Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Increase drop rate on good rares in boosters

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Wizard101 developers if you read this please take it into consideration.
People are getting very frustrated with the drop rates on boosters anymore. My son just spent over 50000 crowns in the past 3 days and did not get anything except poor items that are not used and cannot sell, Reagents that we dont need, Snacks that arent near as good as mega snacks, Minstrel pets that usually go in the trash cause cant sell them either. So really he got nothing. The new cards in the packs people are trying for need to have the drop rate increased. I understand they are ultra rares but seriously thats a bit much. Hes been trying for deer knight so i figured we would give him a bunch of crowns for his birthday and he should get one with the amount but nope. I was pretty amazed with these numbers and would really love to know what type of algorythm or drope rate percentage is on these cards.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I disagree on this one. The more you increase the chance,the less "epic" it is for the people who are fortunate enough to get them. I say keep it the way it is. Sorry.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
I actually think this is bad luck at its worst I usually spend 5000 crowns not 50000 and get 2 or 3 pieces of armor and 2 pets and other goodies Idk but what you wrote is hard to believe sorry but may I ask which pack because it may be a result of that Btw Did he spend them all on one pack

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
The spell cards are like an epic drop, so rare that it's less than 1% drop rate. If your son really wants the card, it is craftable, but it takes a bit of time and patience to make. The trainer for it is in avalon. Not a great alternative, but it is available.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger wrote:
People are getting very frustrated with the drop rates on boosters anymore. My son just spent over 50000 crowns in the past 3 days and did not get anything except poor items that are not used and cannot sell, Reagents that we dont need, Snacks that arent near as good as mega snacks, Minstrel pets that usually go in the trash cause cant sell them either. So really he got nothing. The new cards in the packs people are trying for need to have the drop rate increased. I understand they are ultra rares but seriously thats a bit much. Hes been trying for deer knight so i figured we would give him a bunch of crowns for his birthday and he should get one with the amount but nope. I was pretty amazed with these numbers and would really love to know what type of algorythm or drope rate percentage is on these cards.

I'm sorry this happened, but your son only ever had a very-slim chance at the spell. It's a dice-roll, a chance-to-get; you are made aware of this before purchasing, as it's stated on the website in numerous places, so I don't understand why people keep complaining about it.

Like mounts and certain pets, spells from that pack are Epic/Ultra Rare, meaning that your chances of getting one are <5%. As well, your odds reset every time you buy a pack~ this means that, for example, if your odds of getting the spell are 1/100, you are not guaranteed a spell for every 100 packs you buy.

Just FYI: Deer Knight is a craftable spell, albeit one that requires a lot of reagents, time and effort~ either pay the fine or do the time, so to speak. And you can sell those Minstrel pets (though I have no idea why you'd want to, since they're pretty rare themselves) at any vendor, except the Bazaar/auction house.

All packs are completely random~ you spend crowns for a chance at the epic/ultra-rare items. Again, I'm sorry that your son was disappointed, but let this be a lesson to you~ don't spend more than you're comfortable losing.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth.
-Laura/veebz

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
Quite a while ago, someone suggested being able to bet on PvP matches. Of course, KI jumped right on that and said that there would never be gambling in the spiral.

But the hoard packs, with the possibility of "big payouts" in the form of mounts, "epic" pets, and spells, demonstrate "slot machine" mentality at it's finest.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
af6at wrote:
Quite a while ago, someone suggested being able to bet on PvP matches. Of course, KI jumped right on that and said that there would never be gambling in the spiral.

But the hoard packs, with the possibility of "big payouts" in the form of mounts, "epic" pets, and spells, demonstrate "slot machine" mentality at it's finest.

Wrong. With slot machines,and other forms of true gambling, you have a chance to win something,but you may not win anything. With the hoard packs,you get something with every purchase,and you also have a chance at some epic items to go along with it.

Survivor
May 26, 2010
I feel your pain. I once bought 131 hydra hoards. Yes I actually counted. I was just trying for a misty mountain manadolin. In the process I got 2 hydra mounts and about 8 of every other wand. But the prize in my opinion was worth it. KI really should increase the drop rates of those things. Plus the hydra mount is the rarest item in that hoard not the ice manadolin. If the rpize is worth it you shouldnt ever give up. My only advice would be to keep buying them, I know its feeding the beast that killed you technically, but the odds just keep slightly going up for you every time.
Good Luck!

~Jacob SunHammer

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Bummer that your son went through that many crowns on card packs. My kids get wide eyed every time a new pack comes out.
I have decided that I will not give them any crowns, but if they choose they can hand me cash and I will buy them for them. That seems to help as they see the money changing hands.
As for the spells, I have never tried to get one in a pack. I have been crafting the Deer Knight for about a month. I will be done with Avalon before I can actually craft it (1 of 12 amber) so it isn't like the spell is actually going to be useful. Just something to do to break up the monotony of fighting 3-4k health mobs that start with 4-6 power pips per fight.
pods

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Well you get the fun of gambling so thats something i guess. Anything that is paying for chance is gambling plain an simple. I agree the drop rate should be increased. If this was anything like a normal card game and i would buy a box of boosters i would get at least one ultra rare.

Explorer
Apr 02, 2011
Weird I always get a pet and the intire oudfit on the first try and then on the fith try I get the mount.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
IceWarlord1380 on Oct 8, 2012 wrote:
Weird I always get a pet and the intire oudfit on the first try and then on the fith try I get the mount.
Man i wish i had that luck with every pack lol.

Most of the items i usually receive go to the bazaar because there worthless. End up with around 400 gold after sales so 399 crowns per pack and receive 400 gold so thats almost 1 gold for 1 crown WOW What a Deal.................... Wait no thats a rip off.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Not to be rude, but it is completely your sons fault for using that many crowns... I would go into all the other info on it, but the others covered it.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Why is that. If you want something you gamble for it. So who are you to say how much should be spent know what i mean.

Im upset that alot of people seem very unlucky when it comes to packs but to start telling people they should or shouldnt spend their crowns is utterly silly.

Defender
Mar 09, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Oct 2, 2012 wrote:
I feel terrible for you and your son, and i agree that they should definitely increase your chance, as some people would put it, of gaining something valuable. I have no clue how much money i've wasted on the Dragon's Hoard pack in an attempt to gain the bone dragon mount, but like many people need to on any average day, i make the best of what i've got. I use the armor that is given to me, and i've trained my pet and hatched with a hound and got a truely EPIC fierce hound whom i've come to name Chance. He's saved my life many times and the armor allows me to never fizzle. And btw, you can sell those items you don't want. You may not be able to sell it in the Bazaar, but i've come to learn that you can sell ANY unwanted item at the Wizard City Hat Shop. My parents resent the fact that i continue to waste my money on hoard packs, but sadly, i've been sucked into the inescapable vortex known as gambling. Luckily this isn't the watch-my-life-waste-away-on-the-chance-i-might-win kinda gambling.