Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fishing improvement

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
According to the new test realm notes, Maximum fishing spell level is now 15.

My issue is, after the first catch, it would take THOUSANDS of fish to gain a level. Currently, to go from L9 to L10, you need 53,640 XP. By that point, you have caught all the fish at least once, so assuming that, you'd need to catch 5,960 of any one dekoi (lowest xp fish) or 2,555 Devil Rays (highest XP fish). That's an AWFUL lot of fishing. I like that you "just" came out with fishing, and already we have 15 levels, but the quantity of fish or the experience makes leveling really tough at higher levels. Maybe if more fish could be added at the same time or maybe granting more experience thru the fishing levels, per fish, would help.

If we compare this to gardening, each seed yields the same XP all the time. There's no diminishing return when we harvest at any level. Perhaps if the fishing XP was LOWERED initially, but maintained a more constant level, it would be more effective.

For example, the Devil ray has an initial XP value of 2,100 XP. What if it was lowered to 210 XP yet you get 210 XP every time you caught one? It would take 10 catches to equal the current XP, but then it would be a higher value down the road, making leveling easier.

This is just an example, and all values should be treated as such

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
I have to second this, the way fishing xp is currently applied is just ridiculous with xp for a fish being around 8xp on average after you caught it the first time is just plain horrible, you can catch 1000 fish all the same and get maybe 9000xp where is the drive to actually fish? every other activity is balanced why cant fishing? i was trying to farm a specific fish to craft an item so was fishing in the same pond and after catching 60 fish and starting from only completed first quest for fishing I got just enough xp to just get to lvl 3 fisher seriously? In total I had caught 8 different types of fish since i started most likely 70% of my total xp from 8 fish out of 60 after this I just feel let down completely.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Agreed. I had fun the first few levels of fishing, but it gets really pointless to go beyond rank 6 with such low XP after first catch. There's no real incentive to continue. 10% of initial XP for catching seems a fair solution. The way it is now, catching 1 fish for 900 XP and getting only 1%, 9 XP is excessively unbalanced.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I definitely agree that the system needs an overhaul regarding XP. As much as I enjoy fishing, unless I'm fishing for components for a recipe or going for one of the newly released fish there's really not much else it has going for it. There are the Badges but I think I've got just about all of those too. The return in gold is hardly worth the effort and I'm about to run out of room for fish tanks. Increasing the XP of repeat catches would seem to me to be the most equitable way to go about it. 1% of first-catch value is almost an insult especially when you're talking about Epic fish and the higher level Sentinels. I'd like to see some sort of graded system... 10% of initial reward for repeat catches of Rank 1 fish, 15% for Rank 2 etc. all the way up to 40%-50% for Epic fish and Rank 2 Sentinels.