Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spell improvements

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
This is strictly a PvE topic for TRAINED school spells

Kingsisle, I really enjoy this game, and have a couple of wizards, but I’m afraid each school is not thought of the same way. I take issue with some schools’ complete lack of USEFUL PvE after effects.

Death – all we ever see if heal debuffing, nothing else. We have Lord of night, Dr Von’s and King Artorius which all do this. Why? Most PvE monsters just don’t heal themselves, so we have this wonderful spell, with completely USELESS after effects. How come we don’t have spells that do Curse, Beguile, Plague, Virulent Plague, or even Bad Juju? ANY of these would be more useful than another Infection based effect. You want to do infection again? Consider putting a second effect on it to make it more useful to PvErs who are the bulk of your players.

Examples:
1) An AoE that adds Virulent Plague
2) A single hit that adds Plague and Curse

Fire – Let me start by stating Krampus/King Artorius are a great start. They utilize effect spells already in the fire school. There needs to be ones that PvE enemies won’t be immune to (like stun – while not ALL monsters are immune, many are). How come fire doesn’t have any spells with Steal Charm, Choke, Smoke Screen, Detonate or Backdraft effects? Any of the spells I mentioned could easily be incorporated into new spells and any of them would be extremely useful. Now before you all complain about wanting to overpower fire, I don’t, the last 2 spells are effect spells, which is why they were included.

Spell Examples:
1) An AoE attacks all and does Smokescreen and Choke or Steal Charm
2) A single hit spells that Steals Charm and Smoke Screen

I’m now going to talk about other schools from an outside looking in point of view.

Life – tends to have the weakest attack and is mainly focused on healing, yet Guidance, Triage, and Mass Triage are not utilized at all.

Spell Examples:
1) An AoE healing that adds Guidance and Mass Triage
2) A single hit spell that adds Guidance and Triage to the caster

Balance – Balance doesn’t have many effect spells although Precision, Black Mantle, and Hex could be utilized better.

Spell Examples:
1) An AoE that does Black Mantle and Hex
2) An ally spell that gives a 10% or 15% blade plus Precision

Ice, Myth and Storm aren’t mentioned because I feel they have a good balance of spells that have after effects that work well in PvE. Ice has 5, Myth has 5, and Storm has 4 spells with PvE useful after effects.

Know what else happened by helping out PvErs? PvP benefited from these spells too. That wasn't even my intention, that is a side effect from creating spells with useful after effects. I'm not saying these ideas are perfect, but it starts the conversation into making each school feel more useful than it is already, while maintaining effect spells "in house".

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
dayerider on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
This is strictly a PvE topic for TRAINED school spells

Kingsisle, I really enjoy this game, and have a couple of wizards, but I’m afraid each school is not thought of the same way. I take issue with some schools’ complete lack of USEFUL PvE after effects.

Death – all we ever see if heal debuffing, nothing else. We have Lord of night, Dr Von’s and King Artorius which all do this. Why? Most PvE monsters just don’t heal themselves, so we have this wonderful spell, with completely USELESS after effects. How come we don’t have spells that do Curse, Beguile, Plague, Virulent Plague, or even Bad Juju? ANY of these would be more useful than another Infection based effect. You want to do infection again? Consider putting a second effect on it to make it more useful to PvErs who are the bulk of your players.

Examples:
1) An AoE that adds Virulent Plague
2) A single hit that adds Plague and Curse

Fire – Let me start by stating Krampus/King Artorius are a great start. They utilize effect spells already in the fire school. There needs to be ones that PvE enemies won’t be immune to (like stun – while not ALL monsters are immune, many are). How come fire doesn’t have any spells with Steal Charm, Choke, Smoke Screen, Detonate or Backdraft effects? Any of the spells I mentioned could easily be incorporated into new spells and any of them would be extremely useful. Now before you all complain about wanting to overpower fire, I don’t, the last 2 spells are effect spells, which is why they were included.

Spell Examples:
1) An AoE attacks all and does Smokescreen and Choke or Steal Charm
2) A single hit spells that Steals Charm and Smoke Screen

I’m now going to talk about other schools from an outside looking in point of view.

Life – tends to have the weakest attack and is mainly focused on healing, yet Guidance, Triage, and Mass Triage are not utilized at all.

Spell Examples:
1) An AoE healing that adds Guidance and Mass Triage
2) A single hit spell that adds Guidance and Triage to the caster

Balance – Balance doesn’t have many effect spells although Precision, Black Mantle, and Hex could be utilized better.

Spell Examples:
1) An AoE that does Black Mantle and Hex
2) An ally spell that gives a 10% or 15% blade plus Precision

Ice, Myth and Storm aren’t mentioned because I feel they have a good balance of spells that have after effects that work well in PvE. Ice has 5, Myth has 5, and Storm has 4 spells with PvE useful after effects.

Know what else happened by helping out PvErs? PvP benefited from these spells too. That wasn't even my intention, that is a side effect from creating spells with useful after effects. I'm not saying these ideas are perfect, but it starts the conversation into making each school feel more useful than it is already, while maintaining effect spells "in house".
I agree that black mantle is only used once, and that's in a spell that comes only as a mega rare drop from only 1 source. And weakness is only used in the same one and power nova. And there's only 1 spell that uses balanceblade, and that's a lore spell too. There's no spells that use hex either. So I'd definitely like to see some spells that use mantle, weakness, blade & hex.