Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New world = tougher bosses??

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 11, 2012
Since the update for Polaris came out and the level cap increased to 110 players had no challenge to defeat the minions and the bosses. The only boss that took a bit of time and strategy was the Rat aka Rasputin. As mention by old cob at the end of khrysalis part 2 that the new worlds might be Polaris Mirage or Empyrea. My opinion is that mirage or Empyrea which ever comes out should have more stronger bosses and maybe bit longer of a story line. Also the last boss could have more health of maybe even a million since it is possible. This could give maxed out players more of a challenge. Also maybe the level cap could increase to maybe more then by only 10 levels because the experience is so high. The level cap could go up to maybe 125 or 130. Good luck KingsIsIe, we all await your new worlds and spells!

Daniel WaterSlinger - level 110
Daniel StormCaster - level 96
Jack Frost - level 69
Daniel TitanPyre - level 47

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Tougher is a subjective term.

This is a game that is supposed to be geared towards a multitude of demographics. Not everybody is going to agree with your idea of a tougher challenge for content that could possibly prevent them from advancing. That's why skeleton key bosses and side dungeons like Waterworks and Darkmoor are added, so that mandatory content required to advance is doable by the largest group possible. The people who want a tougher challenge can take part in the optional content.

Not everybody who makes it to the end of Polaris is "maxed" out. They may be max level, and they may even have max spells, but that doesn't mean they have the max gear, or the max team. Creating an end boss that only certain players are going to be able to defeat stops a whole group of players dead in their tracks. They cannot advance. If they cannot advance, will they still play? If they stop playing, they stop paying.

Not everybody is going to appreciate grinding through hundreds of arbitrary battles created only with the intent of extending the time required to complete worlds. Some people have enough free time to finish even the longest worlds in less than a week. Simply making worlds "longer" to try and keep them busy has already failed, and only created discord with players who don't have that kind of time on their hands. Hence the change in Polaris.

I do agree with the level cap though, and it's something many have been clamouring for for a long time now. One world update that comes with a one time 20 level cap increase instead of the standard 10 is all we need.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Exalted skyfall970 on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
Since the update for Polaris came out and the level cap increased to 110 players had no challenge to defeat the minions and the bosses. The only boss that took a bit of time and strategy was the Rat aka Rasputin. As mention by old cob at the end of khrysalis part 2 that the new worlds might be Polaris Mirage or Empyrea. My opinion is that mirage or Empyrea which ever comes out should have more stronger bosses and maybe bit longer of a story line. Also the last boss could have more health of maybe even a million since it is possible. This could give maxed out players more of a challenge. Also maybe the level cap could increase to maybe more then by only 10 levels because the experience is so high. The level cap could go up to maybe 125 or 130. Good luck KingsIsIe, we all await your new worlds and spells!

Jack Frost - level 69
Definitely not.

There's enough 'challenge' in the game to keep your type occupied.

There's too much challenge in the game to keep regular players coming back. The game is supposed to be fun and magical, not challenging, grindy, and extremely boring from farming a boss/dungeon over 1000 times just to get a piece of gear.

Challenge is what you make of the game. Try unloading some of your 'top' gear. Go without a good pet. Don't use wands, etc etc. When friends and I want a fun challenge, we take our high(er) levels to fight the Dragonspyre Malistaire and fight him nekked (naked). Nekked, meaning NO gear at all (you're in your Wizard City nooby clothing), NO pets, NO wands, and you're only allowed up to 4-pip spells. It's challenging and it's fun.

To raise the level of challenges in the game to accommodate a needy few just doesn't cut the cake. The game needs to cater to the majority, and the majority are regular players that just want to have fun.

Hero
May 07, 2015
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
Definitely not.

There's enough 'challenge' in the game to keep your type occupied.

There's too much challenge in the game to keep regular players coming back. The game is supposed to be fun and magical, not challenging, grindy, and extremely boring from farming a boss/dungeon over 1000 times just to get a piece of gear.

Challenge is what you make of the game. Try unloading some of your 'top' gear. Go without a good pet. Don't use wands, etc etc. When friends and I want a fun challenge, we take our high(er) levels to fight the Dragonspyre Malistaire and fight him nekked (naked). Nekked, meaning NO gear at all (you're in your Wizard City nooby clothing), NO pets, NO wands, and you're only allowed up to 4-pip spells. It's challenging and it's fun.

To raise the level of challenges in the game to accommodate a needy few just doesn't cut the cake. The game needs to cater to the majority, and the majority are regular players that just want to have fun.
right

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
High Five Ghost on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:

This is a game that is supposed to be geared towards a multitude of demographics. Not everybody is going to agree with your idea of a tougher challenge for content that could possibly prevent them from advancing. That's why skeleton key bosses and side dungeons like Waterworks and Darkmoor are added, so that mandatory content required to advance is doable by the largest group possible. The people who want a tougher challenge can take part in the optional content.

Not everybody who makes it to the end of Polaris is "maxed" out. They may be max level, and they may even have max spells, but that doesn't mean they have the max gear, or the max team. Creating an end boss that only certain players are going to be able to defeat stops a whole group of players dead in their tracks. They cannot advance. If they cannot advance, will they still play? If they stop playing, they stop paying.

Not everybody is going to appreciate grinding through hundreds of arbitrary battles created only with the intent of extending the time required to complete worlds. Some people have enough free time to finish even the longest worlds in less than a week. Simply making worlds "longer" to try and keep them busy has already failed, and only created discord with players who don't have that kind of time on their hands. Hence the change in Polaris.

I do agree with the level cap though, and it's something many have been clamouring for for a long time now. One world update that comes with a one time 20 level cap increase instead of the standard 10 is all we need.
Once again, the idea of scaling solves this. Before you fight a boss, you have the option to make it harder - but not easier. Once you beat the boss, you can make it harder AND easier.

Now that I think about it, the only way making a boss easier before you fight the boss would work is if you could only make it easier by one rank or whatever, and you'd have to beat the boss for the other ranks.

This way, if a boss is too easy for you, you can make it harder and more fun for you.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2015
Lol, but obviously it may not be tougher, especially for a level 110 storm to just speed run the next world, which might just be mirage or something. Who knows? That's why I see BlazeLifeHammer doing all the time, going on his max storm just to see the final bosses and to speed run right through it.
Level 110
Level 98
Level 76

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
DDM7777 on Apr 16, 2016 wrote:
Lol, but obviously it may not be tougher, especially for a level 110 storm to just speed run the next world, which might just be mirage or something. Who knows? That's why I see BlazeLifeHammer doing all the time, going on his max storm just to see the final bosses and to speed run right through it.
Level 110
Level 98
Level 76
You can't really speed run through anything

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
High Five Ghost on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:

Why do you disagree with buffing Darkmoor if you say that side content was made for a challenge?

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I imagine that it will be longer, that's just my guess. In my opinion also,the boss fights can vary from moderate to difficult, but the mob fights should be easy. I mean after all we are going to be part of the Arcanum. We should be able to dispatch of some random punks in the street fairly easily. I also agree that if you want something more difficult you can challenge yourself to some extent. (don't use pets or whatever). Although I was surprised there are some young players that do make it to the later worlds. I've been in Polaris and Khrysalis and had Menu Chat people join me for a couple of quests. KI can only make content so fast. Don't try and speed run through everything if you don't have too.

Explorer
Oct 12, 2012
Exalted skyfall970 on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:

Jack Frost - level 69
The only thing about new worlds that looks to me that might be tougher are the bosses near the end and at the end Polaris and i think khrysalis is an example for that. Imo

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
I'm one of those people who is max level but is not "maxed out." I do not have access to an amazing team whenever I snap my fingers and do not have the top of the line gear because I just do not have the inclination to fight obnoxious cheaty bosses a zillion times for a slight chance of getting a good piece of gear. I'm here because I like to enjoy a fun magical and relaxing game. At this point I am questioning whether or not I will be able to continue forward in the game as new content is added because of the requirement of beating the rat. Some might think it sounds silly to quit the game over one boss, but if you just cannot beat that boss and beating it is a requiremnt in continuing on with the main storyline then what's there to do? I sincerely hope they rethink making exeedingly specialized cheaty bosses requireing a team of wizards who can work flawlessly together requirments to continue questing and leave that stuff for side content. That way the more hard core set can get their kicks and those of us who are more casual can also enjoy the game. It's supposed to be a family friendly game geared toward a younger audience so I don't see why it would need to be so crazy difficult.

Obviously each world that comes out has stronger creatures than the last which is to be expected, but I really do not want some insane ramp up in difficulty and do not want bosses like the rat scattered around left and right in the main content.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Adam Wintersinger on Jun 1, 2016 wrote:
Why do you disagree with buffing Darkmoor if you say that side content was made for a challenge?
You confuse my words. I've tried to explain the possible reason why it was nerfed.

What none of us have access to is something KI does. That's usage.

What we have access to is concerns people express publicly.

I'm not saying I'm right, but KI has probably investigated things such as; 1) What are people saying about Darkmoor? 2) How many people that are high enough level to play Darkmoor are actually playing it? 3) How many people have even tried? 4) How does that compare to Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, and Tartarus a year after they were released?

You have your own perspective based on your experience. KI has to look at everybody. For example, I did Waterworks when it first came out. I also did Tower of the Helephant as well. I've only done Tartarus a couple of times, and have never done a Darkmoor run. Darkmoor has been out for over a year, Aquila over 2 years. I've been high enough level to do those dungeons for a long, long time.

KI probably examines how many other players there are like me and compares it to how many other players there are like you. Any nerf was likely done to encourage people who they see have abandoned these kinds of challenges to maybe give them a try.

I personally don't care if they buff Darkmoor. I'm probably never going to do it. So for all I care they can make Malistaire interrupt with 3 Rebirths that each heal 1,000,000 HP and add a 1,000,000 Spirit Armor, followed up by 3 Shatters, and 3 -100% Black Mantles every time someone casts a spell if that'll make you happy. It's going to drive more people away from it, but that's the point, right?

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
High Five Ghost on Jun 2, 2016 wrote:
You confuse my words. I've tried to explain the possible reason why it was nerfed.

What none of us have access to is something KI does. That's usage.

What we have access to is concerns people express publicly.

I'm not saying I'm right, but KI has probably investigated things such as; 1) What are people saying about Darkmoor? 2) How many people that are high enough level to play Darkmoor are actually playing it? 3) How many people have even tried? 4) How does that compare to Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, and Tartarus a year after they were released?

You have your own perspective based on your experience. KI has to look at everybody. For example, I did Waterworks when it first came out. I also did Tower of the Helephant as well. I've only done Tartarus a couple of times, and have never done a Darkmoor run. Darkmoor has been out for over a year, Aquila over 2 years. I've been high enough level to do those dungeons for a long, long time.

KI probably examines how many other players there are like me and compares it to how many other players there are like you. Any nerf was likely done to encourage people who they see have abandoned these kinds of challenges to maybe give them a try.

I personally don't care if they buff Darkmoor. I'm probably never going to do it. So for all I care they can make Malistaire interrupt with 3 Rebirths that each heal 1,000,000 HP and add a 1,000,000 Spirit Armor, followed up by 3 Shatters, and 3 -100% Black Mantles every time someone casts a spell if that'll make you happy. It's going to drive more people away from it, but that's the point, right?
Then why nerf it to the point where the main content bosses such as Rasputin are harder than side content bosses such as Malistaire? Of course, their difficulty is all opinion based but when Rasputin first came out, most people were saying that he was way harder than Malistaire. And not to mention, Malistaire has 4 of the best gear items in the game while Rasputin only has 2.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
People saying that the mainline story bosses are too hard are the people who have farmed the heck out of them with a team and have the battle memorized. Not everyone has the luxury of a well tuned team. Team up is a great alternative to the old days of waiting around trying to get some team to let you join. When the storyline content gets too hard, people get frustrated and quit. My guess to the reason for past debuffs is that user numbers fall after initial players get through in the first months after a release. Teams get harder to find and end bosses are hard for all but most extreme players to solo. I'm stuck at Rasputin on several wizards because I have soloed everything up to it and can't ever find a team.

Survivor
May 10, 2012
You don't need to make the next world harder, or longer, just make it more enjoyable. I don't want to sit there and keep crossing a battlefield just to talk to people back and forth. Also make the bosses AI much higher than that of normal enemies, this way once I win I can feel like I actually accomplished something, instead of being able to say "well I knew that was going to happen". I do however agree with increasing the cap by more than 10 increase it by 20 or 25 I want to know what it feels like to have a bosses life, I look forward to eventually seeing ice capable of having 12,500 in life and having 80% all resist with normal ice gear.(pet not included in factoring resist)

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Nobody wants a challenge. Nobody wants to play the game. We want to solo-wand-hit-kill and have all the best gear in the game on the first try.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Gaara1369 on Jun 4, 2016 wrote:
You don't need to make the next world harder, or longer, just make it more enjoyable. I don't want to sit there and keep crossing a battlefield just to talk to people back and forth. Also make the bosses AI much higher than that of normal enemies, this way once I win I can feel like I actually accomplished something, instead of being able to say "well I knew that was going to happen". I do however agree with increasing the cap by more than 10 increase it by 20 or 25 I want to know what it feels like to have a bosses life, I look forward to eventually seeing ice capable of having 12,500 in life and having 80% all resist with normal ice gear.(pet not included in factoring resist)
Scared of the day ice will get 12.5k health, pvp would be so much worse than it already is

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
PaigeGoldenspear on Jun 5, 2016 wrote:
Nobody wants a challenge. Nobody wants to play the game. We want to solo-wand-hit-kill and have all the best gear in the game on the first try.
It's getting to that point sadly