Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP Overhaul

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
Yes, I realize this subject is done to death, but after a very disappointing run of PVP matches, I feel like I have to say SOMETHING.

The system is broken. Utterly. In the hour that I wasted trying out this aspect of the game, I ran across all manner of foes. Now, before you say that I might just be inexperienced, I must point out that the character I was using is level 55. I understand the differences between PVP strategy and NPC strategy, and I plan my deck accordingly. However, if the odds are stacked against, or occasionally in my favor, there is no fun. The reason I like this game so much is the strategy involved in the combat. As the game progresses, it becomes less about grinding through countless waves of monsters, and more about planning your attack six moves ahead. The enemies get tougher, in larger numbers, and occasionally, they cheat.

PVP threw that out the window. The gear and pets are all that matter. If you have lots of money and nothing better to do with your life, PVP is the golden apple. That's all well and good, because people can devote as much time as they choose to a game. That's their choice. But do the rest of us really have to deal with that? I went on a four loss streak because I kept facing level 95 Promethean warlords with souped up gear and perfect pets. My best strategies barely scratched them, due to their insane stats. The part that really burns me up is that I KNOW that without their precious treasure cards, warlord gear and EV trained pets, I could crush them. But, because they spend countless hours doing nothing but PVP, I will never stand a chance.

You may be thinking, "Well they're just more skilled than you. How do you think they got all that stuff?" That's true. It takes a lot of time and patience to get those things. But why don't they just fight each other? It would actually be a fair match. As things stand now matches can be insanely unfair.

Speaking of unfair, my next opponent was level 22. I wiped him off the board in less than ten turns. Was it because I was more skilled? No, it was because I was a higher level, and therefore had better stats and spells. I didn't enjoy it, and neither did he. So then why isn't the matchmaking system based on level and PVP stats? It seems like there's no system at all actually, since I run into all kinds of people in PVP. I'd rather fight people of my own caliber WITHOUT treasure cards and PVP gear.

So Kingsisle, do us all a favor. Either make some ultra special PVP arena for all those pros, or fix your ranking system. This issue is ruining the game for me, and I'm sure other people have the same gripe. I WANT to do PVP sometimes, but I can't because the matchmaking system is broken. Until something happens, I guess I'll just challenge my friends in my personal arena, under FAIR rules.

Elijah Titanheart

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
No reason to exaggerate if you have a problem with PvP matching. There is no chance of a lvl 55 fighting a lvl 95 warlord.

So then why isn't the matchmaking system based on level and PVP stats?

The matching sysem DOES use level and pvp rank. The only way you could have been matched with a lvl 22 would be because you are a private and he's much higher ranked than you.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2011
I've been sitting on this idea for awhile...

How about once you get Captain and above, you guys get your own ring, in this ring, you can lose captain and etc.. and fall back.

HOWEVER
In the old ring, no matter if you win or lose, once you obtain Captain, you can't lose it or get any higher, you've got to go to your new ring.

Defender
Jan 03, 2013
UnrestrictedBacon on Apr 18, 2014 wrote:
Yes, I realize this subject is done to death, but after a very disappointing run of PVP matches, I feel like I have to say SOMETHING.

The system is broken. Utterly. In the hour that I wasted trying out this aspect of the game, I ran across all manner of foes. Now, before you say that I might just be inexperienced, I must point out that the character I was using is level 55. I understand the differences between PVP strategy and NPC strategy, and I plan my deck accordingly. However, if the odds are stacked against, or occasionally in my favor, there is no fun. The reason I like this game so much is the strategy involved in the combat. As the game progresses, it becomes less about grinding through countless waves of monsters, and more about planning your attack six moves ahead. The enemies get tougher, in larger numbers, and occasionally, they cheat.

PVP threw that out the window. The gear and pets are all that matter. If you have lots of money and nothing better to do with your life, PVP is the golden apple. That's all well and good, because people can devote as much time as they choose to a game. That's their choice. But do the rest of us really have to deal with that? I went on a four loss streak because I kept facing level 95 Promethean warlords with souped up gear and perfect pets. My best strategies barely scratched them, due to their insane stats. The part that really burns me up is that I KNOW that without their precious treasure cards, warlord gear and EV trained pets, I could crush them. But, because they spend countless hours doing nothing but PVP, I will never stand a chance.

You may be thinking, "Well they're just more skilled than you. How do you think they got all that stuff?" That's true. It takes a lot of time and patience to get those things. But why don't they just fight each other? It would actually be a fair match. As things stand now matches can be insanely unfair.

Speaking of unfair, my next opponent was level 22. I wiped him off the board in less than ten turns. Was it because I was more skilled? No, it was because I was a higher level, and therefore had better stats and spells. I didn't enjoy it, and neither did he. So then why isn't the matchmaking system based on level and PVP stats? It seems like there's no system at all actually, since I run into all kinds of people in PVP. I'd rather fight people of my own caliber WITHOUT treasure cards and PVP gear.

So Kingsisle, do us all a favor. Either make some ultra special PVP arena for all those pros, or fix your ranking system. This issue is ruining the game for me, and I'm sure other people have the same gripe. I WANT to do PVP sometimes, but I can't because the matchmaking system is broken. Until something happens, I guess I'll just challenge my friends in my personal arena, under FAIR rules.

Elijah Titanheart
You were in the same boat I was when this happened. Heres the thing.... Kingsisle is not perfect... Nor is the PvP system. PvP is MEANT to be a stressful environment (Although I wish it wasnt) and is a extremely competitive part of the game. Players literally train for years on many games and especially this game to use PvP the best way possible. I seen one player who said since PvP opened he trains there everyday and is quite skilled to beat people higher than his level! PvP yes is unfair in level matches.... but think... is it the fact the levelling is not perfect or am I not finding the right strategy to beat them in their own game? Fact is I have a close to Level 40 Warlord Ice, that takes a lot of time and effort for a level under than 50. I had opponents who I met at the time around levels 35-50 and I was only 25! The way I won was i formulated a strategy that can take on all contenders and provide a unpredictable move set. It was hard and yes frustrating enough to make me want to throw my keyboard in a lake but I made it eventually. Even for practice.... its called practice for a reason. It isnt meant to be a set anything like Ranks or Tournaments.
So altogether... (Although this may seem harsh to you.) If you dont like the way PvP is done. Its best to not use the PvP in Wizard and stick to questing. Or if it is all you do in the game, try out other games that have a similar PvP setting. Also if you wish to stick in PvP try new and different ideas and see whats working best for your character. Who knows? Maybe it can be something new and different that stumps people at 95 to not figure out what to do and you can beat them!
So sorry this wont happen, good luck.

Joshua Frostthorn, 39-40 Warlord
Kane Deathbringer, 95 Sergeant

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I have responded to this many times,and i must disagree with you just as with the other posts of the same nature. To call pvp "broken" would suggest that it once worked,and now is in disrepair. I surmise that it has never been set-up properly to begin with,thus resulting in the flood of problems that plague it. KI has taken what i call the "band-aid" approach to dealing with these issues.<when they deal with them at all>. This method only makes matters worse,because by addressing only a single area at a time,each "fix" creates a whole new set of issues.I do agree that KI should completely overhaul the system from top to bottom. It is the only way to make a good pvp system. It would take a lot of time and cash on their part though, and i'm guessing that is something they are unwilling to do. Perhaps the more players abandon it, the more KI will take a hard look at pvp and finally do what is needed.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Intrepidatius on Apr 18, 2014 wrote:
I have responded to this many times,and i must disagree with you just as with the other posts of the same nature. To call pvp "broken" would suggest that it once worked,and now is in disrepair. I surmise that it has never been set-up properly to begin with,thus resulting in the flood of problems that plague it. KI has taken what i call the "band-aid" approach to dealing with these issues.<when they deal with them at all>. This method only makes matters worse,because by addressing only a single area at a time,each "fix" creates a whole new set of issues.I do agree that KI should completely overhaul the system from top to bottom. It is the only way to make a good pvp system. It would take a lot of time and cash on their part though, and i'm guessing that is something they are unwilling to do. Perhaps the more players abandon it, the more KI will take a hard look at pvp and finally do what is needed.
This, a thousand percent.

I have no issues with fighting higher-ranked/leveled opponents, within reason. But a lot of these matches are ridiculous, due to some people having infinite amounts of money and time to pour into the game~ at this point, having earned my rank (rather than bought it) is a feat in itself.

-von
veteran

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Intrepidatius on Apr 18, 2014 wrote:
Band aid approach is spot on.

It's discouraging to see so much potential untapped.