Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Thanks/Like System?

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
I thought it would be cool for the Wizard101 message boards to have a "Thanks" or "Like" system, since so many other forums have those. For threads sections such as the Dorms, Ravenwood Commons, PvP, etc. players with new ideas or comments usually don't get too much positive feedback, since people's tendency to post something is usually based on disagreement rather than approval. Who else thinks this would be a great idea?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
PvP King on Jan 11, 2017 wrote:
I thought it would be cool for the Wizard101 message boards to have a "Thanks" or "Like" system, since so many other forums have those. For threads sections such as the Dorms, Ravenwood Commons, PvP, etc. players with new ideas or comments usually don't get too much positive feedback, since people's tendency to post something is usually based on disagreement rather than approval. Who else thinks this would be a great idea?
Sounds good to me! :D

I like your post and idea! :P

I mean, why not?

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
This capability already exists, but we had to turn it off for the Wizard101 message boards because "likes" from the Pirate101 message boards also counted toward your "Like count" here on the Wizard101 message boards, which caused some kick back from our visitors here.

Unfortunately to change the way this works wouldn't be a small amount of effort for our web development team.

If people on these message boards want to give it another shot despite that limitation, I'd be happy to turn it on to see what everyone thought?

If I was to give a few lessons learned about liked posts:

1- They should not be used to create a "club" based around likes (this unintentionally happened on the Pirate101 forums).
2- Like counts *do* become a status symbol of sort.
3- Archived posts cannot be "liked"; therefore, older posters may feel overshadowed as someone new emerges as a kind of De Facto leader with a high "like" count. This unintentionally can give the feeling that older efforts from established members are unappreciated or unacknowledged.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
could we set the likes as a petition thing.... say if a post hits 100 likes, it has a higher chance of being in a update than one with 2 likes

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Dworgyn on Jan 12, 2017 wrote:
This capability already exists, but we had to turn it off for the Wizard101 message boards because "likes" from the Pirate101 message boards also counted toward your "Like count" here on the Wizard101 message boards, which caused some kick back from our visitors here.

Unfortunately to change the way this works wouldn't be a small amount of effort for our web development team.

If people on these message boards want to give it another shot despite that limitation, I'd be happy to turn it on to see what everyone thought?

1- They should not be used to create a "club" based around likes (this unintentionally happened on the Pirate101 forums).
3- Archived posts cannot be "liked"; therefore, older posters may feel overshadowed as someone new emerges as a kind of De Facto leader with a high "like" count. This unintentionally can give the feeling that older efforts from established members are unappreciated or unacknowledged.
Personally, I wouldn't mind likes accumulating between Pirate101 and Wizard101 forum posts, unless there's a KingsIsle most likes oscars award at the end of the year then I might get a little competitive.

1) I've read the Spar Chamber section on the Pirate101 message boards and many self acclaimed top duelists do seem to have a likes parade or at least compliment each other for being the best so and so player for a class in the entire game. I think since the Wizard101 community is much larger (at least on the forums) so that making small groups of friends on the forums that like the majority of your posts will have a much smaller effect in a larger crowd.

2) Agreed. Likes counts seem to also be affected by in-game status (community leaders get many more likes than the average player on Wizard101Central and Pirate101). However, I don't see myself putting "Wizard101 forum famous" on my resume anytime soon whether I get 15k likes or just 10.

3) I don't think I'd be fazed if my older posts don't have likes, especially since I know that they can't receive likes either. Again, I can't speak for the community.

Regardless, I'd still want to give it another shot and see how it goes; sometimes making a thread and getting 1-2 replies can be discouraging and giving likes is a lot easier than making a whole detailed reply, especially if somebody already said what you wanted to post... but this can also backfire if you see your post not getting likes while another similar post may be getting a lot more attention. But in my opinion it also helps see where most of the community stands opinion-wise; such as on topic debates or just appreciating a new idea made by somebody, or even Feedback Fridays.

Again, I don't speak for the entire community..maybe turning on likes can help see what other people think

Thanks for the reply by the way!

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Maybe like counts can be displayed on each post but the total like count for each user won't be shown.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
Dworgyn on Jan 12, 2017 wrote:

I personally wouldn't be bothered if the P101 likes carried over. Sometimes I'll agree with what someone has to say, but I have nothing further to add (so I don't reply). I'd love to acknowledge posts such as those and let them know that I appreciated their response.

Those lessons learned seem very accurate, thanks! As long as the feature is not abused, I think it would be a great addition here.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
I would really like this feature to be reimplemented. As Vanessa said, sometimes you would like to show you like/approve of an idea but don't want the hassle of replying to the post.

I don't mind the Pirate101 count thing.

Moira Stormheart

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Champion
Jun 26, 2009
PvP King on Jan 11, 2017 wrote:
Thanks for asking for this feature to be brought back to life King.

Thanks Dworgyn for making it happen.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I personally prefer boards without the 'like' vote because it can be misused in a sort of passive-aggressive way.
In other words, when someone snarks on another person's idea, and then that post gets 100 "likes" it's going to make the first person feel bad.

That type of thing happens a lot on message boards.
There can also be a sort of clique that develops in which people trade 'like' vote for 'like' vote and make those not in that group feel ghosted.