Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Random drops in quests

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 03, 2010
This is the first time posting, so sorry if this has been talked about or addressed in some way before. Looked for a couple hours to see if it had been and did searching, but did not find. Was not sure where to post this either, so hope this is the right place.

I have been playing Wizard 101 since March 2010, so almost a year now. I am running six wizards, consecutively. :) My highest is Legendary Theurgist. The lowest is just starting Dragonspyre. I have enjoyed the game thoroughly.

The best part for me is the social interaction with real players instead of a game with NPCs. I have met some lovely people here.

I believe that the Company has done a wonderful job in trying to make this a fun, safe environment for all ages. Thank you for that and the chat options. :)

Okay. To the meat of it. I have a couple of complaints, but only one that does not seem to have been brought up like I said previously. I hope there is a way to address this. The random drops during a quest has in my experience been very tiring at times.

For instance, I spent three to four hours with friends helping me, trying to get swords from Shadow Mercenaries in Stormriven. That was a very frustrating night alleviated by wonderful online friends. That was with my now legendary life character.

Last night alone with my Grand Master Ice I was running into the same problem and gave up for the night. Even switched realms.

I have had friends ask for help with these kind of quests as well and it take a while.

I don't believe it should take that long to get two or three items to complete a quest, do you? I believe that leads to too much frustration with the game.

So here is a thought. Would it be possible to have a time limit or maximum won fights limit to gain the required items?

I thank you for your time and the fact that you do listen to your players.

Respectfully,

Rowan Storm Haven Legendary Theurgist, Dierdre Rainbow Walker Grandmaster Thaumaturge, Nora Storm Bringer Master Diviner, Amanda Owl Bringer Master Sorcerer, Saffron Giant Tamer Master Conjurer, Moira Ash Brand Master Pyromancer

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
Shadow mercenaries in storm riven do not give up swords easily. I had once spent a week and a half on that quest. I had even given up trying it while my freinds were on and just tried when no one was on except for others who were desperately trying.
I dont know if anything should be done about the endless did not collect quests as there are already too many people complaining about bosses getting "nerfed" whatever that means.
I do know that celestia was meant to be hard but for some reason its rivaling the briskbreeze and warehouse towers which i tried once, wasnt fun so i went on to other things in the game.
it seems its hardness is the learning curve of going from the now dragonspyre to celestia is akin to going from elementary school to community college.
if they had left ds alone then people would most likely better accept the difficulties and stuff of celestia rather than balk at it.
So, celestia is hard and like minisota has lakes, celestia has did not collect quests. When it gets old and frustrating its just as easy to abracadabra your wizard and start over again.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Unfortunately, there's a good number of quests that require randomly dropped items. A general rule of thumb (at least until you reach Celestia) is that the less of an item you need, the harder it will be to get it. I personally hate when said random drops happen to be a feather from a bird, or a scale from a snake...

Sometimes, you will be lucky and get the items you need fast. At other times, you might have to battle 10-12 monsters, just to get that one scale or scrap of paper you needed. There isn't, however, much you can do. If you run into a row of bad luck, place a mark and go do something else for a bit. Then return to your quest, and see if there's any improvement in your collection-chances.

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
I think it is supposed to take some time. As you go farther in the spiral, you start to need to collect more items and the items aren't dropped as much. Maybe try to get a certain way to kill the creatures and it will go faster. I, being storm, blade, trap and tempest. Its the fastest way, with attack all spells.

Good luck getting what you need.