sink, because for many parts of the game I have seen myself die way too easy. So all I want in a minion is someone who damages enough to get people to not attack me. I do not care for a second about stopping him from dying because in many cases I can just summon a new one if I really need it. I should not be responsible for keeping it alive. That is it's job.

I don't think I would change them though. I would just remove them altogether. Or if it was possible change them to command cards, something I like least about my minions is the lack of control I have over them. So, I would enjoy a card that would for the next turn force your minion to cast the type on the card, for example if you play a heal card, the minion would be forced to heal you.

That's all for me.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I mean 30% more outgoing damage if you are willing to take 40% more damage for 4 rounds? Not sure what KI was thinking on this one!

I know what Bezerk means and how it is used in other games, yes you take more damage, but you give a lot more damage than you receive!

So, if it was made like 50% out and 30-40% in, that would be acceptable, but as it stands, there are treasure cards that have 20% out and 0 in, which is way better than an extra 10% out for 40 in... This really sounds like a joke of a spell rather than a real spell.

So you are taking on the Aura spells ya? Alrighty then. I must voice my agreement regarding berserk. i have played many RPG's and have never seen the incoming damage outweigh the outgoing damage for such a spell/attribute in any RPG game. This spell could use adjusting simply because there is no way I can imagine any sensible player feeling motivated to use this spell.

If you want to scare away someone from using a spell, just have the drawbacks outweigh the benefits, which as of this moment seems to be what berserk does. When I can fine tune my argument for my specific spell of choice, I will post it. Later.

Historian
May 01, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Also was not too keen on the Mend spell. It says +20% to Heart, but it is only 20% to outgoing? If I cast Mend, I think I should also receive 20% to someone that heals me! Which would mean, 20% to incoming. Which means 20% to all healing or heart... Yes, that does actually mean, 40% in a way, because if you heal yourself, that is 20% out and 20% in, but for the level and for a training point, I don't think it is that bad of a deal, but that is not the way KI decided to make it...

So, if they are going to keep Mend the way it is, they should put, +20% outgoing heart on it.... Also, I think they should add another side effect, like +40 critical block or something to make it worth while.

Just my 2 cents!

I am pretty sure they ment Bezerk for schools like storm and ice, more ice than storm, and Mend for basically for life characters and others that dont have that healing boost, from ring/athame (if we are to keep up, we need to sacrifice some boosts...) that also heal (it also effects Sprites from pets).

Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
Forest Lord is underpowered. Same with Ra.
They do 540-620 to all enemies.
Ice Angel does 100+600 to all enemies (700 total) AND Stun AND Taunt!
Wow, I thought Ice had the weak stuff!

With Forest Lord I think KI could add a 60% boost to your next healing spell. That still isn't as powerful as Ice Angel, but okay for my Life powers.

For Ra, a stun effect would be good (stun for 1 or maybe 2 rounds) because, hello? To me, blinding light in the enemy's face means STUN!

So that's how I am going to improve these two spells.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
slammer111 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Just my 2 cents!

I am pretty sure they ment Bezerk for schools like storm and ice, more ice than storm, and Mend for basically for life characters and others that dont have that healing boost, from ring/athame (if we are to keep up, we need to sacrifice some boosts...) that also heal (it also effects Sprites from pets).

I am not sure if you have ever seen a Berzerk spell in any other game, however, in any other game, you do increase the damage to yourself, however you usually increase the damage a lot more to the outgoing.

Which is why I stated, changing it to 50% out and 40% in would be fine or 40% out and 20 or 30% in would be fine, but currently, the 30% out and 40% in is a total waste, when you can get a 20% out. Why would you take 40% incoming damage for 10% more out? Does KI really think we are that incapable of doing math? Also, the spell has a heart on it and looks more like it is meant for healing. A lot of people will train this spell, losing a valuable training point thinking that it is 40% more incoming heal and 30% more outgoing heal. This is a false impression of what this spell does!

As for mend, the 20% health, as I stated, is only 20% outgoing. Yes, it is best for life, granted, it is also misrepresented. It suggests, 20% to all life spells, either incoming, or outgoing. After all, you are mending!

Now, if you were to get critical block or stun resist with this spell and it stated specifically that this spell is only 20% outgoing, it would be very well worth spending that training point for any and all schools!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
hellboy315 wrote:
Forest Lord is underpowered. Same with Ra.
They do 540-620 to all enemies.
Ice Angel does 100+600 to all enemies (700 total) AND Stun AND Taunt!
Wow, I thought Ice had the weak stuff!

With Forest Lord I think KI could add a 60% boost to your next healing spell. That still isn't as powerful as Ice Angel, but okay for my Life powers.

For Ra, a stun effect would be good (stun for 1 or maybe 2 rounds) because, hello? To me, blinding light in the enemy's face means STUN!

So that's how I am going to improve these two spells.

Please get your facts straight.
Ice Angel does not stun, it only Taunts!

Ra is quite powerful as to the only shield that can and does defend against it, is a tower shield, which can be removed by any spell in the game.

As for Forest Lord it might be slightly underpowered, but life does get good damage boosts with gear, good damage boosts with blades and this spell can be quite powerful in the 2 rounds it takes to build up pips to cast it. +40% Life Blade, +45% Life Blade, +225 Gargantuan or 275 Colossal, Means Super Powered Forest Lord and then if you critical, watch out!

Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Just my 2 cents!

The picture on the Berzerk card looks like it was meant for Death wizards (though it probably should be reversed, maybe a script error). If the spell was to be corrected, Death wizards would get back all, if not more than, the extra damage (30%) dealt to them by their 40% buffing their drains.

As for the 20% outgoing heal, Spritely IS affected by this. I also noticed when I had this up my death drain spells were strangely healing more than usual...

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Just my 2 cents!

Huh? There are spells that take out a % of the opponents health?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
hellboy315 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Just my 2 cents!

The picture on the Berzerk card looks like it was meant for Death wizards (though it probably should be reversed, maybe a script error). If the spell was to be corrected, Death wizards would get back all, if not more than, the extra damage (30%) dealt to them by their 40% buffing their drains.

As for the 20% outgoing heal, Spritely IS affected by this. I also noticed when I had this up my death drain spells were strangely healing more than usual...

The Berzerk spell has nothing to do with drain spells, incoming health or outgoing health, in fact, it has nothing to do with health at all, which is why, it's Icon is very misleading!

Berzerk gives the caster an extra 30% outgoing boost to any and all damage, like casting a 30% blade that lasts for 4 rounds.

However, you also receive at the same time, an extra 40% incoming damage from all attacks for 4 rounds. This is how this spell works...

As for mend, yes, spritely is affected by it, any spell that is outgoing will be affected by it, but if a life wizards heals you, while you have it casted, you will not gain any increase by this aura.

Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
darthjt wrote:
hellboy315 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Just my 2 cents!

The Berzerk spell has nothing to do with drain spells, incoming health or outgoing health, in fact, it has nothing to do with health at all, which is why, it's Icon is very misleading!

Berzerk gives the caster an extra 30% outgoing boost to any and all damage, like casting a 30% blade that lasts for 4 rounds.

However, you also receive at the same time, an extra 40% incoming damage from all attacks for 4 rounds. This is how this spell works...

As for mend, yes, spritely is affected by it, any spell that is outgoing will be affected by it, but if a life wizards heals you, while you have it casted, you will not gain any increase by this aura.

Do you not understand that I am saying: The more damage a drain does, the more health the wizard gets back!

And I get that for mend. I am simply saying the Wraith I cast healed more than usual.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2011
well, i just here to talk about gnomes!. I think that it would be cool if more gnomes came and made a giant sword and used it to attack the enemy.well thats it, bye

John Lightblade level 63 life wizard

"you wouldn't be here without life, "

John Mythblade level 8 myth wizard
"most spells in wizard101 are MYTHS! 8) "

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I made a thread about making useless spells useful, it lists just about every spell thats underpowered and a way to fix it. You can see it here:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215816&highlight=making+useless+spell+useful&page=3

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
karate345 wrote:
well, i just here to talk about gnomes!. I think that it would be cool if more gnomes came and made a giant sword and used it to attack the enemy.well thats it, bye

John Lightblade level 63 life wizard

"you wouldn't be here without life, "

John Mythblade level 8 myth wizard
"most spells in wizard101 are MYTHS! 8) "

By the roots of Bartleby, please do not type in such brightly colored font it is so unkind to the eyes.

Anyway, attempt 2:

For my own spell of critique I wanted to discuss earthquake. It is the third attack spell in Myth that has a base hit at or around 310 damage. We have Cyclops, Humungofrog, and Earthquake. As a myth levels up to Earth, with the exception of minotaur, our base damage does not change with our spellls so much. Now early on Myth gets it really good. We get our myth blade early, we get our minions early for deadly ambushing and we have one of the higher hitting low pip attack all spells, the frog.

But as a stand alone spell, Earthquake appears underdeveloped. For the cost of six pips a Myth can do the same amount of damage as a frog but with a special effect, this one being it strips the opponent of all wards and traps. While this is nice, this is an effect that is very situational. Since our attack power does not increase much, we would have to really weigh the benefits over the risks of spending so many pips on such a tricky, yet highly useful spell or take the hit that may be coming our way.

So I was thinking, as a way to encourage myth players to use the spell more frequently, why not reverse the effects? Before earthquake hits for damage, during the rumbling, have all the wards and charms removed. While the buffs may be limited because traps are no longer activated by contact, earth is granted free access to hit without a shield to block it. After all, a spell as powerful as earth, which can completely destroy every defense (with the exception of negative wards) that an opponent has put up, can do a better job at living up to its name by having its effect reversed.

Or maybe, have Earthquake be an X pip spell! After all, earthquakes do vary in strength and destruction.

Doing any one of these things would help earthquakes benefits outweigh the risks involved.

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
darthjt wrote:

Just my 2 cents!

It's healing. Income=Healing on you. Outgoing=What you cast. Please read.

I have no spells, I just want to ACTUALLY POINT THAT OUT.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
sparky1233334444 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Just my 2 cents!

It's healing. Income=Healing on you. Outgoing=What you cast. Please read.

I have no spells, I just want to ACTUALLY POINT THAT OUT.

First of all, you are not supposed to post words in all Caps!

Second of all, you need to take a closer look at that spell, because a fist is not healing, it is attacks. Try the spell out and see for yourself, Bezerk has nothing to do with healing, it is all attacks...

So, get your facts straight before you try and think you are so smart and correct someone, because when you realize how wrong you are, you may not like the taste of the crow you are eating.