Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Wizards!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
Hey guys, I've never really made a post like this before, and if there is a better way of contacting Kingsisle about this, please let me know! Anyways, here we go:

The School of Shadow:
MUST HAVE A CHARACTER THAT HAS REACHED LEVEL 100 AND HAS COMPLETED KHRYSALIS
Starts off at level 95 in Khrysalis, and they have their own quest line that would help recap act 2. (And since act 1 is already completed it doesn’t really need to be mentioned, and Darkmoor introduced Malistaire)
Their questline in Khrysalis ends with the player being about level 100~ and having shadow exclusive gear that would be the bare minimum when fighting Morganthe
After their questline in Khrysalis, they have a small quest that introduces the Wizard to Ravenwood, where Headmaster Ambrose enrolls they as a student
After this, they get the quest for Polaris and have the same story quests as everyone else, they can do darkmoor, ect.
Shadow Wizards have a mastery of Shadow Magic. This means that their shadow pip cap is increased, they start with one or two pip, and the rate for receiving one is increased.
They don’t have as large of a spell book as any other class, but this is because they don’t have lower level spells (i.e. Dark Sprite and such)
Shadow Wizards can cancel shadow forms at will
Shadow Wizards attack in “cycles” and what this means is, they have normal shadow attacks like any other school, but they also have exclusive shadow forms.
Each new shadow form lasts for 6 rounds, and while in them, they will HEAVILY increase damage/stats of each spell, and add special shadow spells unique to each form. Depending on the form you will also have increased health, have higher shadow pip chance, higher pierce, adds blades/traps every round, and the list goes on.
While inside of these forms where each cards stats are heavily increased, Sun spells may NOT be used, as Shadow magic is too strong for there to be light
Shadow forms no longer do damage to you, unless you consistently cast spells that that certain form isn’t used for.
At the end of each form, they will either get healed, have a massive attack, have a huge buff, ect ect. Basically a reward for being committed to a form for 6 rounds.
Once out of a form, wizard can have the choice of using sun spells and attacking, or buffing and saving to enter another shadow form for massive damage.
To add some balance to this school, ALL incoming heal spells are HALVED at base
Resistance is also relatively low, but I’m not sure if they should have more or less than Storm
I feel like it would also be really cool if they could also start off with all the Moon spells, and have the ability to discard the form at will, plus other shadow exclusive benefits, but that’s kind of a personal thing that i would love

PROS:
Shadow Wizards just sound cool
Provides an opportunity to dive into the lore of Shadow magic
Some could see it as an “new game plus,” and it will give people something to do after they max their character = more play time
Adds a new interesting dynamic, and rewards the player with a strategic play style
Would be an influx of new shadow wizards, increasing current player subs, and also ensuring that more endgame areas are more populated for team up.

CONS:
Would have to design a questline to explain shadow wizards, which could potentially be amazing, but would have to tip toe around the current lore so as to not retcon anything
Adding shadow gear into loot tables from Khrysalis up
Balancing, would probably need a lot of feedback in the test realm and PvP

ANY FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED, I would love to make this an actual feature so any criticism is welcomed!

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
hrm.. they sort of did this when they introduced the balance school years ago. If you take a look at Death's spells you may note a sub-theme of balance type spells. Sacrifice, feint, empower. all of these utility spells caused a penalty on the death wizard in order to change the battle. Death was the original balance school. The new-fangled balance school has it relatively easy, they don't have additional costs to their spells.