Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does the stats work?

AuthorMessage
Historian
Jun 17, 2014
alright i'm wondering this for a while, even had a hard time explaining this to people.

how does damage and resistance work..... lets say i have 50points in resistance... do i have an automatic tower shield forever.. and adding one means i take 0 damage from anything because i have 100% resistance..... or is it just 50 points knocked off the hit......

attack is more confusing..... say i use a 400 meteor..... i have 50points in fire damage.... does that become 450 or is it times... 20000 damage.... and adding blades that increase % how is this math made.....

i always wondered this... is it +# or +% if +# thats easy to calculate, but then questions how do you make 1M damage without hours of blading.... and +% how? i understand it's simple when playing the game.... but how? and % shouldnt be here, % is a chance.... critical, pips, accuracy, block, stun... those are chances.. you do it or not... if i repeat the same blades/traps/ spell every time with no outside sources to disrupt it... i do the same damage every time... it's not if i do 1000.... i will do 1000..... how do you add a %(chance) to it.... thats saying this 40% iceblade, might do 40%, might do 0% who knows

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Resist and Attack come in both forms, +# and +%. +50% resist is like having a permanent Tower shield and lowers all damage by half. +50 lowers damage by a flat 50 points. If you look at your character stats there are two slots for each. Top is percent, bottom is flat. +% is more powerful. It's not a % chance, it's a % multiplier. If you cast an attack that does base damage of 400 for example. +50% damage makes it 600 damage (400 x 1.5 = 600). If you have +50 damage it does 450 damage. If you have both it's 650 damage.

Blades, traps, globals, auras, charms and shields are all percentages, NOT chances. They add/subtract by multiplying. A +25% blade, +30% blade, -20% charm, -50% shield would be (1.25 x 1.3 x 0.8 x 0.5 x base damage) = (.65 x base). Which would mean you do 65% of base damage total.
Positive boosts are multiplied by (1 + % as a decimal). Negative charms/shields and resist are multiplied by (1 - % as a decimal). So a 25% blade is multipled by 1.25 and a 25% shield is multiplied by .75.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
camahawk on Oct 6, 2016 wrote:
alright i'm wondering this for a while, even had a hard time explaining this to people.

how does damage and resistance work..... lets say i have 50points in resistance... do i have an automatic tower shield forever.. and adding one means i take 0 damage from anything because i have 100% resistance..... or is it just 50 points knocked off the hit......

attack is more confusing..... say i use a 400 meteor..... i have 50points in fire damage.... does that become 450 or is it times... 20000 damage.... and adding blades that increase % how is this math made.....

i always wondered this... is it +# or +% if +# thats easy to calculate, but then questions how do you make 1M damage without hours of blading.... and +% how? i understand it's simple when playing the game.... but how? and % shouldnt be here, % is a chance.... critical, pips, accuracy, block, stun... those are chances.. you do it or not... if i repeat the same blades/traps/ spell every time with no outside sources to disrupt it... i do the same damage every time... it's not if i do 1000.... i will do 1000..... how do you add a %(chance) to it.... thats saying this 40% iceblade, might do 40%, might do 0% who knows
I get what you're trying to say.

If you have 50% resistance, and you get hit by a meteor that does 500 damage normally, you would take 250 damage. If you also have a tower shield on, the damage would be decreased by another 50%, so you would take only 125 damage. The resistances do not stack up to equal 100% resist, but rather, they are applied separately. If you have flat resist from Jewels, say for example 30 flat resist, then once all the shields are applied to reduce the damage, then the total damage you take would be decreased by 30. So in the case of you getting hit by that meteor and taking only 125 because of your tower shield, you would take 95 damage only, as 125 - 30 = 95.

If you use a meteor that does 400 damage normally and you have a 50% damage boost, the attack would do 50% more damage, so in this case it would do 600. If you have a 40% blade, the attack would do 40% more damage, so in the case of your meteor doing 600 damage, 600 x 1.4 would make it do 840 damage. If you have flat damage given by Jewels, say for example 30 flat damage, your attack would do 30 more damage, which would make it do 870.

This is how damage is calculated when you select a spell.

(Card intital damage + Sun enchant damage) x (the percent damage your gear gives) x (the percent damage boost the blades give) + (any flat damage boost Jewels give).

I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your last paragraph.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
It's percentage on the top circle and the bottom circle is not. 400 meteor with 50% damage will do 600 damage.