Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

It's time for a Hardcore mode

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
After the recent nerf on Mirage, many players seeking a greater challenge were left out in the cold. Many of the original "hardcore" areas such as Darkmoor have been nerfed leaving challenge-seeking players with no recourse. As such I and other players would love to see a hardcore mode added to wizard 101, These would be the features of such a hardcore mode:

-Separate from the main game/Own Server: As Wizard 101 is a family-oriented game that tends to lean towards casual play, this server should be made separate. In this way the casual players are free to enjoy the main game to their desires without the hardcore server having an effect on their gameplay.

-The server would be open to all members- Any player could join the hardcore server. However, upon joining the server players would be warned that this server is challenging and will NOT be nerfed.

-No additional charge- Much like PvP or Derby, the hardcore server should be free for members. Crowns players would be able to purchase time passes(the same way PvP and derby work)

-The hardcore server would not be nerfed to accommodate casual desires- As this would be a server for those who enjoy more advanced gameplay, it should not be nerfed by casual player complaints.
Addressing Common Opponent Arguments
-This server would be too costly!
No player on this message boards is a KI market analyst. As such any speculation on costs of such a server is just that-speculation. The server could just as easily make KI a profit as lose it.
-If you want a challenge downgrade yourself!
Many hardcore players don't downgrade themselves for the same reasons many casual players don't upgrade themselves: it's not fun. Just as casual players don't enjoy constantly farming tough dungeons, hardcore players don't enjoy constantly crippling themselves. Each player has their own perspective of fun. All hardcore players would like is for the game to provide some fun for them too.
-Don't like casual play in Wizard 101? Leave.
This argument is the least well thought out of the bunch. For one, why would you actively encourage players to leave the game? The more players that leave Wizard 101 the worse the game becomes for everyone left playing. Less players=less revenue=less fun for everyone.
Secondly, casual play and hardcore play can exist simultaneously. How? Simple: with an easy main game and hardcore side areas. In this way each segment of the player base has something to appeal to their tastes. This model works for many many popular, casual, family games such as Super Smash Brothers and Pokemon.
Finally, no one group of players has a monopoly on updates. KI games are made of a diverse group of people. PvPers and PvE, Casual and Hardcore, Derby and Housing, Fisherwizards and Gardenwitches. The more content we can have to appeal to the diverse groups of Wizard 101 the better.
In conclusion, it's high time for a hardcore mode!

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
It's time Kingsisle. Please consider this request seriously. Casual players are correct in saying this game can't survive if they leave. There is a flip-side to that coin, it's not going to survive without hardcore players either. Right now you aren't doing anything to cater to us.

So that you don't have to constantly deal with hearing this debate, because it's not going to stop. Do something to satisfy your hardcore players besides letting us have a few weeks of running around the latest update before you nerf it.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
Hi there, I hope you take my reply as intended I do not wish to cause any upset. I have thought allot about how to cater to those looking for a challenge while keeping those more casual players also happy. I am not entirely sold on the idea of a different server for "hardcore"players. Let me explain why. Having any sort of separate server in istelf causes problems what happens to gear acquired in one server, will it automatically appear in the other? What if gear is only attainable on one server or the hardcore mode means you lose a piece of equipment or such? What about pet hatching, since talents and stats etc are random and set at hatch how will that work for both servers? what happens if you come across some troll who deliberately causes your team to lose and your left with losing equipment or a wizard? These are just some problems with implementing a "hardcore"server. So you may ask how can those looking for a challenge be content as well as those more causal players then? The way I see it there is 2 options Ki colld look at either separately or combined. Some time ago we used to have a crafted set available which could compete with the farmable sets eg - Wintertusk vs Waterworks which allowed dungeons to remain difficult but give those with less time or no inclination to farm a set which although not as perfect as farmed was equally useful. Ki could invest in more craftable or even viable crown sets at higher levels. We could have different dungeons of varying diffiuclty offering different tiers of the same set for example a easy darkmoor dungeon offers tier 3 moderate offers tier 2 and hardest offers tier one.Allowing players of all types somewhere to farm within their comfort zone. Wizard101 being a family game should be about inclusion not separation, we should be looking for ways to include all levels of play not going and splitting it up in my opinion.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 26, 2017 wrote:
After the recent nerf on Mirage, many players seeking a greater challenge were left out in the cold. Many of the original "hardcore" areas such as Darkmoor have been nerfed leaving challenge-seeking players with no recourse. As such I and other players would love to see a hardcore mode added to wizard 101, These would be the features of such a hardcore mode:

-Separate from the main game/Own Server: As Wizard 101 is a family-oriented game that tends to lean towards casual play, this server should be made separate. In this way the casual players are free to enjoy the main game to their desires without the hardcore server having an effect on their gameplay.

-The server would be open to all members- Any player could join the hardcore server. However, upon joining the server players would be warned that this server is challenging and will NOT be nerfed.

-No additional charge- Much like PvP or Derby, the hardcore server should be free for members. Crowns players would be able to purchase time passes(the same way PvP and derby work)

-The hardcore server would not be nerfed to accommodate casual desires- As this would be a server for those who enjoy more advanced gameplay, it should not be nerfed by casual player complaints.
Addressing Common Opponent Arguments
-This server would be too costly!
No player on this message boards is a KI market analyst. As such any speculation on costs of such a server is just that-speculation. The server could just as easily make KI a profit as lose it.
-If you want a challenge downgrade yourself!
Many hardcore players don't downgrade themselves for the same reasons many casual players don't upgrade themselves: it's not fun. Just as casual players don't enjoy constantly farming tough dungeons, hardcore players don't enjoy constantly crippling themselves. Each player has their own perspective of fun. All hardcore players would like is for the game to provide some fun for them too.
-Don't like casual play in Wizard 101? Leave.
This argument is the least well thought out of the bunch. For one, why would you actively encourage players to leave the game? The more players that leave Wizard 101 the worse the game becomes for everyone left playing. Less players=less revenue=less fun for everyone.
Secondly, casual play and hardcore play can exist simultaneously. How? Simple: with an easy main game and hardcore side areas. In this way each segment of the player base has something to appeal to their tastes. This model works for many many popular, casual, family games such as Super Smash Brothers and Pokemon.
Finally, no one group of players has a monopoly on updates. KI games are made of a diverse group of people. PvPers and PvE, Casual and Hardcore, Derby and Housing, Fisherwizards and Gardenwitches. The more content we can have to appeal to the diverse groups of Wizard 101 the better.
In conclusion, it's high time for a hardcore mode!
You forgot to mention it would ease the tensions for everyone when they come here to post about an issue. The Friction has become a problem on the forums on many things and this particular topic has been the one to be hit the hardest.

Hope KI really takes a look at this option.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
dizzydiana73 on Feb 27, 2017 wrote:
Hi there, I hope you take my reply as intended I do not wish to cause any upset. I have thought allot about how to cater to those looking for a challenge while keeping those more casual players also happy. I am not entirely sold on the idea of a different server for "hardcore"players. Let me explain why. Having any sort of separate server in istelf causes problems what happens to gear acquired in one server, will it automatically appear in the other? What if gear is only attainable on one server or the hardcore mode means you lose a piece of equipment or such? What about pet hatching, since talents and stats etc are random and set at hatch how will that work for both servers? what happens if you come across some troll who deliberately causes your team to lose and your left with losing equipment or a wizard? These are just some problems with implementing a "hardcore"server. So you may ask how can those looking for a challenge be content as well as those more causal players then? The way I see it there is 2 options Ki colld look at either separately or combined. Some time ago we used to have a crafted set available which could compete with the farmable sets eg - Wintertusk vs Waterworks which allowed dungeons to remain difficult but give those with less time or no inclination to farm a set which although not as perfect as farmed was equally useful. Ki could invest in more craftable or even viable crown sets at higher levels. We could have different dungeons of varying diffiuclty offering different tiers of the same set for example a easy darkmoor dungeon offers tier 3 moderate offers tier 2 and hardest offers tier one.Allowing players of all types somewhere to farm within their comfort zone. Wizard101 being a family game should be about inclusion not separation, we should be looking for ways to include all levels of play not going and splitting it up in my opinion.
That depends on how it works. As I envision it the hardcore server would not be a separate login but simply a separate realm that you could choose from the realm selection screen. As I envision it when leaving the casual server a checkpoint is made on the casual realm. That way if you are a casual player and you die in the hardcore mode(assuming permadeath is implemented) everything is erased that occurred in the hardcore realm but your character is safe in the casual realm. When you leave the hardcore realm(assuming survival) the checkpoint is erased. Anything you earn in either realm is transferable since you are in effect just realm hopping.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
dizzydiana73 on Feb 27, 2017 wrote:
The gear and pets would not be affected by having separate servers. That would only increase friction and should be left alone. I WILL however say that those on the Hardcore server do deserve to have an occasional piece or set of gear that would serve them better but for all other purposes, those aspects should be available across both servers.

I would hope that KI would NOT set the Hardcore servers to a death mode for any wizard. That would only create more problems. The Hardcore players work just as hard or harder than most to attain their goals and as such should not lose any wizard or Item. I have seen a suggestion of a possible "timer" for a wizard who has died in battle, but If that is added to one server, I think at some point it would also be added to the casual side. I would be careful what I wished for.

Yes, we did have crafting alternatives to the best gear drops in the game and for whatever reason that has change, no one is saying. For those who don't have the time or inclination to farm the dungeons like Darkmoor, there should be the option to craft.

KI has already implemented Hardcore aspects to the game we play now. THAT is where there is a lot of friction on the boards because casual players can't do it. Average players like myself have a hard time with most of those options but I also have friends willing to help. The idea of a separate server for Hardcore content has actually been the best idea yet and it would work. Hardcore players would no longer demand more challenging content on the casual side but by the same token, casual players can go and attempt to run the hardcore BUT, CAN NOT demand it be nerfed for them. The game itself would be the same in all aspects EXCEPT the difficulty.

The biggest issue for many players is the drop rate of gear or much needed reagents. This is why many are tired of farming for something and getting nothing.

The idea has a lot of merit and I support it.