Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gene splicing should be introduced

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Have you ever thought "How did my pet get that talent?" You know the one that is an odd one "The may cast Life blade on a ice pet."
Gene splicing should be allowed in the game for crowns, It would correct the talent choices that the computer randomly puts together. If you want a pet that may cast a blade then you should have a pet that casts the desired blade. You pay for the hatch and you put the time, snacks, crowns and gold into training it.

The game would not be negatively impacted. As a control, players would need to find or hatch a pet with the talent they want. If people want a pet with all epic talents they should be able to buy the talents desired. Each epic talent would cost 500 crowns to activate by the splice and a different type of blade or shield could be 200 crowns to adjust (spirit and elemental excluded) unless the pet May cast the other set to start with.

It would eliminate the failures that are in every players home. How many players would complain about getting their version of the pet they wanted? I think that getting a chance at getting the may cast a player wants can be much worse than getting it. People pay to play this game each area of the game costs either crowns (which is real money) or membership (which again is real money). Pet hatching would be fun and interesting rather than a chore and grind.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
Well, I don't know how people would react to this but -

I agreed. Hatching the perfect pet is a mixture of time wasting and gold wasting. You have to grind up to Adult to even know if you're using the pet.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2010
Hello!

I think this is a good idea, but maybe so its not too ridiculously easy, and biased so paying players have an even more overbearing advantage, I feel like this should only be able to happen once per pet level up

Like, Say you have a pet at adult. It has Double resist, which you enjoy, and next you would like a May cast heal, or damage. Well as it levels to Ancient, you get the dreaded Pip o'plenty.

One time, during ancient level, maybe redo the training regiment? (maybe for lower xp needed) But that pet can never gain access to the said talent lost again.

Then you get it to ancient again and you get the talent wanted. But it happens again down the road to mega. Say you have double resist, Fire damage +9, and a critical boosting talent, the talents you wanted. For mega you REALLY want to get that May Cast fairy, to complete the perfect pet (that you wanted of course) But you get a health gift instead, well it would really save you a lot of trouble to just redo that level, instead of hatching all over again and working your way back up, so at Mega you get another Splice, or "redo" forever locking Health gift so you cant get it again, (and train back to Mega, maybe, so there is at least still effort put into it or something maybe with a much reduced xp bar needed)

Just a thought, I love your idea, but it seems like it puts too much emphasis on "currency". let me know how you feel :)

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
I just wanted to introduce a better way to get the pet talents that would be fair to everyone. It should not be "let's hope for the best." I want to design a great pet for each of my six wizards and not just fumble along with a few. I keep seeing other people with the may cast spritely, unicorn and fairy and I wonder "How did they get those into the same pet?"

I think the developers need to explain pet hatching and make it something that is clearly understandable to everyone. Because pet hatching is expensive and not simple. Just relying on luck is not something I want to do anymore. Everyone should have pets that give them the best chances at staying alive. Bosses are getting harder and pets need to keep up.

I think every pet should have at least one healing talent. Face the fact without a good healing pet you won't last long. Spritely does not always activate. My storm wizard needs a good healing pet and so far can't get the right mix. My life wizard has a great pet and got it after much trial and error.

I have been a member since 2008 and have seen much. I have paid my dues and support the game. I don't mind working for something as long as it is possible to get. Wizard is a great game with a lot of potential. Pirate is too but is stalled at the moment.

BTW, a note to the developers storm wizards need more health.

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
I think it would be better if KI just fixed it instead of having you fix it. It gives an advantage to wealthy players, like Bucisfav said - I mean imagine if some business owner's child started playing wizard101. By the time they get their first pet, the next day, all of a sudden their little piggle is giving them critical rates and armor piercings when it's just a baby that belongs to a level 7. Not to mention how much coding it would take - the devs would have to add in almost every spell and different values from 0 - 100 for every statistic and different values for the stat boosts (ie 25 more power for the max on your pet) for every single pet in the game.

Plus, not everybody agrees with gene splicing for things that aren't diseases, so that would just bring up politics in the game, and all of a sudden KI hits national news because little children are suddenly debating whether it's immoral or perfectly fine to splice genes.

I don't want to ruin this for you, but this update could easily get rid of the fun in everything.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I'm very much against buying talents, or buying anything that affects performance, but I like the idea of being able to train back and lockout a talent.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
Max Sterling on Jun 5, 2015 wrote:
Well, I don't know how people would react to this but -

I agreed. Hatching the perfect pet is a mixture of time wasting and gold wasting. You have to grind up to Adult to even know if you're using the pet.
Grind up to Adult? That is not a grind at all. If you garden for mega snacks (which most experienced pet trainers do), it only takes about 10 training sessions to get a pet to Adult. The real grind is from Epic to Mega, but I digress...

The current system of pet hatching and training should not be changed. I've spent many hours gardening, farming for gold, hatching, training, and re-hatching to customize my prized pets, and so have many others. We've learned through trial and error what works and what doesn't, and so can everyone else.

These are my opinions, but I feel that many others would agree.

Wolf Windrider

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Players want to have the best pets they can have and obtain...

...and are willing and able to pay, play, train, splice their genes; and do whatever else is required to make this happen.

For those who spent a very long time, energy, money, training and hatching to obtain the pets you want; congratulations! This old school method works; and its a proven, yet archaic, lengthy process.

No matter how many new and innovative ways become available to evolve, train, and level our pets over time; its OK and acceptable for traditionalists and die hard pet training advocates to continue to honor what they know and do.

For the rest of us, harder and longer doesn't have to mean there aren't better, more efficient ways to achieve desire results in a fraction of the time.

And there isn't anything I, or anyone else can do about creative, innovative individuals able to come up with and implement fantastic ideas such as slicing pet DNA to create and improve their pets.

Sure, I can cross my arms, huff and puff, wave my hands in the air like I just don't care, or even stamp my feet up and down dramatically; or even hold my breath until I pass out.

In the end, this game and how we approach playing W101 and pet training will progress and evolve; regardless if we want it to or not.

For the never ending masses of folks who continue to play, they'll continue to experience the future of W101; and all the amazing things this brings; or something better. And for those who don't; they get to move on to other pursuits. May they always know, have and experience, amazing success and triumph in all that they do.

And when you come back to W101; and you know you will...

...you'll get to enjoy and experience all the fun, new adventures that await them next!

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Currency is what matters to the game designers. The free to play part of wizard 101 is actually tiny. The money that most people spend is actually really large when you think about the bundles and all that is in the crown shop. I find it easy to buy the year membership because most games are at 15 dollars a month and wizard is 5 dollars a month. Though I find most of the gear out of tune in the bundles. The houses are the most creative part of the bundles. Pets are great though the initial talents are poor. They give players a reason to generate more revenue. The best gear is crafted or boss dropped.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
Errol Everhart on Jun 5, 2015 wrote:
Grind up to Adult? That is not a grind at all. If you garden for mega snacks (which most experienced pet trainers do), it only takes about 10 training sessions to get a pet to Adult. The real grind is from Epic to Mega, but I digress...

The current system of pet hatching and training should not be changed. I've spent many hours gardening, farming for gold, hatching, training, and re-hatching to customize my prized pets, and so have many others. We've learned through trial and error what works and what doesn't, and so can everyone else.

These are my opinions, but I feel that many others would agree.

Wolf Windrider
I agreed, with Mega Snacks, there is no grind at all.

However, I'm a Crowns Player, so I can't afford to spend them on plant seeds.

Now of course, they drop from certain mobs, but I don't have enough Crowns to unlock those areas as of present. You may create your own hints as why I'm not able to.

And with what other people have stated as of now, even if the current system is . . . heavily luck-based . . . this update would simply bring moral dessicions into question and a massive advantage to the wealthy.