Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please Consider an upgrade to Catalan

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I would like to propose that Catalan receive a slight change in damage distribution(think minotaur) or small effect. Catalan is the only crafted spell that does not fit any strategic niche of the school. It's base damage falls precisely on the average of Stormzilla's damage making it in effect a clone of that spell. I will go through each of the other school's crafted spell and demonstrate how it fills a strategic niche.

Fire
-Brimstone Revenant- Compare to Immolate(Fills a strategic niche by offering fire a 4 pip single target, single hit spell that does not damage yourself rather than a single target, single hit spell that is self injurious)

Ice
-Handsome Fomori- Compare to Frostbite(Fills a strategic niche by offering ice a 5 pip single target, single hit spell rather than a single target DoT)

-Winter Moon-
Compare to Frostbite and Handsome Fomori(Fills a strategic niche by offering ice a 5 pip single target, single hit spell with an added effect rather than a DoT or single target, single hit with no added effect)

Myth
-Ninja Pigs- Compare to Minotaur(Fills a strategic niche by offering myth a single target, single hit spell that is well above the typical damage per pip range of said school rather than a single target, double hit spell)

-Keeper of the Flame-
Compare to Humongofrog(Fills a strategic niche by offering myth a single target, single hit spell with an added effect rather than a multi target, single hit spell with no added effect)

Death
-Deer Knight- Compare to Skeletal Pirate(Fills a strategic niche by offering death a multi target, DoT spell rather than a single target single hit spell.

-Lord of Night- Compare to Skeletal Pirate and Deer Knight(Fills a strategic niche by offering death a single hit, single target drain with an added effect rather than a single target, single hit spell with no added effect or a multi target DoT spell)

Life
-Goat Monk- No direct comparison available as Life's 5 pip spell is a heal(Fills a strategic niche by offering life a 5 pip single target, single hit attack spell which it does not naturally have in it's repertoire)

-Luminous Weaver- Compare to Seraph(Fills a strategic niche by offering life a 4 pip single target, single hit spell with an added effect compared to a 4 pip single target, single hit spell with no added effect)

Balance
-Samoorai- No direct comparison available as Balance's 5 pip spell is a manipulation(Fills a strategic niche by offering balance a 5 pip single target, single hit attack spell which it does not naturally have in it's repertoire)

-Savage Paw-
Compare to Samoorai(Fills a strategic niche by offering balance a 5 pip single target, single hit attack spell with an added effect rather than a 5 pip single target attack spell with no added effect.

Storm
-Catalan- Compare to Stormzilla(Fills no strategic niche by offering storm a 5 pip single target, single hit attack spell with no added effect compared to a 5 pip single target, single hit attack spell with no added effect.)

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Good idea Eric. Storm got the short end of crafted/dropped spells. Catalan should have an effect.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
I agree with everything Eric posted. While every school has good and bad spells, Catalan is one that warrants an improvement due to its inferiority to the other crafted spells. It's obvious the crafted spells were intended to fill a void within their particular school, but Catalan does not. I believe the most practical solution (assuming everyone acknowledges Catalan as the worst crafted spell) is to slightly reduce the damage and add a 1-turn stun effect while keeping the spell rank as it currently is. It's also easy for me to see Storm deserving a Savage Paw-like utility from a crafted spell as well. A 4-pip, single hit spell that returns a Storm Blade would be perfect for Diviners, in my opinion. Oh, and I'm not a Storm Wizard; there was no bias in this post.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Matthew Raven 55 on Apr 17, 2014 wrote:
I agree with everything Eric posted. While every school has good and bad spells, Catalan is one that warrants an improvement due to its inferiority to the other crafted spells. It's obvious the crafted spells were intended to fill a void within their particular school, but Catalan does not. I believe the most practical solution (assuming everyone acknowledges Catalan as the worst crafted spell) is to slightly reduce the damage and add a 1-turn stun effect while keeping the spell rank as it currently is. It's also easy for me to see Storm deserving a Savage Paw-like utility from a crafted spell as well. A 4-pip, single hit spell that returns a Storm Blade would be perfect for Diviners, in my opinion. Oh, and I'm not a Storm Wizard; there was no bias in this post.
Yes there are so many options it really is saddening that storm is the only school that in effect received a clone of their spell.

Survivor
May 08, 2012
I completely agree that Storm got the short end of the crafted spells, seeing as we only have one of said spells, and its pretty much just a clone.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
The logic is iron-clad. Catalan needs improving.