Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Light School

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
14
Introduction

Recently, I have reading posts that mention ideas of a new school being introduced into the game. However, almost none of the posts go into vivid detail as to what the spells would do, what they would look like, etc. But before you think this is another one of those posts, allow me to introduce my idea.

New Spells: Light School

What if you could take two different cards (from different elements) and morph them into one single card, after selecting a Light Spell? It would be a card that you could customize. You could change the card's healing properties, damage, if it is a DoT/AoE, boosts, stuns...everything! Of course, there is going to be some boundaries and limitations, but here are a few examples to help you out if you're confused:

EXAMPLE 1
Pixie (400) + Storm Shark (375-435) + Light Spell
The outcome would look something like:
(250 + 300) Cost: 3

EXAMPLE 2
Frost Giant (375 + Stun, to All) + Fire Elf (100 + 210) + Light Spell
The outcome would look something like:
(265 + 150 + Stun, to All) Cost: 6

Starting to understand?

EXAMPLE 3
Wraith (500, convert 1/2 ) + Judgement (100 per Pip) + Light Spell
The outcome would look something like:
(275 + 55 per Pip, convert 1/4 ) Cost: X

Once you combine two spells, their original properties are shortened slightly to create the final product.

Appearance

Obviously, it would take lots of work creating hybrids between a HUGE amount of combinations, so the morphed spell could look something like this:

A hologram of the Spiral appears. Worlds are orbiting like normal. Above the spiral, the two cards used to create this Light Spell appear. The worlds start to pick up speed, and shortly after, a flash of light strikes the player(s). After the attack has finished, the worlds slow down and the hologram fades.

Types of Light Spells

Instead of the Light School containing a single card--the anvil to morph two cards--perhaps there could be different types of cards! (Hence the word School) They would act just like sun spells, and provide boosts and disadvantages to the properties of the morphed card. Some examples:

Ultraviolet: (+15% Damage, +25% Armor Pierce, -75% Heal)

Flash of Heaven: (+50% Heal, +10% Accuracy, -25% Damage)

Blindfold: (+25% Damage, +30% Critical, -25% Accuracy)

(These cards may need some tweaking. Please leave feedback)

Additional Details
  • Light Spells will act like enchantments, and will require 0 Pips. To morph spells, click and drag 2 cards to the Light Card. The card will then morph into a mix of those 2 cards
  • Light Spells cannot morph blades, traps, weaknesses, shields, treasure cards, astral spells, Shadow spells, or other Light spells
  • Morphed Light spells cannot be further enchanted. Blades, traps, etc. are allowed
  • The School of Light is founded by the Council of Light. Location undecided
  • Quests will be required to unlock access

Closing

What do you think of my idea? Leave suggestions, comments, improvements & nerfs, please! Let's see if we can get this into w101!

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
357
Wow I love it! It's something new, and can be expanded on. I had my own Idea of Light Magic a while back, but yours is a lot better!

Perhaps I could suggest a few new spells?

Enlighten: (Adds a remove 2 Positive Charms and a remove 2 Positive Wards)

Exchange: (+30 Critical, -7% Damage)

Hope you like them!
-Nick level 100

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
110
Ah yes. Great idea, since no one can see this coming. "Lord of Winter + Storm Owl - 1525 - 1625 Damage, Lose 3 Pips." or maybe Mana Burn + Celestial Calendar - 1070 - 1170 Damage, Steal 3 Pips." This idea MAY be a little overpowered.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
14
AlphaWolf02 on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
Ah yes. Great idea, since no one can see this coming. "Lord of Winter + Storm Owl - 1525 - 1625 Damage, Lose 3 Pips." or maybe Mana Burn + Celestial Calendar - 1070 - 1170 Damage, Steal 3 Pips." This idea MAY be a little overpowered.
I actually never thought about those really high ranked spells. However, keep in mind that when you combine two spells, their attributes would be cut slightly. So for Mana Burn + Celestial Calendar, the damage would be around 800-900, and maybe only steal 2 Pips. There will need to be a lot of tweaking and work to make this a reality.

Also, to keep it from being overpowering, maybe KingsIsle can set up a few rules where the two combined spells cannot add up to a Pip counter of a certain number. Allow me to explain:

If the rule was the two spells' Pip requirement can not pass over 11 Pips, combinations like;

Storm Lord (7 Pips) and Hydra (6 Pips) = 13 ... 13 > 11

Cyclops (3 Pips) and Rain of Fire (9 Pips) = 12 ... 12 > 11

Would not be allowed.

Combinations like the following, however;

Centaur (6 Pips) and Frostbite (5 Pips) = 11 ... 11 = 11

Skeletal Pirate (5 Pips) and Imp (1 Pip) = 6 ... 6 < 11

Would be allowed.

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
14
Nicholas Hawkspear on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
Wow I love it! It's something new, and can be expanded on. I had my own Idea of Light Magic a while back, but yours is a lot better!

Perhaps I could suggest a few new spells?

Enlighten: (Adds a remove 2 Positive Charms and a remove 2 Positive Wards)

Exchange: (+30 Critical, -7% Damage)

Hope you like them!
-Nick level 100
I really like your "Enlighten" spell idea! I think other spells similar to that would be a great addition.

Delver
Oct 23, 2011
214
I had an idea about shadow magic a while ago here, but I think your idea is a really good one too! There would be almost unlimited possibilities! And the 3rd example should be altered a little because you could cast it with one pip, and it would do over 300 damage, so maybe change the death damage to a per-pip?

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
8
Thats actually a pretty cool idea but i has a suggestion for another school, too. I know is supposed to be storm, but what about like a level 48 quest to find the lost school of water? and anyone else who has passed level 48 can do the quest even though they are a higher level

water would be affective against fire, like storm is, but storm would be affective against water. I have a lot of suggestions for mounts, too. instead of mounts for everyone, maybe only the person's school, but people can group and ride on the mounts. so here are the suggestions!
=a floating scale (3 person mount) owner stands on top, while two people sit in scale
=3 snowflakes connect (3 person mount) owner stands in middle, while 2 people stand on other snowflake
=a flaming throne (3 person mount) owner sits in throne, while 2 people sit on armrests
=1 huge stormcloud (3 person mount) owner stands on cloud, while 2 people stand next to him/her
=a floating skull (3 person mount) owner appears in nose, while 2 people appears in eyes
=a myth symbol (3 person mount) owner balances on top, while 2 people hang from lower edges
=a leaf surfboard (3 person mount) owner stands in front, while 2 people stand behind owner

and now i also want to show you my ideas for the astral mounts (anyone can ride them)

=a floating moon (3 person mount) owner stands on top, while 2 people hang from the edges
=a floating sun (3 person mount) owner stands in middle, 2 people stand on side of him/her
=a floating star (3 person mount) owner sits in middle, 2 people sit beside him/her

but remember, the,,,,,,and mounts are for the owner's school ONLY, but the passengers dont have to be the mount's school. name the mounts whatever you want, but they all have 50% speed
you can get this mount if you're a lvl 15 or higher from merle ambrose

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
14
Nathaniel OgreBlad... on Jul 25, 2014 wrote:
I had an idea about shadow magic a while ago here, but I think your idea is a really good one too! There would be almost unlimited possibilities! And the 3rd example should be altered a little because you could cast it with one pip, and it would do over 300 damage, so maybe change the death damage to a per-pip?
Now that I think about it further, you are right about that third example. With that being said, there may need to be extra rules for X ranked spells:

Either we are not allowed to use X ranked spells, just to make the combinations simpler and not have to worry about over-powered damage, or;

If you do combine an X ranked spell and a single target spell, like Wraith, the Death damage would also be varied on how many Pips you have when it is casted.

Personally, I think that X ranked spells should not be allowed into the Light School, because it would require a lot less coding for every single combination, it would not be over-powered, and we wouldn't have to worry about a Tempest and Heckhound combination....

Oh gosh...

Let me know what you think.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
14
Pegasusland on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
Thats actually a pretty cool idea but i has a suggestion for another school, too. I know is supposed to be storm, but what about like a level 48 quest to find the lost school of water? and anyone else who has passed level 48 can do the quest even though they are a higher level

water would be affective against fire, like storm is, but storm would be affective against water. I have a lot of suggestions for mounts, too. instead of mounts for everyone, maybe only the person's school, but people can group and ride on the mounts. so here are the suggestions!
=a floating scale (3 person mount) owner stands on top, while two people sit in scale
=3 snowflakes connect (3 person mount) owner stands in middle, while 2 people stand on other snowflake
=a flaming throne (3 person mount) owner sits in throne, while 2 people sit on armrests
=1 huge stormcloud (3 person mount) owner stands on cloud, while 2 people stand next to him/her
=a floating skull (3 person mount) owner appears in nose, while 2 people appears in eyes
=a myth symbol (3 person mount) owner balances on top, while 2 people hang from lower edges
=a leaf surfboard (3 person mount) owner stands in front, while 2 people stand behind owner

and now i also want to show you my ideas for the astral mounts (anyone can ride them)

=a floating moon (3 person mount) owner stands on top, while 2 people hang from the edges
=a floating sun (3 person mount) owner stands in middle, 2 people stand on side of him/her
=a floating star (3 person mount) owner sits in middle, 2 people sit beside him/her

but remember, the,,,,,,and mounts are for the owner's school ONLY, but the passengers dont have to be the mount's school. name the mounts whatever you want, but they all have 50% speed
you can get this mount if you're a lvl 15 or higher from merle ambrose
I really like your 3 person mount ideas! That way, you could carry yourself and your little group of buddies wherever you need to be. However, I think the mounts should be a little more creative and dynamic, rather than "a floating sun" or "a myth symbol"

Maybe for Myth, it is a cyclops with some swag and cool colors, while the owner sits on its shoulders, and the two passengers sit comfortably in the cyclops' hands.

Now, about your Water School idea. Everyone who has played this game has asked, "Are you going to make another Starter School?" KingsIsle has officially answered this question as a big fat NO. Allow me to explain.

  • If a new Starter School was introduced, the entire game would have to be "re-coded", if you will. Mobs would be changed, quests would be added, PvP, world layouts...the list goes on and on. More importantly though, imagine what people would think if they caught a fish in the Water school...
  • So many new spells. Shields would be changed, blades added, traps tweaked...that is way too much coding

Even if your school was introduced to players over Level 48, it can NOT be similar to a Starter School. It can not include damage spells simply because the whole game would have to be changed. Plus, at this time in the story, and Shadow magic being added, a Water School obtained at Level 48 just would not be worth it.

Sorry to sink your boat, but that's just my opinion. Let me know what you think.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2014
1
This is a great idea! I just started the game and I feel like this would be a good addition to the game

Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
13
There is a Shadow School, so there needs to be light. The Light School, in my opinion, should be more powerful than Shadow, since good conquers evil. Except for Azteca :(

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
58
Pegasusland on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
Thats actually a pretty cool idea but i has a suggestion for another school, too. I know is supposed to be storm, but what about like a level 48 quest to find the lost school of water? and anyone else who has passed level 48 can do the quest even though they are a higher level

water would be affective against fire, like storm is, but storm would be affective against water. I have a lot of suggestions for mounts, too. instead of mounts for everyone, maybe only the person's school, but people can group and ride on the mounts. so here are the suggestions!
=a floating scale (3 person mount) owner stands on top, while two people sit in scale
=3 snowflakes connect (3 person mount) owner stands in middle, while 2 people stand on other snowflake
=a flaming throne (3 person mount) owner sits in throne, while 2 people sit on armrests
=1 huge stormcloud (3 person mount) owner stands on cloud, while 2 people stand next to him/her
=a floating skull (3 person mount) owner appears in nose, while 2 people appears in eyes
=a myth symbol (3 person mount) owner balances on top, while 2 people hang from lower edges
=a leaf surfboard (3 person mount) owner stands in front, while 2 people stand behind owner

and now i also want to show you my ideas for the astral mounts (anyone can ride them)

=a floating moon (3 person mount) owner stands on top, while 2 people hang from the edges
=a floating sun (3 person mount) owner stands in middle, 2 people stand on side of him/her
=a floating star (3 person mount) owner sits in middle, 2 people sit beside him/her

but remember, the,,,,,,and mounts are for the owner's school ONLY, but the passengers dont have to be the mount's school. name the mounts whatever you want, but they all have 50% speed
you can get this mount if you're a lvl 15 or higher from merle ambrose
Wow i really like the idea's for the mounts. They sound like a really awesome idea that you came up with.

Blaze Fireshard lvl 100