Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Firearms. (Yes, That Means Guns.)

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
Hmm ok so what if we had guns in the game, what would we use them for? casting our spells? or shooting enemies?, listen this isn't a good example for kids who are hooked in this game.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
bionaknight wrote:
Stand down, I interpret this as an "AoE" attack on the general population opposing you on this thread. I am glad to see you concur with us, but this is an odd way of showing it.


It is not an attack on you or anyone. It is simply showing a very weak argument on the part of you and several others. A gun was suggested in a post,and many decried it. The problem is several of the people who did this,used a weak argument to support it. Several also suggested that violence in-game was ok, as long as it's not gun violence. Stand down? I suggest you and others stand down,or at least support your comments with something of substance. So far,all I have heard is rhetoric and prejudice to support your claims.

Survivor
May 07, 2009
34
While the idea is nice and creative, I can't see this being put in the game because its clear the majority disagrees with the idea. If the majority thought it was good, I'm sure KI could find a way to make it cartoony enough to satisfy most people. I mean, they have a centaur shooting a bow and arrow in slow motion, and a gun (an old west, cartoony gun not a pistol some punk may have on a street) isn't a whole lot different. It's just about perception. Some people may not want guns in because it may change the way their children view them. When I was a child, my parents had a long talk with me about guns, how dangerous they are and what may happen if I played around with any of them (we didn't have any but my grandparents did and we visited often). I've also played several first person shooters and I have never had any motivation to go and pick one up. Ever.

Parents, I am not telling you how to raise your child or children. Please do not find offense with any of this post because I definitely do not intend to give any offense by it. They are your children, you love them, you know them. That being said, it may be a good idea to have a talk with your children about these things before they find a game they like that uses them or they see a tv show or a movie at a friends house that makes them curious, or God forbid they find some in a room at a relatives house. If they know going in they have a better chance of making the right choice.

Overall, I like the idea, but agree it may be a bit iffy to put in a game predominately played by children.

That being said, I think everyone that posted something negative should take a step back and look to see if their post may have been a bit over the top. Perhaps instead of "this is a terrible idea, what are you thinking," next time go with "I disagree." You even get to type less!

I feel like I'm starting to ramble and may of gone off topic. Time to hit submit. :-)

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
441
blood, guts, gore, that just doesnt sound right in a kids game. maybe in a rated M or T game but not E10+.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2280
Pyrsik wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
Stand down, I interpret this as an "AoE" attack on the general population opposing you on this thread. I am glad to see you concur with us, but this is an odd way of showing it.


It is not an attack on you or anyone. It is simply showing a very weak argument on the part of you and several others. A gun was suggested in a post,and many decried it. The problem is several of the people who did this,used a weak argument to support it. Several also suggested that violence in-game was ok, as long as it's not gun violence. Stand down? I suggest you and others stand down,or at least support your comments with something of substance. So far,all I have heard is rhetoric and prejudice to support your claims.


OK. Pyrsik. You say you are not attacking BionaKnight or anyone else. Actually you have been attacking BionaKnight and Queenlybluebean for stating their opinions and pretty much the rest of us as well. And this is even after you have also stated you did not want guns in the game.

I honestly don't see that our arguments are that weak. We can't put it any plainer that WE DON'T WANT GUNS IN THE GAME

Yes, there is a certain amount of violence in the game but it is FANTASY VIOLENCE. Yes, there are swords and bows and arrows in the game as well as in real life, but those items are not as easily accessible by young children as guns. No, we are not going to STAND DOWN on this issue.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, this idea should never have been suggested in the first place.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
Pyrsik wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
Stand down, I interpret this as an "AoE" attack on the general population opposing you on this thread. I am glad to see you concur with us, but this is an odd way of showing it.


It is not an attack on you or anyone. It is simply showing a very weak argument on the part of you and several others. A gun was suggested in a post,and many decried it. The problem is several of the people who did this,used a weak argument to support it. Several also suggested that violence in-game was ok, as long as it's not gun violence. Stand down? I suggest you and others stand down,or at least support your comments with something of substance. So far,all I have heard is rhetoric and prejudice to support your claims.
Ok, I am beginning to tire of constantly explaining why Wizard Students should not use guns. Look at an example:
Wizard: I banish thee, Dragon! *Summons Lightning Bolts and Fire Blasts to slay enemies.*
Now try:
Wizard: Die, Winged Lizard! *Pulls out machine gun and opens fire*
Which makes more sense? I'm sorry to be blunt, but what is the use of firearms in a fantasy game about magic?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
*pops out from lurking*

First of all, I disagree with the OP. I like the idea of a wild-west-themed world, but I don't see what the place of guns would be in a game like this.

I'm an adult, in my mid-20s- I don't have any kids, or anyone else I play this game with. And yet, I still don't like the idea of guns being introduced into the Spiral; I have a thing for (fictional) villains, but I play this game because I want no part in a guild-driven, elitist bloodbath like WoW or CoD.

Consider this: on the off-chance that KI decided this was a great idea and gave players guns, what of PvP? Emotions run high in the arena as it is and, instead of mythical enemies, you are now firing a weapon at another wizard- not only is the game no longer kid-friendly, but it takes in-game violence to a whole other level.

Fact is, there are kids here- young children, who aren't necessarily able to discern between fantasy and reality, and may take this to mean that it's okay to hurt someone in real-life; violence is never an acceptable means of problem-solving.

For safety and justice,

El Veeb/Shadowsong, transcended sorcerer
(& her 20-something aliases)

Survivor
May 07, 2009
34
Just to clarify what the OP was going for.

hanable33 wrote:
blood, guts, gore, that just doesnt sound right in a kids game. maybe in a rated M or T game but not E10+.


gatorjaw wrote:
Blunderbuss of Blaze: Does some sort of 0-pip, weak fire spell like the wands do.


He didn't mention blood, guts or gore, he basically wanted a gun that casted spells. I for one don't see a huge problem between a cartoony pistol in a cowboy setting that is used the exact same way as the beginner wand (i.e. you spin it around and cast a spell with it)

bionaknight wrote:
Now try:
Wizard: Die, Winged Lizard! *Pulls out machine gun and opens fire*


No machine guns, think cartoony western (maybe woody from toy story may help you out).

I think most of you are blowing this way out of proportion. It was a cool and creative idea, and nobody is trying to turn this into a bloody free for all shooter. Take a deep breath, I highly doubt that KI will put in an update that so many are adamantly against.


Hero
Jun 11, 2010
729
gatorjaw wrote:
I can't imagine that this hasn't been suggested before, but I haven't seen any. Things people suggest, like shields and gauntlets, would have to completely redesign the game. These would be something like the two-handed weapons. Script a few animations (Yes, I get that's pretty hard,) and then you're just making filler weapons. Maybe if we get a world like somewhere from the Renaissance, all the way to the Old West, (which I would absolutely LOVE, KI!) could implement it as some firearms fitting with lore. I've got a few ideas, too.
Blunderbuss of Blaze: Does some sort of 0-pip, weak fire spell like the wands do.
Flintlock of Frost: Same, with Ice.
Arquebus or Arcing: Storm.
Crossbow of Creation: Myth.
This could also add some kind of new $30-40 pack. Imagine: holding a repeater in your hand while wearing gunslinger garb riding some new horse mount. I can't ramble any longer; it's late and I've had a long day. Anybody want to share their (positive) opinions?

No way! As much as I would love an Old west world, no guns. Family games are not supposed to have guns. If you want guns, go play a first person shooter. If you aren't old enough, then play a few rounds of Portal. Same mechanics. Plus, firearms have no magical refrences. Swords are sometimes thought to be magic with many enchanted sword refrences and King Arthur and all that jazz. Bows and Arrows have long been used by protrays of centuars, and Rangers, who are THOUGHT to be magical (Who else here enjoys John Flanagan's work?). Then there are pendants and wands and all that stuff. Firearms are not magic, nor do they have refrences to magic (except for the magic of "he shot the gun right out of his hand"). Plus, isn't the whole point of magic having a way to defend ones self against creatures that can not be defeated by regular means? Firearms would count as regular means.

That is to being your answer to everythings! Put a sheet over it! (The True Meaning of Smeckday)

Explorer
Aug 10, 2009
96
Jallen02 wrote:
While the idea is nice and creative, I can't see this being put in the game because its clear the majority disagrees with the idea. If the majority thought it was good, I'm sure KI could find a way to make it cartoony enough to satisfy most people. I mean, they have a centaur shooting a bow and arrow in slow motion, and a gun (an old west, cartoony gun not a pistol some punk may have on a street) isn't a whole lot different. It's just about perception. Some people may not want guns in because it may change the way their children view them. When I was a child, my parents had a long talk with me about guns, how dangerous they are and what may happen if I played around with any of them (we didn't have any but my grandparents did and we visited often). I've also played several first person shooters and I have never had any motivation to go and pick one up. Ever.

Parents, I am not telling you how to raise your child or children. Please do not find offense with any of this post because I definitely do not intend to give any offense by it. They are your children, you love them, you know them. That being said, it may be a good idea to have a talk with your children about these things before they find a game they like that uses them or they see a tv show or a movie at a friends house that makes them curious, or God forbid they find some in a room at a relatives house. If they know going in they have a better chance of making the right choice.

Overall, I like the idea, but agree it may be a bit iffy to put in a game predominately played by children.

That being said, I think everyone that posted something negative should take a step back and look to see if their post may have been a bit over the top. Perhaps instead of "this is a terrible idea, what are you thinking," next time go with "I disagree." You even get to type less!

I feel like I'm starting to ramble and may of gone off topic. Time to hit submit. :-)


Okay, um about this, my friend plays gunning games all the time and he had a talk. Before he turned crazy. He was crazy after guns. No. No guns ever. I am a kid, and I know that guns are bad. Never. Not in a an E10+ game. Go find some M game out on the street sold by a shady character. Not and E10+ game made by trustworthy people.

Explorer
Aug 10, 2009
96
julia88888 wrote:
wizguygoo wrote:
gatorjaw wrote:
I can't imagine that this hasn't been suggested before, but I haven't seen any. Things people suggest, like shields and gauntlets, would have to completely redesign the game. These would be something like the two-handed weapons. Script a few animations (Yes, I get that's pretty hard,) and then you're just making filler weapons. Maybe if we get a world like somewhere from the Renaissance, all the way to the Old West, (which I would absolutely LOVE, KI!) could implement it as some firearms fitting with lore. I've got a few ideas, too.
Blunderbuss of Blaze: Does some sort of 0-pip, weak fire spell like the wands do.
Flintlock of Frost: Same, with Ice.
Arquebus or Arcing: Storm.
Crossbow of Creation: Myth.
This could also add some kind of new $30-40 pack. Imagine: holding a repeater in your hand while wearing gunslinger garb riding some new horse mount. I can't ramble any longer; it's late and I've had a long day. Anybody want to share their (positive) opinions?


Ok, not a positive opinion, but this idea is awful. I think you play WAY to many gunner games. Ok, first reason that this is bad. You do know that 5 year olds play this, don't you? Second, this wouldn't be fair for some people who don't like that stuff. KI could lose lots of money for putting that in a family game. It would then be rated probably M, and thats never good for an again, family game. Lots of kids would have to stop playing because their parents see one person get the gun, and use it. The only thing that suits this good, I'd say is the horse mount. And maybe the new wild west world, but without guns. I get that the big game hunter carries one, but he never used it. I rest my case, though I am not an adult, I'm mature enough to see this would ruin KI. Sorry for your idea, but I don't think anyone would put this in an E10 game.
exactly, 5 year olds play this. If you want this to be a gunner game it is pretty much impossible, sorry. And look, if you dont like Wizard101 you can start playing other games.

~Julia Rosesinger


Thank you for someone who finally copied my post down and gave an agreement. Everyone who agrees with these guns in a game with 5 year olds, your messed up. Even if your defending gatorjaw's idea, even if you don't want guns. I know, it was just an idea, but that should not have been posted here. Post it on WoW Message Boards. Nobody wants guns in this game. Now, I wish professor greyrose, falmea, balstorm, dworgyn, cyrus, moolinda, gamma, and merle would put this place on lock. I'm getting tired of everyones dumb ideas. Now, calm down everyone.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
bionaknight wrote:
Ok, I am beginning to tire of constantly explaining why Wizard Students should not use guns. Look at an example:
Wizard: I banish thee, Dragon! *Summons Lightning Bolts and Fire Blasts to slay enemies.*
Now try:
Wizard: Die, Winged Lizard! *Pulls out machine gun and opens fire*
Which makes more sense? I'm sorry to be blunt, but what is the use of firearms in a fantasy game about magic?


You have not paid attention at all. The reason I was against guns was because as i stated, they have no place in a fantasy world. I don't want guns here for that reason. I merely pointed out that some of the remarks against the original poster were weak and uncalled for. I also pointed out substantial weakness in vague comments like "guns are anti-family,""guns are bad",etc. when they are nothing of the sort. Like or dislike guns all you want, but at least support your claims with substance. Also if you are going to disagree with me, please pay attention to what I posted. You just tried to explain why I am wrong,and your explanation was an echo of what I originally stated.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
Pyrsik wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
Ok, I am beginning to tire of constantly explaining why Wizard Students should not use guns. Look at an example:
Wizard: I banish thee, Dragon! *Summons Lightning Bolts and Fire Blasts to slay enemies.*
Now try:
Wizard: Die, Winged Lizard! *Pulls out machine gun and opens fire*
Which makes more sense? I'm sorry to be blunt, but what is the use of firearms in a fantasy game about magic?


You have not paid attention at all. The reason I was against guns was because as i stated, they have no place in a fantasy world. I don't want guns here for that reason. I merely pointed out that some of the remarks against the original poster were weak and uncalled for. I also pointed out substantial weakness in vague comments like "guns are anti-family,""guns are bad",etc. when they are nothing of the sort. Like or dislike guns all you want, but at least support your claims with substance. Also if you are going to disagree with me, please pay attention to what I posted. You just tried to explain why I am wrong,and your explanation was an echo of what I originally stated.
My apologies. Glad to know that you concur with me, but I interperated your comments as agreeing with the original poster. However, studies have shown that those who play games with guns and reality-based violence (Grand Theft Auto, Modern Warfare, etc) tend to have more aggressive behavior at school, at home, and with friends. You can research it if you wish. The posters here were stating their opinions, opinions which I very much concur with. I am sorry if I misinterpereted it your post. However, my opinion of them being anti-family and much too violent for a fantasy game still stands, which is both the same and different as your opinion.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1635
Well, finally that the mean comments are gone, I guess I'll post my honest opinions.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/kid-safe-game/online-safety#

Kid's safety is very important. KI does not want to influence children to pretend shooting someone or pretend to shoot a rocket launcher.

The abracadoodle: https://www.wizard101.com/game/abracadoodle-comic
How odd do you think it will be to see the Storm wizard ditch his wand and start using a pistol?

"It's great to see kids getting so excited and involved in a game that, as a teacher, I can feel good about recommending for play."
Amy Gonzalez, English Teacher, Austin Independent School District

That is from a link on:https://www.wizard101.com/game/kid-safe

Merle Ambrose's words:
"While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players)."
A positive experience, would a gun be a positive or negative experience to children?

Read these words now:
Wizard101 is a multi-player adventure game designed to be easy-to-learn and fun for kids and adults of all ages. And because the game is designed to encourage social activity and interaction among the players, it’s a great form of entertainment for families. If you have always wondered what types of video games your kids like to play, here’s your chance to find out…and enjoy it!

Wizard101 can be a reward!

Video games can be a lot of fun, and many parents worry their kids will play the games too much. If your kids really like Wizard101 (and we think they will), consider using time in Wizard101 as a reward for doing homework, completing chores, or participating in physical exercise. We think video games are great fun, but they should never be a substitute for the important things in life.

Wizard101 is supposed to be a social activity, and also it could be used as a reward for kids to play. Well, if wizard101 added guns here, those words would all be lies.

So, those are my opinions, using KI's words as proof of the reality of this game, maybe KI's next game could include firearms, who knows?

Survivor
May 07, 2009
34
wizguygoo wrote:


Okay, um about this, my friend plays gunning games all the time and he had a talk. Before he turned crazy. He was crazy after guns. No. No guns ever. I am a kid, and I know that guns are bad. Never. Not in a an E10+ game. Go find some M game out on the street sold by a shady character. Not and E10+ game made by trustworthy people.


Nobody is paying attention to the posts. All I'm saying is that it is possible to put gun-wands in the game. As soon as someone says "gun" everyone's brain for some odd reason goes to the most graphic, gory possibility in a game. Nobody is saying put in a machine gun and shoot real bullets at a monster and have blood spurt out like a rated M game.

I am saying that it is possible to put guns in a game like this as purely cosmetic. Make them look like a cartoony, old west gun (NOT A MACHINE GUN OR SOMETHING FROM A SHOOTER GAME as so many seem to think everyone means) and do not shoot at all. They cast spells, like any normal wand/staff. They should be colorful as most wands are and not resemble a realistic gun. Why this is so hard for people to process is beyond me.

Notice I also didn't say that guns SHOULD be in the game. I'm just explaining the points of view of the minority here because of the replies such as "awful idea" and "dumb posts."

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2280
wizguygoo wrote:
Now, I wish professor greyrose, falmea, balstorm, dworgyn, cyrus, moolinda, gamma, and merle would put this place on lock.


Ok. Wizguygoo, for a young player, you are pretty smart. I have to agree with this. I really think it is time to lock this topic.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2012
56
i strongly disapprove! this is a family game built on fantasy and magic things that let you escape the hustle and bustle of the real world in a fantastic world of magic and wizardry ,however guns would ruin it completely theres enough violence and war in real life ,wizard101 is a safe fun magical universe for us to forget all that and escape to a world we never thought possible for endless fun! ,not to be reminded of it im sorry but your idea is the worst i have seen yet

KI promise me you wont ever do something as horrible and innaproperiate as this idea

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
85
This game's rating would have to change because of the guns. And this game revolves around magic and I think Marleybone's tech is not yet that advanced to it. So no. This game should not have guns or it would not be a family game.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
joujou11cool wrote:
Well, finally that the mean comments are gone, I guess I'll post my honest opinions.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/kid-safe-game/online-safety#

Kid's safety is very important. KI does not want to influence children to pretend shooting someone or pretend to shoot a rocket launcher.

The abracadoodle: https://www.wizard101.com/game/abracadoodle-comic
How odd do you think it will be to see the Storm wizard ditch his wand and start using a pistol?

"It's great to see kids getting so excited and involved in a game that, as a teacher, I can feel good about recommending for play."
Amy Gonzalez, English Teacher, Austin Independent School District

That is from a link on:https://www.wizard101.com/game/kid-safe

Merle Ambrose's words:
"While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players)."
A positive experience, would a gun be a positive or negative experience to children?

Read these words now:
Wizard101 is a multi-player adventure game designed to be easy-to-learn and fun for kids and adults of all ages. And because the game is designed to encourage social activity and interaction among the players, it’s a great form of entertainment for families. If you have always wondered what types of video games your kids like to play, here’s your chance to find out…and enjoy it!

Wizard101 can be a reward!

Video games can be a lot of fun, and many parents worry their kids will play the games too much. If your kids really like Wizard101 (and we think they will), consider using time in Wizard101 as a reward for doing homework, completing chores, or participating in physical exercise. We think video games are great fun, but they should never be a substitute for the important things in life.

Wizard101 is supposed to be a social activity, and also it could be used as a reward for kids to play. Well, if wizard101 added guns here, those words would all be lies.

So, those are my opinions, using KI's words as proof of the reality of this game, maybe KI's next game could include firearms, who knows?
BRAVO! Couldnt have said it better myself! Great post!

Survivor
May 24, 2009
46
if you dont want guns, then how about slingshots.

Valkoor Titanblade lvl 70 Fire

Survivor
Sep 30, 2009
21
Some people have bad memories about guns (me included) and I would not play Wizard101 if they added them. It just brings back too much painful memories I wish would've been different in my past.

Explorer
Feb 15, 2009
61
KI, again, what happened to moderating any unhelpful, impolite, etc. posts? I've had genuine questions turned twon, but you still let these people post like this? Even if you moderate this, you had to have read it. I interpreted this as people telling me how immature and stupid I am for this idea.
One argument I'm seeing a lot is that this is a family game. I had been shooting guns with my father since I was, maybe, six years old. I have never seen so much unintelligence in a single place since I was in elementary school.

Explorer
Feb 15, 2009
61
I'm still seeing arguments about technology. I only read one person who had any problem with Marleybone. Marleybone, having electricity, would have to be sometime in the late 19-Century. Guns were invented four hundred years before that. I've also seen people saying anything involving guns would turn this into something like a shooter. When did I say "Make this a shooter"? Well? If you can't answer that, that argument makes no sense. The only argument I've seen that remotely makes any sense is that Wizards wouldn't use guns. But Wizards wouldn't use swords. Wizards wouldn't use big claymores. Wizards wouldn't use hammers. Wizards wouldn't ride giant sharks. And you know what else? There are already guns in Wizard101. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the zebra (I forget his name) having a rifle. I haven't seen ANYONE complaining about that. What makes this so different? You people aren't making any sense.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
gatorjaw wrote:
I'm still seeing arguments about technology. I only read one person who had any problem with Marleybone. Marleybone, having electricity, would have to be sometime in the late 19-Century. Guns were invented four hundred years before that. I've also seen people saying anything involving guns would turn this into something like a shooter. When did I say "Make this a shooter"? Well? If you can't answer that, that argument makes no sense. The only argument I've seen that remotely makes any sense is that Wizards wouldn't use guns. But Wizards wouldn't use swords. Wizards wouldn't use big claymores. Wizards wouldn't use hammers. Wizards wouldn't ride giant sharks. And you know what else? There are already guns in Wizard101. I haven't seen anyone complaining about the zebra (I forget his name) having a rifle. I haven't seen ANYONE complaining about that. What makes this so different? You people aren't making any sense.


Gator,you have valid points, as my original response indicated. I have found that in life people will defend their beliefs and prejudices even when presented with unassailable facts as to why they shouldn't. It is best to not worry about,and just gain some solace from this quote I previously listed: Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
705
gatorjaw wrote:
You people aren't making any sense.


Yeah, we're making sense. You just refuse to see the value in our refusal to play with guns in the Great Spiral.

Calling us unintelligent and immature is certainly not helping your cause.

I'm satisfied that our community has made our case clearly, with intelligence, and that the case for guns in this game is firmly closed.

See you in the gun-free Spiral!

Queenlybluebean