Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback 3-11-11

1
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Another week is in the books, and that means it's time for a new discussion topic! Welcome to this week's Feedback Friday.

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

Last week we discussed what your most useful spells were <a href="https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/32099.ftl">here</a>. This week, let's discuss the other side of the proverbial coin - what spells have you earned, tried once, and now stay stored in your spellbook, and why?

As always, when we ask for negative feedback, I'd like to remind you to be respectful and offer constructive criticism. That is, instead of saying "The Awesome Spell of Awesomeness stinks! I hate it! Whoever thought this up should be required to attend to Cyrus's dry cleaning for the rest of time.", we'd rather you say, "The Awesome Spell of Awesomeness stinks! It doesn't give me nearly as big of a cool boost as the Amazing Spell of Amazingness, and it costs more pips." Both let us know you are unhappy, but only one lets us understand why.

Thanks as always for your participation! Have a fantastic weekend! ::grin::

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea (aka Leah Ruben, your fearless Producer!)
Community Leader
Hello Professor, These are the spells I never carry in my decks.
Each school.

Ice -distract & taunt
Fire-Tranquilize
Storm-Soothe
Myth-Subdue
Death-Pacify
Life-Calm

Defender
May 25, 2009
121
Well, I never use Guiding Light. Its a waste of space. I already get a 80% boost from crafted gear, so that's enough for me. Maybe if it gave a little higher percent, maybe 35% or 40%, I might consider using it. I mean 115-120%? That's epicness right there. And you might be surprised, but I keep llow level spells in my deck (gasp!). They're good for taking out shields, though someone else might disagree about this. Otherwise, I have one of every other spell in my school.
Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist

Explorer
Dec 09, 2008
81
I can tell you that the Doom and Gloom spell is useless outside of pvp in my opinion. I have only ever used it once and that is when I first got it and I quickly pulled it from my deck. Smoke Screen is useless not in the fact that it isn't a good spell but that the fact it doesn't work. Ever time I use it no one hardly ever fizzles. I don't ever use the power play spell for balance either cause of the fact that it effects the enemies pips as well. That is all I can think of for now.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2010
47
I don't think theres ever been a spell that didnt prove useful at some point during gameplay. I've used all of them at least twice but none come to mind that I didnt like.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Well, I have several.

Ice:

I really want to like ice armor, but it rarely if ever makes any sense. It cannot be cast on others, it can easily be brushed aside by pierce or earthquake, and gear doesn't apply to it. Realistically, you are better off to cast a fairy, sprite, or other healing spell because your gear resistance will make the already better healing per pip that much better of an investment.

Balance:

Without a doubt, power play is the worst spell in the balance arsenal. At a staggering cost of 4 pips, the highest cost for a global spell in the game, you get the pleasure of boosting your enemies in a way you have no defense for. With other global spells, your gear typically resists the kind of damage that the global amplifies making it a worthwhile cast even in the event that your enemy should cast an attack in that category. Power Play, on the other hand, boosts everyone's pip chance by 35%. Why would you want to spend 4 pips to increase your enemy's chance of killing you faster when you have nothing to mitigate it other than the hope that you will somehow gain power pips even faster than they do? As an added bonus, it gets less useful as you rise in level.

Myth:

It seems to me that the troll minion is redundant. Since you can only have one minion at a time, I never ever use troll minion after I get cyclops minion, because they serve the same function. This, of course, could be fixed by allowing one of each type of minion to be cast at the same time.

While in my opinion, there are plenty of other spells across all magic classes that have very limited use (for instance, only useful in certain PvE scenarios, or only useful in PvP), these are the only ones I can think of at the moment that I see as useful in such a limited way that they approach completely useless.

Explorer
Nov 14, 2010
62
Well I studied Life as my second school because I need to heal.But I have a huge Huge HUGE question about Ra and I think it should be improved,For the other schools legendary chain moves it is Much more powerfull than Ra :(and Ra doesnt do much damage or have a after afect or a DoT :(.This is sorta offending for some Balance wizards.Although Balance is not your experties Professor,I think the spell need to be, in a sence,changed to be equal with the other Legendary spells plz :?.Like i think if the 7 pip nova spell gives a -25% why not give Ra a -30% to enemys or a Dot spell ,because he is supposed to be a god in the game so why isnt he apowerfull enough he created most of the Balance spells we Balance wizards use today.Plz Proffessor Make a change to the spell because it is not fair plz plz plz read this and consider it because the Ra problem is unfair. thank you and have a wizard friendly day
Quinn Mistwhisper lvl 60 Balance wizard

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
296
The Taunt and Pacify and Subdue spells. Have not seen much use for them. Donate Power is only useful when it's a Minion casting it on you. I have to disagree with the folks who named Guiding Light and Spirit Armor. To someone outside of Life, those spells are extremely helpful. And as far as Ra is concerned, dress him up just right and you can get a 3000 point hit off him--not too shabby, I say. Power Play also doesn't do much for a wizard that gets critical hits and 80-100% power pip. Higher level players get those power pips anyway. It only comes in handy for the lower level players who haven't gotten equipped yet.

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
164
That's a wonderful question.

My least favorite never use spells are

Doom and gloom because it feels like a grenade superglued to hand and you gotta stand the brunt of its effects right with the critters ya gotta kill

stun because once every four rounds (without special intervention) makes old final spells of frost giant and storm giant look weak even compared to nova

Animate for using doom and gloom

Looking forward to next friday :)

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
332
Professor Falmea wrote:
This week, let's discuss the other side of the proverbial coin - what spells have you earned, tried once, and now stay stored in your spellbook, and why?

::


The following spells i do not use. Never put them in my deck for any reason.

All the spells that reduces threat on target such as tranquilize, subdue, etc. frankly, they do not work and is a waste of a round so I do not use them. Moreover, if you are in a solo duel, it's basically useless.

Death

DOOM & GLOOM- I never use this spell because it cost three pips and reduces my health! It does not boost death attacks therefore it is a double edged sword that reduces health all around and I am not prepared to make that gamble, not evne in PVP. if it boost death attacks and only minus enemy health then i will use it.

Beguile- i'm not sure how it is suppose to work in PVE but whenever i use it on a mob they just pass or use a trap. So I just wasted 3 pips for nothing therefore i don't use it.

Balance

Powerplay- it cost too much pips and also helps the enemy. if I am using a bubble them it should only benefit me and my friends, not my opponents as well. maybe you need to change it to 1 pip because it helps everyone, that would be a fair trade off to me.

Donate- it cost 3 pips and gives two normal pips to a friend. In this day and age in wizard 101 popwer pips are the wya to go. and i would never sacrifice three of my pips just so that my friend can gain two NORMAL pips!

Storm

Disarm- it cost one pip which usually is a power pip these days, therefore, i'd be better served using wild bolt! If it was 0 pip then i'd use it even though it's better to just shield anyways.

Sap Power- i have never felt the need to sacrifice my storm minion and i don't use it in pvp so i have no use for this spell.

Soothe and mega soothe- are ineffective in PVP and solo PVE, I never use them either way.

Lightening strike- This just cause me to waste one round. i prefer to use enchantments sorry. I think if it was changed into a enchantment then that would be better.

Fire

Steal Charm- it cost a pip (usually a power pip) and is only useful when used on balance and fire opponents. I really do see the need for it especially since it is costing me a pip to cast.

Ice

Ice Armor- why don't we just have a 4 pip shield that absorbs 1000 damage? if i use ice armor too early it is of no use and if i use it too late then it eats all my pips. I cannot afford that so it stays out of my deck.

Taunt- um who uses taunt? I really have no use for this spell. i never use it never even put it in my deck once.

Distract- never been in my deck. What this do again? lol

Draw health- my minion is more useful to me alive than sacrificed so i never use this card. never been in my deck either. Plus it cost 1 pip (as if!)


Survivor
Nov 12, 2010
34
Life - Spirit armor comes to mind. It doesn't scale so after marleybone the cost in pips is not worth the protection offered.

Death - Beguile. Although in theory this would be an awesome spell it is unclear as to the effects. If for example it allowed the next attack or heal to be reversed then fine, but as it is now more times then not your opponent just passes.

Balance - Power Play. Not useful as it is global.
Balance - Black Mantel. Only works rarely, although i did try to like this spell it could use a boost of 10% or so.

I don't have any other schools for my wizards so i'll leave it at those.

Squire
Aug 10, 2009
559
I have to agree with people who have said Power play is useless. Maybe if it didnt help your enemy.

Also Wild bolt. As soon as you folks changed it, I tried it a few times and took it right out. I hate the fact it costs so much to hit for just 10 or 100 points. Worthless to me.

ellie

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
575
There are a couple of spells of my school I no longer use after trying them only once:

Myths Pierce spell: This spell is not bad, but it is very very situational. It is only a spell that aids me when I'm playing in groups, such as when I am in Briskbreeze tower or PvP. I have never used it for myself because I have so many other ways to bust through shields: minions, wands, minotaur/orthrus. It isn't worth keeping in my deck, especially at the cost of a pip. Yes, I'm cheap with my pips.

Draw 2 pips from minion: I never sacrifice my minion. It would take more than 2 pips to make me do so. I saw in Marleybone storm has a version called sap power that allows them to sacrifice a minion for 4 pips. That would convince me to use it. I think I might train that. At later levels as the strength of enemies increase, myth must rely on bigger pip spells to hit, and all of their good attacks are at the least 5 pips. Maybe then I would use this.

Subdue: This spell does nothing for me. I know what it is intended to do. But not how I play at all. Completely useless

Minotaur minion: A big sponge designed to attract enemy attention away from me. Meh. I wouldn't bother with that. My other minions get the enemies attention just fine when they do enough damage. But if this minion behaved like lifes sprite minion, then I would keep it in my deck.

Mend minion: My minions can sprite themselves, and I carry a lot of minions, if one gets taken out I just summon a fresh one. They don't have enough health for me to be convinced enough to heal them, except the cyclops minion.

Minions tend to be more difficult to take advantage of as the game progresses, that is not to say they are outliving their usefulness...

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
678
Ice: distract, freeze, draw health, taunt

Death: Doom & Gloom (only good for 1v1 in PvP - If workin in a team, it prevents them from getting full health, which only hurts your team), pacify, steal health, minion (simply because of doom & gloom)

Life: Draw Health, Calm

Myth: Subdue, stun (very seldom works on bosses), siphon health, mend minion

Balance: Sap health, donate power (seems silly to sacrifice 3 pips just to give someone 2. Seems that it would be the other way around.), Powerplay

Storm: Wildbolt (only since the change), soothe

These are my useless spells.


Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
67
As above, any of the spells that affect threat level, except when cast by minions (water elemental and minotaur)

Death: Empower - damage not worth it to increase pips

Balance: Power play - costs a lot to cast and helps both sides

Life: Sanctuary - helps both sides. With my life wizard I'd actually prefer something like doom and gloom because it's easy for me to heal -- I'd like to make it harder for the enemy.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
575
gtarhannon wrote:
Well, I have several.

Myth:

It seems to me that the troll minion is redundant. Since you can only have one minion at a time, I never ever use troll minion after I get cyclops minion, because they serve the same function.



The same function? That isn't accurate. The cyclops plays a more supportive role with spells like donate pips, spirit shield and a spirit blade.
The troll is far more aggressive, like our wood puppet but with greater health and casts troll and cyclops spells. It even attacks more than the cyclops minion does and is less likely to pass two turns in a row.

Play 4 matches with only the cyclops minion then repeat with the troll and consider whether you are going to stick with the belief that they serve the same function. You might end up liking the troll more. But of course that depends on your deck set up.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1469
Tristan Lionheart: "Weakness is a waste of space. Not only is it completely useless as a Sorcerer, but it's so annoying that the only monsters that use (more like abuse) Weakness are non-Balance!"

Kieran Swiftspear: "I can sefely say I've never used Sprite. Why would I use that when Fairy is stronger and heals in one turn?"

Valerian Stormcrafter: "Well, besides the ridiculously useless spell that shall not be named...Disarm needs to go. Not only is it the most useless spell ever, but it costs 1 pip! I have better things to use my pips for than that wannabe debuff."

Sloan Nightbringer: "Hmm...can't really think of one at the moment."

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
1706
So far I'd agree with all the above....there are way too many PvP and Taunt/Calm spells few use in PvE (which is the core of the game). I think it would be nice to give a choice of spells for the above, which would allow us to make each character more unique and increase playability. So, instead of say, Power Play, it would be nice to have the old treasure card that limits number of pips in a spell (I believe it was 4?). Heck, if you have choice in your own school, you could even spend a training point to learn the second, etc...

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
CorbinW wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:
Well, I have several.

Myth:

It seems to me that the troll minion is redundant. Since you can only have one minion at a time, I never ever use troll minion after I get cyclops minion, because they serve the same function.



The same function? That isn't accurate. The cyclops plays a more supportive role with spells like donate pips, spirit shield and a spirit blade.
The troll is far more aggressive, like our wood puppet but with greater health and casts troll and cyclops spells. It even attacks more than the cyclops minion does and is less likely to pass two turns in a row.

Play 4 matches with only the cyclops minion then repeat with the troll and consider whether you are going to stick with the belief that they serve the same function. You might end up liking the troll more. But of course that depends on your deck set up.


Hey Corbin. Respectfully, I disagree. Lower pip cyclops (1 and 2 pips I believe) is more supportive, but a 4 pip cyclops (the one I almost always cast) is aggressive with VERY occasional support (as in I can count the number of times he's done it on one hand and I've played literally hundreds of rounds with him by my side) such as donate pips. I have not once seen my cyclops minion cast a spirit blade, and he generally only passes if he's going to cast a bigger attack spell, which I'm fine with because I can take that opportunity to boost him. If I have access to the same range of personalities (and more health) in the cyclops, why would I use the troll? I've played lots of rounds with both as my myth progressed, which is why I no longer have the troll minion in my deck. I haven't used him in quite a while, so its possible that KI changed the behaviors again, but last time I tested, the two spells were largely redundant with the cyclops being able to hit harder and last longer at 4 pips.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
25
I think that the spells like Subdue and Tranquilize should be changed to a different sort of effect because they are only useful in team pve duels. In team pve, Ice already has taunts, and we have minion that can taunt, which leaves Subdue etc. useless. Maybe they could be an interuption spell, like those used by some bosses. Of course, if you did choose to make it that way, they ought to be for higher levels. Thanks for your ongoing efforts to make Wizard101 a great game!

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
343
Calm seems pointless. I mean I cast it at the enemy, it is soppoused to reduce threat, right? But no, it doesn't!!! Next round the enemy casts a lvl 58 spell or something!!! That's why calm is stored up in my deck.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1842

This week, let's discuss the other side of the proverbial coin - what spells have you earned, tried once, and now stay stored in your spellbook, and why?

For all schools:

Pacify. What does this do, make the enemy pass and just gain more pips? Why does it cost so much in terms of pips? I used it once, saw that it basically did nothing, and have never used it again after eight wizards. The only way I could see this one being of use is if it wiped out the enemy's pips entirely, or it if prevented them from getting power pips for a couple of turns. Now that would be an interesting spell....

Killing my Minion (whether for power pips or for health). Instead of spending 3-4 pips to pull out a minion, then another 2 to kill it ... I'll just skip the minion and either heal with a Pixie or pass for a turn. These cards just don't make sense-- they waste pips when a little patience will get me the same result for less.

For some schools:

Minions at level 28. Too weak, using two-pip spells, health too low, and not earned until level 28. By the time I got the Fire, Ice, second Balance minion, I was too far advanced for such a weak, worthless minion to really be of help. Why spend 3 pips on a minion that will spam a two pip spell, and die the moment the boss looks its way? Health is only 300-350?! Damage spells that aren't much stronger than a wand blast? If that is the minion you're going to give us, PLEASE give it to us at level 10-20 or so, when it will actually be of USE. By level 30, it is worthless and far too late to get such a weak minion.
The only level 28 minion that is worth the wait, in my opinion, is the Death minion.

Balance:

Power Play. I never use it. It helps the enemy, and it costs 4 pips. For that, I could just wipe out the enemy with a Spectral Blast. This spell is terrible for what it costs.

Donate Pips: Worthless to give up three of my pips just to give someone two regular pips, when after level 30 he or she will probably get a power pip just by passing. If I could donate all of my pips, as they are, power pips included ... that could be interesting.....

Death:

Gloom & Doom: Despite what PvPers say, I never, EVER use this spell. It hurts me, it hurts my team-mates, because it reduces our ability to heal. I hate it, and I hate that so many of Death's minions carry this spell. If it only worked on the enemy, that would be cool.

Beguile: I wish it worked for at least three turns instead of one. For three pips, one turn is no better than using a 0-1 pip stun spell. As others have said, the enemy usually ends up passing. So I don't bother with Beguile.

Take 500 Damage for three power pips. Um, totally NOT worth it. I can just pass a turn or two. This is one of the worst spells ever. I've never used it at all. Taking some damage to dole out damage (such as Fire's Immolate) or for my Sacrifice healing spell, that I'm willing to do. Taking a hit when I could just wait ... not worth it.

Myth:

Minotaur minion: If he would at least do as the Storm minion does and use the Elemental and/or Spirit shields, that would be worth it. Again, by the time this minion is earned, the enemies are hitting so hard that he is killed with one blow. His health is too low and his shielding too inadequate to be of use as a tank.

Pierce shield: Costs too much in terms of pips. It's better to just use a "free" wand blast. Maybe, for another pip or so, you could make this spell apply to all enemies. That would be cool....

Life:

Accuracy boost of 10% to all. I like the idea, but I never use it. This seems like it ought to be a balance spell, at any rate.

Ice:

Ice Armour: I have used it a couple of times, but usually it's too costly in terms of pips. I have wished more than once that I could cast it on someone else besides myself---especially the Ice Guardian minion.

Steal Shield: For two pips, it's too costly. I never use this spell.

Storm:

Wild Bolt. Wastes pips and buffs, does far too little damage most of the time. Since the "improvement" I haven't used it once. You may as well retire this spell because it's worthless now.

Fire:

Link: For two pips and such little health, it's not worth the cost. Either this or Fire Elf ... but getting both at such early stages made my Fire wizard really struggle in the beginning. I wish it would be made a three-pip spell and give back 300 health plus 300 damage over time. That would be so much more useful.

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
58
Professor Falmea wrote:
Another week is in the books, and that means it's time for a new discussion topic! Welcome to this week's Feedback Friday.

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

Last week we discussed what your most useful spells were <a href="https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/32099.ftl">here</a>. This week, let's discuss the other side of the proverbial coin - what spells have you earned, tried once, and now stay stored in your spellbook, and why?

As always, when we ask for negative feedback, I'd like to remind you to be respectful and offer constructive criticism. That is, instead of saying "The Awesome Spell of Awesomeness stinks! I hate it! Whoever thought this up should be required to attend to Cyrus's dry cleaning for the rest of time.", we'd rather you say, "The Awesome Spell of Awesomeness stinks! It doesn't give me nearly as big of a cool boost as the Amazing Spell of Amazingness, and it costs more pips." Both let us know you are unhappy, but only one lets us understand why.

Thanks as always for your participation! Have a fantastic weekend! ::grin::


On charm occasions+wards

I think you had new spell idea for each school earlier, so here are my ideas:
Myth:Cyclops Cerum, gives one myth blade to all friends+1 star critical aura.
Storm:-Poseidons Trident, gives 1 stormblade to all friends+1 star critical aura.
Balance:Shifting Sands, gives1 balanceblade to all friends and 1 critical aura.
Life:Raven King,gives 1 lifeblade to all friends and 1000 health.
Death:Anubis Renewal, 100 death damage to user and 1000 health to all friends+Deathblade to user only.
Fire:Burning Destiny,-%100 accuracy to all enemies for 5 rounds, Fireblade to all friends.
Ice:Frozen Forge, gives 1 Iceblade to user and 1 balanceblade to all friends+Critical aura to user.

Pips:5
Mana:5
Level to earn:45
Training points:1
Star auras last:4 rounds
Friends get additional blades, some schools allow Auras to be given to Friends as well.
Astral schools: Star Saint, gives 1 critical aura to all friends.
Sun Saint: Gungartuan and Unstoppable cards to all friends.
Moon Maniac/Maniac:-Polymorph into Myth Imp/or if KI doesnt like Imp idea, Minotaur, All MYTH spells, Axe Aura:-(natural attack) 300-then 600 myth damage, 4 pips, Bonus Natural Attack: Warhorns; 555 myth damage and mythtrap, Can cast Meteor strike and Tempest,And Ability to Steal wards. Steal charms.
Astral School pips:0
Level to gain:56
Training Points:1
Learned in Survey Camp, Add New Trainer called: Arther Astralore, Located Behind The Statue At The First Area Near The Fire Crabs Below, Looks like a celestian remnant.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
12
Nice topic!But mainly using my life wizard,there are a few i've NEVER used unless i was experimenting with what it does...

LIFE:

Kill Minion:(forgot the name of the spell sorry )This is pretty pointless since our minion will just heal us anyway

Subdue:(i think thats the name)I would much rather put some boosting up for my centaur then reduce threat seeing that the monster would attack my minion which would stop the healing spells i get while i attack :?

Sprite:It just isn't very useful in my opinion.

(Yes i occasionally use spirit shield in pvp and things like that)

BALANCE:

Spirit Shields and Spirit Traps:Never seems to be very useful unless with another wizard that has spiritual magic seeing as Balance mainly focuses on Elemental Magic

ummm thats it since i've never gotten another school higher than ten

Ethan DarkHeart Level 36 almost 37 Magus Life Wizard
Chase TrollRider Level 25 Adept Sorcerer

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
575
gtarhannon wrote:
CorbinW wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:
Well, I have several.

Myth:

It seems to me that the troll minion is redundant. Since you can only have one minion at a time, I never ever use troll minion after I get cyclops minion, because they serve the same function.



The same function? That isn't accurate. The cyclops plays a more supportive role with spells like donate pips, spirit shield and a spirit blade.
The troll is far more aggressive, like our wood puppet but with greater health and casts troll and cyclops spells. It even attacks more than the cyclops minion does and is less likely to pass two turns in a row.

Play 4 matches with only the cyclops minion then repeat with the troll and consider whether you are going to stick with the belief that they serve the same function. You might end up liking the troll more. But of course that depends on your deck set up.


Hey Corbin. Respectfully, I disagree. I have not once seen my cyclops minion cast a spirit blade, and he generally only passes if he's going to cast a bigger attack spell, which I'm fine with because I can take that opportunity to boost him.


I'm sorry, that must have been very confusing for you! I did not mean to say spirit blade. I don't know how that got into my post. I never meant to include that spell, excuse me.

1