Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Ooh you got crowns, can you gift me?"

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Everytime I get crowns this is what I get hounded with. How do they even know I got crowns? I mean stitching I could see, cause your gear looks noob but stats are same, but you get one little thing and your friends beg....Cause they never seem to ask when I got that item gifted from another friend...

wizardrokz

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
This is what I do:

Usually I will meet a friendly person while questing, and we become friends. Then, right after they think they made a good bond, BAM!
"Can you gift me PLEASE???? Just one thing! Come on! You must be rich to have that mount! Selfish!"
Right when they ask I delete them. If they were a good friend of mine, they would know that asking to be gifted instead of patiently receiving would be better.
I hardly gift at all, except for my closest friends. It is my hard earned money and you do not deserve a single bit. Harsh, I know, but if they want crowns, they must use their money.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
wizardrokz on Oct 31, 2013 wrote:
Everytime I get crowns this is what I get hounded with. How do they even know I got crowns? I mean stitching I could see, cause your gear looks noob but stats are same, but you get one little thing and your friends beg....Cause they never seem to ask when I got that item gifted from another friend...

wizardrokz
If your friends are begging, delete them, they most likely wont be any fun in the future and just ask for gifts. I have a massive friends list and none ask but I gift them when I feel generous once they helped me sometimes. Just ignore them and find friends who are more fun and not begging for crowns. I don't think they realize that we mostly buy crowns for ourself with OUR money not to spend on strangers across the world...

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
wizardrokz on Oct 31, 2013 wrote:

wizardrokz
They can see your gear, pets and mounts by simply clicking on your character. They don't know if you still have crowns or not, but assume so.
If they are begging, they are not friends; dump them, put them on ignore and move on.

Survivor
May 27, 2009
I don't use my crowns for gear anyway. I just use them to unlock areas and I find my gear through battles and shops. More fun that way and you can find some cool stuff out there.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
I don't like this either, but here is a the funniest way to stop them! :D so when they ask, say ok, then go into the crown shop for a few seconds,say you gifted them and then say it takes a few minutes to show up, port away and remove that person and put them on ignore :) :D :) :D
blaze deathward lvl 77 transcendent pyromancer

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I constantly got hounded for gifts from "friends" whenever I change anything, swap wand, mount, etc whether it was crown or stitch. My solution was to give them one warning to not beg; then half a minute later they asked again and got removed. I only gift real friends who don't ask and have proven themselves. I used to random gift on occasions to strangers to be generous when I was feeling kind, but stopped due to them either asking for more or asking for their friend.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
Just tell them you don't have gifting enabled and you can't gift them. Or say you're broke. Or delete and ignore them. They'll get tired eventually.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Ya, those are "friends"... v_v

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I get a lot of people telling me how selfish I am for not sharing my crowns with them or anyone else. Excuse me? I have a limited income (doesn't most people these days?), so I save my money and buy crowns when they are on sale.

Do I splurge my hard-earned money on every Tom, Dick or Harry that asks for gifts? Nope. My money is my money, and I'll spend it any way I wish, and if it's just for myself, well ....... so be it.

Whether it be kids or adults that ask for gifts, it seems respect for the game and it's players have been thrown out the window, by rude, obnoxious, annoying beggars. There seems to be no such thing as "earning" what you want. It's the "I want it now" generation and they will go to the "begging" extremes to try and get what they want.

So, if it's someone on my friend list, I delete them. If it's a random person, I introduce them to Mr. Ignore

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Trust me, I come close to deleting them. The thing is, they are actually really nice and helpful....it's only when I get crowns they turn greedy. I usually just ignore them if they keep talking, and then they apologize.

I don't know, I would sort of feel bad deleting them, I have been through many quests with some of them

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I only gift my family members, or very good friends. With friends, and only my best in-game friends, I gift them as I would gift friends in real life, for Christmas or for some special occasion -- it is not an everyday thing.

Otherwise, I usually just say no. If they persist, I ignore them and remove them from my friends list. Some people in the Wizard world have a "gimme" mentality -- but none of these people are real friends, just as they would not be real friends in real life. Real friends enjoy spending time with you, and don't covet your stuff. Real friends are not leeches.

But it is harder when you have spent some time with people before they start this begging routine. Sometimes, you just have to let them know that it does not feel good to have people beg from you, and it puts a strain on a friendship. You can let them know you really enjoy their company, but begging ruins the friendship.

We all come by our crowns either through our own hard work in life, or by that of the person who bought us the crowns, who want us to enjoy the gift they gave us. Your online friends also have family or the ability to work so they can afford crowns. So they don't have a right to your crowns, and it is not kind of them to assume they do.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I like to gift my friends occasionally, for their birthdays or holidays... And they certainly don't beg me for anything, nor do they expect it.

When people ask for gifts, I'll lie and tell them that 1) I was gifted the item by someone else, or 2) I don't have any more crowns. My crowns are mine- my money is mine, and I don't owe you any of it.

Brynner is right~ though there are exceptions, the game's target audience is the instant-gratification generation. They don't want to work for anything: they expect that it will be handed to them, because they think the world owes them something.

Usually, I don't even waste time with Ignore. I give the beggar a firm no, and change realms. My friends don't beg, so I haven't had to delete anyone yet... fingers crossed it never comes to that.

-von

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Here is a good strategy-
Random person- Can you gift me, ________?
Me- Sorry, but no.
Random person- C'mon, pleasssssssssssssssssssse?
Me- I can't.
Random person- Why not? Because you don't like me :(?
Me- No, I like you, but I have my gifting options turned off.

-Molly level 83 balance

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
I Just tell them no and if they keep bugging me i just remove them.

Explorer
Sep 30, 2013
Me, I don't expect anyone to gift me anything. Yes, I may comment on their mount or a pet or something, perhaps ask where they got it and if its still available. I might even say and have said, I need to get a permanent mount, but I've not asked anyone for anything. I have even refused to spoil myself with the 24 hour broom and have it stored and just walk or run everywhere. I buy my own stuff, I have a job walking my neighbors dogs that I get paid weekly from and that's my money to put toward the game. Plus, just looking around gives me a chance to really decide what I want for a mount.

Survivor
May 25, 2012
I can't count how many times have heard gift me! On this topic I would like people (Pets too lol) to say their most common lines of being begged for crowns from a begger. Example:
Begger: Hey, Benjamin? Do you have crowns?
Me: Some. Why?
Begger: Can you gift me? Plz? I have done so much for you!
Me: Like what?
Begger: Messaged you.
Me: I get messaged all the time!
Begger: Not by me!
(I switch realms quickly)

Can't wait to see what comes up in this topic!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Ambrose Cain on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
Me, I don't expect anyone to gift me anything. Yes, I may comment on their mount or a pet or something, perhaps ask where they got it and if its still available. I might even say and have said, I need to get a permanent mount, but I've not asked anyone for anything. I have even refused to spoil myself with the 24 hour broom and have it stored and just walk or run everywhere. I buy my own stuff, I have a job walking my neighbors dogs that I get paid weekly from and that's my money to put toward the game. Plus, just looking around gives me a chance to really decide what I want for a mount.
Kids and teen players everywhere, listen up: this young wizard is what you should all aspire to.

I do the same as you~ if I see someone with a mount/pet/gear I've never seen before, I will ask where s/he got it or if it's still around. There are so many bundles available to American players that I can't get, so it's worth finding out if I can even get the item before I hobble all the way to Gamestop or Walmart on my crutches.

Saying "I need to get X" implies that you are planning to get one for yourself, not that you expect the other person to hand it to you. And I applaud you for working to earn your own money~ keep up the good work! Dr. Von is pleased with you!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
candle2011 on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
I can't count how many times have heard gift me! On this topic I would like people (Pets too lol) to say their most common lines of being begged for crowns from a begger. Example:
Begger: Hey, Benjamin? Do you have crowns?
Me: Some. Why?
Begger: Can you gift me? Plz? I have done so much for you!
Me: Like what?
Begger: Messaged you.
Me: I get messaged all the time!
Begger: Not by me!
(I switch realms quickly)

Can't wait to see what comes up in this topic!
Short and sweet, no matter how many crowns I actually have:
Begger: Do you have crowns?
Me: Not anymore, no. (I don't just say no because I have mounts, etc.)

end of story.

Survivor
Dec 06, 2011
I have to say this has got to be the most annoying thing about playing this game. All the time:

friend request > can you gift me a pack > refusal > obnoxious comment

happens to my daughter all the time too. The people who do this (the most recent for me was about 15 minutes ago, Hunter RavenBlade, who then unfriended and ran away like a coward) are among some of the most rude and ignorant people in existence.

I'm forty years old and I get some kid giving me attitude because I won't spend my real life money on some brat I don't even know. Did their parents never teach these scroungers any manners at all?

There should be a specific button for reporting this exact behaviour. A one day ban should be the immediate consequence of being caught begging. At the very least there should be a Hall of Shame so that players can avoid such people.

KingsIsle you really must do something about this problem. In some countries begging is illegal and this is the exact same behaviour online. Followed by insults to young children for not gifting.
This behaviour is ruining a good game; if my own sentiment is anything to go by, members will leave if it continues.

For information, I will remove anyone who asks me to gift them anything; my daughter will do the same. And anyone found hassling her will be reported every single time until they stop or get a permanent ban, whichever comes first. Just so you know.

I gift who I choose to gift, not some scrounging insolent inadequate who thinks it's ok to insult people for not giving them things they're too mean to pay for themselves.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have had a lot of run in with beggars. This has to be my most memorable. The person was on my friend list.

Beggar: Hannah, guess what?
Me: what?
Beggar: I just got 70,000 crowns.
Me: wow, that is nice.
Beggar: can you gift me a pack?
Me: but you just said you have 70,000 crowns
Beggar: I won't get them until tomorrow. If you gift me pack, I will gift you back tomorrow.
Me: congrats, you just earned a spot on my ignore list. A gravestone will be placed at my house in your honor.

Clicked ignore...problem solved.

Survivor
May 10, 2011
I spent a few bucks on a pack and used the crowns that came with it to open a few nightmares and now whenever I go around in my cloudstrider * Gift me now you selfish whatever* or casually * Hey can I have a mega snack pack?* No. I am not giving you crowns because I dont have any and even if I did its my money and I am not just gonna throw it around at people.

Survivor
May 25, 2012
Oops! I meant to post this in The Commons instead of the dorms. Sorry about the confusion. It will open back up in The Commons called the same thing. This post isn't active anymore, so I won't respond to anything posted on this topic. Please visit The Commons version if you want to say anything.

Thanks for the understanding!

Explorer
May 17, 2010
Hannah Lifebringer on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:
I have had a lot of run in with beggars. This has to be my most memorable. The person was on my friend list.

Beggar: Hannah, guess what?
Me: what?
Beggar: I just got 70,000 crowns.
Me: wow, that is nice.
Beggar: can you gift me a pack?
Me: but you just said you have 70,000 crowns
Beggar: I won't get them until tomorrow. If you gift me pack, I will gift you back tomorrow.
Me: congrats, you just earned a spot on my ignore list. A gravestone will be placed at my house in your honor.

Clicked ignore...problem solved.
Hannah,
I love it. If I did that I would have a whole cemetary.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I4C gr8ness on Nov 8, 2013 wrote:
Hannah,
I love it. If I did that I would have a whole cemetary.
I do have a very large cemetery in one of my houses. I think at last count it was at 32 graves, but that is a tally from all 6 wizards on my account.