Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gifting area access

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
I think there should be a section in the crowns shop where you can gift one of your friends access to a certain area. For example, Tartarus. I can't stress enough how many times I needed my friend to come in and he or she couldn't, and if I could I'd pay the crowns for them to have access to the area. This is how it would work:
1. You open the crowns shop
2. There's a new section that says area access
3. There are subcategories for each world, you pick one
4. The subcategories are divided into areas, and you can pick any area you want to gift to your friend
5. Before buying the area, it would check to see if the wizard already has access to the location, and if the wizard does then it would say that the wizard already has access to it
6. If the wizard doesn't have access, the gifting would go through and the wizard would get a notification in a tutorial tip that [insert name] gifted you [insert area].

Even if it costed 100 more crowns to gift to a friend, I'd say it's totally worth it. And I'd love to see us being able to gift tournament/ranked PvP access to team up with a friend so you can both rank up.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
150
I support this idea. It would make it easier to play with friends who aren't deeply into the game, and should let KI make a little extra in crown sales. Seems like a win-win to me.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
278
PvP King on Apr 19, 2014 wrote:
I think there should be a section in the crowns shop where you can gift one of your friends access to a certain area. For example, Tartarus. I can't stress enough how many times I needed my friend to come in and he or she couldn't, and if I could I'd pay the crowns for them to have access to the area. This is how it would work:
1. You open the crowns shop
2. There's a new section that says area access
3. There are subcategories for each world, you pick one
4. The subcategories are divided into areas, and you can pick any area you want to gift to your friend
5. Before buying the area, it would check to see if the wizard already has access to the location, and if the wizard does then it would say that the wizard already has access to it
6. If the wizard doesn't have access, the gifting would go through and the wizard would get a notification in a tutorial tip that [insert name] gifted you [insert area].

Even if it costed 100 more crowns to gift to a friend, I'd say it's totally worth it. And I'd love to see us being able to gift tournament/ranked PvP access to team up with a friend so you can both rank up.
um i like the ideal but i really don't want kl to do it because begger would start pop up ever were never leaving you alone crashing you party just to ask if you would gift them over and over
it a great ideal but a bad one because all the people who don't have crowns will start asking even more and harder tell you do and i think there only so many you can put on the ignore list
95 wizard

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
sliver moon wolf on Apr 19, 2014 wrote:
um i like the ideal but i really don't want kl to do it because begger would start pop up ever were never leaving you alone crashing you party just to ask if you would gift them over and over
it a great ideal but a bad one because all the people who don't have crowns will start asking even more and harder tell you do and i think there only so many you can put on the ignore list
95 wizard
If people ask for you to gift them things, simply don't reply. Nothing should be held back because of how people beg in the Commons.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4163
sliver moon wolf on Apr 19, 2014 wrote:
um i like the ideal but i really don't want kl to do it because begger would start pop up ever were never leaving you alone crashing you party just to ask if you would gift them over and over
it a great ideal but a bad one because all the people who don't have crowns will start asking even more and harder tell you do and i think there only so many you can put on the ignore list
95 wizard
Beggars will always beg, this won't affect that at all. The fact that areas aren't cheap will actually keep the begging down somewhat. Most beggars want a cardpack or a hatching potion.

That aside, there is an issue with this idea that I can see. You have no way of knowing what areas another player has, there would need to be some failsafe in place to prevent gifting them an area they already own. Other than that I think it's a great idea.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
126
DanTheTerrible2 on Apr 19, 2014 wrote:
I support this idea. It would make it easier to play with friends who aren't deeply into the game, and should let KI make a little extra in crown sales. Seems like a win-win to me.
Agreed.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
278
i do ignore them like don't talk but they don't go away and i know it wont stop but it will make it worst and sometimes they yous cheats to get into you house and start being you
that's why i think these is a bad ideal to do if they do do it i mean you can't report them for it because there not saying anything bad and it be a false report so you stuck listening or trying to get away when they will just keep spamming you text box and i really dont want it to get worst if they make these update then plz just make sure to make it were you can report players for begging to much and not leaving you alone because i like these ideal but it is a bad ideal if you can't stop begging like have a beggar report butten hit it 10 times on one player in some amount of times they should not be able to talk for the rest of the day i don't think they should get banded or anything can't say anything for one day i like to see these ideal because then i could gift my friend who dont got anything some zones for his birthday
95wizard

Survivor
Jan 29, 2012
37
sliver moon wolf on Apr 21, 2014 wrote:
i do ignore them like don't talk but they don't go away and i know it wont stop but it will make it worst and sometimes they yous cheats to get into you house and start being you
that's why i think these is a bad ideal to do if they do do it i mean you can't report them for it because there not saying anything bad and it be a false report so you stuck listening or trying to get away when they will just keep spamming you text box and i really dont want it to get worst if they make these update then plz just make sure to make it were you can report players for begging to much and not leaving you alone because i like these ideal but it is a bad ideal if you can't stop begging like have a beggar report butten hit it 10 times on one player in some amount of times they should not be able to talk for the rest of the day i don't think they should get banded or anything can't say anything for one day i like to see these ideal because then i could gift my friend who dont got anything some zones for his birthday
95wizard
I read both of your posts.

I had a bit of trouble though. Please fix your spelling and grammar.
Ideal? You obviously don't know the definition of ideal. Example: This is an ideal place to cast the spell. Ideal isn't another word for idea. Please fix that.

Parties shouldn't even exist in this game. This is a child's game. Not an adult. Adults can play, but partying is unacceptable.

Ignore beggars. Turn off ports, if they use cheats to get to you. Another tip: don't hang around in the Commons. Add the people you want to talk to, invite them to your house, turn on ports really quick, let them port and talk at your house. Or use private messages in separate areas.

I hope I taught a few things today.
Have a very nice weekend.
~Abigail Dragondreamer

Survivor
Apr 10, 2011
14
Hero
Aug 18, 2011
743
I like the idea. I've wanted to gift friends areas before. It would be popular.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2635
This idea isn't really necessary. If you are attempting to give another player Crowns in order to purchase an area, just use the already available Gift Certificate option. If 5,000 Crowns is too much, I would suggest KI possibly offer a smaller increment (most current areas are 2000 Crowns). If that player has not quested or leveled to the appropriate requirement, it won't matter how you attempt to buy the area.

There are hundreds of areas within Wizard101. KI spending time coding for each possible scenario of areas to purchase, seems like time wasted on their part (not time spent on making new items/areas). I suspect most players don't pick and choose random areas to purchase, since most quests require you to sequentially move through the storyline.

In other words, if a player has met all the level and world requirements to help you in that zone all they really need is the Crowns and the ability to port to you to "activate" the zone purchase. Another interface/tab in the Crowns shop, just seems unnecessary (to me anyways).

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
Oran of Urz on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
This idea isn't really necessary. If you are attempting to give another player Crowns in order to purchase an area, just use the already available Gift Certificate option. If 5,000 Crowns is too much, I would suggest KI possibly offer a smaller increment (most current areas are 2000 Crowns). If that player has not quested or leveled to the appropriate requirement, it won't matter how you attempt to buy the area.

There are hundreds of areas within Wizard101. KI spending time coding for each possible scenario of areas to purchase, seems like time wasted on their part (not time spent on making new items/areas). I suspect most players don't pick and choose random areas to purchase, since most quests require you to sequentially move through the storyline.

In other words, if a player has met all the level and world requirements to help you in that zone all they really need is the Crowns and the ability to port to you to "activate" the zone purchase. Another interface/tab in the Crowns shop, just seems unnecessary (to me anyways).
One thing you need to know, is first of all, yes, it does take coding, but KingsIsle isn't anywhere close to a lazy company. Hair styles weren't necessary, cool new wand attack styles weren't necessary, transformations weren't necessary, mounts aren't necessary, and all that stuff, they're all wants, not needs. Nobody ever needed all those, but KingsIsle gave it to us because it's probably one of the most generous gaming companies there is. So don't bring up "it takes a lot of coding/time" because I bet KingsIsle takes a lot of time to code everything every day.

Yes, there are many areas in wizard101, just like many mounts. We don't need mounts but they make the game experience faster. Same with gifting areas, you don't need it (well, sometimes you do if nobody is available to help you) but it speeds up gameplay, which really helps wizards.

Also, yes, you could buy a gift certificate, but the wizard would have to have open chat so you can give it to them. If your friend has menu/text chat, then that's not possible so I don't see it working.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
sliver moon wolf on Apr 21, 2014 wrote:
i do ignore them like don't talk but they don't go away and i know it wont stop but it will make it worst and sometimes they yous cheats to get into you house and start being you
that's why i think these is a bad ideal to do if they do do it i mean you can't report them for it because there not saying anything bad and it be a false report so you stuck listening or trying to get away when they will just keep spamming you text box and i really dont want it to get worst if they make these update then plz just make sure to make it were you can report players for begging to much and not leaving you alone because i like these ideal but it is a bad ideal if you can't stop begging like have a beggar report butten hit it 10 times on one player in some amount of times they should not be able to talk for the rest of the day i don't think they should get banded or anything can't say anything for one day i like to see these ideal because then i could gift my friend who dont got anything some zones for his birthday
95wizard
There is an "Ignore" button for each person. Click on the beggar, click ignore and be done with it.

No need to banish a creative idea because you haven't figured that out yet. Ignore works wonders when there are beggars, drama kings and queens, etc. I ignore them all.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
353
Oran of Urz on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
This idea isn't really necessary. If you are attempting to give another player Crowns in order to purchase an area, just use the already available Gift Certificate option. If 5,000 Crowns is too much, I would suggest KI possibly offer a smaller increment (most current areas are 2000 Crowns). If that player has not quested or leveled to the appropriate requirement, it won't matter how you attempt to buy the area.

There are hundreds of areas within Wizard101. KI spending time coding for each possible scenario of areas to purchase, seems like time wasted on their part (not time spent on making new items/areas). I suspect most players don't pick and choose random areas to purchase, since most quests require you to sequentially move through the storyline.

In other words, if a player has met all the level and world requirements to help you in that zone all they really need is the Crowns and the ability to port to you to "activate" the zone purchase. Another interface/tab in the Crowns shop, just seems unnecessary (to me anyways).
The argument you bring up is completely and uttery invalid. "KI spending time coding for each possible scenario of areas to purchase, seems like time wasted on their part." No it isn't.
KI is a GAME DEVELOPING company, as in they get paid to code. Nothing will be wasted time. A new world will still come on in a year regardless of any additional updates.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
743
Oran of Urz on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
This idea isn't really necessary. If you are attempting to give another player Crowns in order to purchase an area, just use the already available Gift Certificate option. If 5,000 Crowns is too much, I would suggest KI possibly offer a smaller increment (most current areas are 2000 Crowns). If that player has not quested or leveled to the appropriate requirement, it won't matter how you attempt to buy the area.

There are hundreds of areas within Wizard101. KI spending time coding for each possible scenario of areas to purchase, seems like time wasted on their part (not time spent on making new items/areas). I suspect most players don't pick and choose random areas to purchase, since most quests require you to sequentially move through the storyline.

In other words, if a player has met all the level and world requirements to help you in that zone all they really need is the Crowns and the ability to port to you to "activate" the zone purchase. Another interface/tab in the Crowns shop, just seems unnecessary (to me anyways).
Gifting crowns directly is more involved, as you need a way to message the recipient with a code. Strictly, contacts outside the game violate the ToS, so simply clicking a map icon in the crown shop and being able to gift an area as we can with other items would be better.

The coding is not a big deal. The option to buy an area at a time already exists. Adding the option to gift it to someone on our friend list is well within the ability of KI's highly skilled programmers.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
657
I like the idea of gifting other players!
I also believe its ok to click the ignore button if you say no multiple times to beggers.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2635
The Spiral Twister on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
The argument you bring up is completely and uttery invalid. "KI spending time coding for each possible scenario of areas to purchase, seems like time wasted on their part." No it isn't.
KI is a GAME DEVELOPING company, as in they get paid to code. Nothing will be wasted time. A new world will still come on in a year regardless of any additional updates.
Maybe I'm not explaining it right. Please see the response over on the Pirate101 forums:

"Each update, finite resources forces us to make a choice: extend the game (higher level cap, big new chunks of content), or improve the game (add new systems and activities, tighten up gameplay). We can't do both. Wizard101 alternates between the two, and I can't argue with the results. We're following the same plan."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/wheres-book-15-8ad6a419454591aa0145481418d86c1e

This is what I'm referring to. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2635
PvP King on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
One thing you need to know, is first of all, yes, it does take coding, but KingsIsle isn't anywhere close to a lazy company. Hair styles weren't necessary, cool new wand attack styles weren't necessary, transformations weren't necessary, mounts aren't necessary, and all that stuff, they're all wants, not needs. Nobody ever needed all those, but KingsIsle gave it to us because it's probably one of the most generous gaming companies there is. So don't bring up "it takes a lot of coding/time" because I bet KingsIsle takes a lot of time to code everything every day.

Yes, there are many areas in wizard101, just like many mounts. We don't need mounts but they make the game experience faster. Same with gifting areas, you don't need it (well, sometimes you do if nobody is available to help you) but it speeds up gameplay, which really helps wizards.

Also, yes, you could buy a gift certificate, but the wizard would have to have open chat so you can give it to them. If your friend has menu/text chat, then that's not possible so I don't see it working.
PvP King,

The examples you are referring to were new items at one time that might or might not have been considered unnecessary to some. The comment I was making is that your suggestion doesn't offer a new design, item, etc that would entice or otherwise attract new or returning players. Your suggestion is a different process to purchase already available areas (I'm commenting that there is already a process). Even though hairstyles or mounts might not be needed, they are still a new item and might attract players that are into cosmetic looks.

My comment isn't that KI couldn't do it, I just don't see how all the lengthy coding would pay off for the company and the employee that spent time working it, instead of some new revolutionary system, object, zone or similar function in trade for a function for what I perceive as a small population (again, I could be way off base here, especially given all the positive reactions on this thread). There are a lot of zones that would have to be listed in the Crowns shop and updated as new worlds are released. Most Crown shop items are offered "seasonally" to rotate items in and out of the shop. This doesn't seem practical with your suggestion.

Again, it seems unnecessary to me, not that it is a bad idea or wouldn't be useful to someone.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2635
Prince of Shadows on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
Gifting crowns directly is more involved, as you need a way to message the recipient with a code. Strictly, contacts outside the game violate the ToS, so simply clicking a map icon in the crown shop and being able to gift an area as we can with other items would be better.

The coding is not a big deal. The option to buy an area at a time already exists. Adding the option to gift it to someone on our friend list is well within the ability of KI's highly skilled programmers.
Prince,

Even with the OP's suggestion, it will take some more communication anyways. The only menu chat option to indicate you can't enter an area is "I don't have access to that place". Unless you know that person's situation either through open/text chat or in person, you can't tell if that person can't access the zone due to the lack of Crowns or simply not "flagged" for the zone (even if you had the Crowns or already purchased it).

See my posts above. I'm not indicating that the coding is difficult or can't be accomplished by KI. I just personally don't see KI spending the time to devote to this effort. I have to assume that if it was super easy...it would have already been done by now. However, I don't speak for them and KI has made it clear they are always open to suggestions by players. I made the mistake in thinking this thread was intended for everyone's opinion and critique....not just between the OP and KI.

Finally, contacts outside the game are not strictly forbidden. See the below link on how the True Friend Code works. Maybe you meant something along the lines of using Wizard101 as a platform to meet in real life. If so, I stand by my original comment of believing this suggestion is unnecessary for me, since I don't gift anything to people I don't know personally.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/truefriendcode

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
66
YES!! This idea will certainly allow much more people to be able to do more. I like it.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
Oran of Urz on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
Prince,

Even with the OP's suggestion, it will take some more communication anyways. The only menu chat option to indicate you can't enter an area is "I don't have access to that place". Unless you know that person's situation either through open/text chat or in person, you can't tell if that person can't access the zone due to the lack of Crowns or simply not "flagged" for the zone (even if you had the Crowns or already purchased it).

See my posts above. I'm not indicating that the coding is difficult or can't be accomplished by KI. I just personally don't see KI spending the time to devote to this effort. I have to assume that if it was super easy...it would have already been done by now. However, I don't speak for them and KI has made it clear they are always open to suggestions by players. I made the mistake in thinking this thread was intended for everyone's opinion and critique....not just between the OP and KI.

Finally, contacts outside the game are not strictly forbidden. See the below link on how the True Friend Code works. Maybe you meant something along the lines of using Wizard101 as a platform to meet in real life. If so, I stand by my original comment of believing this suggestion is unnecessary for me, since I don't gift anything to people I don't know personally.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/truefriendcode
No, it would not take as much communication. As I already said, if the wizard already has the area, their name would be "greyed out" when clicking the gift button. You wouldn't need to spend time asking the person if they have the area then having to go buy a crowns certificate just to realize you can't even give the person the crowns code to go buy the area for themselves.

I made the mistake in thinking this thread was intended for everyone's opinion and critique....not just between the OP and KI.

No, this is a message board. You're giving your opinion and me and many others are replying back with our opinions, it's as simple as that.

Defender
Nov 10, 2012
113
This is a great idea. And just so anyone who says: But beggers will be everywhere begging for it!
Yeah we know! With any Crowns item it's unavoidable that people will be begging for it, and you can always ignore them.