Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Would you return to previous worlds to fight stronger versions of existing boss monsters?

Yes!
81% [112]
No.
18% [25]

Feedback Friday 8-8-14

AuthorMessage
Delver
Feb 28, 2012
It would depend on the possible drops, the guaranteed drops, the gold, the exp if a quest directed me to them (you will eventually raise the level cap), the difficulty of making them appear / finding them, if they are solo only / mutiplayer, the phase of the moon, and the alignment of the stars and planets, especially Pluto.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2012
I voted "no," not because I don't like harder bosses, but it's the manner in which the bosses are made harder. Cheating bosses are an easy way for the developers to make things harder, but they don't add to the enjoyment of a game. You could load a boss with new types of spells, better shields, more health, etc... these are all fine. For me, once a boss can cast multiple spells in the same round it ruins the fun of the game. So any cheating boss I face is always done out of necessity and never revisited.

Also, how would this work for newer characters? Clearly you couldn't make Rattlebones more challenging for level 50 characters and have him still be appropriate for the newbies?

I just recently realized that my level 72 Balance Wizard never completed Kensington in MB. After failing at it the first time, I completely forgot about it. I like the idea of keeping the level of the quests relative to the world you're in so that you know what to expect. I think Grizzleheim has actually been done very well, with multilevel areas that keep it challenging as the characters grow.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I think a good comprmise would be to have a gladiator arena of some sort where defeated bosses go for redemption after they've improved their skills.

I think of a place like Waterworks where you spend hours farming for the gear. Sometimes the drops are good, but sometimes they are terrible. A couple of my wizards got the complete set in 2 or 3 runs, others have done it 30 times or more and still never got a complete set. One life wizard still only has the boots.

The last thing I want, after I've improved my wizards, is to go back there and have it even harder to get nothing. I want it to be easier with my now more powerful wizards, who are a bit stronger, so that I waste less time. And that goes for any dungeon or boss that has items that are of any value (to me) that doesn't drop those items frequently enough.

For the people who want to rebattle improved versions of bosses for the challenge, give them the option elsewhere. Unless there's an option before entering which degree of difficulty you want to face, I'd rather the bosses and dungeons remain unaltered. It's really only beneficial to players who speed through everything and have run out of things to keep them engaged.

I only have a few hours per day that I can play (and not every day), and some of my wizards are still far behind. Only 2 of 12 have completed Khrysalis so far, and 4 still haven't even started. 2 are still in Avalon. Some might have been farther along already if they hadn't spent so much fruitless time farming for gear in Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, Mount Olympus, and/or Tartarus. The challenge of defeating bosses who have suddenly become more powerful only to still walk away empty handed is not what I consider to be an enjoyable gaming experience.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2010
My level 100 wizards usually ends up fighting alone. With higher level bosses I have to purchase henchman. I have limited financial resources so I would fight them once but never again.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I voted no, both because I generally dislike hard bosses to begin with, and because I really love the light and fun feel of the earlier worlds. I really dislike the idea of going back and making the early worlds hard and unpleasant too. For me, Wizard101 was perfect in the earlier days; this whole move to make things harder for me is a real downer.

That said, I could see some value in it if new and unique and really helpful items were made available relative to the higher level options -- as long as they were not made ridiculously rare and hard to get.

If this were implemented, I would definitely want there to be a choice of what level you were to fight, not have it be automatically set to the hardest level possible relative to your character. That way people could play the style of game they like, easy-going or hard. It does not have to be one-size fits all.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2012
Yes, if they drop better drops. I believe it would be fun to return to unicorn way with higher level bosses. I'd love to see the old bosses again

Ashley LifeDreamer

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
There are lots of unused doors & buildings in the 1st arc worlds, the "bigger" versions could be in a different location in the same area.

A questline similar to the chests you had to gather to make your dragon rider staff and maybe a story about these "old" bosses being brought back; bigger and badder than ever would be fun. Especially if the boss "remembers" that last time you "met". Good writing would be important, let the humor flow. Whatever torture you put them through when they were writing Avalon would be a good start.

I have to agree that the drops would have to be worth the time and effort.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
yes, I'd enjoy that if they gave better rewards, or better odds at the good rewards.

For instance let's say regular Nightshade has a 1/100 chance at dropping a Rainbow Bunny mount, but level 60 version has 1/25 or level 100 version has 1/12. Something like that.

It might be more fun to fight "revised" old bosses somewhere else, the way Belloq keeps coming back, or the Galleries bosses.

I'd love a new version of the Pylon bosses or the DS Plaza of Conquests. It's been a while since we had bosses in the open like that.

I'd rather do a harder fight fewer times for a drop. Grinding the same enemies over and over is not fun, and too much of the game is that way now.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
Talon StormShade on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
I wanna see the return of Lord Nightshade!
YES, now that's the one I want to see the most

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
High Five Ghost on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
I think a good comprmise would be to have a gladiator arena of some sort where defeated bosses go for redemption after they've improved their skills.

I think of a place like Waterworks where you spend hours farming for the gear. Sometimes the drops are good, but sometimes they are terrible. A couple of my wizards got the complete set in 2 or 3 runs, others have done it 30 times or more and still never got a complete set. One life wizard still only has the boots.

The last thing I want, after I've improved my wizards, is to go back there and have it even harder to get nothing. I want it to be easier with my now more powerful wizards, who are a bit stronger, so that I waste less time. And that goes for any dungeon or boss that has items that are of any value (to me) that doesn't drop those items frequently enough.

For the people who want to rebattle improved versions of bosses for the challenge, give them the option elsewhere. Unless there's an option before entering which degree of difficulty you want to face, I'd rather the bosses and dungeons remain unaltered. It's really only beneficial to players who speed through everything and have run out of things to keep them engaged.

I only have a few hours per day that I can play (and not every day), and some of my wizards are still far behind. Only 2 of 12 have completed Khrysalis so far, and 4 still haven't even started. 2 are still in Avalon. Some might have been farther along already if they hadn't spent so much fruitless time farming for gear in Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, Mount Olympus, and/or Tartarus. The challenge of defeating bosses who have suddenly become more powerful only to still walk away empty handed is not what I consider to be an enjoyable gaming experience.
This is very well stated, and I agree completely. Thank you.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
My conditions for going back to fight them are simple:

if the drops were worth it
if they're not solo only
if there was a REASON to go back and do them, I would consider it

Perhaps, make a gauntlet of all the old bosses, kinda like the Spiral cup, where we could go in and choose who we want to fight

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
i would be willing to fight malistair's ghost (not malistair the undying this is different). but only if it were in the end of the new world.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Hello everyone,
I have to agree to what has been said before me. I think only some bosses should come back with higher ranks, and have appropriate drops. However, I do think that would be a great "throwback" thing to do, either in making it a quest, or having it as a special.

~Shannon Skybreaker

Defender
Dec 12, 2012
I would love this idea! As long as they aren't locked in solo mode or stuff like that, and they better drop good stuff!

Survivor
Sep 02, 2013
I would only do it if it had really cool drops.
Soloing it would be a good challenge, but I think more people would like it if they could do it with a team.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
If you were to add in more difficult versions of existing bosses, I would think that they should have increased difficulty dungeons. For example, in Marleybone and below the difficult dungeons that are extreme should be like a base for later ones. An idea is battling the 4 oni enemies all with 10k at once. Also, the original battle with Malistare should have some cheats because I feel as if it didn't live up to the hype it received through the first arch. Anyways, there should definitely be a special dungeon in Dragonspyre called The Greater/Greatest Spyre that features Malistare with 100000 health and some hard cheats meant for level 100s. It would also have high health minions and be all together an epic battle. All in all, I feel that the game would definitely be enhanced by the reuse of bosses (except for Belloq, he ruins everyone's day). Particularly bosses that have missing information but be really intriguing or bosses with exceptional and unique models.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Great idea, but we should still be able to switch between easy and hard mode, just in case.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Yes please!

I always like fighting bosses that drop special items. Hard is fun, and I like cheats (within reason). It's great to change things up.

Maybe some of the old bosses could come back in the story with new evil plans? Slyster says "you ain't seen the last of me" at the end, so perhaps he is cooking up a new scam and we'll have to stop him again.

Difficult fights fewer times is more interesting than repetitive grinding of a boring instance or mob. Drop rates for good items now are much too low.

Please do give us more tough side bosses, but improve the rewards.

WARNING: Thread hijack in progress...

How about some cool looking new school emblem gear drops?

Random idea: Instead of introducing old enemies only to fight, what if one came back as an ally?

For instance we liberated the Helephant, so suppose we had to go fight an enemy in the stars for a SOLO school quest or something, but the Helephant joined us in the fight like a henchman (because we freed him). It should be an enemy we fought for his/her own good & they should be upgraded to our level.

We could meet up with old NPCs too, like our early friends from Ravenwood. Maybe Penny Dreadful (who is now level 100 like us) will pop back in to help us for a fight or two. Or how about sending us to fight a reanimated level 100 Harvest Lord solo, but we are joined with a level 100 Susie Gryphonbane and/or her brother as henchmen?

Those would be better as one-time or event quests, as I don't want henchmen or minions when farming. It would be a fun side story though. Entertaining and different, like the Morganthe Memories fights. Make a unique automatic drop for doing it.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, I'd go back and fight, but would love for the drops to be unique--something not found anywhere else in the spiral or rare. Make it worth it!

Scarlet RoseBlossom Wizard 53

Survivor
Aug 10, 2010
Yes! Harder bosses we can choose to go back to, but not mandatory. As long as the drops were epic to go with the difficulty!

Administrator
Sounds like this would be a popular idea - that is, if you were allowed to bring your friends and the rewards were in line with the risks. I'll share this with the team.

A new topic will be up shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea