Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Something to Talk Around the Coffee Table

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
Just think about it, not trying to shame the other classes.
Not trying to get the other classes to tell me to *get gud ditch class*, Because, I am
Since I am posting this, I would at least share my thoughts on , to make them more in the spotlight as well. Although I'm not knowledgeable comparing any spells with other classes. But I do know what to think of about , they need something that definitely couldn't do, that would make class shine.

We need Kingsisle to make some quests, that are asking for & wizards attention. (Especially for a farm dungeon)

I mean, we all know These 2 classes get attention These guys get decent attention. can sub life, can definitely tank, still heal sometimes, is all around support.

The class, they are literally there, just to nuke battles. is there, to keep the nuker alive.

on the other hand, they are second in line for nuking (mainly overtime, and overtime isn't exactly nuking), but is definitely there to replace , in any farming place, even there just for questing, cause is speed, they could even ram full power into a shield and still do damage! isn't as hasty in attacking, like 's nature, but is still fast, it's just people would legit rather get a I get that. But gosh dang that hurts. (lol)

they are made, basically just to destroy beneficial effects, while being a decent nuker.

What I'm trying to say, it's not easy forming a team, without someone you'd know, for sure if you are or .

Correct me if I'm going the wrong way, but with my experiences as a have been difficult. I already got all the gear I need, I just hope Kingsisle would think of anymore spells, for or or make some quests that really would want a or MVP.

(BTW I think buffing Raging Bull's smoke screen, would be nice. Just compare the actual spell to Glowbug Squall which enfeebles everyone's blades as well as doing more damage for one less pip than Raging Bull. Or compare Sirens to Raging Bull, Sirens for 3 more pips no shadow, that even does more base damage than Bull, plus Sirens, leaves -50 smokescreen to all players as well as, disarming 2 blades from everyone. While Bull does less, and leaves a fake smokescreen, -25)

Seriously Kingsisle, think about making this a better future for these two classes. I'd thank you.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
TheLegendaryPyroma... on Nov 2, 2016 wrote:
Not trying to get the other classes to tell me to *get gud ditch class*, Because, I am
Since I am posting this, I would at least share my thoughts on , to make them more in the spotlight as well. Although I'm not knowledgeable comparing any spells with other classes. But I do know what to think of about , they need something that definitely couldn't do, that would make class shine.

We need Kingsisle to make some quests, that are asking for & wizards attention. (Especially for a farm dungeon)

I mean, we all know These 2 classes get attention These guys get decent attention. can sub life, can definitely tank, still heal sometimes, is all around support.

The class, they are literally there, just to nuke battles. is there, to keep the nuker alive.

on the other hand, they are second in line for nuking (mainly overtime, and overtime isn't exactly nuking), but is definitely there to replace , in any farming place, even there just for questing, cause is speed, they could even ram full power into a shield and still do damage! isn't as hasty in attacking, like 's nature, but is still fast, it's just people would legit rather get a I get that. But gosh dang that hurts. (lol)

they are made, basically just to destroy beneficial effects, while being a decent nuker.

What I'm trying to say, it's not easy forming a team, without someone you'd know, for sure if you are or .

Correct me if I'm going the wrong way, but with my experiences as a have been difficult. I already got all the gear I need, I just hope Kingsisle would think of anymore spells, for or or make some quests that really would want a or MVP.

(BTW I think buffing Raging Bull's smoke screen, would be nice. Just compare the actual spell to Glowbug Squall which enfeebles everyone's blades as well as doing more damage for one less pip than Raging Bull. Or compare Sirens to Raging Bull, Sirens for 3 more pips no shadow, that even does more base damage than Bull, plus Sirens, leaves -50 smokescreen to all players as well as, disarming 2 blades from everyone. While Bull does less, and leaves a fake smokescreen, -25)

Seriously Kingsisle, think about making this a better future for these two classes. I'd thank you.
Storm has no DoTs or multi-hits, Fire and Myth were built to destroy defences. Storm, while often very effective, is easily destroyed by a couple shields, or a weakness when they don't have a Cleanse Charm in-deck. Fire may take a couple turns longer, but when comparing spells: Fire often deals more than Storm. Like Fire Elf deals 310 damage for 2 pips. Myth, IMO, is the school that lost out when designing specialities and strengths. But Fire is the most popular and (I dare say) strong school in-game.

Now I think a highly defensive boss to farm would be brilliant and give Fire and Myth a spotlight over Storm. I also think your point about Raging Bull and Sirens would be very valid if you don't take into account the difference in players when you learn either spell. When Storm learns theirs, level 68 I think, it'd take about 5/6 pips/power pips depending on your chance to cast Sirens. And the damage isn't strictly higher, nevermind that the damage enchantments are 75/25 better when learning Raging Bull. Also, it takes a level 108-110 about 3/4 pips/power pips depending on your chance, to cast Raging Bull. And as Shadow pips are rarer, you usually get one early in a fight or not at all. Whereas 3 pips takes a couple of turns minimum. But with all that being said, there is still an issue there.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
Stop complaining. Fire (polaris and onwards) has better damage than storm on gear. Kingisle said, "Storm should rely on critical and Fire on damage." or something to that effect. Fire can be just as good, if not better, than storm. Dots? There is no point in shields when a fire is there to take them out. And myth? Myth is a main component in Omen, although myth, I agree, needs to be put more in the spotlight. Myth maybe gets thrown out, but fire? Come on, stop.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i'm just bring up my 94 ice wizard... i have raised my ice damage to 85 damage, and a 35% critical... and i can do a colossal enchanted blizzard, no blades or criticals, at 1800 if i critical i'm pushing 3k..... ice wizard, the weakest class possible.... doing 3k with no blades or traps but a critical and enchant... and my base health is 3400, if i put on my highest health giving gear... i push 7K, and my highest all around resistance is 64... so this being an ice wizard.... being strong enough to solo azteca bosses.... with 4 blzzards, and a reshuffle......yeah this just glorifies ya thoughts on fire and myth...... oh and i played around with a 1 pipped deck, all with a colossal enchant, and elemental/spiritual blades... i do 1000+ even with the 65 damage frost beetle... to the 125 thunder snake.....

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009

I agree 100%. One of the major problems with KI's PvE system is that it is designed in such a way that one particular attacking style is ideal. That attacking style is a One Hit Knock Out (OHKO). This means that the Storm school is far and away the best choice for taking out PvE enemies as their specialty is the OHKO. Things are further put in Storm's favor by these facts:

-PvE enemies rarely shield: This means that Storm has almost no interruption when setting up kill shots.
-PvE boss enemies have huge health pools: This means that chipping away at a bosses health is almost always inefficient and a big OHKO is best
-The faster you kill an enemy the easier the battle is and the more likely you are to survive: Storm's high dpp and ability to unleash devastating AoEs even without a Shadow Pip means that it will often reach a kill solution long before other schools.
-Storm's defensive weaknesses such as low resist, block and health pool often are not in play because monsters very rarely have pierce(starting only in Polaris), monsters have no damage boost and monsters don't enchant their attacks.

What this means is that Storm will almost always be the best choice in a team PvE setting. This leads to bad feelings and jealousy amongst other classes as they are often relegated to playing support or only have a chance to hit when Storm is not on the team.

On the other hand, when it comes to PvP we can clearly see that Storm is very much a consistent low-tier class. The factors that make it successful in PvE are almost never in play in PvP.

-PvP enemies shield often, something Storm has no answer to.
-PvP enemies have smaller health pools than bosses meaning they will almost never allow a OHKO set up and chip damage and combos are the best way to defeat them.
-In PvP, Storm is killed faster by it's enemies than it can kill them in return
-Storms weaker defenses are taken advantage of as all PvP enemies have high damage, pierce and the ability to combo.

Continued Below

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009

Storm does not have a large variety of tools(low versatility and utility) while simultaneously having a lot of weaknesses which leads it to a quick defeat in PvP where versatility and utility are key. On the other hand in PvE, damage spikes are king, to the exclusion of other factors and as such Storm crushes the competition there.

The PvE experience's design which benefits Storm the most leads many people to falsely believe that Storm is OP. This is why you see so many PvE folks complaining about Storm when it very clearly struggles in a PvP environment because of its numerous disadvantages. This is why people are almost universally opposed to Storm buffs even when the reasoning is ironclad and why many PvE players simply don't understand how Storm could be a low-tier school.

Thus, in order for KI to allow other classes a chance in the spotlight in PvE and be able to give Storm tools usable in PvP without PvE player complaints, it needs to design battles which would benefit different types of kill scenarios. It could design bosses that deal huge damage but where the win condition is surviving a certain amount of rounds(benefiting the life and ice schools). It could design a boss that constantly shields or that revives if killed by an OHKO but not a DoT(benefits Myth and Fire). It could design a boss that only allows trained universal buffs and debuffs(benefits death and balance). They could even design certain other win scenarios besides a straight OHKO.

Some potential new win scenarios could be:

-Survive a certain number of rounds
-The boss can only be killed by a minion
-The boss does not allow buffs at all
-Structured deck battles such as Morganthe's memories
-The boss can only be killed by a DoT

In this way other schools can start to find uses for many of the tools they already inherently have but which see almost no play in PvE due to the OHKO bias. Once this is achieved balancing PvP will also become easier.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 4, 2016 wrote:
Storm does not have a large variety of tools(low versatility and utility) while simultaneously having a lot of weaknesses which leads it to a quick defeat in PvP where versatility and utility are key. On the other hand in PvE, damage spikes are king, to the exclusion of other factors and as such Storm crushes the competition there.

The PvE experience's design which benefits Storm the most leads many people to falsely believe that Storm is OP. This is why you see so many PvE folks complaining about Storm when it very clearly struggles in a PvP environment because of its numerous disadvantages. This is why people are almost universally opposed to Storm buffs even when the reasoning is ironclad and why many PvE players simply don't understand how Storm could be a low-tier school.

Thus, in order for KI to allow other classes a chance in the spotlight in PvE and be able to give Storm tools usable in PvP without PvE player complaints, it needs to design battles which would benefit different types of kill scenarios. It could design bosses that deal huge damage but where the win condition is surviving a certain amount of rounds(benefiting the life and ice schools). It could design a boss that constantly shields or that revives if killed by an OHKO but not a DoT(benefits Myth and Fire). It could design a boss that only allows trained universal buffs and debuffs(benefits death and balance). They could even design certain other win scenarios besides a straight OHKO.

Some potential new win scenarios could be:

-Survive a certain number of rounds
-The boss can only be killed by a minion
-The boss does not allow buffs at all
-Structured deck battles such as Morganthe's memories
-The boss can only be killed by a DoT

In this way other schools can start to find uses for many of the tools they already inherently have but which see almost no play in PvE due to the OHKO bias. Once this is achieved balancing PvP will also become easier.
So are you saying that Storm gains it's uniqueness by being the best PVE school, but the cost is it's PVP ability?

I feel that the debate of School Uniqueness and being good at PVP and/or PVE may be at odds?

Having some bosses that "cheat" in the ways you described above would definitely be interesting.... Morganthe's memory was kind of difficult for me the first time (as I wasn't used to Death spells and had mainly just used my Ice Wizard) whereas on my next Wizard (Balance) because the fighting styles were a little more similar I was able to do better. I think that would definitely make you have to learn more about the game to do stuff like that and I mean it shouldn't be all the time, but fights like that might be cool. Or even fights that make you have to work as a team so that a OHKO isn't the best solution. Maybe something really weird like if you take zero damage from the boss it insta-dies? Hmm, it does open new possibilities.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
exp613 on Nov 6, 2016 wrote:
So are you saying that Storm gains it's uniqueness by being the best PVE school, but the cost is it's PVP ability?

I feel that the debate of School Uniqueness and being good at PVP and/or PVE may be at odds?

Having some bosses that "cheat" in the ways you described above would definitely be interesting.... Morganthe's memory was kind of difficult for me the first time (as I wasn't used to Death spells and had mainly just used my Ice Wizard) whereas on my next Wizard (Balance) because the fighting styles were a little more similar I was able to do better. I think that would definitely make you have to learn more about the game to do stuff like that and I mean it shouldn't be all the time, but fights like that might be cool. Or even fights that make you have to work as a team so that a OHKO isn't the best solution. Maybe something really weird like if you take zero damage from the boss it insta-dies? Hmm, it does open new possibilities.
The school uniqueness argument and a schools ability in PvP don't necessarily correlate. Look at the Life school- it's a top team PvE school right up there with Storm yet it also excels at solo play and PvP unlike Storm.

What I was saying is that a lack of variety in the way bosses are killed makes Storm the ideal choice in Team PvE and as such falsely makes Storm look overpowered to those players.In order to allow other schools to effectively utilize the tools they already have but rarely use, KI should invent bosses that cater to different types of kill scenarios.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 7, 2016 wrote:
The school uniqueness argument and a schools ability in PvP don't necessarily correlate. Look at the Life school- it's a top team PvE school right up there with Storm yet it also excels at solo play and PvP unlike Storm.

What I was saying is that a lack of variety in the way bosses are killed makes Storm the ideal choice in Team PvE and as such falsely makes Storm look overpowered to those players.In order to allow other schools to effectively utilize the tools they already have but rarely use, KI should invent bosses that cater to different types of kill scenarios.
I agree with all that you said, I couldn't explain it any better.

To the other replies, I wasn't speaking about how well your ice damage is, I have plenty of fire damage. I am just saying, the type of cards a storm has, compared to a fire, people would most likely choose storm, because of their spells. Not very often, someone would take an ice as a hitter... when they can choose over a pure hit class.

Xazers, I know for a fact fire wizards deal more damage overtime, than a storm. I am talking about, fire needs to have a spotlight in PvE. Storm is literally there to nuke, sweep the floor instant. All people would mainly think about is a storm than a fire. I'm really trying to point out, pretty much all the bosses that we farm, are open to one shot, while fire just leaves overtimes (mainly). So storm is there, to build up with a few blades, and a couple traps and destroys. Fire mainly couldn't do such a thing, so quickly. Not many people are seeing a fire, making it into the reserved spots for 4 people. Storm is there to nuke, life is there to keep the team alive. The other 2 spots, are for whoever can tank, and who can be more supportive, helping the attacker and weakening the enemies.

I find this important, to share because, farming bosses are always bringing a repetitive team!

Fire PvP is not a problem. I believe fire is, a fantastic PvP class. If you know what your doing as a fire. Just as long as fire has a strategy, and gear that is of course, good.