Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

numbers in chat

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 25, 2008
5
i find it annoying when a friend ask what lvl i am i cant say it
same when i am on a quest where i need like 8 rats i get 5 and thay ask how many more left i got to say I I I more for them to get it
i dont know about you but its annoying


also i have played games like this before ToonTown is one
i also played R.O.S.E i like the way the chat is on that where it only blocks bad words i have yet to see a problem with any name calling on that
:-D

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
193
Gogetters wrote:
i find it annoying when a friend ask what lvl i am i cant say it
same when i am on a quest where i need like 8 rats i get 5 and thay ask how many more left i got to say I I I more for them to get it
i dont know about you but its annoying


also i have played games like this before ToonTown is one
i also played R.O.S.E i like the way the chat is on that where it only blocks bad words i have yet to see a problem with any name calling on that
:-D


Assuming that this is to keep people from passing phone numbers, perhaps they could allow like 3 digits or something?

Administrator
You can easily state your level in game, along with your health and mana levels by using the menu chat.

Click the menu chat button in the upper left corner of your screen.

Select Friendly -> Stats -> I am level ___

It's quick and easy, try it!



community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Sep 25, 2008
5
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
You can easily state your level in game, along with your health and mana levels by using the menu chat.

Click the menu chat button in the upper left corner of your screen.

Select Friendly -> Stats -> I am level ___

It's quick and easy, try it!

yes but you cant say it when your in a battle :p

Survivor
Sep 25, 2008
13
more often than not, the 'i am level ___' doesnt work. i dont know if theres a trick to it, but im lvl25 and it says 11 most of the time, or 12.

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
61
I'm quite annoyed at how numbers aren't allowed in chat. I go to tell someone my level, or what a card does and it doesn't allow me. I think it would be cool if there was a way in battle to say what your cards do. I don't know if I may be missing it but a way to talk about your level out of battle would be nice.

Administrator
Hello. The reason we do not allow numbers to be said is to ensure that Wizard101 is safe for children of all ages. While an adult might not exchange a phone number a child might or it could happen the other way around. But we would rather be safe. As you stated, you can share your level with players by using quick chat. Also when you click on a player you can look into their character to see more information about them, including their level.

I hope this helps!

Community Leader
Clever wizards can get around this restriction. It is very frustrating when someone asks, how many floors are in this tower? Or, how long will this instance take? And you can't tell them.. Or trying to set a time to meet up to do a really tough instance crawl, like Kensington.

Maybe adults just shouldn't play a children's game. But it's just so much FUN!

Survivor
Nov 04, 2008
2
I understand that you want to keep the game safe for everyone, I highly respect that. As a matter of fact, I find it irritating how some people let their children play some violent games and expect everyone to be child friendly on these extremely violent games. Your game however, comes right out and tells you exactly where it stands; I appreciate this, and I support it.

I am 23 years old, I enjoy your game and I even have a subscription. I find it very difficult to communicate strategy or even something as simple as time without the use of numbers.

It is hard to say, "I have 15 minutes left, then I have to go cook dinner." This is an actual scenario that I was in earlier. Instead I had to work around it and say, "I have a quarter hour left, then I must cook dinner."

It would be acceptable to be able to spell out the numbers. Like "Fifteen Minutes.", or even use Roman Numerals, so I can say "XV Minutes.". But Please... PLEASE, PLEASE give us something.

I hate having to say "I have won mana left." when we are in a battle. or "I'll be back in too minutes.", or "I'll be back in for plus won minutes.". Those phrases really don't make any sense, it confuses people, and is very inconvenient.

So again, I beg you. Please give us some way to have numbers.

Thanks for your time.

bwonderve wrote:
I understand that you want to keep the game safe for everyone, I highly respect that. As a matter of fact, I find it irritating how some people let their children play some violent games and expect everyone to be child friendly on these extremely violent games. Your game however, comes right out and tells you exactly where it stands; I appreciate this, and I support it.

I am 23 years old, I enjoy your game and I even have a subscription. I find it very difficult to communicate strategy or even something as simple as time without the use of numbers.

It is hard to say, "I have 15 minutes left, then I have to go cook dinner." This is an actual scenario that I was in earlier. Instead I had to work around it and say, "I have a quarter hour left, then I must cook dinner."

It would be acceptable to be able to spell out the numbers. Like "Fifteen Minutes.", or even use Roman Numerals, so I can say "XV Minutes.". But Please... PLEASE, PLEASE give us something.

I hate having to say "I have won mana left." when we are in a battle. or "I'll be back in too minutes.", or "I'll be back in for plus won minutes.". Those phrases really don't make any sense, it confuses people, and is very inconvenient.

So again, I beg you. Please give us some way to have numbers.

Thanks for your time.



Thank you for your feedback!

To address your concern, please understand that we are constantly discussing options for how to foster communication in the game -- second only to our golden rule, which is to maintain the safety of our environment for our younger players.

As we watch the service over time, we will continue to make decisions to "ease up" on the chat restrictions when we feel comfortable doing so. For example, a few weeks back we decided to open up the filtered chat for trial players over 13... communication fosters socializing, and that is the glue that ties a virtual world community together. We understand that, and it's extremely important to us (second, as I said, only to player safety.)

Our philosophy as a company was to start the game (at launch) heavily filtered and moderated and slowly ease up on the flexibility as we felt more and more comfortable. We felt like this was a a safer strategy than going the other direction, because 1) if we make a mistake, we make it on the conservative side, erring on the side of safety and 2) as they say, it is easier to give than to take away. I still believe that this thinking holds true.

I know this can be trying, there is always a balance between security measure that are necessary to stop bad behavior and creating hurdles that can be irritating for players who would never think to abuse the system in the first place. This is a very hard line to discern, and we will not always find the "perfect solution" immediately. We are simply doing the best we can to foster communication while holding a firm line on child safety.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. I promise you that this issue is not closed, and we will continue to refine and improve our chat capabilities as the service continues to grow.

Hope that helps!


Survivor
Nov 04, 2008
2
Glad that my question was addressed.

I promise you that this issue is not closed...
I'll hold you to that! :-)

I can understand how numbers can potentially be used for malicious purposes, all it takes is an active imagination. I can also appreciate your decision to play it on the safe side and ease up on the filter slowly.

So, no major pressure, while its a little inconvenient, I would rather the integrity of the game remain safe. Because if the game remains safe, more parents will get subscriptions for their kids, and that means a better game for all of us!

I am brimming with ideas on how to maintain a secure chat, while allowing the use of numbers. I would rather suggest them privately over an email. If your team would harbor suggestions from myself, I would be happy to give them.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2008
12
Well i agree with bwonderve has said.. but also with the Headmaster has said..

I feel the real concern about not allowing numbers in the game is the use of PHONE NUMBERS... isn't there a way to filter out just the use of 10digit length so no one can say it..

I mean normally when we chat we only say like 10 or 15 or 4 or something involved with dueling or time restraints.. like when i wanna go afk i hafta to say. "i'll brb in fifth minutes." lol no offense but thats kind of weird and annoying at the same time..

Just maybe loosen the filter so we can only say maybe 3 numbers at a time.. it would make everything SO much EASIER..

Just a thought..


Survivor
Oct 14, 2008
24
Woah... I was just about to make a thread about this when I saw this one! Lol... but anyway, I think we also need to add normal speech (With menu chat) to battles. There is no way to say "I have 23/1259 Heath left" in a battle when need be. But anyway Professor Ambrose (Or whoever's hiding behind him!) I like your philosophy. I'd much rather not have it that have it and then it be taken away.

Explorer
Oct 16, 2008
61
Actually this isn't for tele numbers as far as I can guess, but more it has to do with age. I don't know if you all know what A/S/L stands for but it is age gender and location, which predators want to gather. Myself I'm 19 and would love to be able to use numbers, but wouldn't want the vulnerability caused by them.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2008
19
Headmaster Ambrose, PLEASE DO NOT ADD NUMBERS! I understand the frustration of some members, myself included on having to cleverly use other words to make up numbers and time, but we are adults and can do that. A child that is being preyed on by predators can also have a safty blanket by preventing address, age, email and telephone numbers from being given out. There are some kids playing who do not have filtered chat and having numbers added to the game would make a predator's job easier to prey on our innocent kids. We must not forget who this game was designed for and why. It was designed for kids with an objective on child safty first. I love my grand-kids playing because Wizard 101 has this safty feature unlike any other game online. We adults must sacrifice our convenience for the safty of the young innocent children. I do it and I don't mind the sacrifice.

Explorer
Jun 21, 2008
61
I think numbers can be introduced in the game if it is presented in a strict controlled format. For example, when you have to fight 8 enemies and you fight 1 of 8, the message pops up on the screen that you have fought 1 of 8 enemies. It would be nice if this could be added to chat as well. I have had times when people ask how many enemies I have left to fight or vice versa and must find other ways to let them know how many. If it is a non-filter chat person, this is extremely hard to do as you keep asking what quest they are on or ready to go. So if all is in a controlled format such as the example, they will continue to hold the values of the game while allowing the easy communication of battle related chat.

Survivor
May 11, 2009
8
I understand why there is a chat filter in place and I have zero complaints about it, even if at times i have to figure out how to re-type things to find words it will accept, lol.

I have one question though: Why is it that we can't type OR spell out numbers in chat? Why are they blocked by the chat filter?

I was trying to have a discussion with someone about card combinations in the different types of decks and it was nearly impossible without being able to type "20" OR "twenty" etc.

I was playing around with it afterwards and sure enough, no numbers allowed. Why is this?

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
5
Simpliest answer is to protect children from predators. Because you cannot say things like daughter either, I assume the the filter on numbers is to make it harder for predators to find out your ages and such.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
13
This is a case where the 'few' ruin it for 'everyone else'.

I am not sure if it is a protection for kids not to give out their phone numbers or other private information, or if it is a way to get the whole 'true friend' thing, which I don't even know what it is, but I guess it is a combination of numbers and letters which people were somehow abusing.

In any case, it is extreamly annoying, and in my opinion it is a major problem with people new to the game just trying it out. There is already a parental setting for kids to chat, why do those of us who are adults, or our children are old enough not to give people their private information have to suffer and be limited to this overly strict and quite frustrating and rediculas system?

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
16
I always assumed that the numbers were added to the filter to prevent "1337-speak" more than anything else.

Even a vague familiarity with it is enough for any Internet geek to say some fairly uncouth things without ever typing a single letter.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
33
BUnzaga wrote:
This is a case where the 'few' ruin it for 'everyone else'.

I am not sure if it is a protection for kids not to give out their phone numbers or other private information, or if it is a way to get the whole 'true friend' thing, which I don't even know what it is, but I guess it is a combination of numbers and letters which people were somehow abusing.

In any case, it is extreamly annoying, and in my opinion it is a major problem with people new to the game just trying it out. There is already a parental setting for kids to chat, why do those of us who are adults, or our children are old enough not to give people their private information have to suffer and be limited to this overly strict and quite frustrating and rediculas system?


I wholeheartedly agree, what is the point of even having a children's filter when you can't say anything harmful to begin with? I'd like to be able to write things like "I tried that three times" etc etc...

Survivor
Feb 11, 2009
4
I agree, we need to be able to say numbers! I sommoned the balance minion and a death student asks how to get minions I tell him and he asks what level and it censors it.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
6
I don't mind the filter so much since I know that it is protecting my kid from giving out information like addresses and phone numbers, although, he is smart enough to get around it.

Where I have a problem is when I am on a quest and you have to get something like 6 cans of dog food and battling the 6 dog food givers is not going to necessarily give you the 6 cans so you need to tell the person that you are questing with that you still need 5 cans of dog food. I wish that this issue could be addressed, even if it was to add to the menu chat something like I need 5 out of 6 dog food cans still.

Administrator
While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

We have excluded numbers from the chat system to ensure that children who don't know better cannot easily exchange private information.

As for stating your current level, health and mana, the Menu Chat system has these pre-formed statements under the Friendly -> Stats section.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Apr 12, 2010
8
In battle when someone is helping me i ask how much pips it takes to cast a healing spell if im killed. All that pops up is . . . .Sometimes people ask me that and i have to say (for example if a spell costs eight pips i would have to say fourth plus fourth). I could not just say 8. If a kingsile person reads this i would like him/her to change that. What do you think. Should we be able to type numbers in text chat . (This does not really affect people without text chat)

CaleBattleCaller: magus pryromancer

1