Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Membership Rewards

AuthorMessage
Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Members already get infinite pvp, all the areas in the game, and shortened timers. Do we really need anything more?

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
47
I disagree. A $5 crowns amount per month, when you're paying $10 anyway..? Buy crowns yourself if you want them. It wouldn't make sense for KingsIsle to do this.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
35
A crowns allotment/discount for members is a great suggestion. It boggles my mind why anyone would post against this.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2013
7
Better perks are sorely needed for members,or else members will leave and go elsewhere. Unbelievable that people would actually argue against this.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2013
7
I did some research on this,as Psyrik suggested,and found out that he was correct on what he posted. The other games mentioned,as well as some others that I checked into, do indeed give more benefits to the paying members than what we receive here. A bigger concern for me is not the actual "perks'" themselves,but that if KI doesn't follow suit, people will elsewhere to get more value from their money. I hope KI and the naysayers here will pay attention to that. The evidence does indeed suggest that more "perks" for members equal a healthier game.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
760
DorkusMaxximus on Oct 30, 2013 wrote:
A crowns allotment/discount for members is a great suggestion. It boggles my mind why anyone would post against this.
because it's a bad idea

Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
35
critical blizzard on Nov 2, 2013 wrote:
because it's a bad idea
Please explain how you come to this conclusion that it is a bad idea. I have seen nothing in your posts that can back up such a claim. Honestly, it sounds like you are just making up stuff cause that other guy/girl proved you wrong, and you just don't like it.

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
119
I'm going to agree with critical Blizzard on this one. I AM a paying member but, I disagree with additional perks for members. I disagree because I think KI would lose money that way. Especially if we go with the guy who said 100 crowns every day, with multipliers!!! Intrepidatius, you keep asking blizzard for evidence to support his statement. How about some evidence from you, that doesn't include other games. I'm pretty sure you don't work for these other games so you can't see how this really effects their business. It also seems that everyone who disagrees with your opinion (like me) is automatically wrong. Please respect other people's opinions.

-Morgan Legendheart, level 49 Celestia, The Survey Camp

Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
35
Rainbow0839 on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
I'm going to agree with critical Blizzard on this one. I AM a paying member but, I disagree with additional perks for members. I disagree because I think KI would lose money that way. Especially if we go with the guy who said 100 crowns every day, with multipliers!!! Intrepidatius, you keep asking blizzard for evidence to support his statement. How about some evidence from you, that doesn't include other games. I'm pretty sure you don't work for these other games so you can't see how this really effects their business. It also seems that everyone who disagrees with your opinion (like me) is automatically wrong. Please respect other people's opinions.

-Morgan Legendheart, level 49 Celestia, The Survey Camp
You want evidence that doesn't come from other games?? That makes no sense whatsoever since we are talking about games,but I will be glad to humor you. Look around you. Spas, country clubs,retail stores, restaurants, vacation areas, casinos,the list goes on and on....Memberships have been around because of their huge success for a long time. Everyone of them offers things<perks> that non-members cannot get. if you want the perks,then you pay to be a member.As for your statement about respecting everyones opinions...are you serious or joking? Opinions should never be respected for the sake that they are opinions. They should be respected based on their weight of facts,evidence,etc. Contrary to popular opinion, they are often weak,and simply wrong. Hitler thought the Third Reich,and the extermination of the Jewish people was a good opinion. He was wrong.Pol Pot thought the Khmer Rouge was good in his opinion. He was wrong. History is deluged with bad opinions. A opinion is only worth the evidence,facts,humanity,etc. that back it up. An opinion such as "This is wrong,because it would anger me",is simply not worth the effort to even make a post about. If you want respect,then print something that earns it.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2013
7
I'm not an expert on games,but anyone who does some research<like me> will find out that more membership perks is a boon,not a detriment. I still find it inconceivable people would argue against this. I also have not seen a shred of evidence to support their beliefs to the contrary.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2284
we already get a ton of benefits for being a member. Higher levels, spells, gear, pets, etc. If any new perks come out of it, NONE of it should revolve around crowns - at all. This is a horrible idea because it would just put more power in the hands of those who can afford to spend "money". Perhaps a way to solve this would be to have members have access to things that nonmembers dont; like a new spell that you can only have as long as you are a member. Something totally different from all other spells. This is just an idea, but it gives everybody the same equal footing once you're a member, is a minor boost to the game. I don't mind giving members some extra perks, but it has to be tempered so as not to unbalance the game.

1) As an idea, how about an X-Level spell that does damage based off of your character's level? We've talked about it before. So like a spell in your spellbook that does twice your character level at 0 pips (all schools have the exact same attack power with no after effects). Or maybe a change to wand spells where if you're not a member, it does the normal damage, but if you're a member, it changes to twice your character level in damage.

2) Maybe as a member you can choose a spell, from your primary school, that you can use, that monsters use. So for example, as a fire mage, I become a member, I could choose the monster attack of Firezilla or Natural attack or even Ignite.

3) Another idea would be that any mounts that get dropped from monsters are permanent for members and timed for non members.

4) Another idea would be to give members' spell books spells that come with them. Nothing too crazy, but this would again, enhance the member experience.

5) Maybe give member houses more space (but if you lose your membership, you lose the extra spaces)

these are all off the top of my head but wouldnt unbalance the game.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
I think a lot of people are overlooking the differences in membership vs crowns. Crowns players get permanent benefits of always having access to areas they have bought. Members get the benefit of all-access, but only as long as they pay. I started out using gift cards for crowns to buy new areas because I figured, great I'll always have access, not just 30 days. This quickly faded when I realized that it costs a LOT more in crowns to play for one month. With a membership you can pay $10 and do several worlds in your first month. With crowns you can pay $10 and barely make it into Krokotopia in a weekend.

Crowns make sense for long term players with limited play time available to them. Membership makes sense for players that have large amounts of time available. BOTH make money for KI and offer variety of options for different players lifestyles and schedule demands. The only real benefit that should be changed in my opinion is that members should get a tournament allowance. Allow them a few free entries per month.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
894
This original message has been removed.
I have stated some of the games in this thread several times. As for knowing about the profits,it has been discussed about the success in numerous threads on their official sites,and far beyond.I can not link to any of these,or the post will be sanctioned by KI. This is not some big secret though. A simple google search will probably bring up hundreds of sites/posts referencing the material I have reflected. I have not stated any blind opinions on this matter, that would be the ones who are saying nay.They have not listed anything to reference their opinions. To suggest my listings are opinions.......I suggest you reread this thread.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
While I mostly agree with Chrissy that torture is its own reward (lol), Intrepidatus also makes a very-good point that other games have more tangible perks.

For example, Neopets offers its subscribers a bunch of rewards every month: my friend is a premium member there, and he gets Neopoints (their version of gold) and rare items for free, an increased chance of random events, access to a tool that shows the cheapest items in shops first (so he has an advantage when it comes to sniping/restocking)... the list goes on!

I'm not suggesting that KI go quite that far, as that list of perks is quite extensive and would cost a lot of money. But I'd be okay with a small amount of gold or crowns (50-100) as a reward. As a player who's had subs on 2 accounts for nearly 3 years and invested a lot of her spare money and time, I think it would be a nice way to acknowledge players' long-term commitment to the game.

-von

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
41
AD&D, which stands for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, comes from the original form that Dungeons & Dragons came from. The initial product was the basic set, which came in a box with player and dungeon master instructions, along with the first pre-made module, Keep of the Borderlands. They then came out with a second box set, the expert game, with more advanced rules. When it came time to expand the game more,they had to differentiate it from the previous games, so they had to go with advanced when they started making hardcover books. From then on, they have simply used editions to update the game.

Off-topic? Most likely, although someone else did bring it up. But since people are still arguing over a marketing decision after several months, it is just as useful.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
405
I think that this is a good idea......if they can reward members for the amount of time they've been playing the game(the birthday event)why not reward players that in a way keep the game alive because without Paid subscribers WIZ101 would've been gone a long time ago...but they don't have to shower us with gifts because then they would run out of money so basically just give less then what they get but yes subscribers do deserve more perks.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
10
Some basic points:
  1. As much as it may hurt some people's feelings, subscribers are more valuable to a game company than free-to-play customers who buy crowns are. While both do provide, income, the subscribers offer a more guaranteed income stream regardless of how much they play, whereas there is no way of accurately predicting how often FTP players will log on, or how much money's worth of crowns they will use in a given month. Additionally, subscribers will sometimes keep their subs running even if they completely stop playing for a time, while when FTP player aren't playing, they aren't spending money.
  2. While true that there are more perks than unlimited access to areas included in membership. most if not all of these can be had by FTP members by spending enough of the crowns they choose to use to get access to the game.
  3. I do agree that 2500 crowns is way too much to make financial sense for KI. Either a much smaller amount such as 50-100 crowns per month; or special member only items such as housing items, potions, and treasure cards at specific milestones such as three months, six months, one year, two years, etc. makes more sense.
  4. Rewarding one group of players based on how profitable they are to KI is not penalizing or unfair to players who aren't in that group as long as the same criteria of who gets the rewards is applied evenly across all players. It's just good business sense. Just like everything else in life, the more you put into something, the more you get out of it.

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
119
Wow, getting a little worked up aren't we....
Would anyone else like to remind Intrepidatius that we are playing a game after all and shouldn't need handouts and incentives to make us want to play it. My personal opinion is that it would hurt KI because people would not be buying crowns, just memberships. Then, people wouldn't purchase both. Maybe they wanted something from the crown shop, they would just wait to get it.
The reason I said to respect other people's opinions is because, it seems like you were instantly rejecting other opinions because they weren't yours.
I do buy crowns for henchmen and (because I'm a minor) I get that hard-earned money by babysitting and selling lemonade. It gives me personally an incentive to go do those things so I can enjoy the 'luxuries' of the crowns shop.
-Morgan Legendheart
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do." -Benjamin Franklin
but then again,
"If all printers were determined not to print anything until it offended nobody, there would be very little printed." -Benjamin Franklin

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
894
Rainbow0839 on Nov 18, 2013 wrote:
Wow, getting a little worked up aren't we....
Would anyone else like to remind Intrepidatius that we are playing a game after all and shouldn't need handouts and incentives to make us want to play it. My personal opinion is that it would hurt KI because people would not be buying crowns, just memberships. Then, people wouldn't purchase both. Maybe they wanted something from the crown shop, they would just wait to get it.
The reason I said to respect other people's opinions is because, it seems like you were instantly rejecting other opinions because they weren't yours.
I do buy crowns for henchmen and (because I'm a minor) I get that hard-earned money by babysitting and selling lemonade. It gives me personally an incentive to go do those things so I can enjoy the 'luxuries' of the crowns shop.
-Morgan Legendheart
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do." -Benjamin Franklin
but then again,
"If all printers were determined not to print anything until it offended nobody, there would be very little printed." -Benjamin Franklin
You are certainly entitled to your opinions,but what has been suggested<membership perks> goes well beyond a simple opinion or preference. It is a very old and successful way of doing business in the gaming world,and far beyond. It is used with huge success,and increases profits. According to the vast amount of evidence out there, it would increase crown sales,not decrease them. You are obviously intelligent, but misguided on this issue. Once again, choose not to like it, but your opinions have not the weight of facts/evidence behind them.
I commend you on the use of quotes as I often do,but in this instance the "fool" reference would better suit the ones who offer blind opinions,that cannot be substantiated by facts and evidence.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2012
97
Just my two cents worth: I have been getting membership since joining the game and am very content with the rewards that KI has given to me for being a member. As for crowns, KI has promotions for all to buy crowns at discounted price and there just so happens to be one going on right now. Wizard101 is a fun and awesome game, but in order for it to remain that way, KI needs to make money to continue with its growth. My person opinion is that KI does not need to increase membership rewards to keep me as a member.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
90
Great idea, but like it's probably been said, KI needs money to make Wizard101 and pay their employees. Maybe 100 crowns each month, or week? Besides, if we get 2500 crowns each month, no one would buy game cards, and then the store might take them out because they don't make money, so they need room for more cards. I'm probably wrong, but that's just my theory.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
894
This original message has been removed.
You are wrong. It is indeed a fact that the companies I listed watched their profits soar when they went to more membership perks. Do some research as I have done, and gain some wisdom on this issue. I have also not belittled any valid point as you suggest. I have not see a valid point offered that is against this. You are entitled to your opinion to not like membership perks,but there is a reason so many companies offer this,because it works.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
760
intrepedituis yes your example has same price for a month membership and yes they give 5 dollars worth of "turbine points" each membership month but you have to play for a decent amount of time just to find a premium area the max level in that game is 20 still right? well it was when i was playing it and i saw level 13 people who have spent no money on the game have you seen around a level 40 (or higher) in wizard101 that has spent no money on the game? not to mention their premium areas are about the size of the island getaway castle. and here is where your way off you think this has no affect on me because i am not a member? it has the bad affect on me because i buy crowns because of that they would either have to 1 increase costs of crowns items or 2 decrease the amount of crowns you get for 5 bucks so they could still tell you that and people would still buy crowns your right this has no harm for MEMBERS but it makes things a lot worse for me and other gamers like me unless you have another game to back up your claims you have no more evidence then Nicholas hawkspear (not that i think he has shown evidence)

Squire
May 10, 2013
510
Moonlighterz1000 on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, it would be nice. Some suggestions:
1: Be able to choose what talent a pet gets at mega free. (Only once., also allows you to see the other talents the pet didn't learn, and can be used at any time optionally, when you take any pet to mega.)

2: 200 crowns per month at the first of every month for all members as long as it is active.

3: PvP rank bonus, every time a ranked match is won you get a free +3 points. (Does not take the extra 3 away from the other person, it is a added member bonus.)

4: If you had a membership for a year/purchase a yearly one without it stopping, get a free member only pet which can only be gotten from membership or from self hatching. The pet would have spell-proof, spritely, guardian wall, unicorn, sharp-shot, pain-giver, infection item card, may cast lifeblade, life-proof, life accuracy, all in order.

5. Member only card trainer at level 50 when you finish Dragonspyre. Will have 1 card for each school and these can only be trained if your a member. (Only balance has 2.)

Ice: Princess of Snow, attacks one target for 2 hits of 300 damage and stuns for one round, 6 pips.

Balance: Spirit convert, converts balance attack into myth, life or death. Also has elemental convert which converts balance damage to fire, ice or storm. 1 pip each.

Life: Nature Blast, attacks for 200 and target cannot heal for 3 rounds excluding death steal spells. 4 pips.

Death: Deathly Field, 2 pips. All death spells +35 damage.

Storm: Critical blade, 4 pips. Puts a blade over head guaranteeing a critical strike on one target for storm only.

Myth: Control, 3 rounds. Allows you to control a minions hand for 3 rounds, it puts up a arua type bubble.

Fire: Burn, 5 pips. After 4 rounds, deal 1000 fire damage to one enemy.
Sorry for all the text but maybe if Kingsisle did some of these, more people would become members.
That's just pushing KI. Like Lucas Rain said, "KI needs money to let us play our favorite game."
And your just going push them for whatever you want? That's just silly.
FYI, we already get a bunch of stuff for us becoming members.
If you weren't a member, you wouldn't be a Transcendent!
  1. You get to post on message boards
  2. Bigger Friend List
  3. Reduced Hatching Price
  4. Unlimited Access to Paid Areas
  5. Reduced Crafting Time
  6. Bigger Backpack
  7. Reduced Tournament Price
  8. Rare Castles
  9. Rare Pets

9 things KI does for us, and you just complain, that's sad :(. It hurts My feelings and KI's.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
393
I don't think this a good idea because you are not paying for the crowns.