Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I have a "problem" with limited time things.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
So, to my knowledge there has been two limited time events to date,
and both were pretty awesome according to the LPs I've seen on Youtube.

There has also been a considerable amount of items to make an appearance and then no longer be offered
for who knows how long.

Here's the problem- I don't think limited time items or events are a good idea.
(Not just because I missed out on them myself mind you.)

Now, I know there's a marketing/financial reason for these events and offers-
a bundle doesn't sell well for awhile and you let everyone know
"Hey, this bundle's gonna go, buy it while you can"
and people do. I noticed that more and more people bought the Olympian Bundle when it was making it's grand exit.

That's very good, since this game needs as much income as it can get.
Maintaining the game, incentive for the developers to come out with new stuff, the money (not by itself of course) makes it all worthwhile and keeps the wheel turning.

Events may involve people buying better gear and exp. and attack and defense elixirs so they can complete the event before it goes bye bye.

This is good, and necessary. Players need a reason to continue financially supporting this game and having fun while doing so.

but what about players who don't have much cash to spend-what about players without much time to devote?
Those players ultimately end up missing out on some cool stuff that they may not ever have a chance to enjoy later on.

I guess what I'm asking is this- is it worth the regret for all the players who come after?
Obviously it's not like you're deliberately doing this to make people feel remorseful.

Such is the result of the current system however.
As someone with much experience with MMORPGs, I can tell you-
many players have left games before because they just kept missing out.

The reason I stopped playing World of Warcraft is similar-
I had just joined too late (several years too late)

Everyone I saw had exclusive items and were talking about these events that didn't reoccur seasonally...
giveaways that they had benefited from that I'd never be able to...

It's just something to think about.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2012
While I'm sure there are some things that kingsisle will never repeat, I'm also sure that there are many things they will. We've seen things like the Halloween vegetable quest come back. And while I may be wrong about this, I think the book of lost pages storyline has had two runs as well. Besides, nobody ever really talks about how great the gear from limited events is. They're all to busy spending hours farming things like waterworks and Tartarus that are always there, so don't complain about how youre not able to get limited items that are worse than the normal ones. And besides, If it means keeping their customers happy, kingsisle will always bring back limited time material. That's what I like to think, anyway.
David Dreamcatcher, level 55

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
There's been very few items retired "permanently" even those that do come back at various times like Throwback Thursdays and House-a-palooza. As far as game events like BOXES and Book of Lost Pages, those repeat every few months. The limited time membership/crowns sales cycle monthly throughout the year. Member benefits are limited time, but also repeat. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
seethe42 on May 18, 2015 wrote:
There's been very few items retired "permanently" even those that do come back at various times like Throwback Thursdays and House-a-palooza. As far as game events like BOXES and Book of Lost Pages, those repeat every few months. The limited time membership/crowns sales cycle monthly throughout the year. Member benefits are limited time, but also repeat. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.
They repeat every few months?
I think this is an exaggeration-
I too have seen a return of the lost pages event-
once after the end of the debut of the boxes event.

So, including the original run, the lost pages event has run twice,
and the boxes event has run once.

or am I very much mistaken?
I don't think I am.

It wouldn't be worth mentioning if it did reoccur like season events or like periodic sales do,
but is such actually the case?

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
Pokopolypse on May 18, 2015 wrote:
While I'm sure there are some things that kingsisle will never repeat, I'm also sure that there are many things they will. We've seen things like the Halloween vegetable quest come back. And while I may be wrong about this, I think the book of lost pages storyline has had two runs as well. Besides, nobody ever really talks about how great the gear from limited events is. They're all to busy spending hours farming things like waterworks and Tartarus that are always there, so don't complain about how youre not able to get limited items that are worse than the normal ones. And besides, If it means keeping their customers happy, kingsisle will always bring back limited time material. That's what I like to think, anyway.
David Dreamcatcher, level 55
Even if it's not mentioned or talked about in abundance people do talk and new players will ask- plus even without conversation, it's there.

I've seen plenty of people with the badges-
plenty of people with pogosticks-

plenty of people with other items that are no longer available.

It's not devastating,
but it can be a bit of a bummer.

I see them and I start thinking-
"Man, I wish I had been there."
"Man, I wish I had some disposable income that month."
etc. etc.

I've said this on other forums and I'll say it again on this one-
Limited time items create a permanent sense of regret.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Mister Peanut on May 19, 2015 wrote:
They repeat every few months?
I think this is an exaggeration-
I too have seen a return of the lost pages event-
once after the end of the debut of the boxes event.

So, including the original run, the lost pages event has run twice,
and the boxes event has run once.

or am I very much mistaken?
I don't think I am.

It wouldn't be worth mentioning if it did reoccur like season events or like periodic sales do,
but is such actually the case?
Lost Pages has been going for 2 years now, it's on it's 5th repeat so far. BOXES Only started last Oct and repeated again in Jan, so it's safe to say it will repeat again in the same way Lost Pages has. They appear to repeat twice a year so far.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
seethe42 on May 19, 2015 wrote:
Lost Pages has been going for 2 years now, it's on it's 5th repeat so far. BOXES Only started last Oct and repeated again in Jan, so it's safe to say it will repeat again in the same way Lost Pages has. They appear to repeat twice a year so far.
Seriously?...
Is this really true?...
Well...shoot...
I must not be very observant at all then...

Can someone official please confirm or deny this-
because if this is really the case, it really does render my complaint mute.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2012
Mister Peanut on May 19, 2015 wrote:
Seriously?...
Is this really true?...
Well...shoot...
I must not be very observant at all then...

Can someone official please confirm or deny this-
because if this is really the case, it really does render my complaint mute.
This seems to be the case. The Book of Lost Pages event is going on now, actually.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
I agreed: limited time events are sometimes repeated, sometimes not gone permanently, and it can create a sense of regret. The biggest question about this is "When will be the next event of this type?". Especially when it's a new or unpredictable event. All you can do is hope that the event was successful and KI will repeat it.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2014
Pokopolypse on May 20, 2015 wrote:
This seems to be the case. The Book of Lost Pages event is going on now, actually.
Yes, I saw the announcement.
I'm currently working on trying to get to Avalon and Azteca before the event ends in 6 days.

(got a headache from playing to much in one sitting)

Defender
Nov 12, 2013
I know what you mean man, there this incredible staff, it glistens black and at the top is a swirling sparkling blue crystal. I always wonder where they got it because I really want it for my ice wiz. Hopefully the contest for it might someday return, just maybe.