Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Grizzleheim Trivia

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
It's asked what the Ravens want to bring about, except the options give some interesting concepts as to another Grizzleheim expansion. The answer, as most of you will know, is 'The Everwinter, to cover the world in ice:' (also, the colon should be a full stop/period). But other options include:

'The Wagner Cycle, to cover the world in grendels.'

This is a reference to 'Der Ring des Nibelungen' which to summarise is Germanic-Norse mythology and LoTR. But I can't see much connection to grendels in anything about the book, so I'm guessing this was to just have a fourth option.

'The Jormungandr, to cover the world in storms.'

Now Jormungandr, in Norse mythology, was a child of Loki also known as the World Serpent or Midgard Serpent. In Ragnarok, Thor, Jormungandr's archenemy, will fight Jormugandr and defeat him, except Thor will walk nine paces before falling dead from the serpent's venom. Now this ouroboros/sea serpent could certainly be linked to storms, but I doubt that's going to be the expansion (if there is one)

'The Fiery Sons of Muspell, to cover the world in flames.'

Now this is what I'm interested in. Muspell, or more commonly Muspelheim or Muspelheimr, is the land of fire and fire giants in Norse mythology. But the 'Fiery Sons of Muspell' don't fit, unless you look at Snorri Sturluson's Gylfaginning:

'In the midst of this clash and din the heavens are rent in twain, and the sons of Muspell come riding through the opening. Surtr rides first, and before him and after him flames burning fire. He has a very good sword, which shines brighter than the sun. As they ride over Bifrost it breaks to pieces, as has before been stated. The sons of Muspel direct their course to the plain which is called Vigrid.... The sons of Muspel have there effulgent bands alone by themselves.'

This suggests, especially if it were to be recreated in W101, that Surtr (King of Muspelheim) would siege the World Tree's Rainbow Bridge (Bifrost), before heading to face the gods of Asgard at Vigrid. Now the World Tree of Norse mythology is Yggdrasil, from which hangs every world, and the parallels between Yggdrasil and Bartleby are quite obvious. In an expansion of this sort, we would travel to another world besides the Midgard Grizzleheim seems to be and the Jotenheim of Wintertusk. The only place currently in-game like this is Nidavellir; home of the dwarves. Now if perhaps we were to travel through that Sun Door in Nidavellir, we could encounter a world of fire like Muspelheim. So what fiery dwarves do we know of that could warm the cold of the warm tree.

Ignus Ferric, who I've called previously my least favourite Arcanum scholar, could turn out to be key in saving Bartleby. Or maybe it'd be another side world in which Surtr helps Bartleby with the mysterious cold. Either way, I think that trivia question gave more detail than it needed to and cogs in my brain started whirring.