Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spell Flexibility That Supports Team-Based Play

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
I don't know if this is an idea that has been considered before, but I had an idea for increasing flexibility of spells in team-based play. There are a lot of spells in the game that have an automatic player-centric utility on it like a charm or a ward. Examples of this are Gnomes! with a healing charm, Sound of Musicology with a damage blade, and Abominable Weaver with a ward. These are automatically placed on the wizard who cast the spell, but what if there was more of a choice in how this utility was used?

My proposition is that, after casting the spell, you can choose whether to place the utility on yourself or another member of your team. It doesn't change how the spell works in solo play, but allows for more flexibility with a team.

If there are 2 life wizards in a battle, and one casts Gnomes!, they will then have fewer pips and may not be able to utilize the healing charm before the battle is over. This is noted from my experience with team play as a life wizard. The only reason I have had to use Gnomes! is for damage and I have never used the utility. However, if the wizard who cast Gnomes! could place the healing buff on the other life wizard, they could follow up with a healing spell that makes good use of the utility.

Similarly, with the Sound of Musicology, a storm wizard who just cast the spell may not be ready to attack again for a couple turns. However, if there were another storm wizard in the battle, then they could place the utility blade on their teammate instead of themselves. This means that the other storm wizard could follow with another attack that would be stronger than if each wizard had acted alone.

For ice, having the option to place the Abominable Weaver card on a teammate helps to back their school identity in a supportive situation. The ice wizard may already have shields or may have enough resist that it would be more valuable to defend the hitter in the battle. Having this option just makes battles less rigid and allows for better team play.

Of course if there only is one of a certain school of wizard in a battle, then they would most likely target themselves. The exception being that some schools outside of life have healing, so Gnomes! could go to someone else. And obviously this comes in niche scenarios, a life wizard typically doesn't use Gnomes! in any given battle. However, this change means that it could be viable depending on your teammates.

Even if the function is not used in every battle, it would still be nice to have the option. It changes up the spells a little bit and makes teamwork a little easier. This change could help both PvP and PvE teams better their group dynamic. I really think that changes like this increase the flexibility of the game itself and encourages different playstyles, especially when questing or fighting with friends. I would love to workshop this idea, so let me know what you guys think!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
benkenobi2001. on Nov 5, 2020 wrote:
I don't know if this is an idea that has been considered before, but I had an idea for increasing flexibility of spells in team-based play. There are a lot of spells in the game that have an automatic player-centric utility on it like a charm or a ward. Examples of this are Gnomes! with a healing charm, Sound of Musicology with a damage blade, and Abominable Weaver with a ward. These are automatically placed on the wizard who cast the spell, but what if there was more of a choice in how this utility was used?

My proposition is that, after casting the spell, you can choose whether to place the utility on yourself or another member of your team. It doesn't change how the spell works in solo play, but allows for more flexibility with a team.

If there are 2 life wizards in a battle, and one casts Gnomes!, they will then have fewer pips and may not be able to utilize the healing charm before the battle is over. This is noted from my experience with team play as a life wizard. The only reason I have had to use Gnomes! is for damage and I have never used the utility. However, if the wizard who cast Gnomes! could place the healing buff on the other life wizard, they could follow up with a healing spell that makes good use of the utility.

Similarly, with the Sound of Musicology, a storm wizard who just cast the spell may not be ready to attack again for a couple turns. However, if there were another storm wizard in the battle, then they could place the utility blade on their teammate instead of themselves. This means that the other storm wizard could follow with another attack that would be stronger than if each wizard had acted alone.

For ice, having the option to place the Abominable Weaver card on a teammate helps to back their school identity in a supportive situation. The ice wizard may already have shields or may have enough resist that it would be more valuable to defend the hitter in the battle. Having this option just makes battles less rigid and allows for better team play.

Of course if there only is one of a certain school of wizard in a battle, then they would most likely target themselves. The exception being that some schools outside of life have healing, so Gnomes! could go to someone else. And obviously this comes in niche scenarios, a life wizard typically doesn't use Gnomes! in any given battle. However, this change means that it could be viable depending on your teammates.

Even if the function is not used in every battle, it would still be nice to have the option. It changes up the spells a little bit and makes teamwork a little easier. This change could help both PvP and PvE teams better their group dynamic. I really think that changes like this increase the flexibility of the game itself and encourages different playstyles, especially when questing or fighting with friends. I would love to workshop this idea, so let me know what you guys think!
I would love to see this feature implemented.

I do feel like that if you are an ICE PVE player that no one likes you/wants you on their team because you don't do anything. If there were more ways for Ice Players to defend the entire Team, I feel like that would be beneficial.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
exp613 on Nov 6, 2020 wrote:
I would love to see this feature implemented.

I do feel like that if you are an ICE PVE player that no one likes you/wants you on their team because you don't do anything. If there were more ways for Ice Players to defend the entire Team, I feel like that would be beneficial.
I would love to see more legion shield-type effects. Shadow sentinel is fine, but we could certainly use more team shields. As it is now, Ice doesn't have many secondary effects on their spells that actually reflect the school.