Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Hybrid Wizard! Gone extinct after D.S?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
High level Wizards (usually)basically give up their secondary schools at somewhere around level 60. The reason is simple, even with the existence of Mastery Amulets the spells you can learn up to that point are too weak. The Schools at Ravenwood stop teaching you at 42. An Ice wizard has no use for Stormzilla when he has Snow Angel or Woolly Mammoth at his disposal, as they both out damage the spell significantly. What you do see, is that some wizards have acquired schools for their utility, such as life's healing, and often don't fully learn all the spells and just the spells of supportive use. But as with schools like storm, they become next to useless as secondary schools due to the fact that you just don't get any spells to use against monsters you could at Dragonspyre, or before. So they basically sit and rot in your Spellbook, and unlike spells such as Ice Wyvern(When your Ice), you actually spent and more or less wasted your training points. My point is, it's about time the Ravenwood Schools got new, higher level spells to compensate for the newer, more powerful worlds after Dragonspyre.
What we would need is:
The blade for that school since we need better offense for that school.
Some new rank seven spell so we have some better attacks to work with.
Several supportive spells so their more useful for basic reasons.
We could take some previously exclusive spells, probably ones like Ice armor(Which is completely outclassed by Frozen armor)
Additionally, we would most likely need rank eight, but for that to be possible we would need the maximum amount of pips to be eight(Since we can't let people learn spells they may not be able to cast), but the idea of maximum to be eight has been argued.
The idea of a Secondary School is excellent early on, but it just doesn't work anymore, so I bring to you the
idea of the restoration of hybrid Wizards to High-level areas.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
I like the idea I really miss getting spells every 5-7 levels.

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
97eml1 on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
High level Wizards (usually)basically give up their secondary schools at somewhere around level 60. The reason is simple, even with the existence of Mastery Amulets the spells you can learn up to that point are too weak. The Schools at Ravenwood stop teaching you at 42. An Ice wizard has no use for Stormzilla when he has Snow Angel or Woolly Mammoth at his disposal, as they both out damage the spell significantly. What you do see, is that some wizards have acquired schools for their utility, such as life's healing, and often don't fully learn all the spells and just the spells of supportive use. But as with schools like storm, they become next to useless as secondary schools due to the fact that you just don't get any spells to use against monsters you could at Dragonspyre, or before. So they basically sit and rot in your Spellbook, and unlike spells such as Ice Wyvern(When your Ice), you actually spent and more or less wasted your training points. My point is, it's about time the Ravenwood Schools got new, higher level spells to compensate for the newer, more powerful worlds after Dragonspyre.
What we would need is:
The blade for that school since we need better offense for that school.
Some new rank seven spell so we have some better attacks to work with.
Several supportive spells so their more useful for basic reasons.
We could take some previously exclusive spells, probably ones like Ice armor(Which is completely outclassed by Frozen armor)
Additionally, we would most likely need rank eight, but for that to be possible we would need the maximum amount of pips to be eight(Since we can't let people learn spells they may not be able to cast), but the idea of maximum to be eight has been argued.
The idea of a Secondary School is excellent early on, but it just doesn't work anymore, so I bring to you the
idea of the restoration of hybrid Wizards to High-level areas.
Should be allowed at lvl 58 cause everything now is following lvl something 8 wise and you should get enough pips to cast it by then.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Just buy back your training points. Simple as that. I understand what you mean, but I dont think that its fair for other schools to get Rebirth, as an example. It says on the Player Guide:

"The Life School will train its student wizards to heal themselves and other players. Life Wizards are given the ability to heal themselves the most effectively, as well as the unique ability to heal other players. Combined with this, they do low to moderate damage attack spells with extremely high accuracy rates. They also possess the sole group heal spell.

www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/magic-schools2

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
What is the point of that? So, we're going to have a fire dragon that only FIRE wizards can use, and now the other 6 schools can use it? NO. And really, a blade for your secondary school? Blades are exclusive for their own school so NO. No quest spells, takes away the specialty of that too. NO.

Not a good idea, sorry. I ditched secondary schools after I remembered that I don't even use the spells that were in my secondary school. I was dumb when I trained all the way up to the last spell when I didn't even need it, lol. So now I just save my training points for auras and enchants.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I like this idea... When celestia came out, I was disappointed to see I couldn't find anything in the other schools. However, I think that it should be completely new spells o.o Maybe 54, 66, 74, and 82 (and then 96)? No real pattern, just for random numbers that seem right.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
That would be good, since I have storm spells just sitting in my note book, and I'm not able to use them. I wouldn't use them any way, as they are weak, so I like this idea.

-Angela DragonStone
The wizard that rokz

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
this seems like a good idea although they would have to make entirely new spells to keep all the schools unique. the main reason why i think this would be good to add is because KI seems to be so darn bent on enforcing this 2 school thing onto most of the new gear we get. all it does at the moment is nerf our gear but if they did that well then it might actually be useful.

Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
A Balanced Life on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
What is the point of that? So, we're going to have a fire dragon that only FIRE wizards can use, and now the other 6 schools can use it? NO. And really, a blade for your secondary school? Blades are exclusive for their own school so NO. No quest spells, takes away the specialty of that too. NO.

Not a good idea, sorry. I ditched secondary schools after I remembered that I don't even use the spells that were in my secondary school. I was dumb when I trained all the way up to the last spell when I didn't even need it, lol. So now I just save my training points for auras and enchants.
I didn't say they would be the level 48 rank 7 spells firstly. What's the point of training a Secondary School? To access some of the benefits that school carries. To be able to attack in that school is easily the most fundamental element of training a secondary school. You can't viably do that with only rank 6. You also can't easily attack without blades, as they are the most potent booster a School has. Learning some of the quest spells grants some of the utility present in that school. That's why you train the astral schools in the first place, for their utility. They are exclusive, but let me say this bluntly: Why is current exclusion a bad thing? The previously exclusive spells, such as blades are low level, and are the weaker and more fundamental spells in a primary Wizard's arsenal. They would never be the most defining parts, period. Learning a Secondary always took away the specialty, and not letting very powerful level 90 Wizards not be able to learn spells such as Fire prism when they could learn mass Fire prism goes to show that it's pretty much a hole in logic for this not to be possible.
As for your second paragraph, it just shows the whole point on why this should be implemented. You ditched your secondary school because you stopped using them. Why? Because they weren't useful to you. Why do you train the astral schools? Because they are useful. The astral Schools supplement your main School. Learning some of the weaker exclusive Secondary School spells would help achieve the same thing, therefore making a Secondary School more useful thing to have. Fire is powerful offensively, but poor in supplement, adding a Fire Blade and Stronger attack Spells would make it easier to attack with Fire, possibly being able to inflict more damage than your main school if supported(At the cost of set-up time, remember) and damage over time. You weren't dumb in training a secondary School, it was Implied that it was a good idea, and I want it so that this implication become reality. I'm not very great at one-on-one persuasion, but hopefully, you understand.