Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Thursday 7/3/14

AuthorMessage
Administrator
A wee bit early for a Feedback Friday, but as tomorrow is a holiday for us, I figured that you wouldn't mind. ::grin:: So, it's time for feedback Thursday!

Today's question is about dungeons, bosses, and secrets! We'd like to know... would you like to see more secret bosses in dungeons? If so, what challenges would you put in front of them to keep them secret and... challenging to access?

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone, and a happy 4th of July if you celebrate that type of thing!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
I would love to see more secret bosses in certain dungeons that have extremely unique cheats or unique passive cheats, such as being able to cast twice in a turn, half pip cost, or more unique cheats. It would add more challenge to the game, but knowing difficult bosses are hard to fight, their drop pools could be immense

Alexander Lionheart - 100

Survivor
May 25, 2011
Professor Falmea on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
A wee bit early for a Feedback Friday, but as tomorrow is a holiday for us, I figured that you wouldn't mind. ::grin:: So, it's time for feedback Thursday!

Today's question is about dungeons, bosses, and secrets! We'd like to know... would you like to see more secret bosses in dungeons? If so, what challenges would you put in front of them to keep them secret and... challenging to access?

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone, and a happy 4th of July if you celebrate that type of thing!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
Hi,
Secret boss are so rare their drops are rare specially cronus in tartarus and gladiator in mount olympusFor me these two secret bosses r so special , they also drops good reagents, Tc, and gear to sell :)-----

Survivor
Dec 02, 2008
I LOVE secret bosses. It's a big reason the Tree of Life is my favorite dungeon, and Marleybone/Mooshu are my favorite worlds partly due to the fact that the hardest bosses are secret. Plus, their unique loot and pets make them great for farming, even if they sit at the end of a dungeon.

I am a little disappointed that the only new secret boss in Morganthe's Arc is those well-dwelling goblins in Avalon. There are always many buildings, in dungeons or whatnot, that are unused and would be great for secret boss lairs. There would even be room for gear now (and pets naturally) as Morganthe doesn't drop any good hats/robes/boots.

Challenge-wise, cheats are often annoying, but many secret bosses are known for their abundant health points. It would be great seeing off-the-charts HP (up to 100k) but none of those frustrating cheats - or at least cheats that really are fun to navigate around.

Either way, if secret bosses are added to existing worlds or future worlds, I would be nothing but ecstatic, and I hope you guys consider adding more

Survivor
Jul 09, 2013
I love secret bosses because of the gear they drop, like Smogger in Katzenstein lab. I like them because they drop the rarest and best looking items. Like the celestial Storm robe. Balance jester hat

Explorer
Jun 16, 2011
I would love to see more secret bosses. There lots of fun to find, and fight! To keep them secret I think it would be cool to have them in a forest. No path, just a small gap in the trees, that leads to the battle sigle (is this spelled right?)

level 93
level 29
level 21
level 10
level 8
level 8
P.S. Falmea, I love your hair!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Challenges to get to a boss? Here are a few off the top of my head.
  • How about if there's a fake wall in a dungeon that randomly changes location on each instance? That could be interesting.
  • What if there were dungeon-only reagents or collect-items, such as keys, that you had to gather up before secret boss rooms would unlock?
  • What if you could only access a secret boss if you possessed a certain player badge, such as the Explorer series badges?

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Secret bosses and dungeons are fun and bring a little something extra to game play.

You can have secret bosses and dungeons tied to certain times of the month, to honor individuals, holidays, or special events. Even as an introduction, to new or expanding storylines.

Secret Boss dungeons, I'd love to access:
  • Players battle W101 professors one-on-one; as well as multiple professors simultaneously
  • Players battle any of the other NPC characters, one-on-one or with multiple NPC characters
  • Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc... one-on-one, or with multiple fantasy characters
  • Players battle Shadow, copied, or cloned versions of their wizards, either one on one, or with multiple players
  • Pirate101 bosses
  • W101 wizards battle P101 pirates (hey its my secret boss dungeon fantasy; and I'm sticking too it)
I'd also love to access a secret boss that provides fantastic cursed and beneficial rewards:

• Players receive time durations drops that temporarily transform players into silly looking, non-menacing fantasy animals, creatures or NPC (squirrel, unicorn, hamster, Santa Claus, W101 Vendor or other NPC, etc)
  • Players temporarily have their wizard school changed to another school for a set period of time, so they're forced to only use other wizard school spells they can access
  • Players are awarded temporary random level companion wizards that follow them around for set time-frames (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 24 or more hours) into battles and dungeons (this doesn't eliminate hiring henchman, but how cool would it be to have a cursed or beneficial wizard automatically team with you as you enter battles and dungeons)

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I thought the secret bosses in Aquila were pretty cool, but Cronus and Gladiator Dimachaerus in particular are kinda pathetic. (No joke, you can kill Dimachaerus with just magus-level wizards) Maybe make ones that are a little stronger?
On an unrelated note, I think you could have done better 2ith the Morganthe battle. I would think if we were to fight the final boss of the game, we'd fight something more interesting than 4 20some thousand health bosses who occasionally cast a largish AoE cheat is really lacking in my opinion.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2012
Yes, i want more secret bosses! The challenges would be like you are in a huge dungeon and at the end in the corner is a door. It would be concealed by different objects like grass or a wall, but if you look around you could find it!

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Secret bosses are always a nice thing to include, I think I would hide them behind a secret wall, like the one that used to be a shortcut from the entrance of Zafarias black palace to the final boss. The part of the wall that the boss is behind should have a suspicious look to it, and seem slightly different from the other walls.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Everyone loves secret bosses, me just as much as anyone else and so far you've been right on the money for me. Just two things that need to be addressed, I think. One is that from secret bosses and any boss, players should get drops for their school. It's not much help saying you can sell those off-school drops, we can often have too much gold and not much left to spend it on, at the top of the game. They clog up our backpacks and just generally cause a hassle. So please Professor Falmea, please talk to those bosses about this. Also, hide them but don't make them impossible to find : Dimacherus and Cronus are about as hidden as i like to get!

Defender
Feb 09, 2009
why make it challenging to get there, make the drops, for us to want to farm them. i like the secret bosses, from marleybone to cronus.
how about fixing loremaster's recall, as well as winterbane's.

Survivor
Jan 05, 2013
That would be awesome if we could have more secret bosses. You should make them a bit harder to find. They can drop gear sets, including the level 100 gear, but they should be in a main quest line area, not on bundles. Maybe the bosses should me like the Oni's in Mooshu (two battles).

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
Make them not even appear until you finish some secret task. The secret task could be: step in a certain spot, talk to a certain NPC, pay a certain NPC certain items/gold/TC's/reagents/etc, pick up a certain collectible, pass through certain walls that are really optical illusions (like the walls that hide secrets in castles), activate certain flags/banners/switches/etc, do specific emotes, say certain things in menu chat, or even defeat certain enemies in a specific order/quantity. Or maybe a combo of two or more of the tasks I just listed. Mix it up, make the secret bosses fun (by "fun", I mean "difficult") to find, then make their drops really awesome!!!!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I would like to see more secret bosses. Maybe even ones that drop unique items that you can only get from them.

I think access to them could be a secret door or area that opens up if you solve a puzzle or activate a secret switch that is not so obvious.

Cheats on these bosses would be fine as long as they are within reason and not as hard as the ones in Tower of the Helephant.

Explorer
Jun 04, 2011
Something that I think would be super cool and exclusive would be to have only a certain school be able to access a certain secret boss, and get a really cool school only badge for completing that boss. Then maybe make a boss for each school; that would be SO COOL!

Mackenzie Stormblade Lvl. 99 Promethean Diviner

Defender
Dec 15, 2013
secret bosses are awesome. to gain access to the secret boss there is a gate that is disguised really good and a lever that is also hidden. the lever does not work so u defeat some bad guys that has the pieces. { the chance of getting the pieces from the bad guys on a scale to 1-10 is a 3. so u need to defeat a lot of bad guys.} then u need to fix the lever with the pieces u collected. { u need 10 pieces for the lever.} after u fix the lever u pull on the lever and the gate opens. then their is 2 path ways. choose the right one and u are close to the secret boss. choose the wrong path and there will be some bad guys that will try to stop u. if u choose the right one there will be a really hard puzzle that u need to solve. if u solve u are in the secret bosses lair of EVIL. there u see the secret boss. waiting for u. the secret boss says that many wizards have tried to defeat him but nobody defeated him. he also says that he will crush anybody in his way that trys to stop him from ruling the spiral. after u defeat the secret boss u get a permanent mount and a new pet and a house and new clothing that is in ur level and in ur school. u also get a new amulet and athames that is also in ur school and ur level. well thats it. sorry if i wrote to much. KanefrieRider lvl. 40

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Reading through the posts, how about a secret boss you have to craft one or more items to access the actual dungeon, with the boss rewarding you with extreme rare recipes for equipment, housing items, pets, spells, etc...

In addition to dropping recipes, how about also randomly dropping all the regents to these recipes too. Also have the boss reveal or share clues about crafted the weapons, armor, and other gear that when used in this battle bring extra bonuses regarding accuracy, damage, critical hits, and more.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I love secret bosses!

One way I would like to access them is with failures on objectives. Example, in the White Owl Tower you must make the right potion to continue on with the storyline. If you get the wrong combination you fight random enemies to slow you down.

However, I believe there should be "secret" combinations of items to access hidden bosses. The more combinations....the better!

Survivor
Dec 09, 2011
How about a dungeon with five or six doors. You choose which door you go into but if the secret boss is not behind that door, you have to wait a certain amount of hours before you can try another door.
Drops need to be better. So many times when you fight a boss you get items of clothing that have no relation to your school or the boss that drops them.
Another idea is to have a secret boss challenge. When you do the first secret boss (can't remember which one that was) it gives you a clue to the next one and so on till you have completed all the secret bosses in order of strength. You then get a special badge.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Yes please! More secret bosses with unique drops.

Administrator
So, the consensus is we hate secret bosses and no more of them, right? ::grin::

Just kidding, of course! You love them! That's great! I'll share these thoughts and suggestions with the staff. A new Feedback Friday shall be posted shortly.

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
No more secret bosses. Having these bosses doesn't necessarily make it a 'challenge' to the game.

I would rather see more fun things implemented rather than the alleged 'hardcore' cheating, tough secret bosses, who have a horrible RNG and you never get anything dropped that's halfway decent.

The only reason others who posted want it is because they are young, play other tougher games, including console, and they seem to want all games to play the same way and want to make W101 fall into that category. Hardcore, challenging, and boring. We don't need it.