Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Moon School: Polymorph Scaling

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 16, 2009
So we all know that polymorphs are in a bad spot right now. They leave you vulnerable, they can't be used at anytime you want since they change a lot about your wizard, and they become very difficult to use about 1 world after the world you gain them in. (i.e. After Zafaria & After Azteca)

Polymorph Scaling:

What I propose, is that the Polymorph Monsters' statistics scale with your wizard's world progress. What this means is that the stats you gain are equal to a mid-rank monster for the highest world you currently have unlocked. This could allow for the Polymorphs to gain new spells as you progress in the game, the ability to get shadow pips when your wizard gains the ability, stat increases as you progress, etc. It keeps them consistent with the level you're trying to play at when using Polymorphs, and since they should be equal to a mid-rank monster for the world you're in, it would make them useful for difficulties you may encounter early on in the world, while remaining useful until you start to face enemies above that level.

Possible Questions:
> What do I mean by Mid-Tier Enemies?
Let's say, you're questing in Mirage. Discounting bosses, because they are special, you have enemies ranked about 14 to 16. The Polymorphs would be scaled so they are equal to a Rank 15 enemy, since they are in the middle.
> Some enemies don't have shadow pips possible, why carry over that ability?
The way I see polymorphs, is that you are gaining the abilities of the creature you are polymorphing into, while retaining knowledge of some of your own capabilities. Plus, letting mobs that wouldn't normally have shadow pips, have shadow pips would open some interesting scaling possibilities that involve shadow-enhanced spells or shadow magic.
> Why not scale them to the highest ranking monster possible for a world?
Well, having a 1-button win card seems fun at first, but it gets boring really quickly. Polymorphs are supposed to be an option to help you win difficult battles, an alternative way to play, or to fill a role that you might need (i.e. Healer). Scaling them to the top ranking monster in the world could make some things trivial.

Please share your thoughts and criticisms.

- Isaac Legend Wielder, Master of Shapes, Level 120

Explorer
Jul 18, 2014
I think the health should be a little higher because you would get defeated a lot in celestia and zafaria. Your health would only be around 1500.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Spark Plasma on Apr 16, 2017 wrote:
So we all know that polymorphs are in a bad spot right now. They leave you vulnerable, they can't be used at anytime you want since they change a lot about your wizard, and they become very difficult to use about 1 world after the world you gain them in. (i.e. After Zafaria & After Azteca)

Polymorph Scaling:

What I propose, is that the Polymorph Monsters' statistics scale with your wizard's world progress. What this means is that the stats you gain are equal to a mid-rank monster for the highest world you currently have unlocked. This could allow for the Polymorphs to gain new spells as you progress in the game, the ability to get shadow pips when your wizard gains the ability, stat increases as you progress, etc. It keeps them consistent with the level you're trying to play at when using Polymorphs, and since they should be equal to a mid-rank monster for the world you're in, it would make them useful for difficulties you may encounter early on in the world, while remaining useful until you start to face enemies above that level.

Possible Questions:
> What do I mean by Mid-Tier Enemies?
Let's say, you're questing in Mirage. Discounting bosses, because they are special, you have enemies ranked about 14 to 16. The Polymorphs would be scaled so they are equal to a Rank 15 enemy, since they are in the middle.
> Some enemies don't have shadow pips possible, why carry over that ability?
The way I see polymorphs, is that you are gaining the abilities of the creature you are polymorphing into, while retaining knowledge of some of your own capabilities. Plus, letting mobs that wouldn't normally have shadow pips, have shadow pips would open some interesting scaling possibilities that involve shadow-enhanced spells or shadow magic.
> Why not scale them to the highest ranking monster possible for a world?
Well, having a 1-button win card seems fun at first, but it gets boring really quickly. Polymorphs are supposed to be an option to help you win difficult battles, an alternative way to play, or to fill a role that you might need (i.e. Healer). Scaling them to the top ranking monster in the world could make some things trivial.

Please share your thoughts and criticisms.

- Isaac Legend Wielder, Master of Shapes, Level 120
This is genius! You are a genius! I love this! The Moon School can be apart of our lives past Celestia!

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Genevieve HexPyre 82+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Avalon)

Defender
May 16, 2009
FluffyMarycorphus on Apr 16, 2017 wrote:
I think the health should be a little higher because you would get defeated a lot in celestia and zafaria. Your health would only be around 1500.
Each Polymorph has its own health value that will have to be looked at, unless you're talking about your wizard, which in that case, unless you're storm, your health is generally around 2000.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
The idea of polymorphs getting stronger as you get stronger is a really nice idea! As of right now, I can't honestly seen the point in spending training points on anything other then Shadow Shrike and the Defense Shadowmorph. Either they need to impliment this growth system or give us more useful polymorphs.

Many of us spend hours, days, weeks, and loads of crowns to get our stats and spells to where we want them. So far no polymorph has stats, or the cards, that can compare to a wizard with one of the best set ups. Plus, the whole polymorphing to cover your weakness thing is very situation. In many ways your better off just packing Tc of your opposite school and hoping for the best; or better yet using prism.

It saddens me to see a magic called the Moon school being so useless. We definitely need to improve it somehow and your idea seems like a fairly good improvement.

Hero
May 02, 2009
As a Moon school expert myself I love this idea. Moon has always been my favorite astral school and a feature like this would be a huge boon to it overall. Great idea.

Defender
May 16, 2009
I'd like to first thank you for the feedback, but is there anything you guys would do to this idea to improve on it?

I also suggested some other changes in another post that might go along with it, here: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/moon-school-miscellaneous-ideas-8ad6a4245b613821015b7523451359b1?page=1