Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stitching Cost

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
28
Is it just me or does it seem far too restrictive?
A gold option would be a nice offset.
It's just that lots of other games let you do this with in-game currency alone.
Not everyone can afford crowns for aesthetics.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2098
LordVanya on Sep 13, 2018 wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem far too restrictive?
A gold option would be a nice offset.
It's just that lots of other games let you do this with in-game currency alone.
Not everyone can afford crowns for aesthetics.
Did you know that KI have made some ways to get free crowns?

If we do the trivia section on FreeKIgames.com we can get up to 100 free crowns every day! If the trivia questions are too tricky just look online for answer lists This will guarantee you 100 free crowns daily and you don't have to have paid real money into the game at all to participate in it!

There are also the 'earn crowns' videos that can be enabled via the website wizard101.com If the icon doesn't show up in game you just need to toggle it on in your account settings (if you have a master account you will need to toggle it in the parental controls). Each video gives some free crowns - it's a little bit hit and miss, unlike the trivia, because the adverts are often targeted for specific locations so you may or may not find you have some to watch. Some of my friends get loads every day, I get so few because I'm in the UK that I don't check them any more, but if you are lucky you might get quite a lot

We also get free crowns from daily assignments and although these seem quite a small number if we do our assignments on all our wizards regularly they can mount up to enough to stitch.

With the trivia being open to everyone and basically having the guarantee of 100 free crowns a day I don't think the cost of stitching is too much. Everyone can do a few days of trivia to get a complete new look in game without spending real money.

Defender
Dec 13, 2008
137
LordVanya on Sep 13, 2018 wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem far too restrictive?
A gold option would be a nice offset.
It's just that lots of other games let you do this with in-game currency alone.
Not everyone can afford crowns for aesthetics.
would be nice if there was a stitch for either a 10k gold or 100k gold stitch option

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
28
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 14, 2018 wrote:
Did you know that KI have made some ways to get free crowns?

If we do the trivia section on FreeKIgames.com we can get up to 100 free crowns every day! If the trivia questions are too tricky just look online for answer lists This will guarantee you 100 free crowns daily and you don't have to have paid real money into the game at all to participate in it!

There are also the 'earn crowns' videos that can be enabled via the website wizard101.com If the icon doesn't show up in game you just need to toggle it on in your account settings (if you have a master account you will need to toggle it in the parental controls). Each video gives some free crowns - it's a little bit hit and miss, unlike the trivia, because the adverts are often targeted for specific locations so you may or may not find you have some to watch. Some of my friends get loads every day, I get so few because I'm in the UK that I don't check them any more, but if you are lucky you might get quite a lot

We also get free crowns from daily assignments and although these seem quite a small number if we do our assignments on all our wizards regularly they can mount up to enough to stitch.

With the trivia being open to everyone and basically having the guarantee of 100 free crowns a day I don't think the cost of stitching is too much. Everyone can do a few days of trivia to get a complete new look in game without spending real money.
Yes I did. However, having to do that to have enough crowns to stitch a whole outfit over the course of 2 - 4 days is a rather unreasonable wait.

I know that KI must be making quite a bit of profit with the current situation, but they may be shooting themselves in the foot a little. Let me elaborate.
Generally speaking, in all MMO games, the bulk of the users don't have a ton of money to spend on premium currency. This is just as true for free-to-play games as it is for subscription-based games. I imagine it also holds true for this best-of-both-worlds system used in Wizard101. That being said, I think KI has missed the mark with the pricing point on stitching.

The reason I say this is as I have played the game for the last few years I have gotten a good sense for what is giving me a good return on my crown investments and what isn't so much.
250 crowns for an energy refill feels pretty fair, as I can use that energy to do many activities that have substantial returns. Alternatively you can grind to level up or just wait to naturally regenerate your energy. There are lots of options, so it feels like a balanced way of doing things.
75 crowns to unlock a jewel socket is ok. It gives me the ability to customize a piece of equipment instantly and I still have the option to grind bosses to try to get a socket wrench. (Although the drop rates seem dreadfully small.) It has the same sort of balance as with energy refill, just to a lesser degree.
50 crowns to get an extra item drop from a boss chest is almost negligible. I'll often drop the extra 50 crowns on a boss chest without giving it a second thought. It saves me from some grinding and I usually get something useful.

Stitching doesn't have the same sort of appeal.
Changing the appearance of an item has no practical use in battle.
For the cost of stitching a whole outfit I could get an energy refill, unlock 2 sockets, or go grab up to 6 boss chests.
It affords little return for the investment being put into it.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
28
iouman2013 on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
would be nice if there was a stitch for either a 10k gold or 100k gold stitch option
Definitely. Having that option would lessen the impact of having to dish out 100 crowns per stitch.
It would also make players with less crowns to spend more likely to invest in stitching as well.

Frankly, if the cost were simply reduced to 25 crowns I think many more players would be much more apt to do stitching on a regular basis. Personally, if it were reduced to double that, I'd have no problem spending 150 crowns to stitch a whole outfit. But at 100 crowns, I usually just conform myself to using the Dye Shop.

But as it is, I'd rather save my crowns up and spend them on buying worlds or upgrading equipment with jewels than wasting them on a costume.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
63
LordVanya on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
Yes I did. However, having to do that to have enough crowns to stitch a whole outfit over the course of 2 - 4 days is a rather unreasonable wait.

I know that KI must be making quite a bit of profit with the current situation, but they may be shooting themselves in the foot a little. Let me elaborate.
Generally speaking, in all MMO games, the bulk of the users don't have a ton of money to spend on premium currency. This is just as true for free-to-play games as it is for subscription-based games. I imagine it also holds true for this best-of-both-worlds system used in Wizard101. That being said, I think KI has missed the mark with the pricing point on stitching.

The reason I say this is as I have played the game for the last few years I have gotten a good sense for what is giving me a good return on my crown investments and what isn't so much.
250 crowns for an energy refill feels pretty fair, as I can use that energy to do many activities that have substantial returns. Alternatively you can grind to level up or just wait to naturally regenerate your energy. There are lots of options, so it feels like a balanced way of doing things.
75 crowns to unlock a jewel socket is ok. It gives me the ability to customize a piece of equipment instantly and I still have the option to grind bosses to try to get a socket wrench. (Although the drop rates seem dreadfully small.) It has the same sort of balance as with energy refill, just to a lesser degree.
50 crowns to get an extra item drop from a boss chest is almost negligible. I'll often drop the extra 50 crowns on a boss chest without giving it a second thought. It saves me from some grinding and I usually get something useful.

Stitching doesn't have the same sort of appeal.
Changing the appearance of an item has no practical use in battle.
For the cost of stitching a whole outfit I could get an energy refill, unlock 2 sockets, or go grab up to 6 boss chests.
It affords little return for the investment being put into it.
Honestly, what you say is true, Lord Vanya. Based on what you said, I too don't think that stitching holds the same profitable appeal and although 100 crowns per stitch may seem small, it adds up fast, especially if you're like me and you stitch a lot. I usually set aside 20,000 or 30,000 Crowns for stitching alone across my wizards because the cost adds up fast. A solution to the stitching problem would be to give stitching the "Tournament Treatment." In the old days of Wizard101, PvP Tournaments used to cost Crowns to enter, for members and for non-members, although Members had a reduced crowns price. However, with recent updates, the Tournament entry fee was changed. Now, non-members pay crowns to join and Members can join by dropping 18,000 gold which isn't that hard to obtain. The change to Tournaments costing gold to enter instead of Crowns encouraged more people to do them. I have a solution for stitching that might be good. The solution should be that non-members pay Crowns for stitching while members can stitch with gold, exactly the same as PvP Tournaments. Kingsisle is a business, after all, and profit must be made, and by changing stitching cost to Gold for members, it will encourage more people to buy memberships to have the ability to stitch with gold, instead of having to dish out 100 Crowns per stitch again and again. Crowns aren't a problem for me, but I just hate how stitching costs add up extremely fast if you stitch often across multiple wizards. My idea will fix the stitching issue costs and make more profit for Kingsisle in the long run. I hope it's taken into consideration.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 98 Diviner, Lore Spell and Promethean Pet Enthusiast)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2098
LordVanya on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
Yes I did. However, having to do that to have enough crowns to stitch a whole outfit over the course of 2 - 4 days is a rather unreasonable wait.

I know that KI must be making quite a bit of profit with the current situation, but they may be shooting themselves in the foot a little. Let me elaborate.
Generally speaking, in all MMO games, the bulk of the users don't have a ton of money to spend on premium currency. This is just as true for free-to-play games as it is for subscription-based games. I imagine it also holds true for this best-of-both-worlds system used in Wizard101. That being said, I think KI has missed the mark with the pricing point on stitching.

The reason I say this is as I have played the game for the last few years I have gotten a good sense for what is giving me a good return on my crown investments and what isn't so much.
250 crowns for an energy refill feels pretty fair, as I can use that energy to do many activities that have substantial returns. Alternatively you can grind to level up or just wait to naturally regenerate your energy. There are lots of options, so it feels like a balanced way of doing things.
75 crowns to unlock a jewel socket is ok. It gives me the ability to customize a piece of equipment instantly and I still have the option to grind bosses to try to get a socket wrench. (Although the drop rates seem dreadfully small.) It has the same sort of balance as with energy refill, just to a lesser degree.
50 crowns to get an extra item drop from a boss chest is almost negligible. I'll often drop the extra 50 crowns on a boss chest without giving it a second thought. It saves me from some grinding and I usually get something useful.

Stitching doesn't have the same sort of appeal.
Changing the appearance of an item has no practical use in battle.
For the cost of stitching a whole outfit I could get an energy refill, unlock 2 sockets, or go grab up to 6 boss chests.
It affords little return for the investment being put into it.
I can see your points and I respect your opinion

I think there is a bigger marketing strategy behind it being crowns only though. It can be done in the Commons and one of the few things available to those who are truly Free-To-Play that they really want but can't get 'free'. Their appearance is one thing they can own and it leads them to talking to other players and looking for solutions to the problem.

Then they discover they can get crowns free through trivia or earn crowns...and when they find they can accumulate quite a few they often don't stop at stitching, they keep going and buy areas. The more time they invest, the more likely they are to convert to membership at some point. Even if they don't, KI is getting revenue from the advertising in earn crowns or on the site with the trivia...and the more people using the site, the more appealing it is to advertisers.

I think the crowns only option for stitching may have a much bigger impact on revenue than we initially assume.

Perhaps making it a gold option for those already spending on the game would have little impact - if we've bought crowns KI has already got the money from them and we're going to spend them. It could be the case that if we don't spend them on stitching we'd just buy an extra pack.

The way to do this could be to introduce the option in later worlds with a level lock on it, perhaps it would be a reward for doing one of the Eloise quests, like 'mates-rates' because we've become good friends after helping her so much. This way it would be accessible for gold to those who are invested in the game but remain crowns only to F2P wizards who may find it their gateway into buying areas and eventually buying into the game fully.

What do you think?

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
28
I really like the idea of having gold stitching being an unlock for invested players.

I have a business of my own to run and I don't have the same amount of time to put into the game, so those other methods of generating crowns is just a no go for me.

I personally don't have the opportunity right now to spend on a membership like I used to.
So I tend to spend crowns almost exclusively on buying worlds.
And occasionally, on packs when they go on sale.

Ideally, I'd make it a quest that rewards you with a special stitching kiosk recipe that I can use to craft multiples of for all the wizards on my account through the shared bank. That way it is tied to the account and not an individual wizard. Sort of like most of the vaults. (Why is the gear vault not tradable?)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2098
LordVanya on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
I really like the idea of having gold stitching being an unlock for invested players.

I have a business of my own to run and I don't have the same amount of time to put into the game, so those other methods of generating crowns is just a no go for me.

I personally don't have the opportunity right now to spend on a membership like I used to.
So I tend to spend crowns almost exclusively on buying worlds.
And occasionally, on packs when they go on sale.

Ideally, I'd make it a quest that rewards you with a special stitching kiosk recipe that I can use to craft multiples of for all the wizards on my account through the shared bank. That way it is tied to the account and not an individual wizard. Sort of like most of the vaults. (Why is the gear vault not tradable?)
If you have unlocked stitching at 'mates-rates' on one wizard you could just pass things through the shared bank to stitch for your other wizards anyway. You do not need to be able to equip an item to stitch it, it just needs to be in your backpack.

The only items that could be affected by having to pass it back and forth would be no-trade items. I'm not sure how many low-level no-trade stitchable items even exist, but I'm pretty sure it is a low number.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2098
LordVanya on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
I really like the idea of having gold stitching being an unlock for invested players.

I have a business of my own to run and I don't have the same amount of time to put into the game, so those other methods of generating crowns is just a no go for me.

I personally don't have the opportunity right now to spend on a membership like I used to.
So I tend to spend crowns almost exclusively on buying worlds.
And occasionally, on packs when they go on sale.

Ideally, I'd make it a quest that rewards you with a special stitching kiosk recipe that I can use to craft multiples of for all the wizards on my account through the shared bank. That way it is tied to the account and not an individual wizard. Sort of like most of the vaults. (Why is the gear vault not tradable?)
PS The reason gear vaults are no-trade is because it is easier to make them no-trade than it is to have the game check 100 items inside it just in case any of them are no-trade items being passed in a gear vault as an exploit.

There are no seeds or jewels or fish that can not be traded within the account so there is no need to prevent them from being passed in bulk through the shared bank.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
1
I think it would be sweet if instead of paying crowns every stitch, just make the selected item "stitchable."

I already have the look that I want, now I have to restitch this same gear every time I find a better hood, robe, etc. I would much rather have a system where I can just pay x amount of crowns to allow me to switch the look of my cool robe to any robe in my backpack. This way you wouldn't have to keep stitching over and over to keep the same look.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
93
A member benefit where we have possibly 5-10 free stitching a day for a four or so day period would be nice.

Or just an unlimited amount of stitching over said period.

I'm sure many of us would appreciate that.


Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
63
Taylor SwiftStalke... on Sep 23, 2018 wrote:
A member benefit where we have possibly 5-10 free stitching a day for a four or so day period would be nice.

Or just an unlimited amount of stitching over said period.

I'm sure many of us would appreciate that.

I personally think stitching should get the "Tournament Treatment" because back then, everyone had to drop crowns to join PvP tournaments, but after some updates, members could drop 18,000 gold to join the Tournament while non members pay crowns. Why can't stitching get the same benefit? I think we should just allow members to stitch with gold and non members to use Crowns to stitch. People love updating their looks often and allowing stitching to be members only will encourage more people to buy memberships, which also means more profit made for Kingsisle.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
28
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 21, 2018 wrote:
PS The reason gear vaults are no-trade is because it is easier to make them no-trade than it is to have the game check 100 items inside it just in case any of them are no-trade items being passed in a gear vault as an exploit.

There are no seeds or jewels or fish that can not be traded within the account so there is no need to prevent them from being passed in bulk through the shared bank.
Huh. I would have made it so you have to empty a gear vault before you can trade it in the same manner as houses requiring all pets and mounts to be removed.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2635
If Wizard101 was free to play throughout the game, I would expect stitching to cost Crowns (in addition to buying cosmetic equipment and similar items in the Crown shop). However, when compared to other subscription/membership games....it is odd to charge additional real money for something like transmog.