Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-14-17

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi Wizards! What a week! We launched our Summer Update, and now that it's Friday, it's time to chat about something new.

This week, let's talk about big baddies that don't stay in one place.
#1 - Do you like wandering bosses (like the Fairy Queen in Unicorn Way)?
#2 - If so, what's your favorite one? If not, what would make you like them more?

We're looking forward to your responses! Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Professor Falmea on Jul 14, 2017 wrote:
Hi Wizards! What a week! We launched our Summer Update, and now that it's Friday, it's time to chat about something new.

#2 - If so, what's your favorite one? If not, what would make you like them more?

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
My favorite is Endurzaga, because I like fighting in the desert.

I would have wandering bosses drop unique loot that isn't restricted to just pets. All the level 120+ gear is restricted to Sands of Time bosses, and I would like there being more variety in where you can farm for gear. Polaris had Baba Yaga (who was around in the beginning of Polaris) drop level 110+ gear, which was nice. It even let casual players find max levels who were farming to help them get through the instance. I also liked how Baba Yaga dropped level 105+ gear. It wasn't as good as the first tier 110 gear, but it was good enough.

I want Empyrean wandering bosses to drop unique level 125+ and 130+ gear that ISN'T dropped by any of the final boss(es). Put a random wandering boss in one of the first zones and have him drop good 125+ gear. It gives people a major incentive to quest if they get good gear that is a couple levels ahead of them early on in the world.

I also see players on the forums are complaining that pet training takes too long. While I have thousands of mega snacks from my Couch Potatoes, I realize that others don't garden, so it would be nice if the wandering bosses drop Fancy Yogurt, Golden Wheat Bread, and Captain Cantaloupes.

Writing this post about putting high level gear in early world bosses also makes me think about a similar subject. PLEASEEEEEEEEEE don't pull another Azteca where you require the crafted gear recipe vendors to be rescued in storyline progression at the END of the world. I want to equip level 124 and 126 crafted gear AS I reach those levels, NOT when I'm 130. Put the crafted gear recipe vendors in some market zone in a place that you can EASILY access just by porting, so we can prepare and craft our gear a couple levels before we are able to equip it.

These changes may seem small, but I assure you they'll make all the difference on players' reception once Empyrea is released.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
They're okay, I guess. I would only want to ensure that whatever monsters they're mixed in with have a part of their patrol that they don't share with the boss. People who don't want the boss shouldn't have to worry about someone pulling it in.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
Professor Falmea on Jul 14, 2017 wrote:

I don't like wandering bosses at all. if your out questing and you need to fight certain mobs you have to be real careful you don't pull the boss by mistake because your mob deck wont have the spells you need to fight a boss such as feints or you wont have enough blades or the right attack spells.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I dont mind wandering bosses, but if they dont have a purpose, I dont see the point. For example, there's those many bosses in the dungeons before you fight Jotun. They dont really DO anything special. It always seemed just soo random to me. I dont mind having "extra" bosses, but they should have a purpose other than to hold up your mission. I hope Im not sounding TOO critical. Perhaps if they had a purpose, I would like them more. That said, if they DO have a purpose, I am clearly missing it, and I'm willing to acknowledge that's a possibility. perhaps later on, all those wandering bosses could be part of a huge holiday/event quest chain

Explorer
Jan 22, 2012
I don't like wandering bosses but I would like them more if they dropped unique pieces of gear

Daniel
Champion Necromancer

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
I believe wandering bosses is great to have. They're a novelty that has only recently made a comeback in Polaris and Mirage, so I would expect Empyrea to be the same, since I am really hoping for wandering bosses in Empyrea to take my mind off questing. I also love the fact that the Polaris and Mirage wandering bosses each drop a unique pet.

My favorite wandering boss? Wow, that's tough. I would say Babbling Meints is my favorite, he reminds me of the gobblers from Colossus Boulevard, and I get a sense of nostalgia that really brightens my day.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2013
I don't like the wandering boss at all and I see no point in the unless you have it to where they drop loot that is worth it and not just pets.

Survivor
Oct 12, 2012
Wandering bosses are fine. Like many on this forum, I conclude that the biggest problem is that of being pulled into an unwanted fight. I can tell many tales of getting stuck in the Labyrinth while my teammates were continue onward. If you were to keep wandering bosses, do make them optional, which in most cases has already been done.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I think wandering bosses are a very cool concept. However, I don't think there's much of an incentive to go out and seek these bosses. Perhaps you could make wandering boss badges? Each boss would have a badge, and players would receive that badge after defeating them at least once? You could even make a badge for defeating all of the wandering bosses.

While badges might be a good incentive to face each boss once, replayability would depend on boss drops. Unique gear, mega snacks, and unhatchable pets are just some of the options that might interest players.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Vanessa Mythdust on Jul 16, 2017 wrote:
I think wandering bosses are a very cool concept. However, I don't think there's much of an incentive to go out and seek these bosses. Perhaps you could make wandering boss badges? Each boss would have a badge, and players would receive that badge after defeating them at least once? You could even make a badge for defeating all of the wandering bosses.

While badges might be a good incentive to face each boss once, replayability would depend on boss drops. Unique gear, mega snacks, and unhatchable pets are just some of the options that might interest players.
The wandering bosses in Mirage give some extras

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I do like the idea of the wandering bosses, but rarely have fought any of them more than a few times because there's rarely a good reason to.

Remember the days when we could camp out at Viktor Snowcrusher's lair and fight him over and over for his fantastic boots? That's what I miss about classic Wizard101. He was easy to get to, he respawned within minutes, and you didn't need to devote hours and a full team to the slim chance of something dropping at the end of an agonizing dungeon.

The wandering bosses in later worlds are nothing like Viktor or the Hoarder. Aside from truly Epic pets, they never drop anything else worth grinding for. And as for the pets, I have gone up against those bosses who have them dozens of times and guess what... They NEVER drop. So it's just mindless fighting for nothing.

That guy in Forlorn Tayg never drops the owl. Detolli never drops his dragon. That guy in Caterwaul Canyons never drops his Grimoire and the guy in the Alkali Burrows never drops the hawk. Or if they do drop those pets, it's so seldom as to be effectively never. (I fought all of these bosses at least 20 times each - over 80 battles! - and not even 1 single pet dropped from any of them.)

So why not have the wandering bosses drop great gear in addition to great pets...?

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Oct 17, 2011
Vanessa Mythdust on Jul 16, 2017 wrote:

Agreed, no one will have any will to encounter these unless they get something out of it, I would go for mega snack drops personally. Also, maybe make them a little more rare than the regular mobs because nobody wants to get pulled into battles with them by accident.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
I kinda like enemies that you don't specifically have to fight for a quest (whether it be a main or side one). It kinda gives this feeling that not every single thing has to deal with you. These wandering bosses certainly are this.

I don't really know about picking favorites. But one thing I don't quite enjoy about these wandering bosses is how, if you're here to fight the enemies that are wandering around, your entire battle becomes jeopardized if one of those wandering bosses ends up joining. You and your friends are probably set to blade up and launch some powerful AoE hits, and you might not have really set things aside in case the boss does decide to pop in. Perhaps future wandering bosses could be designed so that they don't cause too much of a hassle if you accidentally get them while you're out fighting those minions.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I think that wandering optional bosses (like the Fairy Queen) are pretty neat! Although, I wasn't a fan of having required bosses wander around (like in the Labyrinth), which makes it difficult to find them and to successfully enter combat.

Defender
Jun 08, 2015
Administrator
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. The Professors and I will keep that in mind in the future. A new topic shall be appearing shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea