Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Polymorph Problem

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 21, 2009
Polymorphs are a great idea in my opinion. Changing your form to take on a specific enemy easier in the middle of a fight is great, but as they stand they are not that great of a choice.
Let's look at the good and the bad:

Good:
* You can change forms to be another school for spells that fit the situation in a battle

*Adds spell variety without requiring training points or item cards

*Encourages support roles in battle

Bad:
* Absolutely no resistance (unless you are fighting the same school as the polymorph, but why would you morph then?)

*Limited rounds. If you have no pips, you end up passing every round and when you do get enough you change back

*Very low health

*Little to no critical chance

*No critical blocking

*Not enough cards

As the morphs stand, they're are more negatives than positives for any player in the level range of Zafaria and above. Even the newer Polymorphs in Azteca put you in extreme danger if used in a fight.

Here are some changes that I think would make Polymorphs better suited for use in battle:

* Health for the morph increases as you level

*Critical Block is transferred from your regular stats

*Critical Rating is transferred from your regular stats

*Getting rid of the limited rounds. Instead adding a button to end the form when you're ready would make them more flexible

*Double the cards given
*Give appropriate resistance and boost according to the morph, not just the element the morph is (Ex: Jaguar would resist but receive a boost from )

If these changes are applied in any way I think more players would use these spells and they would not be considered a bad choice for combat anymore. What do you guys think? What changes would you like to see?
What are your opinions of Polymorphs? Do I ask too many questions?

Thanks for reading

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Well, I got to warlord using a moon spell deck(during the First Age), so I don't really see a problem with them. What I would like to see is newer ones. From what I see, so far the moon school needs a new and a possibly new polymorph. The thing we really need is a polymorph, which I believe will be coming up soon. Though, I also think it would be nice to have some school polymorphs, with their inherent resists and their own school damage attacks.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Polymorphs make your wizard inferior in too many cases. Your own base wizard should become better and stronger than most Polymorphs by level 48. And forget about using them against most human opponents.

And I think that's sad. The idea behind polymorphs is too cool to be ruined by bad stats. I agree with the original post, there needs to be some stat carry-over. Nothing insane, but there has to be something creative that can be done to make them more viable.

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
Historian
May 28, 2009
Although most polymorphs doesn't seem too useful in most cases. The 2 that I use that doe work are gobbler and treant.

Gobbler gives you tons of health and tons of resistance. This comes in handy in situations where you and a group are in a bad situation against a strong boss or even if you are about to take some damage yourself. It keeps you alive for longer and the "fishy" healing spell allows you to revive fallen teamates if there are some.

The treant also sometimes comes in handy (not always). This spell gets you tons of heals to heal your team if no healer is present (although it isn't as useful as the gobbler since it has no resist, I think, and if you are the player with the most threat on your team, polymorphing can get you defeated. But this spell still manage to help sometimes.

I think the future moon spells should focus on special occasions like these 2 spells: Healing and staying alive.
There should then be one that focuses on high damage and life steal etc. But yes, the resist and health on most these transformations are a little too low. Hopefully they either get raised or just use our own stats.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Logan Shadowstride... on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
Polymorphs are a great idea in my opinion. Changing your form to take on a specific enemy easier in the middle of a fight is great, but as they stand they are not that great of a choice.
Let's look at the good and the bad:

Good:
* You can change forms to be another school for spells that fit the situation in a battle

*Adds spell variety without requiring training points or item cards

*Encourages support roles in battle

Bad:
* Absolutely no resistance (unless you are fighting the same school as the polymorph, but why would you morph then?)

*Limited rounds. If you have no pips, you end up passing every round and when you do get enough you change back

*Very low health

*Little to no critical chance

*No critical blocking

*Not enough cards

As the morphs stand, they're are more negatives than positives for any player in the level range of Zafaria and above. Even the newer Polymorphs in Azteca put you in extreme danger if used in a fight.

Here are some changes that I think would make Polymorphs better suited for use in battle:

* Health for the morph increases as you level

*Critical Block is transferred from your regular stats

*Critical Rating is transferred from your regular stats

*Getting rid of the limited rounds. Instead adding a button to end the form when you're ready would make them more flexible

*Double the cards given
*Give appropriate resistance and boost according to the morph, not just the element the morph is (Ex: Jaguar would resist but receive a boost from )

If these changes are applied in any way I think more players would use these spells and they would not be considered a bad choice for combat anymore. What do you guys think? What changes would you like to see?
What are your opinions of Polymorphs? Do I ask too many questions?

Thanks for reading
I, personally, think Moon schools are unpopular from a lack of extensive Group play where I think more people solo. Also, certain Polymorphs you want require you to buy other Polymorphs you may or may not want. I think that you should be able to pick out the spells you want like Star and Sun. That's a great step to making them better.

I agree with some of the suggestions that've you've made. Health and resistance can be expanded upon and increased by maybe 25-30% but I think it's unnecessary work for KI to make Polymorph's health increase with your level because what if a Level 90 comes back to Celestia to get X spell rather than having the spell grow with you at Level 50+. They're just a lot of variables that would make health growth seem unnecessary to me.
Critical Block and Critical can be added to the Celestia and Azteca ones. I would say a range between 50-250 Critical and Block rating would be fair, but that's just me.
Resistance can be given for all Polymorphs against any school except their opposing schools (Example: Life can resist highly against Life (-70%), mid way to Myth, Storm, Ice, and Balance (-30%), but boost to Fire and Death (+40%)). Ice Polymorphs can gain higer resistance and critical block to most schools and have smaller boosts compared to other Polymorphs because they generally act as defenders.
Natural damage boosts and Critical rating for heavy hitters like Storm and Fire Polymorphs can be pretty high (like +50% /Damage and +270 Critical Rating).

I don't think the Rounds need to be removed because they were never intended for extended use. It's just for limited use like Star spells. I will agree with an option to dismiss your Polymorph at any time, but I think Rounds need to stay. Deck size doesn't really need to go up or down to me. I think it should completely be based on what the developers want a Polymorph to preform as and what school.

More variety to the Moon School is definitely needed. A Stun/Piercing Myth Polymorph, a Drain Death Polymorph, a Spamming Polymorph, a blended Balance Polymorph. A big mistake was probably not adding Moon spells with Zafaria. I think they should back-track-it and add new Moon spells to Zafaria as well as maybe 1-2 more in Azteca.

I think there can be a lot more done with the Moon school and I do think KI should take some time to focus on them and improve them as time goes on.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Lucas Rain on Feb 27, 2014 wrote:
Polymorphs make your wizard inferior in too many cases. Your own base wizard should become better and stronger than most Polymorphs by level 48. And forget about using them against most human opponents.

And I think that's sad. The idea behind polymorphs is too cool to be ruined by bad stats. I agree with the original post, there needs to be some stat carry-over. Nothing insane, but there has to be something creative that can be done to make them more viable.
Maybe my base wizard is better, but the point of a polymorph is to do something you can't normally do. Most non-Life schools have limited healing capacity, but the Treant polymorph turns you into an awesome healer. Polymorphs are not intended to do your own function better, they are to give you versatility.