Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

i want to use free chat but i cantChangeMySetAge

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 09, 2015
you should update and send notification to everyone on to make them register a birth day. I cant talk about my favorite things! I want to!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
protokirby on Mar 7, 2017 wrote:
you should update and send notification to everyone on to make them register a birth day. I cant talk about my favorite things! I want to!
KI has never tracked birth dates. They are required when registering to play. Once the account has been created, that date of birth disappears. The only reason they are required when registering is to determine if a player is old enough for any form of text chat. Even those of us who are 18+ will not have birth dates stored by KI.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
DragonLady1818 on Mar 7, 2017 wrote:
KI has never tracked birth dates. They are required when registering to play. Once the account has been created, that date of birth disappears. The only reason they are required when registering is to determine if a player is old enough for any form of text chat. Even those of us who are 18+ will not have birth dates stored by KI.
That is incorrect. KI only stores and tracks your age if it was originally put as at least 13.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
BrahmShadow on Mar 8, 2017 wrote:
That is incorrect. KI only stores and tracks your age if it was originally put as at least 13.
Sorry, KI still does not track age. If you create an account with an age of 13+, there are certain options that are opened for you even if a parent sets up the account. If a CC is used at the time of set up, and remains intact with the account until it is changed at a later date, then only the parent can change the settings. But, KI does have a policy for security and safety reasons for their customers of NOT storing or tracking age.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
BrahmShadow on Mar 8, 2017 wrote:
So when i signed up if it was younger than 13 I never 'grow older'? I won't ever be able to become 18 since I started before 13???

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
XaZeRs on Mar 8, 2017 wrote:
So when i signed up if it was younger than 13 I never 'grow older'? I won't ever be able to become 18 since I started before 13???

You can find information under the "Help" section. But, here is the info regarding your question.

3. How do I get Text Chat?
If you are unable to use the chat function, it is possible that your account does not have Text Chat enabled. Accounts set up as over 13 players are able to use the Text Chat.

You may also simply have the Chat Bubbles turned off. You can turn the chat bubbles on and off by pressing the letter O on your keyboard.

If you have an account that is over 13 and still cannot chat you might need to enable the feature. To enable you must login to Wizard101.com and select "My Accounts". Under the "Account Management" section login to your parental controls and click on the 'enable' button located next to the 'filtered text' option.

Text Chat for players with under 13 accounts can only be turned on by a parent/guardian over age 18. The parent/guardian must validate his/her age by buying a Membership or Crowns with a valid credit card.

If you have previously been able to use Text Chat and no longer can access it, it is possible that you have been reported for harassment or other misconduct. Please contact Customer Support using the "Ask a Question" button on the Help & Support page.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
4. How do I get Open Chat?
Members who are over the age of 18, and have a valid credit card on file with us, can enable the 18+ Open Chat. Gift Cards cannot be used to unlock Open Chat.

Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players.

This chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active credit card Member community only.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Currently Active Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.

18+ Open Chat will expire when the Membership expires.

Survivor
May 01, 2009
In my opinion I don't think this is a good idea. I've been playing the game for a while and while yes I could put in a credit card number to get text chat but I don't trust that idea. It would be convenient if those who at least use a PayPal account could have access to Text Chat.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
XaZeRs on Mar 8, 2017 wrote:

If you put your age as younger than 13, then you will never get open chat, because it is illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are under 13. Therefore, your account will never age.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
DragonLady1818 on Mar 8, 2017 wrote:
Sorry, KI still does not track age. If you create an account with an age of 13+, there are certain options that are opened for you even if a parent sets up the account. If a CC is used at the time of set up, and remains intact with the account until it is changed at a later date, then only the parent can change the settings. But, KI does have a policy for security and safety reasons for their customers of NOT storing or tracking age.
May I ask where you are getting this information from? I specifically emailed Kingsisle asking how this age stuff works, and I am simply relaying exactly what they told me.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
BrahmShadow on Mar 10, 2017 wrote:
May I ask where you are getting this information from? I specifically emailed Kingsisle asking how this age stuff works, and I am simply relaying exactly what they told me.
If you look at the top of almost any page on this site, you will see""? Help""".

There is some information answering PREVIOUSLY asked questions.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
DragonLady1818 on Mar 10, 2017 wrote:
If you look at the top of almost any page on this site, you will see""? Help""".

There is some information answering PREVIOUSLY asked questions.
Yes, however Kingsisle has already stated that the information in the Open Chat section there is outdated.