Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet training

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 20, 2013
So we all know that Pet Training can be very tedious and needs an improvement. Games are fun first two times, but then they get a bit boring and take too long. So I came up with two suggestions, one simple and other a bit drastic.

First simple one. You could simply scale exp gain from games. Like Energy cost is scaled depending on pets age.

Second drastic one. You can make having a Pet be mini game on itself. When you summon a pet a timer starts, 30 minutes or so. After timer rans out, a pet will demand a snack. A timer starts again when a pet is fed. On rare occasions a pet would ask for a certain snack that would give a double of its exp. As well to this change exp requirement for a pet to level up should be doubled.

Second one would make a lot of people happy, because nobody likes to sit in hatchery and play mini games. Majority simply lose on purpose because it's faster to get to the feeding stage.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Anthony Wildgrove on Jul 10, 2018 wrote:
So we all know that Pet Training can be very tedious and needs an improvement. Games are fun first two times, but then they get a bit boring and take too long. So I came up with two suggestions, one simple and other a bit drastic.

First simple one. You could simply scale exp gain from games. Like Energy cost is scaled depending on pets age.

Second drastic one. You can make having a Pet be mini game on itself. When you summon a pet a timer starts, 30 minutes or so. After timer rans out, a pet will demand a snack. A timer starts again when a pet is fed. On rare occasions a pet would ask for a certain snack that would give a double of its exp. As well to this change exp requirement for a pet to level up should be doubled.

Second one would make a lot of people happy, because nobody likes to sit in hatchery and play mini games. Majority simply lose on purpose because it's faster to get to the feeding stage.
Lol, I completely see where you're coming from. I'm at the Pet Pavilion 99.99% of the time sitting in realm Wraith training my pet. I have so many pets at Adult and even more at Ancient and all my friends ask me how I can bear to sit there in the Pet Pavilion training my pets all day. My answer is that I love the pets that Kingsisle puts into the game. All of them are so cute and it's like a one on one bonding experience with my own virtual pet, so it's not really a "grind" for me to train my pets. I'm currently working on getting a double may cast aura on my Magma Colossus (love that pet btw) and it's fun raising and training my pet. I will agree, though, that pet training could use some work as it is a painful grind to most players and getting 4 pet XP per game isn't really that satisfying from getting a perfect score from a mini game. Plus, like you said, games take too long and get annoying after a while. I will vouch for an increase in pet mini game XP so pet training isn't as painful. In my opinion, getting a pet to Ancient with the current pet training state isn't that difficult. Ancient to Epic and onwards is where it gets difficult. Games take a lot of energy to play and don't drop that much XP. An increase in pet XP per minigame would get a lot of players back into the Pet Pavilion! Thank you for this post, it breaks my heart that a lot of the players have ultimately stopped caring about pets due to the grinding that it requires.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 40 Diviner and Grandmaster Artisan at your service!)