Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Earthquake and Orthrus myth spells?

1
AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 27, 2009
127
I am a level 46 myth wizard (Conjurer) and I am generally pleased with myth. However, I think in addition to taking away shields and blades, the damage needs to be increased to the Earthquake spell because it is underpowered. Being a 6 pip spell, it needs to at least take away 450- 500.
Now for Orthrus. I think it is great how it attacks twice but compared to the other lvl 48 spells, it is not that great because it neither stuns nor heals you in any way. Also, it only attacks one enemy unlike many other lvl 48 spells.

And just throwing this out there, Myth needs to have some better defenses, not to get picky.

What do you think?

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
49
I was talking to people the other day while fighting Malistaire.
One girl has a fire dragon thing that attacks all enemies & the other girl said Ice has one that does the same.
My friend is storm & her awesome card hits all enemies too.
I think the Orthrus card should hit all enemies too.. I feel it's a waste of pips as sometimes it does almost the same amount of damage I can achieve with my Minotaur.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
13
well the thing abouth earthquake is that i know it does not a lot of damage but the fack that it does take away all shields is helpful enough. i do not have the earthquake card yet but i have used a treasure card of it. that and a few buffs and shields and it can do that much damage.

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
128
Orthrus is a great spell. Is it worth 7 pips? No. Besides saving up 7 pips, you have to double up on traps to make it do enough damage to make it do enough damage to anyone other than Storm enemies.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
174
A lot of people don't realize this, but Orthrus does more than just attack twice. It doesn't say on the card but when Orthrus attacks the first time, it removes all shields and traps on the opponent, whether they are valid or no. I've seen this card remove 3 absorb shields, a storm shield, and a death shield in one attack(which haapened to be its first attack). As for earthquake, yes I agree its attack could be bumped up just a bit.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
49
The only BAD thing about Earthquake is that it also removes shields you or someone else cast.
It should just remove THEIR shields, not ours.

As for the Orthrus, it should still attack them all, not just one like all the other schools.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
174
Actually earthquake DOES only affect opponents, because my blades and shields have never been removed by an ally's earthquake. Its damage outpit just needs to be increased, that's all

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
128
cbfan14 wrote:
A lot of people don't realize this, but Orthrus does more than just attack twice. It doesn't say on the card but when Orthrus attacks the first time, it removes all shields and traps on the opponent, whether they are valid or no. I've seen this card remove 3 absorb shields, a storm shield, and a death shield in one attack(which haapened to be its first attack). As for earthquake, yes I agree its attack could be bumped up just a bit.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer


I've had Orthrus for a few weeks and I can assure you that it does NOT remove any shields. It will knock a myth or tower shield out of the way to make room for the 2nd attack, but it does not remove storm, fire or any other schools shields.

In fact, after realizing tonight that he is the only level 48 spell that doesn't attack all enemies, I am extremely ticked off. I helped some friends finish The great Spiral tonight and I was just more in the way than anything. Their level 48 spells made quick work of all enemies we came across. I was much more affective using a couple of blades and Humongofrog than trying to use Orthrus.

Survivor
Nov 02, 2008
29
Thanks for bringing this up.
Myth is a wonderful school, innovative with the two hit Mintaur and the fabulous multi hit Frog and shield eliminating Earth Quake, wow what a line up.
Orthrus seems lack luster in this group and adds to a list of cards by Myth school that must be heavily cuddled to produce a high hit like other schools have and pay less attention to.
It seems the time Orthrus takes to finish it’s cast is in direct proportion to it’s set up, long and frustrating, it hits only one
I am let down by Myth school and although being close to his grandmaster status think others I fight with cringe at the set up for my cards.
I was really hoping for a return to a straight hitting Cyclops only with a seven pip punch that hits all.
I see Death, Life and Balance in the hierarchy with Storm (remaining true to its 70%) and Ice being good. For some reason Fire is fizzled to death (what’s up with that?) and Myth just takes so much to happen.
Oh well forewarned and all that.

Thanks,
Oran Jade Hunter

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
128
cbfan14 wrote:
Actually earthquake DOES only affect opponents, because my blades and shields have never been removed by an ally's earthquake. Its damage outpit just needs to be increased, that's all

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer


Earthquake doesn't remove blades and shields from YOU, it removes any traps you may have set on the enemy.

So if you have a Death trap placed on an enemy and someone comes along and casts Earthquake, then your trap is gone. Cast all the things yoi want on yourself, those will be fine. But anything cast on the enemy is gone.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
1
nlhf1995 is right i'm a lvl. 48 and earthquake should do more.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
49
cbfan14 wrote:
Actually earthquake DOES only affect opponents, because my blades and shields have never been removed by an ally's earthquake. Its damage outpit just needs to be increased, that's all

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer


Yes, it DOES only affect the opponents.
But say my friend casts storm shields on all the opponents and then I hit with earthquake.
Guess what? I just knocked out her shields.
If I'd have known the spells in Myth were this pathetic, I'd have trained elsewhere.
I wish there was a one off option to change your school.

Community Leader
crusher2488 wrote:

In fact, after realizing tonight that he is the only level 48 spell that doesn't attack all enemies, I am extremely ticked off. I helped some friends finish The great Spiral tonight and I was just more in the way than anything. Their level 48 spells made quick work of all enemies we came across. I was much more affective using a couple of blades and Humongofrog than trying to use Orthrus.


Yeah, I have to echo this. Humongofrog and Earthquake do comparable damage and hit all targets, but Earthquake costs more and takes out all of your team's carefully laid traps right along with the shields your enemies have up. And unless you're playing solo, that makes it more of a hindrance than a help.

Orthrus does not take out any extra protections, but because of the double hit, you have to lay twice the traps to really beef op the spell. By that time, your team has already cleared the board of bad guys. I've been saying all along that this should be a 2-hit, multi target spell. As it is, it's nowhere near comparable to the other level 48 spells.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
174
That's where timing comes in; your example is the same as me playing a feint only to have it wasted on a 1 pip spell. If the opponent was well shielded earthquake would've actually helped your friend, and your earthquake would at least remove any blades he has, helping stop a strong counterattack. You can also save earthquake until after he plays his spell, removing any leftover shields and blades. Either way, you've got to think when your spell; pay attention to what your friends are casting, and don't hinder them!

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necrmancer

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
2
All I want to know is , is this how Orthrus is staying? 1 target?
or was this a bug? or suposed to be hitting all the targets?

Survivor
May 28, 2009
3
Actually Orthrus is great! The damge of Orthrus is 800 The orther spells don't do as much damage I talked to a master conjurer and he told me that! So it's great for defeating one opponent. For example, If a monster has 789 health left Orthrus will kill it easily while spells like firedragon will still leave it standing. Earthquake is pretty good, too. Yeah I agree it's attack points aren't the good but it can remove the opponents boost like plus 70% attack and your plus ward! Myth rules!


Aprrentice Conjurer,

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
15
nlhf1995 wrote:
I am a level 46 myth wizard (Conjurer) and I am generally pleased with myth. However, I think in addition to taking away shields and blades, the damage needs to be increased to the Earthquake spell because it is underpowered. Being a 6 pip spell, it needs to at least take away 450- 500.
Now for Orthrus. I think it is great how it attacks twice but compared to the other lvl 48 spells, it is not that great because it neither stuns nor heals you in any way. Also, it only attacks one enemy unlike many other lvl 48 spells.

And just throwing this out there, Myth needs to have some better defenses, not to get picky.

What do you think?


Orthrus is fine as is. It a GREAT SPELL!!! Being able to get around one shield a hugh advantage... very very very hugh. (help big time when going second in duels).

Earthquake is fine too. It not about the damage it does but the remove of shields. Nothing ruins a fire,storm, or ice when they are about to attack and you just wipe their attack bouns from them. MU HA HA HA!!!

Defender
Dec 14, 2008
101
alanlikeswizard101 wrote:
Actually Orthrus is great! The damge of Orthrus is 800 The orther spells don't do as much damage I talked to a master conjurer and he told me that! So it's great for defeating one opponent. For example, If a monster has 789 health left Orthrus will kill it easily while spells like firedragon will still leave it standing. Earthquake is pretty good, too. Yeah I agree it's attack points aren't the good but it can remove the opponents boost like plus 70% attack and your plus ward! Myth rules!


Aprrentice Conjurer,


orthrus does 50 myth then 650 myth storm lord does 690 and stuns ALL enemies..... big difference myth is very kill one enemy at a time with the minotaur pet to shield and taunt while you pick them off one by one

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
3
myth is good...myth is more about picking people off one by one...not like the other schools were they attack all...
master conjurer
blaze thorn

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
11
Although I agree with you about orthrus I can't about earthquake. I mean it doesn't do much damage because it gets rid of ALL blades and shields and if the enemies don't have any shields or blades their attacks won't be as strong and then other people can pick them off. But with orthrus I have to agree with you it should do to all enemies.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2008
4
I am confused. I looked forward to earthquake to use it only twice and then pull from the deck. It DID remove all my traps. And, its hit is only 310 w/o power-ups.

However, I see others on the boards claim that it only removed the enemy's power ups, etc. So, what's going on? Is removing my traps a bug? Do others see it leaving all their traps intact?

It seems like a card that can only be used beneficially in the most specific of, and rare, situations, is a lame top card at best. In a group battle if I removed everyone's power ups from the enemy, I'd be exiled!

I did post a suggestion... and it seems that most people feel like I do, so maybe they'll fix it... ? (Does that ever happen?)

p.s. and I do think Myth IS a good school (with Life second). The minion minotaur, that others complain about because it never hits hard, keeps me safe with it's taunting.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
23
I have a Myth Wizard but he is only level 7, so I don't know much about the
Myth Schools. But from what I've seen about Earthquake and Orthrus, I think I know what they are really made for. Earthquake really isn't meant for damage. The damage is just added on to make it more useful. What it really is meant for is actually pretty useful if you think about it. Earthquake is very unique because no other spell can do what it does, it takes away all charms and shields and traps to all enemies. That is really helpful, because it doesn't really matter if your group goes first or least for it, either way it does what its supposed to do and really helps in team battle if you can't hit becasue of shields. Myth Wizards should be proud to have this, the damage isn't everything. And about Orthrus, I actually think it is good the way it is. Orthrus is good for mainly good for battles with less people. But group is fine as well, Orthrus takes awhile to power up, but once it is, I think its worth it. It takes a big chunk out of an enemies health, sure it probably won't kill the enemy, but if any of your team uses Storm Lord or Dragon right after it will kill the enemy. Orthrus is for picking of an enemy one by one. I think it is fine the way it is. Plus, Myth already has a Group attack spell, two as a matter of fact. Earthquake and Humongofrog. The level 48 spells are group attack because the schools don't have many group attacks. Myth already has two so they are good. Though I do think that Orthrus attack should at least be increased a bit with damage.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
5
well i was a little mad when i heard orthrus was only to one enemy, even if it did amazing damage. But these spells came out in april so earthquake was the only rank 6 spell that attacked all enemies and did something after it. did you thinl about that

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
1
i to love myth and myth is the best in my opinion but i think it needs a little more. i think orthrus should attack all enemies and earthquake being a 6 pip spell should do 450 yo 500 damage and take away all shields, also the spell pierce should take away blades to and not just shields because i could take away a myth shield by using a weak myth attack like the one from my wand for no pips and then attack where as pierce uses one pip to take away a shield i could take away with no pips. and since orthrus is a one enemy attack i think that it should do alot more damage or simply make it attack everyone. i though i just might share my concerns :D

Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
3
nero3450 wrote:
i to love myth and myth is the best in my opinion but i think it needs a little more. i think orthrus should attack all enemies and earthquake being a 6 pip spell should do 450 yo 500 damage and take away all shields, also the spell pierce should take away blades to and not just shields because i could take away a myth shield by using a weak myth attack like the one from my wand for no pips and then attack where as pierce uses one pip to take away a shield i could take away with no pips. and since orthrus is a one enemy attack i think that it should do alot more damage or simply make it attack everyone. i though i just might share my concerns :D


I think that orthrus is a great spell and i like the fact that it has two attacks... yes it takes two traps but if the enemy has a shield it also takes that away with the first attack...... I think orthrus should be a little bit more powerful though because if you look at the other schools, they have attacks that attack all doing around 400-700 damage to ALL enemies... Orthrus should be a little bit more powerful, but overall I love the spell it's awesome!!!!!! The reason KingsIsle made orthrus, I think, is because myth has both earthquake and humongofrog that attack all enemies... so..... they might have wanted to make the lvl 48 myth spell attack only one target... That is one way myth is different from the other schools........... :) :)

Tyler- Level 50 (Grandmaster Myth)


1