Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Penalties for fleeing battles.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Hello,
I am sure there are a lot of other members that would agree with me on this. I am getting a little ticked of at some members fleeing battles after they join yours. What they do is join your battle, adding another monster to the battle, then flee!!
I have seen members do this right away! Almost to the point of it being a practical joke on others.
I think that KI should seriously consider a penalty for members that flee a battle.
If KI will do this, they should not tell people to flee during the timer when you are defeated. It is sort of confusing to new members. First you are defeated. Then you get a message to flee, Then you get another message to wait a member can heal you.
Getting back to the penalty part.
If my message should manifest into a new rule, then here is what I think.
They should lose 5 points per level that they are.
Now I am not saying this should be a cut throat rule. there are things to consider. Are they running low on health. Well here are 2 answers for that.
1) nobody ever dies, right? well then just ride the battle out.
2) If you do flee and get back into the battle, then you will not be penalized.
I know some members flee, replenish and join again. This only takes a minute or so.
I am not the best at getting my point across, but I think you all get the picture.
Please reply, Mark Dragonleaf.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
stormkraker on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
Hello,
I am sure there are a lot of other members that would agree with me on this. I am getting a little ticked of at some members fleeing battles after they join yours. What they do is join your battle, adding another monster to the battle, then flee!!
I have seen members do this right away! Almost to the point of it being a practical joke on others.
I think that KI should seriously consider a penalty for members that flee a battle.
If KI will do this, they should not tell people to flee during the timer when you are defeated. It is sort of confusing to new members. First you are defeated. Then you get a message to flee, Then you get another message to wait a member can heal you.
Getting back to the penalty part.
If my message should manifest into a new rule, then here is what I think.
They should lose 5 points per level that they are.
Now I am not saying this should be a cut throat rule. there are things to consider. Are they running low on health. Well here are 2 answers for that.
1) nobody ever dies, right? well then just ride the battle out.
2) If you do flee and get back into the battle, then you will not be penalized.
I know some members flee, replenish and join again. This only takes a minute or so.
I am not the best at getting my point across, but I think you all get the picture.
Please reply, Mark Dragonleaf.
And how would KI tell when someone is fleeing because they are soloing and either got pulled into a duel, or some other reason and just want to flee? I do not want to be punished because of the rude actions of others. Sorry, I can't support this.

Explorer
Apr 01, 2011
1. What do you mean nobody ever dies? People die all the time. Especially in high level dungeons.

2.What if the dungeon is full when you come back to rejoin the battle? What if someone left the battle only because they lost connection? What if they lost power? (I am one of the people who lose connection often!)

Losing 5 experience points per level doesn't give anybody a reason to not flee if they want to, since it's easy to get the points back. If even more was lost, people would probably quit the game out of anger.

Also, please keep in mind that there are young children who play this game. Don't you think a 5 or 6 year old would be unhappy to see they lost something they earned? Even if they did flee on purpose, they're still young and might not realize fleeing was a bad thing to do.

This game has never had a penalty for fleeing, and I don't believe one should be added now, especially when there seems to be less people playing the game than before.

Rebecca Bright Level 90
Miranda Shadowflame Level 90
Sabrina Emeraldblossom Level 85
Victoria Roseblood Level 82
Diana Moonflower Level 77
Christina Goldenflower Level 71

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
No penalties. And you do die. And lose all your mana is enough.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2009
Then why is there a flee button in the first place??!
No, no penalty for fleeing. Sure, other wizards might flee for pranks and jokes but it's not the majority and they shouldn't be punished with that kind of thing because a few did something that you don't like.
Jazzy ThunderStaff lvl 90

"When the dueling gets hot, summon a fire shield."

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
I actually made a post on this earlier about being able to block the open spots in a fight so people can't join. I truly dislike when people jump into my fights right when I use my kill shot. At high levels in Azteca, monsters start with a high number of pips, and can cast a large spell right on the first turn. It happened to me twice today, where I boosted up for a multi area hit to kill (i'm storm) and someone joined right when I casted it. I then killed too of the enemies, not being able to kill the last one. And had so low health left that I instantly died the next round from the fresh enemy that joined with 4 power pips. This really annoys me when I just barely killed my enemies, than some random guy joins without asking and brings in another. I love playing in groups when people ask to join (as to not join on my final attack), but would much rather just be able to block people from joining my fights all together and open up a slot for them when someone asks or if they are in my group already. Anyway, all done ranting lol. :D
-Adam Seafist lvl 89

Survivor
Mar 26, 2013
I am sure you have fled at least once in this game and i only flee when it is an emergency, like when i have no cards left or low mana or in difficult dungeon cases... low health!
I cannot support this either because there already is a penalty which is losing all of your mana!

Fiona Thunderfist / Travis

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
I agree this is annoying, but I also have to agree with the other posters.
It's not fair. It'd be too hard to tell. I play with my higher friend who refuses to let me heal her. When she dies, she flees and comes back with full health. It's nice. I don't want her to loose stuff because of it.

I suggest we become good community members and make a habit of asking before joining battles, and if we get pulled in, apologizing. We need to live with this inconvenience. It's not debilitating.
Switch to a quiet realm for insurance. Turn off your friend teleportation option.

Maybe KI can add a new option that can allow you to choose "solo" and not allow anyone join you battles. Idk. Not important to me: I'll just survive. It's annoying, but it's life.

Be a good community member and wizard.

Rebecca Emeraldflame lvl 75 sorcerer

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Rebecca Bright on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
1. What do you mean nobody ever dies? People die all the time. Especially in high level dungeons.

2.What if the dungeon is full when you come back to rejoin the battle? What if someone left the battle only because they lost connection? What if they lost power? (I am one of the people who lose connection often!)

Losing 5 experience points per level doesn't give anybody a reason to not flee if they want to, since it's easy to get the points back. If even more was lost, people would probably quit the game out of anger.

Also, please keep in mind that there are young children who play this game. Don't you think a 5 or 6 year old would be unhappy to see they lost something they earned? Even if they did flee on purpose, they're still young and might not realize fleeing was a bad thing to do.

This game has never had a penalty for fleeing, and I don't believe one should be added now, especially when there seems to be less people playing the game than before.

Rebecca Bright Level 90
Miranda Shadowflame Level 90
Sabrina Emeraldblossom Level 85
Victoria Roseblood Level 82
Diana Moonflower Level 77
Christina Goldenflower Level 71
Young wizard, no wizard or monster is ever killed in the playing of this game, we and they are defeated. That is how we and the monsters are able to be there to battle another battle .

Survivor
Feb 23, 2013
i'm lvl 78 fire and srsly? loosing 5 xp ain't nothing to me rofl, and honestly, i dont agree with that, but there is already a penalty for fleeing, loosing all your mana

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
  1. What if someone was going to do one last battle then take a break and they had to flee? They would lose XP for not battling again? Unfair.
  2. We already lose all our mana. It's a penalty.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
Yes I forgot about that. There is a penalty for fleeing, we just know it's there so we don't give it a second thought.

Again, just live with it. Gamers can be jerks; they're human. That doesn't mean we can or should do anything about it. Life isn't perfect. It's life.

Lets (re)start the tradition of being kind and courteous about joining battles. (see my last reply)

Rebecca Emeraldflame lvl 75 sorcerer

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
Ok... That's extremely harsh, you don't need to go that far. How about that when someone flees the battle, ( this only applies if they made another enemy join) the enemy they brought would disappear. There, no harm done and it is fixed.

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
RavenLady777 on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
And how would KI tell when someone is fleeing because they are soloing and either got pulled into a duel, or some other reason and just want to flee? I do not want to be punished because of the rude actions of others. Sorry, I can't support this.
first of all they would probably place a timer on you to see if rejoin the fight before they penalize you and I would hope that there would be some way to tell whether or not you caused another monster to join or not. meaning if another monster didn't join and you fled then there isn't any problem, but if another monster did join you better stay and fight it out.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
I need to flee sometimes and losing all mana is a penalty. Like when I'm gonna die and I don't have a potion or someone's friend comes but all the spots are full, I flee. And I do it in a nice way for the second reason. Plus losing experience is not even realistic in anyway. Losing experience is like losing some of your memory (In real life) so that is way weird and mean.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Northlite on Aug 23, 2013 wrote:
Young wizard, no wizard or monster is ever killed in the playing of this game, we and they are defeated. That is how we and the monsters are able to be there to battle another battle .
we did kill malistare smart so

Survivor
Jul 18, 2013
That happens to me a lot if times once i was fighting a hard boss with three other players when suddenly they flee! I had to defeat it by myself with the three minions! I asked all three and too of them said that they were invited to a party. The third one admitted that she was told to flee and go to their house. So she came and help and it worked out pretty good. But it should have a penalty for fleeing! Maybe when you flee a message appears saying A New Foe Has Appeared! And it turns off their flee and they have to fight him with no mana!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
West DeathTalon on Aug 24, 2013 wrote:
first of all they would probably place a timer on you to see if rejoin the fight before they penalize you and I would hope that there would be some way to tell whether or not you caused another monster to join or not. meaning if another monster didn't join and you fled then there isn't any problem, but if another monster did join you better stay and fight it out.
If they could implement something like that I would be all for it. I just don't want to be penalized for fleeing a solo battle, you know? For me, I never join a fight without asking and have never fled (unless it was preplanned like the Malestaire battle where we did a bait and switch kind of deal to get through it quicker) a battle I have joined.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
chanceumightwin on Aug 25, 2013 wrote:
That happens to me a lot if times once i was fighting a hard boss with three other players when suddenly they flee! I had to defeat it by myself with the three minions! I asked all three and too of them said that they were invited to a party. The third one admitted that she was told to flee and go to their house. So she came and help and it worked out pretty good. But it should have a penalty for fleeing! Maybe when you flee a message appears saying A New Foe Has Appeared! And it turns off their flee and they have to fight him with no mana!
That last part is just mean and cruel. We already lose all our mana.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
SoupWizard64 on Aug 24, 2013 wrote:
Ok... That's extremely harsh, you don't need to go that far. How about that when someone flees the battle, ( this only applies if they made another enemy join) the enemy they brought would disappear. There, no harm done and it is fixed.
All problems fixed hear people... Read it.

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Holy, this happens to me a lot. But worse, someone will join then suddenly they are afk until the battle ends. Totally unfair rude and time consuming. However as much as I hate random people joining, summoning another creature in the duel, then flee... I don't really see how this will work out, there would be issues with deciding what is a penalty and what is not. ....

Explorer
Apr 15, 2012

I actually agree with this. BUT!
There should be boundaries.
If someone flees a normal battle out in the open
in any given world, then that should be okay, but manners
would kick in. If you get caught, help the person finish, especially
if you pull an extra enemy in with you.

For dungeons: ABSOLUTELY.
There are WAY too many people that enter a dungeon and then they
go AFK for a long time or they just flee or they have to log off for whatever reason.
If you can't finish it, then don't enter it. There should be a dungeon penalty for fleeing.
Going AFK - this needs to be worked out and this would be an entirely new topic altogether.

Personally, if you flee from a dungeon, then you can't enter another one for one hour unless you exit
the game completely. I know that if I port home or to the commons, I can't port anywhere for one minute.
If I log off and don't come back on for another day or so, that timer is still ticking when I come back on!
Therefore, if I have to deal with that penalty, then the Dungeon Penalty should persist through logouts also.

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
Me and one friend soloed tower of the helephant back when we were level 60's (he was a life and I was a storm). The final boss was crazy hard for 2 of us back at that level and what we did was wait till one of us got lower health or die, fled and used a potion, then ran straight back as fast as we could. We sorta just swapped off that way. We each probably fled about 10 times and it took us 2 hours to do that one fight, but we finally beat him lol. Anyway, fleeing is a good strategy in lots of fights when you only have 2 people on a hard boss. In fact, back in Avalon when the bosses started becoming very difficult to solo, I'd often find myself about to die (I was solo so boss would reset) and have a random friend port to me so that when I died I could flee and port back to them and continue the boss fresh. I love the flee option, and think the punishment of losing mana is plenty. however, I totally think you should be able to block slots in the battle to keep people from joining.

-Adam Seafist lvl 90

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Thank You all for the debating.

First I would like to thank NORTHLITE for CONFIRMING my statement about the fact that you never die.
You just are DEFEATED! not dead.

My answer to MRNADRSTORM: No I never fled! I will wait like a gentleman for someone to heal me. This way I can still contribute to the battle. And If I do one day flee, I will in fact drink a purple bottle and come right back to the battle. If you read the whole message, I don't consider this flee'ing. If I added a monster, I wont leave anyone there to clean up the mess.

CORATHUS: You have a good point about alternating for more health and mana.

To everybody else. It looks like you read about half way through the message and gave quick response.
I did mention the fact that There are things to consider. This part of the message answers some of the statements that you made.

Thank You all, and keep debating. Mark Dragonleaf

Survivor
Jan 20, 2010
Hello !

Sorry but I'm against the idea 100% ! There are SO many unwanted, useless fight that you get just because a mob passed near you that's it's not fun and is a total waste of time !

Also, don't forget the amount of kids playing this game and the parents don't care about what their kid is doing, sometimes its NOW, bedtime or something else, would you punish them because of that ?

To go in your direction (the idea of having a penalty for leaving combats) I would actually punish the players who NEVER ask before joining in your fight ! It's frustrating and rude and quite often they are not wanted.

There should be a prompts window saying (asking) this or that players wishes to join your fight (do you accept yes or no) it would prevent this problem from occurring !

Some people have absolutely no respect or consideration for others and it just enrages me to have someone barge in my fights, ruin everything, add another mob and sometimes even leaving !

Even worse, sometimes players don't pay attention (or don't care or do it by purpose) to the field and ruin your feint for example by casting a wand or something as ridiculous as that !

Simple: when you're in a fight, there should be a window popping up asking you if you allow this or that person to join your fight or not ! People need to learn some manners and some respect when you see people fighting and want to join in, ASK them first PLZ ! It would be much appreciated !

Be cool people, fight fair, play fair !