Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 5-26-17

AuthorMessage
Administrator
It's Friday once again, and that means it's time for some feedback! Hooray!

This week, let's talk about humble beginnings. My question to you is - what do you wish you would have had to start the game as a new Wizard? Could you have used more (or less) tutorials? A set of gear right away to give you a leg up on those meanies in Unicorn Way? A mount to get you moving more quickly? Did you pick up gardening, fishing, pets, and all the other fun things to do easily at what felt like the right time?

We're looking forward to your input.

Have a safe, fun, and fantastic weekend (long one if you celebrate).

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Defender
Mar 04, 2012
Professor Falmea on May 26, 2017 wrote:

This week, let's talk about humble beginnings. My question to you is - what do you wish you would have had to start the game as a new Wizard? Could you have used more (or less) tutorials? A set of gear right away to give you a leg up on those meanies in Unicorn Way? A mount to get you moving more quickly? Did you pick up gardening, fishing, pets, and all the other fun things to do easily at what felt like the right time?

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
Hi I would have loved if there was tutorial how gear worked when I started I thought that if you had gear with a ton of different spells you would be super strong I didn't realize what the stats where for for awhile i think it might help young players to know ahead of time how it works also great k I live today super fun

Defender
Nov 10, 2015
There has been a post recently about somebody wanting more actual wands instead of swords and banners and stuff and I agree. This isn't in the beginning but throughout the whole game.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Survivor
Nov 27, 2015
The different professors tell you different tips depending on what school you are. Like lets say Halston Balstrom were to tell storms that they should not focus just on gear that gives you health and go for stats instead

Survivor
May 16, 2013
I think for me, I wish I had had more help picking my initial character. The opening test really doesn't do a good job of preparing you for the playing style - for instance, my belief that a hurricane is stronger than a plague (which, what does that even mean to begin with?) had no bearing on whether or not storm was better fit for my personality than death was (factors like length of battle, solo vs team, defensive vs offensive). The opening scene also doesn't really seem to make sense with the rest of the game plot-wise, so I wonder if it could be reworked into something that allows players to briefly test-drive each of the schools before picking one?

The second thing I would say is this: I personally as an older player and artistic type was able to really get into housing (specifically castle magic, which is unbelievably cool), but I know a lot of the younger/beginning players I've invited to my homes seem like they have no real introduction to the possibilities they could create with housing - and when they see the possibilities, they seem very invested in them! For whatever reason, castle tours just doesn't seem to consistently rank that great of houses (for instance, Paige Moonshade's houses which seem universally liked are rarely ranked as far as I've seen). I'm wondering if maybe w101 could spotlight some sample houses that are particularly good for young wizards to give them inspiration. Perhaps limit the slots to around 10 different houses? I really think beginning players would be more interested if they had some more models - especially for castle magic. For instance, by using castle magic, I was able to create a cutscene where the pegasus statue "transforms" back into a live pegasus, a bell you ring summons a magic island from the water, and where planets appear to rotate and revolve around a space station. They've been very well received - but so many kids don't have models for this stuff, and I wish they could.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2011
I hear a lot of new wizards wishing for a mount to get around with so ya maybe a tiger or lion to start the game with would be nice like a welcome pack when you get your first membership would be nice to

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I think the start of game works fine the way it is. A mount early on would be a nice thing.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010

Defiantly a mount & more tutorials would have been nice, because the very first time I fizzled, I said what in the world was that?

Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
The one thing I would like is more room in my backpack its ok when you start but at lvl 120 with all the new outfits we need more room to store clothes.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2013
I think the beginning of the game is fine but a mount would be nice like a 40% permanent mount. Also another thing that is sort of with this is when the level cap increases next have the level 50 exlir increase as well.

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
Not being snarky, but probably the ability to go to more places than just Triton and Unicorn Way without paying. Those were the days. But I love this game, no doubt.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
What I detested about starting off, was the complete lack of any decent gear. The options, for quite some time, are horrendous. No, I am NOT asking for anything unreasonable, but the gear needs a little bit of a buff. The gear vs damage ratio should be better.. Even at a young level, we should be able to do a few fights without having to find healing wisps all the time. Even if I have a max wizard buy gear for my newbie, (s)he still takes damage like (s)he was doused in acid. Perhaps make new low level gear that has more diverse stats. Even if you made a set of newbie gear, that combined, gave 1% resist to all schools, that would be a huge improvement. This is JUST an example, but Im sure you get my intent; more balanced gameplay at lower levels. Even if my idea isnt feasible, the gist is there

Survivor
Aug 19, 2011
Probably a witch's broom mount for each wizard. That's all that I can think about.

Defender
Apr 06, 2013

A mount or a better tutorial on about gear.

Alejandro

Survivor
Apr 12, 2015
I would love to know how to do castle magic. I know how to buy things for my castle but to be able to do more than place things that I win or buy would be great.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2012
First: I feel like players should be able to have all of wizard city free because there are so many worlds on only have two areas doesn't give players enough time to fully understand and learn about the story line. If they had all of wizard city they would be left at sort of a cliff hanger and want to know more so they would buy a member and go to krok and so on.

Second: I feel like a mount would be cool maybe not a 40% but possibly a 30% so they arent as fast as most players but they can still get around quicker than without having a mount.

Defender
Dec 18, 2010
dayerider on May 27, 2017 wrote:
What I detested about starting off, was the complete lack of any decent gear. The options, for quite some time, are horrendous. No, I am NOT asking for anything unreasonable, but the gear needs a little bit of a buff. The gear vs damage ratio should be better.. Even at a young level, we should be able to do a few fights without having to find healing wisps all the time. Even if I have a max wizard buy gear for my newbie, (s)he still takes damage like (s)he was doused in acid. Perhaps make new low level gear that has more diverse stats. Even if you made a set of newbie gear, that combined, gave 1% resist to all schools, that would be a huge improvement. This is JUST an example, but Im sure you get my intent; more balanced gameplay at lower levels. Even if my idea isnt feasible, the gist is there
For newbies theres the explorer boots, with give 1% universal resist. And that was just the boots. Starting out on my ice (who is only lvl 11 btw), I had used those boots along with a few other things for resist, and focused the rest on damage.

Explorer
Jan 22, 2012
When I first started, I wish I had better pieces of starter gear that wizard101 would give us. Gear with at least better stats when starting and I also wished they had a tutorial on gear stats and a guide on wizard101 school gear

Daniel
Champion Necromancer lvl 120

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Honestly, gardening is very badly designed.

I recently started a level 20 wizard who was still in Krokotopia with 10 dropped Pink Dandelions. She went from level 0 gardener to level 7 after the first elder harvest. By the second elder harvest, she was a rank 10 gardener.

Here's the problem: she's in Krok and can plant frozen or deadly fly traps, but she can't access the higher ranked gardening spells she needs to actually grow these plants she reaches Mooshu. They get rank 5 pests. The most she can train for in Krok is rank 3 pests.

Yes, there's the Summon Pixie spell she could train, but that's insanely expensive for a little level 20 wizard still questing in Krokotopia. $175,000 gold?! Most gear drops sell for $200-$400 at that level, and the chests only give 15-20 gold. Also, the Pixie takes 25 energy per single use, which again places her firmly out of the practical reach of a wizard this level.

Her gardening level assures her she can plant these, but her questing level is nowhere near appropriate. It would be better to make her wait until she reaches Mooshu before letting her plant these!

As a rank 10 gardener, she is also capable of planting rank 5 plants like Queen Crape Myrtle that develop rank 7 pests ... that can only be eliminated when she reaches Khrysalis! Again, why is she able to plant something that she's not able to care for until she's quested 80 levels higher in the game!?

When it was implemented, gardening was skewed for advanced wizards who had already quested to the areas they needed to train for the spells, and they had plenty of gold coming in. New wizards struggle due to lack of gold, lack of access, and lack of information on what pests a plant will develop. It would be nice to know ahead of time that a plant will develop needs that may be too extreme for the gardener wizard's current questing level to handle.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Jun 10, 2012
Would be nice if you got a perm mount at like level 15 which only has an increased 20% speed compared to 40%. I also think there should be better starting pets, or school specific pets at a low level that actually has some useful talents.

Each school pet can have a variety of these talents in their pool:
3% school specific damage
3% universal damage (pain bringer)
Pips o plenty
health giver
2-4 selfish talents (one of which gives increased power stat)
10% school specific resist (so the life pet would have the 10% life resist talent)
School specific accuracy talent (3% or 6%)
Universal accuracy talent (3%)
Maycast sprite

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
cole spellslinger on May 26, 2017 wrote:
There has been a post recently about somebody wanting more actual wands instead of swords and banners and stuff and I agree. This isn't in the beginning but throughout the whole game.
I mean I'm alright with the swords, but yeah I don't think I've ever seen someone with a banner around. Not my cup of tea.

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
Freshta on May 28, 2017 wrote:
Honestly, gardening is very badly designed.

I recently started a level 20 wizard who was still in Krokotopia with 10 dropped Pink Dandelions. She went from level 0 gardener to level 7 after the first elder harvest. By the second elder harvest, she was a rank 10 gardener.

Here's the problem: she's in Krok and can plant frozen or deadly fly traps, but she can't access the higher ranked gardening spells she needs to actually grow these plants she reaches Mooshu. They get rank 5 pests. The most she can train for in Krok is rank 3 pests.

Yes, there's the Summon Pixie spell she could train, but that's insanely expensive for a little level 20 wizard still questing in Krokotopia. $175,000 gold?! Most gear drops sell for $200-$400 at that level, and the chests only give 15-20 gold. Also, the Pixie takes 25 energy per single use, which again places her firmly out of the practical reach of a wizard this level.

Her gardening level assures her she can plant these, but her questing level is nowhere near appropriate. It would be better to make her wait until she reaches Mooshu before letting her plant these!

As a rank 10 gardener, she is also capable of planting rank 5 plants like Queen Crape Myrtle that develop rank 7 pests ... that can only be eliminated when she reaches Khrysalis! Again, why is she able to plant something that she's not able to care for until she's quested 80 levels higher in the game!?

When it was implemented, gardening was skewed for advanced wizards who had already quested to the areas they needed to train for the spells, and they had plenty of gold coming in. New wizards struggle due to lack of gold, lack of access, and lack of information on what pests a plant will develop. It would be nice to know ahead of time that a plant will develop needs that may be too extreme for the gardener wizard's current questing level to handle.

Alia Misthaven
I wish both crafting and gardening where not quest locked. So you could port into the world necessary and provided you have the requisite gold, buy whatever spells you need. That way for gardening, even your low level wizards could start cultivating gardens with all the useful spells and our wizards could craft spells early enough that they are still useful for questing.

Moira Stormheart

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Moira Stormheart on Jun 1, 2017 wrote:
I wish both crafting and gardening where not quest locked. So you could port into the world necessary and provided you have the requisite gold, buy whatever spells you need. That way for gardening, even your low level wizards could start cultivating gardens with all the useful spells and our wizards could craft spells early enough that they are still useful for questing.

Moira Stormheart
for MOST plant spells, you can port to the upper worlds; it's only when you need to hit avalon or above (as I recall) that you cant because they're questlocked

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Perhaps tell me what all the symbols mean. Recently instead of the card saying "500 attack to all enemies" it now says stuff like "500 " or instead of just saying dispel it says "" and I have no idea what that means.

Perhaps a page in the spellbook or maybe that already exists and it can be updated?
"