Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The School of Alchemy: 2015 Edition

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
You find a building with a strange symbol on the door, like a test tube. This must be the address Gretta Darkkettle told you about. You walk into the Marleybonian School of Alchemy.

Christogear Golembus (Christopher Columbus > Iron Golem): (in a nasal, slightly robotic tone) “Hallo, young wizard! My name is Christogear Golembus, created by Master Danedalus (Daedalus > Marleybonian dog) to find and map out new worlds with in the Spiral.

Gretta sent you with a recommendation, yes? Excellent. Welcome to the School of Alchemy!

Alchemy is about change. It is the realization and understanding of the rules in the Spiral and how to bend them. Wizards who study Alchemy are known as Alchemists and quest for perfection. However, if they go too far, they will be consumed by their own greed! Alchemists believe that all things share a common relationship and therefore can be transmuted into different things. They use Mantras to persuade the universe to shape new creatures and turn the inanimate alive. Alchemy is the polar opposite of Balance since it disrupts the inherent balances of the Spiral.

The Alchemy School will train its student wizards to use their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses against them. They are able to turn traps in shields, shields into blades, and combine charms together. However, as the only school without any blades or traps, they must depend on other schools of magic to buff their attacks or use their enemies’ blades and traps against them. If you’re looking for something easy to study, the School of Alchemy is not for you – only with hard work and dedication will you succeed! So, don’t be discouraged when you fail at first, young wizard!”

THE SCHOOL
Their school colors are red, purple, black, and silver.

Alchemy wizards are bold, creative, but vain. Famous wizards of this magic are Isaac Newt-ton, Platopus, and Nicholas Flemming.

Alchemy Quote:
“To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.”
- Winston S. Churchill

Alchemy Official Symbol: The symbol for the philosopher’s stone – a circle within a square, within an equilateral triangle; it will be a lead gray color.

Alchemy Casting Symbol: Imagine an equilateral triangle. The right diagonal line stops midway to the bottom line, extends to the left, and ends in an upward swirl outside the triangle (the line is parallel to the bottom line). The bottom line extends out to the right and forms a downward swirl. This symbol is also a lead gray color.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM RESPONDING UNTIL MY ENTIRE POST IS COMPLETED SO THAT IS IT EASIER TO READ THE ENTIRE THING, WHICH MIGHT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS, CONCERNS, OR COMPLAINTS YOU HAVE AT THIS TIME! I ONLY HAVE 3000 CHARACTERS PER POST AND I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP CERTAIN PARTS TOGETHER.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
THE SPELLS

Alchemy Spells Given by Professor Danedalus (All Schools)
Level 1: Toad, 1 pip, 85%@ > 65-105 Alchemy damage

Level 5: Clockwork, 2 pips, 85%@ > 160-200 Alchemy damage

Level 8: Safeguard, 0 pips, 100%@ > -25% damage to next 2 damage spells
Notes: A tower shield split into two. ‘Nuff said.
Level 10: Iron Golem, 3 pips, 85%@ > 245-305 Alchemy damage

Level 16: Grendel, 4 pips, 85%@ > 350-410 Alchemy damage

Level 22: Acid, 4 pips, 85%@ > 30 Alchemy damage + 285 Alchemy damage over 3 rounds to all enemies

Level 26: Antidote, 3 pips, 100%@ > -30% damage to all damage over time and drain spells
Notes: Global spell number one, which is quite useful against Fire and Death mobs/bosses
Level 33: Elixir, 5 pips, 85%@ > 640 Health + 300 Health over 3 rounds

Level 42: Corrosive, 3 pips, 100% @ > +40% damage to all damage over time spells
Notes: Global spell number two, which helps boost Alchemy’s DoTs and that of your allies

Alchemy Spells Given by Alchemy Tree, Nugget (All Schools)
Level 25: Elemental Prism, 1 pip, 100%@ > Convert Fire, Ice, and Storm damage to Ice, Fire, and Myth damage
Notes: There was some confusion about this spell before – it’s simply the three elemental prisms cast together like Elemental Blade
Level 25: Spirit Prism, 1 pip, 100%@ > Convert Life, Death, and Myth damage to Death, Life, and Storm damage

Alchemy Spells Given by Professor Danedalus (Alchemy School Only)
Level 7: Bulwark, 2 pips, 90%@ > Cast a copy of one positive ward on target onto all allies
Notes: Don't you hate it when some people only shield themselves? Now, there's one for everyone!

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM RESPONDING UNTIL MY ENTIRE POST IS COMPLETED SO THAT IS IT EASIER TO READ THE ENTIRE THING, WHICH MIGHT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS, CONCERNS, OR COMPLAINTS YOU HAVE AT THIS TIME! I ONLY HAVE 3000 CHARACTERS PER POST AND I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP CERTAIN PARTS TOGETHER.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
Level 12: Mutate, 2 pips, 85%@, Convert a positive damage charm or negative damage ward to a universal damage charm or ward
Notes: No more unusable other-school blades, Alchemists can use this, so that leftover fire blade from a Elemental Blade can be used.
Level 18: Pox Minion, 4 pips, 85%@ > Summon a minion of Alchemy
Notes: This minion does not attack; it only has the following spells in its deck: Safeguard, Alter, Modify, Mutate, Elemental Blade, Spirit Blade, Elemental Trap, Spirit Trap, and Nullify.
Level 28: Condense, 2 pips, 85%@ > Remove global spell, add a +35% damage charm for all allies
Notes: Wicked useful in Waterworks, Atlantea, Darkmoor – or just anywhere bosses or mobs cast globals
Level 38: Gold Touch, 6 pips, 85%@ > 60 Alchemy damage + 510 Alchemy damage over 3 rounds and stun for 1 round

Level 48: Ouroboros, 7 pips, 85%@ > 640 Alchemy damage and +30% damage ward on target

Level 58: Golden Hind, 8 pips, 85%@ > 580 Alchemy damage to all enemies and stun for 1 round
Notes: A nasty hind kick from this deer leaves enemies stunned
Level 68: Argus, 9 pips, 85%@ > Convert all positive wards to universal negative then deal 570 Alchemy damage
Notes: Argus emerges from the ground in child’s pose, rises up to burn away wards with one eye, and deals damage with another; key to minimizing damage: don’t have lots of shields on you when an Alchemist has 9 pips
Level 72: Buffer, 6 pips, 85%@ > Convert all negative charms and wards to positive on target
Notes: Definitely useful in situations when you’re being swamped by traps and weaknesses – Loremaster, Level 58 quest boss anyone?
Level 75: Mass Emaciation, 5 pips, 85%@ > Convert all positive charms and wards to universal negative for all enemies
Notes: A terrible, terrible spell to experience; worse than an Earthquake, enemies are left vulnerable to a hitter’s sweeping AoE
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM RESPONDING UNTIL MY ENTIRE POST IS COMPLETED.

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
171
I don't want to crush this for you, but I'm pretty sure they'll be more likely to add the school of alchemy if people stop telling KI exactly how to do the school. Plus, none of the schools have four colors.

Sorry

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
39
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
Level 88: Griffin, 10 pips, 85%@ > Convert all positive charms and wards to universal negative on target, 740 Alchemy damage to all enemies
Notes: Kinda of like a Sun Serpent – but better; when there’s a single mob/boss with too many shields, wait a round for another power pip and use Griffin instead of Golden Hind
Level 97: Philosopher’s Stone, 4 pips, 100%@ > +10% Alchemy piercing, +10% Alchemy damage, +10% Alchemy critical

Alchemy Spells Given after World/Area Completion
Finish Tutorial Quest:

Finish Wizard City: *Alter, 1 pip, 90%@, Convert a positive or negative ward into opposite
Note: A basic manipulation spell for the budding Alchemist – turn those shields and traps to your advantage
Finish the Krokosphinx: *Modify, 1 pip, 90%@, Convert a positive or negative charm into opposite
Note: Why do I have a feeling that Alchemists are the only people who love weaknesses and Efreets?
Finish Krokotopia: Merge, 2 pips, 90%@, Combine two positive damage charms or negative wards into an Alchemy damage charm
Note: Hmmm, so if I had 100% power pip chance and a Storm Mastery Amulet, I would wait 28 turns to cast to treasure card Supercharges and then Merge them for a 336% Alchemy damage charm – jk; Spirit Blades and Elemental Blades become +70% Alchemy damage charms – smashing!
Finish Marleybone: *Emaciate, 4 pips, 85%@, Convert all positive charms and wards to universal negative on target
Notes: Wither away….shields and blades
Alchemy Spells Given by Other Trainers
Level 10: Alchemy Shield, 0 pips, 100%@ > -80% damage to next Alchemy damage spell
Note: To use or not use…considering an Alchemist has Alter
Level 15: Mitigate, 2 pips, 100%@, Reduce threat on target

Level 22: Nullify, 3 pips, 90%@, Dispel next outgoing spell
Note: A universal dispel – sweet; pity it doesn’t come in spammable format
Level 25: Seize Power, 1 pip, 100%@, Sacrifice minion, +40% Alchemy damage charm
Note: I’m now somewhat tempted to sacrifice my minion…

ALMOST THERE

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
Level 35: *Weaponize, 2 pips, 85%@, Convert a positive ward to a positive charm or a negative charm to a negative ward
Note: Alchemy is all about reusability and flexibility; buff up with shields and weaknesses!
Level 50: Mega Mitigate, x pips, 100%@, Majorly reduce threat on target

Level 55: Fuse, x pips, 70%@ > Combine 1 positive damage charm or ward per pip into a universal damage charm or ward on target
Notes: The crème de la crème of Alchemy manipulation – Elemental Blade, Spirit Blade all fused together? Oh, dear….
Level 75: Doppelgänger Minion, 5 pips, 100%@, Summon a Minion of Alchemy
Note: No the minion doesn’t look like you; this minion is an upgraded version of the Pox Minion, and gains the cards: Mass Emaciation, Emaciate, Fuse, Merge, and Buffer
Level 80: Alchemy Spear, 0 pips, 100%@ > +10% piercing to next Alchemy damage spell

Level 84: Gild, 0 pips, 100%@ > All charms, wards, and damage over time cannot be removed by manipulation spells
Notes: The newest must-have PvP spell – a way to avoid Earthquake, Enfeeble, Shatter, Mystic Colossus, Squall, Catch of the Day, but have to put up with irremovable feints, traps, and DOTs
Level 90: King Artorius, 8 pips, 85%@ > 715 Alchemy damage, +10% Alchemy piercing, +20% Alchemy damage charm

Level 100: Homunculus, 5 pips + 1 shadow pip, 85%@ > Sacrifice an Alchemy minion, deal 1700 Alchemy damage
Notes: Is it wrong that I felt that Alchemy should have a spell just as bad as Balance? Three Witches adds ingredients to a bubbling, green cauldron, the minion is then sacrificed normally, the witches begin to stir, and an elongated hand shoots up from the mixture. Pause for critical, blades, traps, and piercing, the Homunculus claws its way out of the pot, gangly and tall like a Green Man, and attacks target with hands.
Loremaster Drop: Mandrake, 5 pips, 85%@ > 450 Alchemy damage, +20% damage to next damage spell to all enemies

SPELLS COMPLETE, JUST ONE MORE POST LEFT...OR TWO

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
THE SPIEL
The different parts of this section will be addressed to specific groups of people reading this post and are in order of importance: (1) Skeptics, (2) PvPeeps, and (3) Nit-Picky.

Al-cynics
On my last post, there were many people who liked the idea, but vetoed it because of the logistics (it would take too much time and effort to create all these spells, monsters, animations, clothing, etc. – too much work to implement a completely new primary school) or equated it with crafting. And to some respect, everyone is right: who am I kidding? Wizard101 will never add this! There are plenty of other schools out there that are perfectly fun to play with.

But that’s all the School of Alchemy is – an idea. And honestly, perhaps the real reason I haven’t done a post about it in so long is because I recognize that it’s impossible and I kind of love Wizard101 just the way it is. I love my Spectral Strike, my Regenerate, my Medusa. But if this idea could ever come to life, if it ever has a chance of being an actual part of Wizard101, then I will sit here, and keep on thinking, keep on writing – keep on buying crown cards so I can actually post – and keep on posting!

Fighting: It’s Time to Change It Up
On my post 2 years ago, OPEN33 said this:

“Very overpowered…how can you pvp this thing?”

At the time, I admit I didn’t have a clear idea, but let me address this answer to all troubled pvpeeps.
The most noticeable thing about the School of Alchemy is that they completely lack any traps or blades (*cough* negative wards or positive charms *cough*). This makes Alchemists extremely dependent on traps and blades of other schools as well as those of the enemy they’re fighting. All the other schools have free blades and traps; in order for an Alchemist to have a blade, they must:
1) Condense a global spell
2) Cast a shield and then Weaponize it
3) Buffer or Modify negative charms
4) Summon a minion and then cast Seize Power
5) Use King Artorius

JUST A TAD MORE

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
6) Cast a Spirit/Elemental Blade and Fuse or Merge them

…which essentially boils down to: (1) risk fizzling, (2) expend pips – something that other schools don’t need to worry about in the processing of blading or trapping.

Basically, if you forgo the usage of buffs, it may take you longer to defeat them, but you leave Alchemists virtually powerless. They will be forced to cast blades and traps outside of their school and then use up pips for manipulations.

Bottom Line: the less charms and wards you use, the harder it becomes for an Alchemist to empower his or her self.

Balancing the Unbalanced
This is the part where all questions become answered, where the unique game mechanics of the Alchemy School become explained.

(1) OPTIONAL RULE: Alchemy manipulations sort of work like Sun School enchantments – you can place a max of 2 Alchemy manipulation spells together and they cannot be split again, even if you fizzle (NOTICE: they can only combined with other Alchemy manipulation spells). Example: An enemy uses a blade on self. An Alchemist can combine Modify and Weaponize together to first convert the blade into a weakness, and then into a trap. The new combined spell’s pip cost is the sum of both spells and accuracy is lowered by 10%.

(2) Every charm and ward can only be manipulated once. This means that once an Alchemist uses an Alchemy manipulation on a charm or ward, they cannot do anything to it again. The edges of the charm or ward will turn gold to signify that it is “perfect” and cannot be further manipulated.

(3) The only charms and wards that an Alchemist can manipulate are blades, traps, weaknesses, and shields.

(4) All spells with a * next to their names means that when a ward or charm is changed from negative or positive to the opposite, the ward or charm loses 10% of its value. For example, casting Alter on a Tower Shield will create a +40% version of Hex; Modify on a Weakness creates a +15% version of Balanceblade.

AND FIN. REPLIES WELCOME.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
250
I've been watching the thread since you started and as requested, waited until the end to reply.

Normally I would explain why a new primary school is bad, but you've thought this through and though . . . and it seems so balanced. Except for one thing:

You said in the beginning that Alchemy is the opposite of Balance. Why? I know, I know. You said that it disrupts the inherent balance is the Spiral. But something that has been repeated again and again "Even in chaos there is ultimately balance." So that's the only thing that I'm against.

And you're right, the chances of Alchemy as a primary school are slim, but I admire your determination.

Also you mentioned Marleybone. If this is actually added, how would this work? All schools start at Ravenwood, while your Alchemy starts at Marleybone. Now don't get me wrong, I love Marleybone but I'm worried about the balance of the game.

If you're "new" to Wizard City, how did you get to Firecat Alley? Especially with Sergeant Muldoon's lockdown, although I suppose you "could" get there before the lockdown. Also, how did you know about Gretta Darkrettle? She's basically a self-outcast, stated by herself she's hiding by Ambrose. Then how would you travel to Marleybone? I guess you could go on a pirate ship seeing as you don't have any Spiral Key to Marleybone.

And last, Marleybonians don't practice magic. Now this specific kind of magic seems more "scientifically" related, but it's magic nonetheless. Maybe some "special" Marleybonians? Like Arthur Wethersfield?

And last, you would need a way to travel to the Marleybone Alchemy expansion, maybe the same pirate ship, because some people might want to start right off the bat with Alchemy as their secondary school.

And why would your wizard need to go back to Wizard City? He's got his school, Marleybone's safe. He doesn't know Ambrose, therefore no reason to cleanse Wizard City of it's troubles.

Now, I know I'm nit-picking but I really want answers. Your work was GREAT though.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
Thanks Max Sterling, but your ideas regarding Warrior101 remain unparalleled throughout the Spiral.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) Why is Alchemy the opposite of Balance?

According to the age-old description of Balance on the Wizard101 website,

"The Magic of Balance is harmony and finding equality in all things. It draws on elements from each of the other schools, incorporating bits and pieces of those other energies to fill in the spaces between the Schools. Wizards who focus on Balance Magic, known as Sorcerers, are broad-minded. In their minds, all things deserve consideration, and there may be many answers to a single question. The drawback to this point of view is a tendency to seem impassive or indecisive and never willing to embrace a side or position. Sorcerers use Transmutation to blend the forces of the other schools for their spells."

Alchemists are not chaos, but it's also not harmony. They defy logic, physics, rules - how else can you explain a piece of worthless lead becoming gold? It's like a little sister to Shadow Magic: dangerous (what else do you call surviving boss fights without the ability to directly cast blades or traps?), but powerful (with the right materials, they can destroy anything).

If Sorcerers are broad-minded yet never willing to embrace a side or position, then Alchemists are decisive - seeing every charm or ward as something to be exploited.

2) Explain the Marleybone connection.

Backstory: Like Morganthe, Danedalus was convinced of the benefits and power of learning Shadow Magic. However, he didn't seek to control it or remake the Spiral, he wanted to share his knowledge with the Spiral, but he knew that it was too dangerous and powerful. So, he created a lesser version of Shadow Magic: Alchemy. Now, as you said, Marleybonians don't practice magic, and he didn't. Through experimentation and observation, he found a way to distill Shadow Magic into a more manageable form. And thus, the School of Alchemy was created!

TBC..

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
40
I imagine that Alchemists don't physically go the Marleybonian School of Alchemy until Level 25. Until then, Merle Ambrose calls back Gretta Darkkettle to teach students Alchemy spells up until Antidote. Then Alchemists go on a quest, as described, to find Professor Danedalus.

Gretta Darkkettle will be on the left side of Bartleby in Ravenwood - just a way to balance things out.

Addendum: Though Alchemy is the opposite of Balance, it does not boost Balance nor does Balance boost it. To be fair, Elemental damage is boosted by Alchemy creatures.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
250
fremen on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
I imagine that Alchemists don't physically go the Marleybonian School of Alchemy until Level 25. Until then, Merle Ambrose calls back Gretta Darkkettle to teach students Alchemy spells up until Antidote. Then Alchemists go on a quest, as described, to find Professor Danedalus.

Gretta Darkkettle will be on the left side of Bartleby in Ravenwood - just a way to balance things out.

Addendum: Though Alchemy is the opposite of Balance, it does not boost Balance nor does Balance boost it. To be fair, Elemental damage is boosted by Alchemy creatures.
Well that answered a LOT of my questions. Keep up the good work Fremen. But there is one last thing. How did Ambrose get Gretta back when she implied that no matter what he said she wouldn't go back? Also, from what you said Gretta would be left of Bartleby, next to where Arthur is right?

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
fremen on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
Level 12: Mutate, 2 pips, 85%@, Convert a positive damage charm or negative damage ward to a universal damage charm or ward
Notes: No more unusable other-school blades, Alchemists can use this, so that leftover fire blade from a Elemental Blade can be used.
Level 18: Pox Minion, 4 pips, 85%@ > Summon a minion of Alchemy
Notes: This minion does not attack; it only has the following spells in its deck: Safeguard, Alter, Modify, Mutate, Elemental Blade, Spirit Blade, Elemental Trap, Spirit Trap, and Nullify.
Level 28: Condense, 2 pips, 85%@ > Remove global spell, add a +35% damage charm for all allies
Notes: Wicked useful in Waterworks, Atlantea, Darkmoor – or just anywhere bosses or mobs cast globals
Level 38: Gold Touch, 6 pips, 85%@ > 60 Alchemy damage + 510 Alchemy damage over 3 rounds and stun for 1 round

Level 48: Ouroboros, 7 pips, 85%@ > 640 Alchemy damage and +30% damage ward on target

Level 58: Golden Hind, 8 pips, 85%@ > 580 Alchemy damage to all enemies and stun for 1 round
Notes: A nasty hind kick from this deer leaves enemies stunned
Level 68: Argus, 9 pips, 85%@ > Convert all positive wards to universal negative then deal 570 Alchemy damage
Notes: Argus emerges from the ground in child’s pose, rises up to burn away wards with one eye, and deals damage with another; key to minimizing damage: don’t have lots of shields on you when an Alchemist has 9 pips
Level 72: Buffer, 6 pips, 85%@ > Convert all negative charms and wards to positive on target
Notes: Definitely useful in situations when you’re being swamped by traps and weaknesses – Loremaster, Level 58 quest boss anyone?
Level 75: Mass Emaciation, 5 pips, 85%@ > Convert all positive charms and wards to universal negative for all enemies
Notes: A terrible, terrible spell to experience; worse than an Earthquake, enemies are left vulnerable to a hitter’s sweeping AoE
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM RESPONDING UNTIL MY ENTIRE POST IS COMPLETED.
I like it, but Alchemy isn't exactly "Magic." Alchemy, is more like changing the substance of one thing, into another thing, using the elements around you. Like, turning Lead into Gold. (Possible for reagents) and performing Transmutation everyday objects, like rocks or leather, and turning a certain amount of it, into something better.

Alchemy, in a sense is already in the game, which we now call CRAFTING. While the idea of using it in battle would be amazing, it would have to act similarly, so, in my humble opinion, Alchemy would be good for converting damage types, reversing traps, removing curses and overtimes by changing the chemical composition of the things or people around them.

Also,in Alchemy, you can create a "Homunculus," which is a doll, with a real, or artificial soul attached, like the Wooden Golems or the Homunculus boss in Dragonspyre.

EXAMPLE
You have less the 521 health, your about to lose the battle, you have 3 tower shields, and are hoping they will protect you, long enough for you to heal. Well you find an Alchemy ability, we'll call them "transmutations," and now you can transmute these Tower shields into a single Spirit Armor, that will defend you up to1000 damage.

You have several blades, and shields, but almost no more attacks, and need someone to finish off this boss, but no friends are coming, and you have no crowns, and your minions stink. By using a "transmutation" and being able to summon a Homunculus, who you can choose to control yourself, or not. If you where to click the draw button for a Homunculus, they would act by themselves for that round, then you could control them yourself again, next round. Homunculus will be BALANCE, if there is no field spell up, like "Wyldfire." Field spells affect its chemical composition and change its form, ONLY, WHEN IT IS BEING CREATED.

Finally, maybe you have a friend who needs to finish a quest, and he is about to die. Well, you can sacrifice all of your life to revive him.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
Max Sterling on Jun 8, 2015 wrote:
I've been watching the thread since you started and as requested, waited until the end to reply.

Normally I would explain why a new primary school is bad, but you've thought this through and though . . . and it seems so balanced. Except for one thing:

You said in the beginning that Alchemy is the opposite of Balance. Why? I know, I know. You said that it disrupts the inherent balance is the Spiral. But something that has been repeated again and again "Even in chaos there is ultimately balance." So that's the only thing that I'm against.

And you're right, the chances of Alchemy as a primary school are slim, but I admire your determination.

Also you mentioned Marleybone. If this is actually added, how would this work? All schools start at Ravenwood, while your Alchemy starts at Marleybone. Now don't get me wrong, I love Marleybone but I'm worried about the balance of the game.

If you're "new" to Wizard City, how did you get to Firecat Alley? Especially with Sergeant Muldoon's lockdown, although I suppose you "could" get there before the lockdown. Also, how did you know about Gretta Darkrettle? She's basically a self-outcast, stated by herself she's hiding by Ambrose. Then how would you travel to Marleybone? I guess you could go on a pirate ship seeing as you don't have any Spiral Key to Marleybone.

And last, Marleybonians don't practice magic. Now this specific kind of magic seems more "scientifically" related, but it's magic nonetheless. Maybe some "special" Marleybonians? Like Arthur Wethersfield?

And last, you would need a way to travel to the Marleybone Alchemy expansion, maybe the same pirate ship, because some people might want to start right off the bat with Alchemy as their secondary school.

And why would your wizard need to go back to Wizard City? He's got his school, Marleybone's safe. He doesn't know Ambrose, therefore no reason to cleanse Wizard City of it's troubles.

Now, I know I'm nit-picking but I really want answers. Your work was GREAT though.
Hey I know I sound like a bit of a mooch, but would you mind checking out my post about sound magic?
(It'll be my most recent post, it might take a few hours to appear so check every now and then.)

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
fremen on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
I imagine that Alchemists don't physically go the Marleybonian School of Alchemy until Level 25. Until then, Merle Ambrose calls back Gretta Darkkettle to teach students Alchemy spells up until Antidote. Then Alchemists go on a quest, as described, to find Professor Danedalus.

Gretta Darkkettle will be on the left side of Bartleby in Ravenwood - just a way to balance things out.

Addendum: Though Alchemy is the opposite of Balance, it does not boost Balance nor does Balance boost it. To be fair, Elemental damage is boosted by Alchemy creatures.
This sounds a heck of a lot better then air magic countering Balance. Those snobby balance wizards in pvp need SOMETHING to counter them!

Survivor
May 22, 2014
9
Andrew Dreamhunter-there should be a alchemy school.i'm sure kingsisle could work this one out.can't wait.everyone like the idea kingsisle.you might as well look into it.just some friendly advice :)

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
143
Wow!

Literally, this idea is amazing. I'm just going to start out by complimenting how well thought out this is. This post drew my eye because of how you displayed everything that I could think to ask of in a suggestion! Great job overall.

Now on to the suggestion, however small it is.

Malorn Ashthorn is in Ravenwood, as a basic death teacher before wizards can go to Nightside. This pattern also repeats with balance, with Alhazred in Krokotopia. Seeing as Ravenwood is the location where all starter schools of magic are, it makes sense for the first instructor to be in Ravenwood.

Obviously though, there is no space in Ravenwood.

Or is there?

You mentioned how... unconventional this school is. So imagine this: in the back of Bartleby lies a door. You might try and put the trainer in a classroom through that door, having bubbling potions and a whole 'lab' kind of feel to it.

Also note that this location for the classroom is symbolically opposite of where the substitute balance professor is.