Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Balance Issue

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 24, 2013
14
I am a balance wizard, and I personally think that we, the supposed support school, deserve a blade to support ourselves, and I don't mean another universal blade, I mean a damage specific, just for us, same thing with a spear and prism and shield but I'll get to that later. The remedy I have concocted is an entirely new school, being how over imaginative my mind is but I thought it out, and I kinda like it. But first the blade issue, that is as simple as casting a damage specific dragonblade on yourself, so change the description of balance blade to +40% damage to next spell or whatever it is for fireblade but obviously for balance, then make dragonblade the universal +25% spell, with the spears, you have to make a Balancespear, which is the same thing as all the other spears but for balance only.

Now this new school I came up with is the school of mayhem, since it's the opposite of balance, I figure it would make a good rival magical art, the Mayhem school would have more wild bolt/insane bolt type of spells, and I was thinking that maybe their blade and trap could be randomized, but then I thought that was kind of unfair to the Mayhem wizards, possibly called "Micomancers?" I say that because Chaos in Latin is mico, as far as I know, point is, I would enjoy the game a lot more than I do now if I had a Blade that doesn't go away when I wand, and if a new school has to be made, I would gladly go through the trouble of coming up with an entirely new school, back-story, and some spells, I would do all of them but I'm not extremely creative, and before anyone says that we'd have more blades, it's not easy keeping our blades in Celestia, heck, is was hard to keep them in Mooshu, so yes, we have more blades, but that doesn't mean we'd always be able to have their full effect plus I feel like a new starter school would be refreshing, and I wouldn't mind the possible prism that could be a result from this, the shield, the (hopefully spear) I know that putting this in the game will probably be difficult to do, but I think most of the balance community would enjoy it, if not the school, then maybe the utility spells. Oh yeah, before I forget, PLEASE Kingsisle, please don't make the level 98 balance spell be as useless as saber tooth, and by useless I mean the aftereffect if possible make it a DoT tick or if anything else, another weakness. Thank for taking the time to read this, I know it was long and probably boring, but it means a lot. Thanks! :D

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
Balance doesn't need it's own blade or prism because there is no balance shield. That's what makes Balance more powerful than all other schools. Balance is the hardest to defend against because only a tower shield works. Every other school has multiple 70, 75, 80, 85 stackable shields. Taking away this uniqueness would weaken balance.

lvl 95

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
49
This has been discussed time and time again. Balance is fine the way it is. I personally really enjoyed leveling my Balance wizard and found that the strategies you must undertake are more unique than other schools. Balance won't get a prism, many have asked and every time it gets shot down because adding an opposite school to it would ruin its 'No Shield' strength. You have Chimera, Hydra, and Spectral Blast for Balance enemies. As for the Balance school only Dragonblade, it's not necessary. If you struggle with using Balance, try a different school or practice different strategies but don't blame the school just because it's different (NOT any worse) than the others.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
240
Balance was my first and favorite school, and I don't want anything changed. It's perfect the way it is. I echo Seethe and Aerier's points. I have 5 Wizards in 5 different schools, and my Balance is really the least frustrating of all. It's definitely the most strategic minded of all schools, and this is what makes it my favorite. Let Balance be Balance! level 95

Historian
May 15, 2009
674
I honestly don't agree with the three above. Balance really does need some changes or give other schools something to guard against it or they need to change something about it.

seriously. you call playing balance a smart strategy? really when it is mainly spam shield, spam shield, spam shield, dragon blade, judgment = instant KO

that isn't a strategy, that is a really cheap and annoying fight that takes forever to finish because everytime you break their shields they pile on another load of them. seriously this is even more prevalent in PvP.

when I go up against a balance players, unless they are several levels under me, I am always the loser.

do you know why? because they spam shields constantly, pretty much making it impossible for me get any attack through. on top of this this just pop on a couple blades and then use judgment when they are fully powered. that is a really frustrating fight and I just feel like rage quitting most of the time because I know I will not be able to win. even when I am trying to play smart and applying shield or stealing theirs they just keep piling on shield after shield after shield

you would think a school labeled balance would focus less on spamming shields to the point where it's not even fun to fight against them. it is extremely rare that I go up against someone who doesn't spam shields to the point they can just whip out judgment and end it.

it's should be called the 'spam' school because that is all they do. shield spam, shield spam then judgment.

"oh look this is so skillful the way I spam every know school shield in game."

Survivor
Jan 24, 2013
14
Truly, I don't care about having a shield not, I agree Balance is good the way it is, but hydra is bad, chimera takes forever to get to, and spectral blast never works out, and they can all be shielded against by the time you get them. I would love to not care about any other sorcerers problems, well I don't really now, but it's mine too, but that will only happen when I can wand off a weakness and a shield. Notice how I didn't say blade? I'm tired of having to hit through weaknesses and towers with a wand and blade up again just to have them use it again. Sure I don't have to blade again, but I would want to, and why use up six training points to learn all the rank one spells to get around those annoying shields and keep my hydra strong, when if I had a damage specific blade, I could get around it with a power nova? It's perfectly fine if you like balance the way it is, nostalgic reasons or not, I personally like balance now, but why should I have to rely on the weakest blade, that will have basically no effect if they tower shield or weakness, to get me to do barely enough damage to kill minions? And why should I have to wait until level 90 and use eight pips to get a spear?

Survivor
Jan 24, 2013
14
seethe42 on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
Balance doesn't need it's own blade or prism because there is no balance shield. That's what makes Balance more powerful than all other schools. Balance is the hardest to defend against because only a tower shield works. Every other school has multiple 70, 75, 80, 85 stackable shields. Taking away this uniqueness would weaken balance.

lvl 95
Oh, what's our highest hitting spell? That would be judgement, which does up to 1400 base. yeah pretty power full, but that costs 14 pips, this does like nothing because of resistance. I ask you this because because 50% of our highest damaging spell is 700, which is what will be deducted with a tower shield, a weakness is 25%, take that away from 700, that's roughly 175, take that away, 525, +25%, +150 roughly, 675, +20% that's a little more than 700. Yeah we can wand it ALL off and hit with a full judgement, but if we're talking about a boss, they resist 80% of damage of their school. so yeah. Sure, it's easy fighting all other enemies, but it's not fun fighting balance enemies.

If your gonna tell me to try another school, than I want an option where you can pay crowns or gold to switch schools after you made your character, because I don't want to have lost all my playtime, and I think Wizard City is BOOORING.

Anyway, I can't really stop you, but if you don't agree please don't post anything saying that Balance is unique because we don't need a blade or prism, because I've heard it all before, and if your not gonna make Mayhem a school to counter balance, at least make it a new starer school, I would still wanna use it.

Explorer
Oct 06, 2010
59
Samuel Wolfe on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:
I honestly don't agree with the three above. Balance really does need some changes or give other schools something to guard against it or they need to change something about it.

seriously. you call playing balance a smart strategy? really when it is mainly spam shield, spam shield, spam shield, dragon blade, judgment = instant KO

that isn't a strategy, that is a really cheap and annoying fight that takes forever to finish because everytime you break their shields they pile on another load of them. seriously this is even more prevalent in PvP.

when I go up against a balance players, unless they are several levels under me, I am always the loser.

do you know why? because they spam shields constantly, pretty much making it impossible for me get any attack through. on top of this this just pop on a couple blades and then use judgment when they are fully powered. that is a really frustrating fight and I just feel like rage quitting most of the time because I know I will not be able to win. even when I am trying to play smart and applying shield or stealing theirs they just keep piling on shield after shield after shield

you would think a school labeled balance would focus less on spamming shields to the point where it's not even fun to fight against them. it is extremely rare that I go up against someone who doesn't spam shields to the point they can just whip out judgment and end it.

it's should be called the 'spam' school because that is all they do. shield spam, shield spam then judgment.

"oh look this is so skillful the way I spam every know school shield in game."
Yes. Elemental/Spirit Shields (as mentioned before) can totally wreck the uses of chimera spectral blast and hydra. Along with tower shield even though pierce is available at the bazaar it still only brings it down to about 30% removal plus resistance makes it even harder for balance.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Unfortunately, there are very good reasons not to give balance a balance specific global spell... namely a lack of real stopping power for balance damage. Contending with tower shield, weakness, etc. is a lot less to deal with than every other school. In fact, there are so few ways (outside of enemies with 80% balance resist) to stop balance damage that I frankly do not ever see anyone convincing KI to get a boost for balance which isn't universal. Still, dealing with balance enemies (who have that high resist) poses a much bigger problem for balance (ironic when the name of the school is balance) than for any other school on school situation. I have started this thread which specifically addresses that issue here:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/adjustments-id-like-to-see-for-balance-8ad6a417449189a30144f06ced1f5d9a

I would welcome feedback and suggestions.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2013
14
BrandonOfTheWorld on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
Yes. Elemental/Spirit Shields (as mentioned before) can totally wreck the uses of chimera spectral blast and hydra. Along with tower shield even though pierce is available at the bazaar it still only brings it down to about 30% removal plus resistance makes it even harder for balance.
I'm glad someone understands. Everytime I start one of these discussions, I always end up getting swarmed by people saying, "You're just upset because Sabertooth was bad," or "Fire has it worse, we got sun serpent." It's really annoying and I would much rather have Sun Serpent than sabertooth. The best part about it is that it can do a whopping 100 more damage than judgement for one less pip. Yippee. I feel like the best move since judgement, post-balance nerf, is Ra, which does okay damage and goes great against a swarm of balance enemies with Unstoppable and Extraordinary. But without a good blade or enchant, I can't do much with a plus 25% blade because who actually uses Bladestorm? Then I have to use amplify, Hex EVERY enemy, then supposing I forgot Amplify only lasts four turns, and I'm fighting four enemies, I have to re-amplify and then presuming I haven't been weaknessed or an enemy hasn't tower shielded, I can finally use Ra. That scenario takes 7 turns if no weaknesses or towers have been cast, and then if they have, I have to wand off my blades, hexes and eventually my amplify, then if I want to do anything, I have to recast all my stuff, which takes about another 5 turns, because my deck can't hold 8 hexes. So, presuming no more shields or weaknesses are cast, I can finally use my Ra. Wait a second, I could shave off enough turns from that to cut it down to six turns, if I had a damage specific blade, trap and, a prism, I could just blade and trap them, wand off those pesky weaknesses and tower shields, possibly rival school shields, and win. Simple. Not difficult. I still just want a blade and spear, if that means a shield and another school I'm fine with that, and having no shield isn't a strength it's a weakness. It means we're so weak, they don't need to worry about having to shield against us.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
66
Samuel Wolfe on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:
I honestly don't agree with the three above. Balance really does need some changes or give other schools something to guard against it or they need to change something about it.

seriously. you call playing balance a smart strategy? really when it is mainly spam shield, spam shield, spam shield, dragon blade, judgment = instant KO

that isn't a strategy, that is a really cheap and annoying fight that takes forever to finish because everytime you break their shields they pile on another load of them. seriously this is even more prevalent in PvP.

when I go up against a balance players, unless they are several levels under me, I am always the loser.

do you know why? because they spam shields constantly, pretty much making it impossible for me get any attack through. on top of this this just pop on a couple blades and then use judgment when they are fully powered. that is a really frustrating fight and I just feel like rage quitting most of the time because I know I will not be able to win. even when I am trying to play smart and applying shield or stealing theirs they just keep piling on shield after shield after shield

you would think a school labeled balance would focus less on spamming shields to the point where it's not even fun to fight against them. it is extremely rare that I go up against someone who doesn't spam shields to the point they can just whip out judgment and end it.

it's should be called the 'spam' school because that is all they do. shield spam, shield spam then judgment.

"oh look this is so skillful the way I spam every know school shield in game."
To counter the judgement, you could be using balance dispel, black mantle/smoke screen, tower shields, and weaknesses.

To get rid of shields, there's shatter, pierce, and you can cast a DoT like fire elf or death bat to remove a couple of shields.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
66
Noah Griffinpants on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
I'm glad someone understands. Everytime I start one of these discussions, I always end up getting swarmed by people saying, "You're just upset because Sabertooth was bad," or "Fire has it worse, we got sun serpent." It's really annoying and I would much rather have Sun Serpent than sabertooth. The best part about it is that it can do a whopping 100 more damage than judgement for one less pip. Yippee. I feel like the best move since judgement, post-balance nerf, is Ra, which does okay damage and goes great against a swarm of balance enemies with Unstoppable and Extraordinary. But without a good blade or enchant, I can't do much with a plus 25% blade because who actually uses Bladestorm? Then I have to use amplify, Hex EVERY enemy, then supposing I forgot Amplify only lasts four turns, and I'm fighting four enemies, I have to re-amplify and then presuming I haven't been weaknessed or an enemy hasn't tower shielded, I can finally use Ra. That scenario takes 7 turns if no weaknesses or towers have been cast, and then if they have, I have to wand off my blades, hexes and eventually my amplify, then if I want to do anything, I have to recast all my stuff, which takes about another 5 turns, because my deck can't hold 8 hexes. So, presuming no more shields or weaknesses are cast, I can finally use my Ra. Wait a second, I could shave off enough turns from that to cut it down to six turns, if I had a damage specific blade, trap and, a prism, I could just blade and trap them, wand off those pesky weaknesses and tower shields, possibly rival school shields, and win. Simple. Not difficult. I still just want a blade and spear, if that means a shield and another school I'm fine with that, and having no shield isn't a strength it's a weakness. It means we're so weak, they don't need to worry about having to shield against us.
The fact that you mentioned 4 enemies, I'm going to assume that it's balance mobs. The problem with what you're saying is that if you're alone, then there will be only 2 (or 3 if you're in Khrysalis in some dungeons) balance monsters. Not 4.

Even so, you should still be able to kill with just a infallible, blade storm, and balance blade, assuming you have decent damage. And if it doesn't kill, then just rinse and repeat. There's also cleanse charm and pierce to remove any weaknesses or shields.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
66
I like balance the way it is. If a school specific balance blade were to be added, wouldn't there also need to be balance specific shields? I'll rather keep my 25% universal blade and have my only enemy be tower shields which are at most just 55%, compared to the 85% balance specific shield TC.

I don't need a convert, seeing how there is strike now, which would make the 80% balance resist on bosses down to just a manageable 30%. You can also further pierce that with infallible and pierce from gear.

Just my two cents.

Austin Shadowsword
Promethean Sorcerer

Survivor
Jan 24, 2013
14
AustinShadowSwordA... on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
The fact that you mentioned 4 enemies, I'm going to assume that it's balance mobs. The problem with what you're saying is that if you're alone, then there will be only 2 (or 3 if you're in Khrysalis in some dungeons) balance monsters. Not 4.

Even so, you should still be able to kill with just a infallible, blade storm, and balance blade, assuming you have decent damage. And if it doesn't kill, then just rinse and repeat. There's also cleanse charm and pierce to remove any weaknesses or shields.
I'm glad you have strike and infallible, but I don't. I also understand that some dungeons can spawn more than two bosses if you're alone. I know this because I just finished ravenscar, and you have to fight four ravens. So just saying that it might happen in the future. By the way, I feel like people think I mean I this for PvP, I mean main game. Not saying you (AustinShadowSword) did, but yeah. Also people don't seem to notice that I've addressed the shield issue, and by that I mean acknowledge that it exists, but does anyone else think it would be a waste to just start over? I don't wanna switch schools unless I have an option to pay crowns to switch schools, which I've already mentioned.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2012
28
Stop complaining Balance is meant to fit in perfectly with the other 6 schools
It isn't very strong in attack or weak in attack or any stat for that matter it also has high health

Survivor
Jan 24, 2013
14
Coyle Thundershard on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
Stop complaining Balance is meant to fit in perfectly with the other 6 schools
It isn't very strong in attack or weak in attack or any stat for that matter it also has high health
High health? I'm a level sixty and my friends level 55 storm has 100 less health then me, without gear.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
Noah Griffinpants on Apr 14, 2014 wrote:
High health? I'm a level sixty and my friends level 55 storm has 100 less health then me, without gear.
Lvl 60 Balance = 2070 health
Lvl 60 Storm = 1363 health
Lvl 60 Ice = 2073 health

Not even remotely close to the truth. Balance has the second highest health in the game. If you're going to make stuff up at least make it plausible.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2013
14
seethe42 on Apr 14, 2014 wrote:
Lvl 60 Balance = 2070 health
Lvl 60 Storm = 1363 health
Lvl 60 Ice = 2073 health

Not even remotely close to the truth. Balance has the second highest health in the game. If you're going to make stuff up at least make it plausible.
I never said my friend didn't have gear, I just said I didn't. Well, I said "without gear," but my point still stands, my level 55 storm friend, has about 300 less health than me, since getting to level 62.