Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells: The unfairness with rank "X" spells.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 02, 2009
dayerider on Aug 25, 2013 wrote:
all schools should have a minion, they can be helpful under the right circumstances. Heck, I use Malduit to help solo Loremaster and she comes in quite handy.

As for the 14 pips, again I say, how many people can really afford to wait all that time to cast it? By the time it's cast, the battle will be over in the next round or two. Death has NO useful X-pip spell.

Don't look at it from a "hey, they have an advantage" point of view, look at it from a USEFUL point of view. ALL first generation minions arent very useful, even early on, which is why we got better ones just recently. That being said, it has effectively removed death's x-pip spell because a 5pip minion blows the doors off of the old 14 pip minion. I'd be happy if Kingsisle, on the next update, removed the X-pip minion and replaced it with a 3 or 4 pip minion of proper strength and then gave us a useful X-pip spell
You make a good point. I wouldn't want to wait that long just to summon a minion that will last maybe two or three rounds.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
MythWizardForeves on Aug 24, 2013 wrote:
well the myth rank x spells don't really count cause they only go up to a certain amount of pips :P
You also make a good point! So myth still needs a rank x spell. Hmm. Myth wizards forever!

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
you said people don't use 'em. I use mine almost EVERY battle. Just sayin'

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
KKoop3 on Sep 4, 2013 wrote:
what X-pip spell do you use almost every battle? If it's a minion, what level and world are you in? I have a hard time believing a Gen1 minion can be of any help beyond marleybone, but hey, if you get it to work for you, excellent, and I'll happily admit I'm wrong in this one instance

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
dayerider on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:
what X-pip spell do you use almost every battle? If it's a minion, what level and world are you in? I have a hard time believing a Gen1 minion can be of any help beyond marleybone, but hey, if you get it to work for you, excellent, and I'll happily admit I'm wrong in this one instance
It's dryad. It's a rank X healing spell. It hardly counts but I do use it most battles nowadays, especially now that I've reached Dragonspyre.

-lvl 45

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
KKoop3 on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
It's dryad. It's a rank X healing spell. It hardly counts but I do use it most battles nowadays, especially now that I've reached Dragonspyre.

-lvl 45
dryad is extremely useful. It's right in the middle of Life's healing spells for pip to health ratio, can be used at ANY time (like any Xpip spell) and can heal any ally. Much more useful than Animate

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
dayerider on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
dryad is extremely useful. It's right in the middle of Life's healing spells for pip to health ratio, can be used at ANY time (like any Xpip spell) and can heal any ally. Much more useful than Animate
My thoughts exactly.

Survivor
May 07, 2009
Master Of Myth on Aug 21, 2013 wrote:
I'm pretty sure myth doesn't have a rank x spell.

Katie Greensword lvl 66
No i Don't Think We Do

Roslyn Mythsword lvl 52 Myth

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
GandalfLannister on Sep 7, 2013 wrote:
No i Don't Think We Do

Roslyn Mythsword lvl 52 Myth
You guys have Mega Subdue (haha, like that counts AT ALL) which reduces the threat to a target.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
KKoop3 on Sep 4, 2013 wrote:
I was talking about minions not xpip spells. In the case of death school, the xpip is the minion spell and it's useless beyond marleybone

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
KKoop3 on Sep 7, 2013 wrote:
You guys have Mega Subdue (haha, like that counts AT ALL) which reduces the threat to a target.
lol that doesn't count since EVERY school has those. That's why I don't even talk about them.... that and I don't ever see people USE them :P

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
dayerider on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:
I'd like to pop in and say that Gen1 minions can be useful after Marleybone. I know this, as I used my Storm minion up to Dragonspyre for boss fights and I just recently used the Fire Elemental to solo Sothmekhet first try. Never underestimate minions, they may surprise you with what they can do.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Scarlet Nightdream... on Sep 9, 2013 wrote:
I'd like to pop in and say that Gen1 minions can be useful after Marleybone. I know this, as I used my Storm minion up to Dragonspyre for boss fights and I just recently used the Fire Elemental to solo Sothmekhet first try. Never underestimate minions, they may surprise you with what they can do.
I TRIED using my minion after marleybone and it just never worked out. I tried Sothmekhet, I tried regular mobs, I WANTED it to be useful but it wasnt. That's why I posted soo many comments about ways to improve minions, because they were an untapped resource for a lot of the game. The new ones are MUCH better (of course).

Survivor
Jun 30, 2010
IceNinjaRichardG on Aug 21, 2013 wrote:
I've noticed that only a few schools have Rank X spells.
And by rank x I mean, spells that take any amount of pips you have to a certain percent to benefit you.

Now I know almost all schools do have these, but they are just useless ones like Taunt and Subdue.
No one really uses these.

Each school, if not a Rank X attack should at least of a Rank X blade. Like Storm has SuperCharge and Tempest, not really fair right?

My ideas for each schools Rank X blade:

Ice: Freeze Over
+15 For each regular pip(i suppose +60 for powerpips idk, maybe bring down to +25 for reg. pips and +50 as to power pips)

Fire: Blaze
+20 for each reg. pip(do the math)

Storm: Already know theres right?

Death: Undead Power
+10 for each reg. pip

Life: Photosynthesis(i think thats what its called)
+15 for each reg. pip

Myth: Moral Energy
+15 for each reg. pip

Balance: Enlightenment
+10 for each reg. pip

The names need more improvement though.
So now you guys post your ideas on the blades and come up with some attacks too.

- Richard G. 63
Every school has their own special sweet spots and this is one of Storms, just because you like it does'nt mean you can get it.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Ruthless Rook on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
Every school has their own special sweet spots and this is one of Storms, just because you like it does'nt mean you can get it.
So when is storm giving back healing Current?

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
dayerider on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
you're really upset about healing current its not op at all dude when is balance giving ice back elemental and spirit shield if your gonna be like that?

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
dayerider on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
Oh hahaha! You funny.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
critical blizzard on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
you're really upset about healing current its not op at all dude when is balance giving ice back elemental and spirit shield if your gonna be like that?
this is exactly the point I'm trying to make. If we keep thinking of every school as a singular purpose school, then we have to change MANY things within the game. The big problem people have with new spells and such is that storm mages believe they are the only ones who deserve good attacking spells because that is their primary purpose, forgetting about the fact that the rule has been broken numerous times because we have evolved from that long ago. Think about it:

1) Storm should only have attack spells
2) ALL DoT's must be returned to fire
3) ALL healing must be returned to life
4) Ice should only have defense spells

If we're going to use a singular purpose thinking, this and more MUST happen, and it never will. Nor should it. Even if we go strictly by the school descriptions given in the game when you first start your wizard, storm should not have any healing spells. I'm not talking about restricting anybody, I'm talking about broadening the game, but people seem to think that Storm is the ONLY school who should get this spell or that whenever new idea are suggested.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Spiral emperor on Aug 24, 2013 wrote:
Why does death get a minion spell? If the death guy uses the 14 pip minion, it's WAY better than a whole lot of the minion spells! I don't even know why Kingsisle made the Minotaur minion. It doesn't do anything besides tower shield itself, or heal itself with sprite, when its already at full health. I don't think the couple of minions to start off the game are all that great. The troll and cyclops minions? I gave up on those spells years ago. The only minion worth using is the new minion that came out with the Aquila update. But they still can't use critical.
I just posted in the Dorms a solution to minion not having critical stats called Enhance Minion Spell. Check it out (once it's posted) and help shape it.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
dayerider on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
I just posted in the Dorms a solution to minion not having critical stats called Enhance Minion Spell. Check it out (once it's posted) and help shape it.
So the thread is called enhance minion? Okay. Cool with a capital c. Because that is how you spell it sometimes! Oh yeah.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
dayerider on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
this is exactly the point I'm trying to make. If we keep thinking of every school as a singular purpose school, then we have to change MANY things within the game. The big problem people have with new spells and such is that storm mages believe they are the only ones who deserve good attacking spells because that is their primary purpose, forgetting about the fact that the rule has been broken numerous times because we have evolved from that long ago. Think about it:

1) Storm should only have attack spells
2) ALL DoT's must be returned to fire
3) ALL healing must be returned to life
4) Ice should only have defense spells

If we're going to use a singular purpose thinking, this and more MUST happen, and it never will. Nor should it. Even if we go strictly by the school descriptions given in the game when you first start your wizard, storm should not have any healing spells. I'm not talking about restricting anybody, I'm talking about broadening the game, but people seem to think that Storm is the ONLY school who should get this spell or that whenever new idea are suggested.
the healing spells that aren't life aren't that powered the dots that aren't fire aren't that powered and as it should be defensive schools such as ice and life don't do better than storm in damage

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
critical blizzard on Sep 14, 2013 wrote:
the healing spells that aren't life aren't that powered the dots that aren't fire aren't that powered and as it should be defensive schools such as ice and life don't do better than storm in damage
Actually, I think that if you're willing to spend the time is pretty darn powerful in its own right. The attack spells past centaur are very good, we have a 40% blade. My strategy for most battles (except bosses) right now is Lifeblade, Lifetrap, Feint (which is ), Centaur, and one hit kill.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
critical blizzard on Sep 14, 2013 wrote:
ok, but here's my question. What spell are you comparing that to?

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
dayerider on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
I'm going to reply to yours, then make a general statement:

If Fire was going to have an X-pip spell that catered to it's strength, then why doesn't it have an X-pip spell that is a trap over 4 attacks? Isn't fire's biggest strength it's DoT spells? Then why does it have a trap that only works on one attack?

General comment:
See, that's the problem I have with Death; The Minion is it's X-pip spell. It's useless beyond Marleybone and an Xpip Minion should be in Myth's school not death. ALL first generation minions are useless beyond Marleybone. They gave us new minions, excellent! I love them, but that doesn't solve the problem that Death doesnt have a USEFUL X-pip spell and Myth doesnt have one at all. not only that, but the new minion rendered the old minion a complete waste of a spell, moreso than other minions. Death's 1st Gen 14 pip minion is a TON weaker than it's 2nd Gen 5 pip minion

my X-pip solution for death can be found here:

www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/non-healing-aoe-death-spell-solution-8ad6a418405d07f6014074643e733213?reset=1

What is wrong with giving all schools an Xpip spell that fits the school and makes sense?
As a fire wizard, I do think Backdraft should be over 2 rounds, but that's because we also have regular attacks. That's what backdraft is for. For a DoT type trap, we have Fuel. And man, does that spell help.

Isaac Goldenriver, level 42 Pyromancer.

Happy Spellcasting!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
SoupWizard64 on Sep 17, 2013 wrote:
As a fire wizard, I do think Backdraft should be over 2 rounds, but that's because we also have regular attacks. That's what backdraft is for. For a DoT type trap, we have Fuel. And man, does that spell help.

Isaac Goldenriver, level 42 Pyromancer.

Happy Spellcasting!
yes we do have fuel, which IS a big help. My point is, somebody else said "X-pip spells cater to the school's main purpose", which in THIS case, it doesn't. If Fuel and Backdraft were reversed (Fuel giving 75% to a single attack and backdraft doing X%/pip to 3 traps), it would make more sense (at least to me).