Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 3-31-17

AuthorMessage
Administrator
It's Friday, and it's time for Feedback! So, let's get on with it, shall we?

Today, let's talk about Monstrology. We're happy you're having fun, and we've been keeping an eye on your comments, but I want to OFFICIALLY ask here... what is your favorite thing about Monstrology? What one change would you make if you could wave your magic wand and do so?

Happy Friday, and have a fabulous weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Jan 29, 2014
I like being able to fill up the tome and read all the descriptions. Making house guests is also fun. If I could, I would add more extract spells for different creatures, such as bugs, spiders, goblins, elementals, and so on. Also I would add more drops to Monstrodome fights.

Defender
Nov 11, 2008
My favorite thing about Monstrology is creating house guests.

If I could change one thing about Monstrology, it would be to remove the "Extract Undead," "Extract Wyrm," "Extract Parrot," etc. and just have a single "Extract Animus" spell that can work on any type of creature. This would make it simpler to add new creatures to Monstrology in future updates and would prevent the Myth spell section from getting cluttered.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Professor Falmea on Mar 31, 2017 wrote:

Today, let's talk about Monstrology. We're happy you're having fun, and we've been keeping an eye on your comments, but I want to OFFICIALLY ask here... what is your favorite thing about Monstrology? What one change would you make if you could wave your magic wand and do so?

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
If I could wave my magic wand to change Monstrology, I would offer more than just Undead, Parrot, and Polar Bear!!

You have so many others: Bee, Spider, Owl, Viper, Draconian, Elephant, Moth, Djinn, Quat, Lion, Zebra, Deer......

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015

Actually have the creatures that you summon in the Monstrodome drop the EXACT same drops as the real creatures do. That way, we can save time and farm monsters much more easily in our houses than in dungeons.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I think this will be a fun and exciting new system to implement! That being said I had some questions, observations and suggestions. I don't think that all the spells should be 2 pip myth spells. (Rather should be their rank and school instead of always Myth and 2) I don't think that's necessarily fair and or balanced.

Perhaps in the future a Banish all? (Combine 3 Banish Cards?)
Why do these not require a crafting table?
I think that only one person should need to soul trap them in order for that to take affect. ie share animus not hog it all to yourself.
Also the Collected Animus this round feature is very confusing, it should say "this round" at the end to avoid confusion.

Instead of saying "failed to collect Animus" saying "Wrong animus type or You are not high skilled enough" would make more sense.

PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANTLY:

I also think that the "exterminate spell" could use some work. Mainly in the fact that, I do not think the big cartoony X is a good idea. I instead would just remove that and have more stars/smoke as if the enemy poofed away.

The Monstrodome looks very cool. (I still haven't figured out how to add monsters to it though...)

Delver
May 12, 2012
My favorite thing about monstrology is that it gives me something else to do, which I think was the point of you adding it ;) Other than that, I love making house guests.

I agree 100% with The Privateer. My spellbook isn't cluttered yet but it will be soon.

~ Allison Dragongem

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
The Privateer on Mar 31, 2017 wrote:
My favorite thing about Monstrology is creating house guests.

If I could change one thing about Monstrology, it would be to remove the "Extract Undead," "Extract Wyrm," "Extract Parrot," etc. and just have a single "Extract Animus" spell that can work on any type of creature. This would make it simpler to add new creatures to Monstrology in future updates and would prevent the Myth spell section from getting cluttered.
I agree entirely! I think that that doing that would work best. Perhaps instead of each type there can be spells that are like Collect Animus, Collect Double Animus, Share Animus etc. I'd even accept Extract (School) Animus as opposed to the character types.

Defender
Sep 20, 2008
Add more animus types. The current ones are very limited. Elemental, Draconian, Plant/Treant, and Human/Wizard would be a good start and add a lot of variety for decorations and combat.

Defender
Apr 14, 2014
I agree with the whole idea of letting the monsters drop the same drops, but I have one more thing to add.

I want it to be possible to put multiple monsterdomes in a house.

I could have one for each monster and label them with statues or house guests. There wouldn't be the hassle of getting multiple castles for each monsterdome and wasting crowns on additional castle elixers.

If you can already put multiple monsterdomes in a castle, then I will be glad. Otherwise, this would be a great way to improve monstrology.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
The descriptions of the monsters in the Tome. It adds much to the lore of the Spiral.

I would make it so that the extract animus spells are trained by buying them with gold instead of training points, because using training points gives Myth an unfair advantage in that mechanic. Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy whose main is a Myth, and doesn't like to compete, so it's not about keeping my spot on the PVP food chain.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
The idea of adding dragons to my house is amazing.. id add all dragons and rename is dragon extract because let's be honest here wyrms are serpent like all those "wyrms" look dragon like. Also I'd add ALL undead it's a bit confusing when I beat around a ghost and I didn't collect if a lost soul is an undead so is a ghost mouse knight if a krokomummy is a undead so is the drowned zombie Dino in pitch black lake. However I'm not a fan of the enemy minions being treasure cards I'm not about to beat up Malistare the undying a couple hundred times to stock up. But I'd like to see unique drops from them in the monsterdome it's disappointing if someone farms animus from a difficult boss for loose change and a pet snack...

Squire
Jun 13, 2011

What I like about Monstrology? The lore and exposition beneath mobs and bosses! This provides plenty of info to ensure they're a lot more than just unique and reskinned mobs and bosses!

Oh, I'd have Gilda Burke in about every world in the Spiral and place in a couple more new Extract Animus spells for specific types of creatures, like Extract Krok Animus, Extract Celestian Animus, Extract Golem Animus(numerous, including mechanical golems), Extract Plant Animus, Extract Spider Animus, Extract Shadow-Web Animus, Extract Cab Animus, Extract Manits Animus, Extract Scorpion Animus, Extract Angler Animus, Extract Elephant Animus, Extract Draconian Animus, Extract Snake Animus, Extract Human Animus, Extract Giant Animus, Extract Minotaur Animus, Extract Zebra Animus, Extract Bird Animus, Extract Lagooney Animus, Extract Horse Animus, Extract Samoorai Animus, & Extract Elemental Animus.

My wish, there should be a couple more Extract Animus spells placed in before it goes Live, so we'll have plenty to collect from many creatures.

There's also the suggestion that if a certain boss cheats in duels, please add in an icon that identifies that said boss a "Cheating Boss".

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
I actually started a thread in the test realm discussions about what in Monstrology needs to change.

Things I love about Monstrology: the ability to create housing guests (as a decorator this is so much fun and has endless possibilities), the descriptions (like the fishing descriptions they are great for a laugh), and the ability to create a custom battle in your home.

Two things that really would improve Monstrology:

1. Increase the drop rate in the Monstrodome. If you think about it, the player has already farmed a long time to get these creatures into the dome. I like the idea of unique housing items dropping there but they definitely need to drop more frequently and maybe be a little more exciting than food. I also think it would be good to have a clear distinction between the drops of a higher rank enemy and a lower one. For instance any enemy from Wizard City-Krok will drop the food items, Marleybone-Mooshu would drop some other small unique housing item, and so forth until maybe Khrysalis can drop those spider drops which are so rare etc. The reward really needs to match the time it requires. Some people do things just for completeness which is great for them, but for the amount of time and effort Monstrology takes, Monstrodome rewards should be a little better and more frequent.
2. Make the Monstrodome open to all not just friends. Again, farming for all those animi takes time and enemies aren't easily switched. I, for one, would love to show off the unique set of enemies to all that visit my house, not just my friends. If someone took the time to collect enough animus to make four Malistaire the Undying, I would love to see that even though I might not have the time to do it myself. Monstrology is already a solitary activity given that it's more efficient to gather animus on your own than in a group. Making the Monstrodome open to all on tours gives a greater opportunity for socializing through this element of the game.

Moira Stormheart

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I don't understand Monstrology so far.

It is a little too complicated for me. I don't want extra steps. I just want to hit.

I don't understand how taking an animus is any different than just defeating the enemy monster.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
the only thing I would change will be instead of undead minions it will be legend minions of the myth school not the death school minions

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
What I love about Monstrology is being able to create unique houseguests that are a hybrid between the stationary houseguests we currently have, and our wandering pets & mounts.

That said, I want to be able to collect trees and trolls, fairies and seraphs to populate my enchanted forest-themed house. Please add them to the types of creatures we can collect from!

Also, the "undead" animus thing is not clear at all. Case in point, some bosses in Dragonspyre are 'undead' and collectible, while others aren't ... and yet it's an entirely "undead" world! Seriously. They're all ghosts, aren't they? So why can't I collect from ALL of the bosses and mobs of Dragonspyre...?

Furthermore, once there are different types of animus to gather, it's just bloody confusing knowing which spell to have for which monster.

Therefore, my one suggestion for improving Monstrology is to have just ONE animus spell. Key the animus collection to creature level rather than creature type. One animus spell will collect any creature up to a certain level (level 4). Add another trainer in Mooshu or Dragonspyre that will provide a stronger animus spell so we can collect all creatures up to level 8. Then have a trainer in Celestia or Zafaria that will boost our animus collection power to level 12. Rather than training different "types" of spells, just have us train to different levels where we replace a lower single-type animus spell for one that's more potent and works on higher level creatures.

In other words, treat it like the Giant-to-Gargantuan enchantments (same effect, just stronger) instead of us having to pack a bunch of different spells to gather different creatures and then play guessing games as to which spell will work on which creature.

Alia Misthaven

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We've made an update to Test this week that addresses some concerns, and next week there will be more updates.

A few comments:
  • Keep in mind, the mobs in your Monstrodome are not fighting at full strength (they're missing some of their special abilities). Since there's less risk, there will be less rewards.
  • We're already brainstorming what new types of animus can be next. We're definitely planning on adding more in the future if everyone is having fun with Monstrology.
  • While we didn't want a single "extract" spell for various reasons, we will be altering the graphics on the extract spells so it's less confusing.
  • If there are undead that you think we've missed - submit a bug report on External Test and we'll look into it. Some have been excluded if they were inside an area that you could only get to once though (because you couldn't collect enough animus to do anything with).
  • Apparently we left off the last two pages of the help tome which described how to load up the Monstrodome. We'll fix that next update.
  • Also, the Extract Animus spells are trained with gold, not training points - so that should make Average Moe happy! ::grin::

We'll continue to discuss the rest of these comments.

And never fear, a new Feedback Friday shall be summoned shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea