Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Family Approved vs Moderated

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 06, 2009
115
I haven't been posting on these boards for long and I have to say they are driving me completely nuts. While I understand the idea of having a fully moderated board, I find the application to be so frustrating as to make the boards almost pointless.

To me the way these boards work is about the equivalent of typing up an email for someone and then printing it out and mailing it to them.

My suggestion is instead of having fully moderated boards that require 12-24 hours delay before posts become viewable is to have Family Approved/Unrated posts. What I mean is that anyone with a properly approved adult account (similar to chat settings in game) can see and answer any post that is made (and if necessary hit a report flag to bring it to attention of moderators)...but people not logged in to an account with non-parental/adult access won't see the post(s) until such time as a moderator flags it as family approved.

This way the posts are viewable to people mature enough to see them, while the whole family friendly thing is still enforced.

Thanks for giving this some consideration.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2219
Goldenoak1 on Jan 4, 2017 wrote:
I haven't been posting on these boards for long and I have to say they are driving me completely nuts. While I understand the idea of having a fully moderated board, I find the application to be so frustrating as to make the boards almost pointless.

To me the way these boards work is about the equivalent of typing up an email for someone and then printing it out and mailing it to them.

My suggestion is instead of having fully moderated boards that require 12-24 hours delay before posts become viewable is to have Family Approved/Unrated posts. What I mean is that anyone with a properly approved adult account (similar to chat settings in game) can see and answer any post that is made (and if necessary hit a report flag to bring it to attention of moderators)...but people not logged in to an account with non-parental/adult access won't see the post(s) until such time as a moderator flags it as family approved.

This way the posts are viewable to people mature enough to see them, while the whole family friendly thing is still enforced.

Thanks for giving this some consideration.
The 12-24 hour rule has always been in effect for this site. ALL posts go through moderation before being posted publicly.

This site is not restricted to adults and never should be.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/codeofconduct

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
115
I did not at any point suggest that the site should be restricted to adults.

I suggested that the moderation of posts would be changed so that instead it is a flag that allows posts to become public vs adult approved only. This means that the 12-24 hour delay would still exist for non-adults but anyone mature enough to handle content that wasn't pre-approved would get it early.

Thank you for your comment and of course pointing me to the code of conduct.

Thank you also for taking the time to read and understand my suggestions in the future instead of automatically responding without giving it time to sink in.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
This would just lead to more work for moderators because it would create all the replies to posts that would have been moderated out. If you want forums without delay, there is always wizard101central.com

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
253
It's an interesting idea, but it would probably be tough to implement. It also is based on the assumption that all people over the age of 18 are mature. I don't think that's always necessarily the case. Age is merely a number and doesn't accurately depict how mature someone is. In fact, I've met some 12 year olds that are more mature than some 30 year olds I know.

In addition, with a system like this in place, I also think there would be more of an incentive to lie about how old you are. This is already happening with open chat, and it would probably happen here as well.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Explorer
Sep 25, 2012
60
Vanessa Mythdust on Jan 5, 2017 wrote:
It's an interesting idea, but it would probably be tough to implement. It also is based on the assumption that all people over the age of 18 are mature. I don't think that's always necessarily the case. Age is merely a number and doesn't accurately depict how mature someone is. In fact, I've met some 12 year olds that are more mature than some 30 year olds I know.

In addition, with a system like this in place, I also think there would be more of an incentive to lie about how old you are. This is already happening with open chat, and it would probably happen here as well.

~Vanessa Mythdust
True there, I'm 19 and act like I'm 14

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
I wish there was a "Thumbs Up" option here. I would choose it.

Any post that never got Moderator Approval would be left so that only other 18+ accounts could see it - and the same would be true for the replies.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2219
seethe42 on Jan 5, 2017 wrote:
This would just lead to more work for moderators because it would create all the replies to posts that would have been moderated out. If you want forums without delay, there is always wizard101central.com
True and anyone considering making an account on wizard101central.com also needs to understand that even though posts are immediately posted to the thread, they are also moderated.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
657
I have young relatives who read postings on this forum; so I'm ok with it being moderated. However, you're in luck. In today's day and age, I bet you can find multiple web-based forums that already exist; where you can freely discuss topics not intended or appropriate for younger audiences. And if one doesn't exist, what a fantastic opportunity to go ahead and create the perfect online non-moderated forum for like-minded individuals!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
and what of parents who took over their kid's account because they stopped playing, and cant get adult status for a few years? I probably cant get open chat till the account's age turns 18; another 8 years. There's plenty of people like me out there. We started this account when my son was maybe 6. I havent been a minor in about 30 years, yet I dont have open chat because of the age assigned to the account. Im not saying Im being treated unfairly, nor am I asking KI to change anything, Im suggesting to consider a situation that is totally valid, and would penalize me because of me being honest about my son's age when we created the account.

Hero
Nov 22, 2015
772
I think a better idea would be for Wizard101 filters to be applied to posts. If you don't want to have to deal with the filters, then instead you have to deal with the delay.

Hero
Nov 22, 2015
772
Also, I think it would be great if people could be able to view their un-approved posts after submission, for reasons like editing.