Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Firearms. (Yes, That Means Guns.)

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 15, 2009
61
I can't imagine that this hasn't been suggested before, but I haven't seen any. Things people suggest, like shields and gauntlets, would have to completely redesign the game. These would be something like the two-handed weapons. Script a few animations (Yes, I get that's pretty hard,) and then you're just making filler weapons. Maybe if we get a world like somewhere from the Renaissance, all the way to the Old West, (which I would absolutely LOVE, KI!) could implement it as some firearms fitting with lore. I've got a few ideas, too.
Blunderbuss of Blaze: Does some sort of 0-pip, weak fire spell like the wands do.
Flintlock of Frost: Same, with Ice.
Arquebus or Arcing: Storm.
Crossbow of Creation: Myth.
This could also add some kind of new $30-40 pack. Imagine: holding a repeater in your hand while wearing gunslinger garb riding some new horse mount. I can't ramble any longer; it's late and I've had a long day. Anybody want to share their (positive) opinions?

**Edited by Professor Greyrose to add Poll**
Results
Should firearms be part of Wizard101?
Yes 21%
No 79%

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
I don't want guns in Wizard101. I purposely never play any game with guns in them. Its a bad idea to give kids guns even in games, and this is supposed to be a family game.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
705
@Gatorjaw,

I'm afraid I can't offer support for this idea, although it is creative in many ways. Here's why:

Guns are not magical items, like athames, rings, wands, or enchanted swords.

No guns, EVER in this game. If I want to be shot with a gun, I'll go to a first person shooter game, a console game, or a city street IRL. I come to the Spiral to escape the terrible things people do to one another, including shoot each other with guns.

Wizards don't need guns, we have magic.

In fact, I feel so strongly about this that, if KI ever included gun items in Wizard 101, my entire family would cancel our 4 subs and find a new game to play.

Totally opposed to guns in the Great Spiral,

Qbb/Iridian/Moira/Scarlet/Rowan/Alexandria/Taryn

Explorer
Aug 10, 2009
96
gatorjaw wrote:
I can't imagine that this hasn't been suggested before, but I haven't seen any. Things people suggest, like shields and gauntlets, would have to completely redesign the game. These would be something like the two-handed weapons. Script a few animations (Yes, I get that's pretty hard,) and then you're just making filler weapons. Maybe if we get a world like somewhere from the Renaissance, all the way to the Old West, (which I would absolutely LOVE, KI!) could implement it as some firearms fitting with lore. I've got a few ideas, too.
Blunderbuss of Blaze: Does some sort of 0-pip, weak fire spell like the wands do.
Flintlock of Frost: Same, with Ice.
Arquebus or Arcing: Storm.
Crossbow of Creation: Myth.
This could also add some kind of new $30-40 pack. Imagine: holding a repeater in your hand while wearing gunslinger garb riding some new horse mount. I can't ramble any longer; it's late and I've had a long day. Anybody want to share their (positive) opinions?


Ok, not a positive opinion, but this idea is awful. I think you play WAY to many gunner games. Ok, first reason that this is bad. You do know that 5 year olds play this, don't you? Second, this wouldn't be fair for some people who don't like that stuff. KI could lose lots of money for putting that in a family game. It would then be rated probably M, and thats never good for an again, family game. Lots of kids would have to stop playing because their parents see one person get the gun, and use it. The only thing that suits this good, I'd say is the horse mount. And maybe the new wild west world, but without guns. I get that the big game hunter carries one, but he never used it. I rest my case, though I am not an adult, I'm mature enough to see this would ruin KI. Sorry for your idea, but I don't think anyone would put this in an E10 game.

Defender
Jul 09, 2011
113
I know you said positive opinions only but I must speak my peace. Firearms in a child's game isn't very child oriented. Crossbows perhaps but not guns.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
63
gatorjaw wrote:
I can't imagine that this hasn't been suggested before, but I haven't seen any. Things people suggest, like shields and gauntlets, would have to completely redesign the game. These would be something like the two-handed weapons. Script a few animations (Yes, I get that's pretty hard,) and then you're just making filler weapons. Maybe if we get a world like somewhere from the Renaissance, all the way to the Old West, (which I would absolutely LOVE, KI!) could implement it as some firearms fitting with lore. I've got a few ideas, too.
Blunderbuss of Blaze: Does some sort of 0-pip, weak fire spell like the wands do.
Flintlock of Frost: Same, with Ice.
Arquebus or Arcing: Storm.
Crossbow of Creation: Myth.
This could also add some kind of new $30-40 pack. Imagine: holding a repeater in your hand while wearing gunslinger garb riding some new horse mount. I can't ramble any longer; it's late and I've had a long day. Anybody want to share their (positive) opinions?

No.

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
What they said. I love this game--for both myself and my son--precisely because it does not include things like firearms. Like Queenly, I would quit playing if it became just another shooter game. I respect your input, but strongly disagree that this is the direction the game should take.

Tabitha

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4952
I seriously doubt that this will ever happen in this game. This is a family-oriented game. :? And I do not support these ideas at all. Sorry

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1469
Sorry, but-- Well actually, I'm not sorry. This is not a good idea for a family game. I'd like Wizard101 to stay gun-free, please.

Defender
Sep 29, 2010
124
What in the world were you thinking? Not only are guns something a child should never come to like, have you EVER seen Harry Potter use a gun? I'm pretty sure you haven't. If you want guns go and play Grand Theft Auto, or Halo, but keep guns OUT of Wizard101.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
This is not Western 101, does not include anything with fantasy sorry i disagree with this post.

Delver
Sep 20, 2009
275
Wiz101 is for 10+. Not every teenager plays games with firearms. No way. K.I. would never do it anyway.

Explorer
Feb 15, 2009
61
The biggest argument is that guns aren't magic. You know what else isn't magic? Anything. We have swords in real life. Are there any real swords that electrocute on contact? We have pets in real life. Do we have knee-height animals that give people cards to use that summon huge magical monsters? We have mounts in real life. Do we have low-altitude, one-person flying objects that have no means of propulsion? KI, the last time I read your moderation policy, you said you would moderate anything that wasn't helpful. When did that change? Or when did "This is such a terrible idea" become helpful? I'm sure all you people saw the posts demanding for gauntlets, shields, and more schools. Why don't you hea over there to insult ideas? In case you didn't know, guns have been around for over 600 years. You people didn't comlain about Marleybone, which would be after thta. what's so different about this?
KI, you disappoint me. Posters, you anger me.

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
gatorjaw wrote:
The biggest argument is that guns aren't magic. You know what else isn't magic? Anything. We have swords in real life. Are there any real swords that electrocute on contact? We have pets in real life. Do we have knee-height animals that give people cards to use that summon huge magical monsters? We have mounts in real life. Do we have low-altitude, one-person flying objects that have no means of propulsion? KI, the last time I read your moderation policy, you said you would moderate anything that wasn't helpful. When did that change? Or when did "This is such a terrible idea" become helpful? I'm sure all you people saw the posts demanding for gauntlets, shields, and more schools. Why don't you hea over there to insult ideas? In case you didn't know, guns have been around for over 600 years. You people didn't comlain about Marleybone, which would be after thta. what's so different about this?
KI, you disappoint me. Posters, you anger me.


I don't want guns in a game that reflects a fantasy world. Guns are to me indicative of a technological world. You also mention Marleybone, which I think also isn't a good reflection of a fantasy world. Having said that, I do agree with your point,and the lack of thought behind some of these posts. A gun is certainly no worse,or violent than a dragon raining fire upon its enemies,etc.etc. Don't be discouraged by naysayers,or those that don't see the intelligence in your words. The legendary Dr.Seuss put it best when he said “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
705
@Gatorjaw,

It hardly matters how long guns have been around, unless you would like to talk about how much harm has been done in the 600 years since the Chinese invented gunpowder.

Logic: Guns are not magic. Wizards use magic, ergo, we don't use guns.

It is clear that our wizard community does not wish for guns in our game. Getting angry because we as a community disagree with you does nothing constructive to support your argument.

There are too few safe havens in cyberspace as it is, why ruin it?

It seems you do not understand why we choose this game over other, more violent and graphically real, games that we might play online. Sorry that you have taken our group disapproval so hard, but you might try seeing the topic from another point-of-view. Those of us who don't want to expose ourselves and our children to guns DO have a say in the matter.

Keep your guns IRL if you must, but keep them out of the Great Spiral. Fortunately, the NRA does not have a chapter in the Spiral.

Regards,

Qbb Who does not support casual exposure to guns and gun-inspired violence in this wonderful family game.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
705
Pyrsik wrote:
The legendary Dr.Seuss put it best when he said “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


Dr. Seuss also did not approve of gunplay. He was anti-violence, and spent his entire career as a writer creating stories that model and reflect the antithesis of our callous and often violent society.

There is ONE Seuss book that contains a rifle, "A Fly Went By", in which the rifle is the catalyst for a very chaotic and frightened causal chain. Otherwise, you will find his work decidedly gun-free.

If we're gonna talk Seuss, ask yourself this: What would Horton do? I know what he would say, "A person is a person, no matter how small...", and (perhaps) then he would say, "We don't shoot people, no matter how angry we feel."

Qbb

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
The biggest argument is that guns aren't magic.

This is not an accurate reading of the responses to your suggestion. If you re-read the posts on this thread, you will see that the biggest objection is that this is a family game. Young kids play this game, often with parents who really really appreciate the fact that it is not a shooter game, and that the violence, such as it is, is kid-friendly. Monsters slip into the ground after you defeat them, or keel over in cartoonish fashion. They do not bleed from firearm-inflicted wounds. Many parents do not want their 10-year-old kids to play shooter games. That is why W101 is such a success as a business. Because it is family-friendly. Not merely because it is magically-oriented as opposed to technologically-oriented. I accept your (implicit) point that there are lots of magically-focused games out there that are plenty violent. These games, however, are not marketed to children.

The bottom line is that W101 is a family game. Hence, no guns.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4952
tabby714 wrote:
Posters, you anger me.

Please don't shoot us.

LOL!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2632
Other family games have implemented guns too. ToonTown has squirt guns and FreeRealms has card guns.

So as long as the guns don't shoot bullets, I don't think the guns are that bad.

Granted, if they shot out flowers or rainbows, I probably wouldn't want to stitch it, but to each their own.

But if they shoot out magic (like the much requested MoonBeam animation) that might be an option.

I agree that KI is unlikely to implement any guns into the game, but it is a suggestion nonetheless.

Explorer
Aug 10, 2009
96
gatorjaw wrote:
The biggest argument is that guns aren't magic. You know what else isn't magic? Anything. We have swords in real life. Are there any real swords that electrocute on contact? We have pets in real life. Do we have knee-height animals that give people cards to use that summon huge magical monsters? We have mounts in real life. Do we have low-altitude, one-person flying objects that have no means of propulsion? KI, the last time I read your moderation policy, you said you would moderate anything that wasn't helpful. When did that change? Or when did "This is such a terrible idea" become helpful? I'm sure all you people saw the posts demanding for gauntlets, shields, and more schools. Why don't you hea over there to insult ideas? In case you didn't know, guns have been around for over 600 years. You people didn't comlain about Marleybone, which would be after thta. what's so different about this?
KI, you disappoint me. Posters, you anger me.


Doggy, slow down. Look, in case you havent noticed, nobody supports your idea. Slow down. If you wanna play a gun game, go play one on Xbox Live. Not Wizard101. This isnt Guns101, its wizard101. KI wants family friendly games. Not shoot-em-up violent games. We realize none of this is real, thats the exact reason we play for sake. None of us play this to shoot monsters. We all play it to cast spells to destroy them for us. Get it? Guns arent for family games. Get that through your head. No, lets put this topic to rest already. Gatorjaw, my word of advice. Go play another game that doesnt involve guns or magic. See if that suits you. If not, try to play a game other then w101 and leave us to our own fun.

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
175
I'm just bringing up that it would look pretty awkward doodling our spells in the air with a gun and then shooting at it to cast...

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
queenlybluebean wrote:
Dr. Seuss also did not approve of gunplay. He was anti-violence, and spent his entire career as a writer creating stories that model and reflect the antithesis of our callous and often violent society.


My post was nothing about if someone approves or disproves of guns. You read my response,but you did not comprehend. It was merely pointing out that some of the posts suggested a problem with gun violence,but have no qualms with other kinds of violence. I even listed the dragon scenario as one of many examples. Think about it. What is more violent and horrific,a gun used in violence, or a dragon that roasts people alive with its flame breathe? If you have an agenda against guns,that is certainly your prerogative,but to beret others for their suggestions,when there are clearly more heinous examples that are already in play, suggestions a double-standard,or a weak argument at the very least. Furthermore,the original poster was not initiating any pro-gun rhetoric,he just posted a request in an intelligent manner,which some of the posters chided him for. I reflect his disdain for the weak and callouses responses. There was nothing wrong with his post,but ignorance was rampant in a few of the responses.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
1. A small wand
2. A staff
3. A sword
4. An axe
5. All of the sudden modern warfare?

Wizard101 has the past weapons and takes place in the past if you have not noticed, but you have quite an imagination!

Explorer
Sep 04, 2008
73
i play this game for fun, its nice, i like the story line, and my parents dont mind about it being violent, if my parents see a gun in it while i am playing, they will cancel my subscription and force me to stop playing, because they(and i) will think it is trying to make shooting yourself(and others) a postive thing, this gun idea is also not magic, we use Magic, not Guns,