Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

KI, better restrict low level wizards!

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 28, 2012
11
For the second time two days I have been asked to assist another wizard in battle. The deal is in each time the wizard did not have a spiral key to the world where I was summoned and the wizard was simply using me to get free loot. For example, today the wizard that summoned me to the Portico was only at level 35 and last night I got summoned to fight Astreaus by a level 29. I ended yup getting killed and popping a bottle before I realized he did not have the quest and didn't have a bit of business trying to fight that boss!

Now I realize that the ability for a lower level wizard to port in to assist another higher level wizard during a duel can be a boon, but on the same token it can get a wizard defeated during a street battle if said low level wizard pops in, drags another enemy into the fight and then chickens out and flees.

Normally in such instances the individual is instantly removed from my friend list, but it is a huge annoyance. KI, in my opinion you need to do something to fix this and I hope this post does not fall upon deaf ears.

That said may I suggest the following solution... for any wizard that attempts to port to another wizard in a world that they do not yet have a spiral key for they will receive a message saying something along the lines of "Your friend does not need help right now".

If they do port into a duel, then their "flee" button will be greyed out thus forcing them to fight until they are defeated or the duel is over. At the same time, the wizard whom they ported in on will have the option to "send away" thus sending the wizard back to their point of origin. Additionally upon returning to their point of origin the wizard will have a 60 second countdown timer start... just like when porting from a house or similar location.

I believe the above would strike a fair balance between allowing a wizard to gain valuable experience battling higher level bosses ( not to mention getting some good loot) while at the same time preventing them from exploiting others and the game in general.

For any wizard that agrees with me, I would ask that they "bump" this thread or if they have a better idea or disagree, then let's hear it.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
"If they do port into a duel, then their "flee" button will be greyed out thus forcing them to fight until they are defeated or the duel is over. At the same time, the wizard whom they ported in on will have the option to "send away" thus sending the wizard back to their point of origin. Additionally upon returning to their point of origin the wizard will have a 60 second countdown timer start... just like when porting from a house or similar location. "

~that I like a lot.

And would like to add, that after they are done with the duel, they are immediately ported back home so they can't linger around. And also make it not possible for the under-levels to mark any area of the spiral to which they do not have access on their own.

Defender
Dec 12, 2008
106
EvilLurker wrote:
For the second time two days I have been asked to assist another wizard in battle. The deal is in each time the wizard did not have a spiral key to the world where I was summoned and the wizard was simply using me to get free loot. For example, today the wizard that summoned me to the Portico was only at level 35 and last night I got summoned to fight Astreaus by a level 29. I ended yup getting killed and popping a bottle before I realized he did not have the quest and didn't have a bit of business trying to fight that boss!

Now I realize that the ability for a lower level wizard to port in to assist another higher level wizard during a duel can be a boon, but on the same token it can get a wizard defeated during a street battle if said low level wizard pops in, drags another enemy into the fight and then chickens out and flees.

Normally in such instances the individual is instantly removed from my friend list, but it is a huge annoyance. KI, in my opinion you need to do something to fix this and I hope this post does not fall upon deaf ears.

That said may I suggest the following solution... for any wizard that attempts to port to another wizard in a world that they do not yet have a spiral key for they will receive a message saying something along the lines of "Your friend does not need help right now".

If they do port into a duel, then their "flee" button will be greyed out thus forcing them to fight until they are defeated or the duel is over. At the same time, the wizard whom they ported in on will have the option to "send away" thus sending the wizard back to their point of origin. Additionally upon returning to their point of origin the wizard will have a 60 second countdown timer start... just like when porting from a house or similar location.

I believe the above would strike a fair balance between allowing a wizard to gain valuable experience battling higher level bosses ( not to mention getting some good loot) while at the same time preventing them from exploiting others and the game in general.

For any wizard that agrees with me, I would ask that they "bump" this thread or if they have a better idea or disagree, then let's hear it.
I don't think that would be very fair. Just, turn teleports off, or remove the lower level wizards, or tell them not to come. Although I do think they should have a way to turn teleports off/be hidden to CERTAIN friends. But really, what if you WANTED the help? Or you WANTED that person to come with? Then it wouldn't allow them to. That's not fair.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
312
EvilLurker wrote:
For the second time two days I have been asked to assist another wizard in battle. The deal is in each time the wizard did not have a spiral key to the world where I was summoned and the wizard was simply using me to get free loot. For example, today the wizard that summoned me to the Portico was only at level 35 and last night I got summoned to fight Astreaus by a level 29. I ended yup getting killed and popping a bottle before I realized he did not have the quest and didn't have a bit of business trying to fight that boss!

Now I realize that the ability for a lower level wizard to port in to assist another higher level wizard during a duel can be a boon, but on the same token it can get a wizard defeated during a street battle if said low level wizard pops in, drags another enemy into the fight and then chickens out and flees.

Normally in such instances the individual is instantly removed from my friend list, but it is a huge annoyance. KI, in my opinion you need to do something to fix this and I hope this post does not fall upon deaf ears.

That said may I suggest the following solution... for any wizard that attempts to port to another wizard in a world that they do not yet have a spiral key for they will receive a message saying something along the lines of "Your friend does not need help right now".

If they do port into a duel, then their "flee" button will be greyed out thus forcing them to fight until they are defeated or the duel is over. At the same time, the wizard whom they ported in on will have the option to "send away" thus sending the wizard back to their point of origin. Additionally upon returning to their point of origin the wizard will have a 60 second countdown timer start... just like when porting from a house or similar location.

I believe the above would strike a fair balance between allowing a wizard to gain valuable experience battling higher level bosses ( not to mention getting some good loot) while at the same time preventing them from exploiting others and the game in general.

For any wizard that agrees with me, I would ask that they "bump" this thread or if they have a better idea or disagree, then let's hear it.


Or.... You just have your setting put so friends can not port to you. The. If a friends does ask you flip it on really fast then flip it back off. Sounds like an easier fix then doing all of that. Exploit wise really that falls on your shoulders. It's up to you to let the noob come in or not.

Just my thoughts, :?

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
99
EvilLurker, cool name btw, love it! (I bet you are not evil)

Anyway I agree. There are many of us who feel worlds should be restricted from those who have not received a key for that world.

My one thought was, common areas should be okay to access, especially the "shopping" areas. In places like Zafaria where down below in Bobab there are mobs waiting to fight, there should be a forcefield type of thing to prevent someone from accessing those fighting areas. (It would simply say, "I am sorry young wizard, please continue your studies to have access to that area")

As far as friends porting, that gets a bit trickier, but a simple confirm button on the port side would be great... a lower level pal wants to port to you, a pop up appears and asks you to conform or send them a busy message. AND if any lower level wizard joins they should be locked in place until the end of the fight, I can not even count the number of times we have had people join and flee just to check out the enemies health numbers and leave us with quite a mess.

So I also agree if they die, flee or anything, they are sent back to Wizard City or the place they last were in another world.

Power leveling is one of the biggest forms of cheating in the game and I absolutely despise it. I honestly feel for the family friendly, fairness of the game, power leveling should be stopped meaning all dungeons, gauntlets etc are closed and not portable until you actually open them up.. no more early entry. I never let my daughter power level or fight in worlds we did not open yet and I never have either. The game flow is perfect when you simply quest through it in order... we love it!

Thank you EvilLuker!
Jennifer LifeHeart and family!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
I like your idea, except for the "Send Away" option~ there's too much potential for abuse, as kids and young teens (maybe even a few "responsible" adults) will likely start kicking people out of fights, just to be mean. That said, I love the concept of a greyed-out Flee button. It teaches people to finish what they start, to take responsibility for their actions and not quit because something is "too hard".

In the early parts of Avalon, I had a guy on my list who used me as his personal teleport-pad. He was level 27, but would always port to me in the middle of street-fights in High Road (without asking, of course), then flee or beg for healing. It got so bad that I had to remove him~ shame, since he was a nice kid. Perhaps an option like yours could have prevented that.

For example: I'm fighting mobs in Avalon, and get the following message:

"Allison Frostsword, level 46 wants to teleport to you~ allow?"

Click yes and it ports her into the fight.
Click no, and she'll get the "your friend is busy right now" pop-up.

I picked 46 because it's somewhere in the middle. If she was that level and a good friend, whose fighting style I was familiar with, I'd consider letting her port; if she was only an acquaintance, I'd likely say no. Different story, of course, if she was level 66 (pretty safe) or 36 (probably not such a good idea).

-

There could also be a few more options for menu-chat, including:

-May I please port to you?
-Where are you?
-Are you busy right now?
-Does the enemy cheat?

Hopefully, other wizards will add to this as well.

Cheers,
-veebz

Defender
May 24, 2012
199
That drives me insane. I get so tired of a "no chat" wizard asking for help then dragging me all over. I wouldn't mind helping a younger wizard learn the ropes but all they want to do is get their kill count and run off. I won't go anymore. I also get very frustrated with someone popping into my duel circle and stealing my targets. I'm getting to the point where, after I have my 2 count I just pass and they get to kill their own monsters. And I finally just turned off all requests for friends. After a couple strangers popped into my house that was the end of that. I'm hoping that since school started some of that activity will slow down.

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
269
That is gone a bit too far. That is why KI added a hidden to friends button. You should seriously use that instead of complaining!

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
755
oh i would say a lower level wizard like a level 29 trying to fight a boss in say celestia should not gain any rewards at all. they are there to sight see.
and since they can not get the quest they should get no rewards.

rewards and Xp should be based on the level the wizard has in the level.
if your level is for Krokotopia then why should yout get nay Xp or rewards for fighting in Moo Shu?

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
774
hobi wrote:
oh i would say a lower level wizard like a level 29 trying to fight a boss in say celestia should not gain any rewards at all. they are there to sight see.
and since they can not get the quest they should get no rewards.

rewards and Xp should be based on the level the wizard has in the level.
if your level is for Krokotopia then why should yout get nay Xp or rewards for fighting in Moo Shu?


I'm only level 38 and I totally agree with hobi.

Another possible idea is to permit porting of friends into worlds only if they are above a minimum wizard level (different for each world). If they don't meet the minimum level they get the busy notification. This would prevent level 20 wizards from entering Celestia, but maybe a level 45 wizard friend is okay.

These ideas are nice because your favorite questing partner who is only 1 or 2 levels different from you can still join you, but prevent/deter wizards who just don't belong.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
305
vonawesome1 wrote:
I like your idea, except for the "Send Away" option~ there's too much potential for abuse, as kids and young teens (maybe even a few "responsible" adults) will likely start kicking people out of fights, just to be mean. That said, I love the concept of a greyed-out Flee button. It teaches people to finish what they start, to take responsibility for their actions and not quit because something is "too hard".

In the early parts of Avalon, I had a guy on my list who used me as his personal teleport-pad. He was level 27, but would always port to me in the middle of street-fights in High Road (without asking, of course), then flee or beg for healing. It got so bad that I had to remove him~ shame, since he was a nice kid. Perhaps an option like yours could have prevented that.

For example: I'm fighting mobs in Avalon, and get the following message:

"Allison Frostsword, level 46 wants to teleport to you~ allow?"

Click yes and it ports her into the fight.
Click no, and she'll get the "your friend is busy right now" pop-up.

I picked 46 because it's somewhere in the middle. If she was that level and a good friend, whose fighting style I was familiar with, I'd consider letting her port; if she was only an acquaintance, I'd likely say no. Different story, of course, if she was level 66 (pretty safe) or 36 (probably not such a good idea).

-

There could also be a few more options for menu-chat, including:

-May I please port to you?
-Where are you?
-Are you busy right now?
-Does the enemy cheat?

Hopefully, other wizards will add to this as well.

Cheers,
-veebz


There was not a word in there that i disagreed with. Thanks veebz! You saved me the time to type it out! :-)

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
aditha12 wrote:
That is gone a bit too far. That is why KI added a hidden to friends button. You should seriously use that instead of complaining!

I don't want to be hidden from real friends who can help. That's not an option that would work in this scenario. Although I have used it, quite a bit.
And if no one "complains," then no improvements are made. I think the OP has valid ideas.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
99
I do feel simple solutions for this as well as for power leveling in general, KI should lock all worlds that we do not have actual access to on our own, meaning if Ambrose has not given us the key, we can not get there at all. (no porting, no tapestry access, nothing)

Furthermore, all EXP, drops and gold earned in any fights in a higher world than you currently have access to should be restricted to ONLY those wizards who have quests in that world, who have gained the key from Head Master Ambrose.

I doubt they will ever make any of these changes, but it is nice to see others wanting similar things.


Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
864
Only add people around your level and turn teleports off. Problem solved...

Jasmine/Jessica.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
774
[quote=RottenHeart
Another possible idea is to permit porting of friends into worlds only if they are above a minimum wizard level (different for each world). If they don't meet the minimum level they get the busy notification. This would prevent level 20 wizards from entering Celestia, but maybe a level 45 wizard friend is okay.


Sorry but my other personality disagrees with me. I think jennm2203 is correct. Wizards should only have access to levels intended for them, period.

Reason#1:
Access to new worlds should be considered a prize. And it is so much more a prize if you havn't been there before. This week I entered Mooshu for the first time (through proper questing) and what a great experience it was! Everything was new and fantastic! I'm curious as anyone else, and the urge to peek is so strong. But like Christmas, presents are so much better when its a real surprise.

Reason#2:
Entering a higher level world just to scavenge loot and level quickly is just wrong. People who do this are leaches. I've heard arguements on the forum "but I'm just as good a fighter as lots of higher level wizards, cause i'm super smart". Maybe this is true, or maybe you aren't and you just think you are. Maybe you don't understand strategy and more advanced spell features and your apparent survival is at the expence of others!

Survivor
Apr 17, 2010
24
I think they should make a who teleports and who dosent so if you need help with a boss but have no high level friends on set a trustable friend to help

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
774
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
Only add people around your level and turn teleports off. Problem solved...

Jasmine/Jessica.


Good idea but only part of the problem solved. This solution only reduces low level wizards that I have friended and allowed to port in. Not everybody else.

Turning teleports isn't practical anyway. If you play as a complete loner this works, but not when you are playing with a team.

And similar to many other wizards I like to friend/help lower level wizards in the approriate worlds. If they port in to a higher level world where I am questing its hard to tell them to get lost. It comes across as rude and mean. Really tough if they only have menu chat.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
495
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
Only add people around your level and turn teleports off. Problem solved...

Jasmine/Jessica.


I have plenty of low level friends, and the reason why is because they are just fun to be around.

Now, as for the OP's idea, I find it reasonable, but I'm not saying much because I have no arguments I can use. :/

Survivor
May 05, 2012
3
EvilLurker wrote:
For the second time two days I have been asked to assist another wizard in battle. The deal is in each time the wizard did not have a spiral key to the world where I was summoned and the wizard was simply using me to get free loot. For example, today the wizard that summoned me to the Portico was only at level 35 and last night I got summoned to fight Astreaus by a level 29. I ended yup getting killed and popping a bottle before I realized he did not have the quest and didn't have a bit of business trying to fight that boss!

Now I realize that the ability for a lower level wizard to port in to assist another higher level wizard during a duel can be a boon, but on the same token it can get a wizard defeated during a street battle if said low level wizard pops in, drags another enemy into the fight and then chickens out and flees.

Normally in such instances the individual is instantly removed from my friend list, but it is a huge annoyance. KI, in my opinion you need to do something to fix this
and I hope this post does not fall upon deaf ears.

That said may I suggest the following solution... for any wizard that attempts to port to another wizard in a world that they do not yet have a spiral key for they will receive a message saying something along the lines of "Your friend does not need help right now".

If they do port into a duel, then their "flee" button will be greyed out thus forcing
them to fight until they are defeated or the duel is over. At the same time, the wizard whom they ported in on will have the option to "send away" thus sending the wizard back to their point of origin. Additionally upon returning to their point of origin the wizard will have a 60 second countdown timer start... just like when porting from a house or similar location.

I believe the above would strike a fair balance between allowing a wizard to gain valuable experience battling higher level bosses ( not to mention getting some
good loot) while at the same time preventing them from exploiting others and the game in general.

For any wizard that agrees with me, I would ask that they "bump" this thread or if they have a better idea or disagree, then let's hear it.


This is a good idea, cause if you need help from all high level wizards, they might not help, then a low level wizard can come cause they never been there, and make the whole team die when a really good friend is coming. This happened to me in Avalon, high road, I was going to beat jabberwock, when my level 36 friend teleported to me then the battle was full, then my friend that was going to port to me was a level 65 life, and we all died, and in the wyrd, I was facing a boss, and my level 34 death friend ported and two extra enemies came, then he chickened and fled then we had two extra enemies were there but we survived, they should earn their way there in a period of time other than porting, and I didn't ask for help once and they joined, so you should give them a warning, erase them if they do that again, you should erase them, if they friend request you again, decline it, then they will never bother you again.

Justin SkullShard level 75 storm

Survivor
Aug 18, 2012
1
This is why I stopped having friends. I am basically a loner anyway so my only problem is dealing with enemies that seem impossible to beat aby yourself like the coven in Grizzleheim. Too bad you can't give up friends and get a double pip wand.

Friends are overrated.

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
333
lucidious128 wrote:
This is why I stopped having friends. I am basically a loner anyway so my only problem is dealing with enemies that seem impossible to beat aby yourself like the coven in Grizzleheim. Too bad you can't give up friends and get a double pip wand.

Friends are overrated.


Way to be mean, however to the OP: I completely agree. I am tired of lower levels wizards porting and then fleeing, thus adding another enemy for me to deal with, and usually end up dying (i'm storm, you see my problem) Anyways, the greyed out flee button would be great, and along with other people's ideas, add like an option to a friend saying: "allow him/her to teleport" or "hidden to this friend"

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
125
I still think the way to do it is this:

If you do NOT have the key to a particular world, and you port there and battle, you get 1% of the rewards.
This way, people can still port to you for whatever reason, but the incentive to just port because you are in a higher level (cause they think they can power level) will be gone.

Rogan Firehammer


Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
Rogtim wrote:
I still think the way to do it is this:

If you do NOT have the key to a particular world, and you port there and battle, you get 1% of the rewards.
This way, people can still port to you for whatever reason, but the incentive to just port because you are in a higher level (cause they think they can power level) will be gone.

Rogan Firehammer



I like this~ allowing wizards to power-level was a mistake in the first place, and I hope they toss it before it gets any worse (if it can, in fact, get any worse than it is now).

My transcended Death wiz and I were on our way to the Bazaar the other day, when I saw a level 5 wizard asking to be taken to Crimson Fields in Mooshu. There was also a level 18 who asked me to port her into a Celestia dungeon~ I said no to both. I don't power-level my wizards, and I won't do it for yours, either. Earn your own way, people.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
6
Just when they try to port to you ask for your confirmation.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
938
I dont see anything changing guys. Cost to much money an time for them to update this just because a few people have an issue with it.
But if they were to do something maybe make it so that no XP is given in a world you have no key to. This way powerleveling would go away but people who want to port friends in for help could still do this.
By blocking worlds completely just causes problems to those that use lower level help.
There is about 3 threads on this issue already with the same people having issues with it. Check the dates on these threads.........KI is not going to do anything about this, Because its not causing a problem to that many people.
The people that are having issues with lowbies porting in or jumping in, I am sorry for your inconvenience but to block others from using an option is what would be not fair.

1