Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making Ice Armor useful

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
So, while being sarcastic (me? sarcastic?) in another thread, I mentioned that I might actually use Ice Armor once in a while if it did a Rank X taunt at the same time it provided the absorb. It was suggested that I post this idea as a separate thread (which is why we're here). I thought about it for a while and decided that I did indeed agree. :) Are there any other ice wizards that might actually use ice armor once in a while if this change was made?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Absolutely.

Here's the issue with Ice/Frozen Armor:

In a group, it is extremely hard to get this spell to be useful because by the time you have enough pips to shield yourself decently, your teammates have so much aggro, you spend the next two or three rounds casting taunt/distract. I can't count the amount of times a battle has ended with my Armor nearly full.

Adding Taunt to the Armor will at least get the Ice Wizard initial aggro. Then the Ice wizard can use normal Taunt/Distract spells to MAINTAIN aggro. The taunt component to the armor does not need much, as to not render any other spell useless, but I believe it should scale with the Armor "X" amount, just like how Death's soothe spell works.

There still is a downside to Ice/Frozen Armor even if the taunt component was added. Most other wizards will heal during the course of the battle and has the chance to become full health at the end of the duel. Ice wizards that choose Armor will survive longer (like using healing), but unless a life wizard heals them, they will always end each duel without full health (majority of pips were used on absorbs). This is acceptable for game balance.

I am absolutely thrilled about this idea, since it is hard to justify using Ice/Frozen Armor, especially in group play.

Best of all, it changes nothing in PvP.

EDIT: spelling and grammar.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
So, while being sarcastic (me? sarcastic?) in another thread, I mentioned that I might actually use Ice Armor once in a while if it did a Rank X taunt at the same time it provided the absorb. It was suggested that I post this idea as a separate thread (which is why we're here). I thought about it for a while and decided that I did indeed agree. :) Are there any other ice wizards that might actually use ice armor once in a while if this change was made?

i am a level 40 ice wizard and i use that spell when i am about to die and also to avoid taking damage from damage over time spells

its a good spell it doesnt need to be changed and it get better when ya upgrade it into frozen armor at level 55

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
grvy123 wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:

i am a level 40 ice wizard and i use that spell when i am about to die and also to avoid taking damage from damage over time spells

its a good spell it doesnt need to be changed and it get better when ya upgrade it into frozen armor at level 55

I don't want to get off topic too far, but you should understand that mathematically, ice armor doesn't make any sense vs. healing due to the fact that gear resistance values have no effect on it. The situations where it makes strategic sense to use this spell (on a mathematical basis) are so limited that it approaches "never". Now, if you want to use it and stand by its use, that's cool... you're entitled to your opinion. However, I can almost guarantee you that the vast majority of Ice wizards, having tried out their new spell to see how it works, no longer have this spell in their deck... ever. This one change would not in any way alter PvP or PvE in any mathematical sense. It would, however, provide actual strategic value thereby getting folks to actually use it on occasion.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
I am absolutely thrilled about this idea, since it is hard to justify using Ice/Frozen Armor, especially in group play.

Best of all, it changes nothing in PvP.

I would just like to clarify... I am only suggesting changing ice armor and not frozen armor. The reason for that is because frozen armor is not limited to "self only" and therefore is more useful (albeit still extremely limited in usefulness) to begin with.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
grvy123 wrote:

Gtarhannon's idea is not changing the spell, only adding a taunt effect to it. It would not change how you use the spell at all. From your example, if you use this spell while low on life, the taunt won't matter because the enemy is already beating on you, since that is how you got low on life.

Possibly another suggestion is to only add the taunt to Ice Armor and leave Frozen Armor, as is. Just in case I'm missing something that would make adding this effect bad????

EDIT: Had the two frozen armors switched around.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Possibly another suggestion is to only add the taunt to Frozen Armor and leave Ice Armor, as is. Just in case I'm missing something that would make adding this effect bad????

Now see, I only want to modify ice armor because its "self only". I don't know how it would work to put this on a friend and have them be the source of the taunting. :D I'm with you, however. I can't see that this would really alter very many situations where ice armor is currently in use. However, that's kind of the point of this thread... to debate, discuss, and identify the implications.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
I would just like to clarify... I am only suggesting changing ice armor and not frozen armor. The reason for that is because frozen armor is not limited to "self only" and therefore is more useful (albeit still extremely limited in usefulness) to begin with.

Only changing Ice Armor would also keep both spells relevant. An ice wizard could choose whether to use Ice Armor to shield themselves and gain initial aggro from an enemy that is attacking a teammate. Or use Frozen Armor to shield their teammate and use Taunt/Mega-Taunt to get aggro off them.

As it stands now, if any ice wizard does actually use the Armors it would only be Frozen Armor, since it made Ice Armor obsolete. Since even though they are different spells you can't stack them.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
kingurz wrote:
Possibly another suggestion is to only add the taunt to Frozen Armor and leave Ice Armor, as is. Just in case I'm missing something that would make adding this effect bad????

Now see, I only want to modify ice armor because its "self only". I don't know how it would work to put this on a friend and have them be the source of the taunting. :D I'm with you, however. I can't see that this would really alter very many situations where ice armor is currently in use. However, that's kind of the point of this thread... to debate, discuss, and identify the implications.

Yep, we are playing tag on the forums. I edited it out, I had them switched around, but I did mean to have Ice Armor for the Taunt, since that is an Ice wizard responsiblity. Would kind of be bad to put a 1 pip Frozen Armor with Taunt on a friend, then have all the enemies attack them.

Then again, that would be good for those you didn't want to join your duel. Muwhahahaha!!!!!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Then again, that would be good for those you didn't want to join your duel. Muwhahahaha!!!!!

We would become the most desirable school to play with simply to discourage people from joining without asking. lol.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
kingurz wrote:
grvy123 wrote:

Gtarhannon's idea is not changing the spell, only adding a taunt effect to it. It would not change how you use the spell at all. From your example, if you use this spell while low on life, the taunt won't matter because the enemy is already beating on you, since that is how you got low on life.

Possibly another suggestion is to only add the taunt to Ice Armor and leave Frozen Armor, as is. Just in case I'm missing something that would make adding this effect bad????

i never said he was changing the spell i was saying that the spell doesnt need to be changed and also i play pvp so this taunt does nothing for me and also if they give it taunt then ice wizards will throw away the taunt spell so they get more for the pips

this spell doesnt need taunt because if my pals died i will be a magor target

ki please dont change ice armor i love it the way it is

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
grvy123 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
grvy123 wrote:

i never said he was changing the spell i was saying that the spell doesnt need to be changed and also i play pvp so this taunt does nothing for me and also if they give it taunt then ice wizards will throw away the taunt spell so they get more for the pips

Ok so basically you don't want something to change to benefit the school that uses it so you don't die. And the fact that it is useless in PvP an optional part of the game?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
grvy123 wrote:

Well, don't worry. It's not like it is likely that they would change it anyway. However, I have to ask since you mention it. Do you have either taunt or ice armor in your primary deck? I have a special defensive deck with mega taunt in it (not taunt), but I never use ice armor. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen anyone cast ice armor (and he was a myth) and the same goes for taunt. Under my suggestion, only ice armor would change, but frozen armor would remain the same.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
grvy123 wrote:

If your pals die, the enemies are coming after you anyways!!!

Also, when I am talking about Taunt I'm not talking about the spell. I'm talking about the same effect as healing. If you heal, you are taunting the enemy. Each "X" should generate a small amount of taunt just like healing does. We don't need as much Taunt as the spell itself generates, nor that long animation that goes with it.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Also, when I am talking about Taunt I'm not talking about the spell. I'm talking about the same effect as healing. If you heal, you are taunting the enemy. Each "X" should generate a small amount of taunt just like healing does. We don't need as much Taunt as the spell itself generates, nor that long animation that goes with it.

Interesting. I was actually thinking about the full on taunt effect (perhaps half a threat level per pip?) to go with the ice armor. I see where you're going, but the only problem would be that you still would seldom use ice armor because frozen armor would generate more effect and healing would generate still more effect. I suppose it largely depends on a decision by KI to use gear resist or not...