Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Team Up" Feels a bit Broken

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 24, 2016
Don't get me wrong, the idea of Team Up is fantastic on paper. Many wizards can't complete certain dungeons they need for quests alone (like Sunken City and Tomb of the Beguiler), but the way it was handled just feels so... off.

What I'm saying is best conveyed by an example. When I was level 24, I decided to go through the Vault of Ice again after completing it the first time when I saw a level 20 wizard queueing for Team Up. I decided to queue with them, and then a third wizard joined. Said wizard was level 57 or 58, completely decking the dungeon within minutes before we even had a chance to do anything. That wasn't fun. That was a waste of my time, and a waste of the level 20 wizard's time. It's not fun to be carried.

However, there is an idea I had for a solution! Have two options for Team Up: An option for wizards within a certain level range of yourself, or an option for wizards of any level for those who are getting desperate, or want to be carried (for whatever reason). Please KingsIsle, if you're reading this, do something! Some dungeons are too hard to do alone, but it's not fun to have a wizard twice your level come along and do everything for you!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Dylan GoldLeaf on Sep 3, 2018 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the idea of Team Up is fantastic on paper. Many wizards can't complete certain dungeons they need for quests alone (like Sunken City and Tomb of the Beguiler), but the way it was handled just feels so... off.

What I'm saying is best conveyed by an example. When I was level 24, I decided to go through the Vault of Ice again after completing it the first time when I saw a level 20 wizard queueing for Team Up. I decided to queue with them, and then a third wizard joined. Said wizard was level 57 or 58, completely decking the dungeon within minutes before we even had a chance to do anything. That wasn't fun. That was a waste of my time, and a waste of the level 20 wizard's time. It's not fun to be carried.

However, there is an idea I had for a solution! Have two options for Team Up: An option for wizards within a certain level range of yourself, or an option for wizards of any level for those who are getting desperate, or want to be carried (for whatever reason). Please KingsIsle, if you're reading this, do something! Some dungeons are too hard to do alone, but it's not fun to have a wizard twice your level come along and do everything for you!
Did you ask the level 58 wiz if they would slow down and be support to you instead of killing fast?

I understand your frustration on this and see communication as key...also acceptance of the response is key when we've asked a stranger to help us!

Some people asking for help are hoping for someone to get them through it fast and with ease; others want someone to support them with boosts, shields and heals so they can make the kill. Similarly, some people helping want to help as quickly as they can; others want to only offer support; others are happy (and have time) to do either.

TBH my attitude varies depending on which school/level of wizard I am on and also the schools/levels of the wizards I am with...it also depends if it is a single battle or a full dungeon and how much time I have.

My high level life wiz will not be killing everything for them unless they are a low level healer themselves...then I'll let them practise their healing and boosting. Hitters can benefit from my boosts and heals...but I'm not going to kill everything for a storm wizard who may not realise they have the ability to kill with temp and a few boosts I can give them.

My high level storm won't spend ages boosting a low level storm to kill minions with lightning bats, then reshuffle them because they ran out of cards etc...it just takes too much time and can become tedious.

Final bosses and single battles, I'm happy to do what the requester asks me to.

I try to empower the player I am helping and a big part of team work in W101 is recognising where we best fit in a team and how to adapt to be most useful to the team. Two things matter - stats and enjoyment. In level-appropriate teams (questing/farming) I've stepped aside as hitter or healer to contribute in another way when someone else has better stats or really wants that role.

When asking for help we can ask for anything we want, but please recognise the team strengths and weaknesses, and appreciate someone chose to help at all