Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Utility Spells Series

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
So, I know everyone loves the flashy new attack spells that we get at the end of every new world where the level cap is raised. However, I think KI should consider adding some more utility spells like they did with Wintertusk.

Utility spells make battles more interesting and more thought provoking. They help to formulate strategies and make each class feel unique and interesting. Based on reading some ideas throughout the forums I've brought together a list of utility spells that I think would add a nice new dimension to the game.

Btw, any ideas that are similar or exact to the ideas of other posters, all due credit to them, however I won't be looking up all those posts to name everyone.

So anyways, Wintertusk gave us some nice single target utility spells but I think KI should add some utility spells that are more based towards group battles as well, since many battles in the game incorporate more than one enemy.

Storm: Strong Wind (X pip spell where X is the number of charms removed)

Strong wind is a group type of charm cleanse. Basically the spell would cast between 0 to 4 pips and can only affect one charm on each target. The spell would remove the last placed charm on each opponent and if 4 charms were removed it would give the storm player a 50% universal blade.

One of the unique qualities of storm is it's ability to remove charms from opponents. However, you don't really see this utility ability in any of storms other spells until the storm player learns Leviathan and Sirens. I think this would give a storm player some added group utility against multiple opponents other than just being the hard hitter.

The spell itself has many situations that could make it useful but it's secondary effect to grant the storm player a strong blade if 4 charms are removed, gives the player added incentive to use the spell strategically.

Ice: Frozen Guardian (aura spell)

Frozen guardian would place a 4 turn aura on the ice wizard. All attacks made to any wizard other than the ice wizard would have their damage cut in half and they would be redirected to the ice wizard. After each redirected attack the ice wizard receives a tower shield. If an attack is launched against the ice wizard they receive the full damage but gain a 70% universal shield after the attack.

I've read tons of forum posts about people wanting the ice wizard to gain a more defensive tanking ability for their group battles with allies. This spell would give ice wizards a way to control damage to their teammates while still having to be aware of their own health and ability to survive. Since the spell would last for 4 turns the ice wizard would have to factor in how they would mitigate all the damage.

For single target attacks against the ice wizards teammates, the attack would progress as normal but when the damage would be calculated instead a blue icy veil would appear in front of the ally target for a moment and then it would redirect the camera to the ice wizard who would receive half the damage and gain their tower shield. For attack all spells, the attack would progress normally with the icy blue veil appearing in front of each ally as the spell progressed, when it hit the ice wizard they would receive their 70% universal shield and after all the attacks are done the ice wizard would receive all the redirected damage as a single hit gaining only one tower shield after instead of 3.

For solo battles it would give the ice player some nice defensive abilities and in pvp it would force the ice player and the opponent to more strategically place their attacks in order to prevent from increasing the ice wizards defense.

Myth: Puppet Show ( X pip spell where X is the number of empty player circles)

Puppet show summons 3 puppet minions each with a different colored hat. (red, yellow, green) All 3 puppets only target the caster or the enemy target with the most pips when summoned. They would always appear in the same order, with the red puppet right next to the caster, the yellow puppet next to that one, and the green puppet third. All puppets would have the same health as the normal puppet minion that myth summons. The red minion only casts myth blades on the summoner, or myth traps on the enemy target. The yellow minion only casts cleanse ward on the summoner, or pierce on the enemy target. The green minion only casts sprite or fairy on the summoner.

Many myth players on the forums have wanted a multiple puppet summon, and this would add more dimension to the idea and create a unique way for myth to gain support when soloing. The puppets would always summon in the same spots so if a spot was filled that minion would not be summoned and the spell would not cost a pip for that puppet.

For pve battles this would allow the myth player to gain a lot of support benefits without being too overpowered. In terms of pvp all the puppets would have very low health so they could easily be removed with a weak hit all spell from any of the schools, or a wand hit for each puppet. It would also add a bit of strategy since if the player did choose to attack the puppets individually they would need to choose which puppet would be the most beneficial to remove first since each puppet provides unique benefits.

The reason the puppets should be unique is because the original puppet minion should stand on it's own as the 0 pip attack each turn minion that he/she is. After puppet show has been cast if the player summons another minion it would replace the first puppet (red puppet) every time and if puppet show was cast again it's pip cost and puppets summoned would correspond with the open spaces so it would do nothing if all the spots were filled.

Fire: Trick Flame (X pip spell where X is the number of charms affected)

Trick flame would be a multiple opponent type of steal charm. When the spell is cast it would cost between 0 to 4 pips based on the number of charms it affects. It can only affect one charm per target and it would steal the last charm placed on the target. If any blades are stolen they are changed into 20% fire blades on the caster.

This spell would allow a fire wizard to better manipulate a group battle by weakening opponents and gaining the benefits of their charms for themselves. Charms that affect things like healing would remain the same but any stolen blades would be changed to fire blades which would give the caster up to 4 attacks with added damage thanks to the 20% fire blades.

For pve this could help fire wizards gain that extra strength by stealing it from their opponents. In pvp this adds a benefit to strategically placing your charms. It would also give fire a little boost to their spells since traps are rarely able to be as beneficial with their dots.

I loved stealing my first charm with my fire wizard, and although that spell kept a permanent place in my deck, I was disappointed not to see any other fire spells that added onto this unique fire skill. I think KI should try to focus a bit more on the special skills that are unique to each type of wizard and stealing blades would definitely be a fire skill.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Dalicon wrote:
So, I know everyone loves the flashy new attack spells that we get at the end of every new world where the level cap is raised. However, I think KI should consider adding some more utility spells like they did with Wintertusk.

Utility spells make battles more interesting and more thought provoking. They help to formulate strategies and make each class feel unique and interesting. Based on reading some ideas throughout the forums I've brought together a list of utility spells that I think would add a nice new dimension to the game.

Btw, any ideas that are similar or exact to the ideas of other posters, all due credit to them, however I won't be looking up all those posts to name everyone.

So anyways, Wintertusk gave us some nice single target utility spells but I think KI should add some utility spells that are more based towards group battles as well, since many battles in the game incorporate more than one enemy.

I'll be posting each utility spell idea in it's own post to prevent clumping.

Couldn't you have posted it all in one thread? lol :-)

Defender
Mar 11, 2010
So why didn't you merge all your posts in one? The "clumping" is you posting the topics in each of their own threads.