Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Make Your Own Wand

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
I thought it would be fun to makeup your own wand idea. Example;

Name: Bow of Frost
School: Any
Level: 30+ Only
Health: 175
Mana: 75
Power Pip Chance: 10%
Pips: +2
Critical: 30% Universal 20%
Armour Piercing: 15%
Health: +5% Outcoming
Gives one BaleFrost
Gives five Mega Snowballs

Cori RavenSword, Level 30

Survivor
Jun 26, 2012
iceslushie101 on Jun 25, 2013 wrote:

Gives one BaleFrost

That's a good idea i like it. Oh and my name is Andrea DragonHunter, level 44

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
I think if left to their own devices, most players would make wands with infinite crit and block, a bunch of super pips, and OP hits.

Look at most wands you get as drops, their crit + block is always under 100 and usually under 80.

Even crowns wands are limited to crit + block around 150 and power pips chance 5-7%. They either get 4-5 mega hits, OR 4-5 super hits and a card, but not both.

Grafting on a healing boost should come with a penalty to crit.

Given the above limitations, you could still come up with some very powerful wands. For instance, a high block wand that has a generous pip chance but no healing boost; or a high crit wand that has a mild healing boost but only gives you a power pip no extra chances.

The other way you could add a limitation would be to make the crit and block school-specific, as you've done.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
Name: Dragon's Wraith Staff
Level: 90 Only

Health: 300
Pips: 2
Critical Blocking: 115
Critical Rating: 65
Resistance: 20

Gives Two Breath Of Fire: 135 Damage
Gives Two Breath Of Ice: 135 Damage
Gives Two Breath Of Storm: 135 Damage

Kane Skullstaff, Your local Pyromancer

Survivor
Apr 19, 2012

Gives one BaleFrost

It would be fun. Like making a bow like this:

Name: String of life
School: School only
Level: 30+ only
+185
+50 Mana
Power Pip chance: 25%
Pips: +1

Critical: +15 and
Armor Piercing: 5%

Health: +15 Outcoming/Incoming
Gives 1 Regeneration
Gives 6 Major Life Furys

Hannah Moonstone, Level 30 (Yeah i leveled up everybody!)

Survivor
Jun 27, 2013
Name: Bow of Locusts
School: Balance
Health: 300
Mana: 100
Power Pip Chance: 20%
Critical: 0% Universal 0%
Armour Piercing: 5%

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
I've wanted a wand that grows with you so you can keep using it:

Pinocchio's Growing Nose (a giant gnarled cudgel with a greatsword-style casting animation, covered with green shoots sticking out here and there)
lvl 50+
24 + ((lvl / 10) - 3) crit, rounded down
40 + ((lvl / 10) - 2) block, rounded up
((lvl / 10) - 3)) % power pip chance (so lvl 60+ would get 3% power pip chance, lvl 70+ would get 4%, etc.)
+1 power pip
Gives ((lvl / 10) - 3) Pierce item cards
Gives 1 Time of Legend item card

Belloq Beater (a long, thin bamboo switch for elephant herders and howdah driving)
lvl 65+
14 crit
20 global block
42 balance block
+1 power pip
Gives 8 100-dmg life wand hits.

Downed Power Line
lvl 68+
36 + ((lvl / 8) + (# unused training points)) crit, rounded down
30 block
+1 power pip
Gives 4 Storm Elf item cards

Bean Ball (animation is winding up and pitching a ball towards the enemy)
lvl 50+
28 + ((lvl / 10) + (current health / 250)) crit, rounded down
No block
+1 power pip
+ ((lvl / 10) - 3)) % global accuracy
Gives 3 100-dmg ice hits
Gives 3 stun

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I always liked rpg's that allow you to create your own stuff. A method I like is where properties (ex. pip percent, dmg, block, etc.) are assigned points. Your item is assigned a max number of points, and you embue your item with whatever combo of properties up to the max value.

~ RH

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Firey Staff-Level 25, gives 3% universal resist, 3 85 fire dmg cards, and a power pip. Its a staff that's set on fire.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
RottenHeart on Jul 11, 2013 wrote:
I always liked rpg's that allow you to create your own stuff. A method I like is where properties (ex. pip percent, dmg, block, etc.) are assigned points. Your item is assigned a max number of points, and you embue your item with whatever combo of properties up to the max value.

~ RH
I'm with you RottenHeart. But to simplify things, I think it'd be pretty cool if they had some basic generic wands that had 3 or 4 slots on them that we could fill with various looted items to make them more powerful. I hate to say it, but a system similar to what WoW has on their gear. Make the items for the slots a bit rare and the ones with better stats even more rare. Put a couple exclusive modeled slotted wands in the crown shop and a hoard pack and it would be a good earner. Add the items to each of the final bosses in worlds and a couple dungeons, scaled to level of the world of course, and it would encourage more use of the dungeons.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
crunkatog on Jul 9, 2013 wrote:
I've wanted a wand that grows with you so you can keep using it:

Pinocchio's Growing Nose (a giant gnarled cudgel with a greatsword-style casting animation, covered with green shoots sticking out here and there)
lvl 50+
24 + ((lvl / 10) - 3) crit, rounded down
40 + ((lvl / 10) - 2) block, rounded up
((lvl / 10) - 3)) % power pip chance (so lvl 60+ would get 3% power pip chance, lvl 70+ would get 4%, etc.)
+1 power pip
Gives ((lvl / 10) - 3) Pierce item cards
Gives 1 Time of Legend item card

Belloq Beater (a long, thin bamboo switch for elephant herders and howdah driving)
lvl 65+
14 crit
20 global block
42 balance block
+1 power pip
Gives 8 100-dmg life wand hits.

Downed Power Line
lvl 68+
36 + ((lvl / 8) + (# unused training points)) crit, rounded down
30 block
+1 power pip
Gives 4 Storm Elf item cards

Bean Ball (animation is winding up and pitching a ball towards the enemy)
lvl 50+
28 + ((lvl / 10) + (current health / 250)) crit, rounded down
No block
+1 power pip
+ ((lvl / 10) - 3)) % global accuracy
Gives 3 100-dmg ice hits
Gives 3 stun
you know, I thought the same thing. Let's revolutionize how wands work. my idea was something like this:

Item Name: School Spirit
1) We could use any wand type we wanted (sword, staff, wand, bow, club, etc), it would follow the proper animation and we could choose highlight colors. We would get a box that comes up that allows us to choose what type of item we want from all of the wand options currently available in the game

2) We should have 6 0-pip spell cards. Each spell card will do two times your current level in school damage. So, if you're level 90, you do 180 pts of damage, 80 you do 160, etc

3) Each spell also does a secondary effect based on school. The secondary effect does your current level in damage/healing based off of your primary school (Life heals itself, death converts half damage to healing, fire gets DoT damage, etc)

4) +2 power pips at the beginning of battle

5) + current character level to oppositional school resists (resist vs schools that get boost damage on your primary school).

6) + half current level to universal critical hit & block as well as non-oppositional school resistance (so if Im a lvl 80 fire, I'd get +40 resist to myth spells as an example)

Now, this is an powerful wand, so there should be an equally difficult quest to get it. Perhaps:
1) Level 80 minimal

2) In order to get it, you must defeat monsters the equivalent to every non-craftable school spell in your school. So, fire would have to defeat a Firecat, Fire Elf, Sunbird, Phoenix, Helephant, Heck Hound, Fire Elemental, Fire Dragon, Efreet, and Sun Serpent. Each fight would be you vs more than one opponent. Perhaps Sun Serpent and Firecat, Fire Elf and Efreet, Sunbird and Phoenix and Helephant and Heck hound

3) Only ONE friend could port to you after you’ve entered, but it can’t be a wizard whose primary school gets a boost against yours.

4) The quest would involve talking to all of the NPC’s from your school (teachers and others), as well as going back through all of the Obsidian Chests for the pieces to form your item.

I know some people might think this is overpowered and all, but it's a way to create and entirely new way of looking at things. I too want a wand that grows with me, so that I can continue to use it.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012

Gives one BaleFrost

For level 30+, that's overpowered.

Wand??????
Ok.
Wand-
Wand of justice
Level 5+
Gives-
1 life, death, myth, balance, storm, fire and ice 85 damage wand spell.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Survivor
Mar 08, 2011
Thats a really good idea. Although, we're probably all going to make our wand really strong so it would be kind of easy.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
critical blizzard on Jul 17, 2013 wrote:
um limits to these wands maybe?
The original idea I had was to give the player a finite number of points to spend on crit, block, number and size of wand hits, starting pips, and "other".

"Other" may include things like power pip chance boosts, extra spell cards, incoming/outgoing heal boosts, even mana and health boosting.

Clearly, having a wand that "grows" with you as you level, would be stronger than a wand that is only static, so you would need to spend some of the points on this as well.

The problem with this is, you would need more points to make a functionally competent wand for a lvl 90, than say for lvl 30. This is because the average lvl 70+ wizard gets a lot (sometimes most or all) of his/her critical block from wand choice. So having a nonzero amount of block and sometimes a little bit of crit is essential. You don't need this for lvl 30 or 40 because unless they are in PVP, they won't need it at all and having those extra points will make their wand relatively OP.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
crunkatog on Jul 17, 2013 wrote:
The original idea I had was to give the player a finite number of points to spend on crit, block, number and size of wand hits, starting pips, and "other".

"Other" may include things like power pip chance boosts, extra spell cards, incoming/outgoing heal boosts, even mana and health boosting.

Clearly, having a wand that "grows" with you as you level, would be stronger than a wand that is only static, so you would need to spend some of the points on this as well.

The problem with this is, you would need more points to make a functionally competent wand for a lvl 90, than say for lvl 30. This is because the average lvl 70+ wizard gets a lot (sometimes most or all) of his/her critical block from wand choice. So having a nonzero amount of block and sometimes a little bit of crit is essential. You don't need this for lvl 30 or 40 because unless they are in PVP, they won't need it at all and having those extra points will make their wand relatively OP.
it's REALLY scary how like-minded we are on this! I have thought the EXACT same thing. Give us "Gear Points" to spend on our items, and with sliders so we can change them on the fly, but not exceeding "X" amount of total points per item.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
dayerider on Jul 19, 2013 wrote:
it's REALLY scary how like-minded we are on this! I have thought the EXACT same thing. Give us "Gear Points" to spend on our items, and with sliders so we can change them on the fly, but not exceeding "X" amount of total points per item.
Changing stats on your gear "on the fly" seems a little too OP. For instance, if I had a slider hat, I could flee an unfavorable battle vs. some fire guys, go fiddle the sliders on my hat so I have jade-like fire resist, then port back and take any number of unblocked efreets and dragons while building pips for a huge tempest. Then, when I had to face some ice guys, tweak the sliders so I had massive ice resist, stun block, etc. then go in and afk against them while looking at ESPN and waiting for pips.

Or a wand with a dynamic slider - for street battles you dial the crit to 11. For boss battles you dial the block to 11.

It would obsolete virtually anything you could get in the Crowns Shop. Unless of course, your total gear point cap for this dynamic item was so low that pretty much any static item would be strictly better. And that would pretty much defeat the purpose of having wildcard item stats.

No - the only way this would be appealing and fair would be if you had X initial points to spend, but once you spent them, the result would be a wand with fixed properties whose only variable would POSSIBLY be your level or your pvp rank.
That way, you would have to use good judgment to spend the points prudently when you make the wand. And it would allow such a concept to be market-feasible alongside existing crowns and pack wands, which (currently) do not improve in lock step with their owner's level.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not talking about sliding everything. Not every new type of gear would have sliders and also not having sliders for every stat, and with the cap, if you chose to have total immunity, the item would do nothing else. Plus, with the sliders, NO item should be able to have full anything (block, crit, immun, power pip, stun, etc). There should be caps on how high the sliders can go. If 0 is "amplify nothing" and 100 is "total immunity" then there should be a BALANCED CAP somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. Especially if you make it so no ONE stat could be 100% raised on any single item for the gear. So a hat could not have 100% immunity to ANYTHING It could be done, but would have to be extremely delicate.

I DO agree that this could easily get OP, and that yes, we'd need careful thought when doing these kids of things. You'll notice by my example earlier that I used a flat multiplier vs a slider. All in all, regardless of method, it's time to update the utilities we have :)

Survivor
Jun 19, 2010
RottenHeart on Jul 11, 2013 wrote:

~ RH
I've always found the point limit system kind off boring, personally. I like Fable III's system, where the weapon upgrades itself depending on how you use it. If you attack a lot and rarely defend, your weapon's damage increases while keeping it's defensive capabilities lower.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2012
dayerider on Jul 16, 2013 wrote:
you know, I thought the same thing. Let's revolutionize how wands work. my idea was something like this:

Item Name: School Spirit
1) We could use any wand type we wanted (sword, staff, wand, bow, club, etc), it would follow the proper animation and we could choose highlight colors. We would get a box that comes up that allows us to choose what type of item we want from all of the wand options currently available in the game

2) We should have 6 0-pip spell cards. Each spell card will do two times your current level in school damage. So, if you're level 90, you do 180 pts of damage, 80 you do 160, etc

3) Each spell also does a secondary effect based on school. The secondary effect does your current level in damage/healing based off of your primary school (Life heals itself, death converts half damage to healing, fire gets DoT damage, etc)

4) +2 power pips at the beginning of battle

5) + current character level to oppositional school resists (resist vs schools that get boost damage on your primary school).

6) + half current level to universal critical hit & block as well as non-oppositional school resistance (so if Im a lvl 80 fire, I'd get +40 resist to myth spells as an example)

Now, this is an powerful wand, so there should be an equally difficult quest to get it. Perhaps:
1) Level 80 minimal

2) In order to get it, you must defeat monsters the equivalent to every non-craftable school spell in your school. So, fire would have to defeat a Firecat, Fire Elf, Sunbird, Phoenix, Helephant, Heck Hound, Fire Elemental, Fire Dragon, Efreet, and Sun Serpent. Each fight would be you vs more than one opponent. Perhaps Sun Serpent and Firecat, Fire Elf and Efreet, Sunbird and Phoenix and Helephant and Heck hound

3) Only ONE friend could port to you after you’ve entered, but it can’t be a wizard whose primary school gets a boost against yours.

4) The quest would involve talking to all of the NPC’s from your school (teachers and others), as well as going back through all of the Obsidian Chests for the pieces to form your item.

I know some people might think this is overpowered and all, but it's a way to create and entirely new way of looking at things. I too want a wand that grows with me, so that I can continue to use it.
This could be a pack available in the crowns shop! each pack has a different kind of weapon.(but you know the weapon) and 10 random items to put into the wand, giving it different abilities! KI Should really add this to the game! I know I would buy it!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Laura WinterWhispe... on Jul 20, 2013 wrote:
This could be a pack available in the crowns shop! each pack has a different kind of weapon.(but you know the weapon) and 10 random items to put into the wand, giving it different abilities! KI Should really add this to the game! I know I would buy it!
I understand their need to make money, but I would hope this would be something not crowns only.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2012
Name: Staff of the Minions
School:
Level: 45+ only
Health: 100
Mana: 80
Power pip chance: 15%
Critical: 4%
Pips: +1
Armor Piercing: 6%

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
mabombixos on Jul 19, 2013 wrote:
I've always found the point limit system kind off boring, personally. I like Fable III's system, where the weapon upgrades itself depending on how you use it. If you attack a lot and rarely defend, your weapon's damage increases while keeping it's defensive capabilities lower.
A learning algorithm built into your gear - I like this idea.

It's hard to envision how to code a piece of gear to "learn" critical block, except maybe if the owner took lots of unblocked crits to the face and died, the gear would analyze the data on causes of death over several battles and use that to "learn" the most useful attributes to prevent future dying.

It would have to have a pretty sophisticated algorithm to sort out "death from unblocked crit attack" as opposed to "death from insufficient shielding/healing" or "death from running out of mana/cards".

It would be even harder for the gear to determine the corrective upgrade for "death by attrition because of underpowered spells/low pip chance".

The algorithm could monitor ratio of offensive vs. defensive spells cast. Traps, blades, Pierce/Shatter, and bubbles are all considered offensive (for simplicity's sake let's ignore Sanctuary and Doom & Gloom). Shields, cleanse, enfeeble, stun, weakness/plague, healing spells, and smokescreen are all considered defensive. Attacks are considered offensive. Fizzles are dealt with by a separate accuracy tracker.

The gear adjustments would take place on login after the last session for which data was gathered. So it would not be doing this during say, battle or while you are inside a dungeon. They would necessarily be small increments of changes - no dramatic losses or gains in stats with just one day's worth of campaigning.